Chapter Four

Make You Feel My Love

You stood in front of the priest in your personal study, taking a shaky breath as you signed all the paperwork and official documents needed for the marriage and coronation later. As most of the influential nobles and pretty much everyone important were already in the castle for the tournament that had been canceled after your father’s murder, you decided to simply go ahead with the other arrangements. The priest and Hakyeon had both decided that your wedding would appear best as a small ceremony and the coronation to follow a few weeks later. It would be a long month, and you were sure to be exhausted in every way you could be exhausted, but your people needed you to be strong.

“Princess?” Sanghyuk’s voice brought you back from your thoughts and you turned to face the young knight. “If you’ve settled everything, where would you like to go now? Should we retire to your chambers? You look exhausted enough to collapse again.”

You could tell the young knight was worried about you, and the threat of collapsing wasn’t too much of a stretch with how the last two days had been, but you simply wanted to get everything over with and try to find some sense of normalcy again. Of course your life was never going to be normal in the same way ever again, for many reasons.

“I want to go check on Hakyeon first. Knowing how he is, I’m sure he’s driving Sir Taekwoon out of his mind from being stuck in bed.” You smiled to yourself at Sanghyuk’s laugh. The young knight had quickly fit himself into your small household and seemed to completely hit it off with Hakyeon, which was a definite mark of someone’s character in your eyes. Plus the knight didn’t seem afraid of you and your position, he continued to treat you like any other person without holding back.

Sanghyuk nodded and held out a hand to motion you ahead, walking beside you. “I’m sure if he gets to be too much Sir Taekwoon could always shut him up. Or just walk out. I’m not sure why he’s agreed to stay and help with how things are at the moment anyways. I know his prince and Prince Jaehwan are cousins, but surely there’s a limit to his duties right?”

The look he gave you was clear that he was both curious and hoping that he wouldn’t have to play nursemaid to your advisor, and it made you laugh. “Why? Are you second-guessing your pledge to me?”

Sanghyuk stopped in his tracks with a frown, shaking his head. “Of course not! Why would you doubt me like that, princess? I swore to protect and serve you and I am not going to back down on my word.”

You smiled softly at the knight, reaching to place a hand on his arm. “I was merely teasing. Of course I don’t doubt your loyalty. Especially now.” You shook your head with a small sigh. “Let’s go see how Hakyeon is doing. Then I might try and rest before the final night of father’s rites.”

You walked the rest of the way to Hakyeon’s room in silence, your thoughts a mass of tangled strings that you were too exhausted to try and sort out. Although when you reached Hakyeon’s room, you raised an eyebrow at the sight of Sir Taekwoon and Sir Wonshik sitting outside playing a dice game. When they noticed you, Sir Wonshik quickly jumped up and bowed, nearly tripping over his own feet.

“Princess. What are you doing here? I mean, weren’t you meeting with the priest?” Wonshik blushed slightly and you grew even more suspicious.

“I finished settling everything. I came to check on Hakyeon. I should ask you what you’re doing here. I thought Jaehwan had a council with his father and uncle.” You raised an eyebrow, noticing the knight’s nervousness as he stood in front of Hakyeon’s door. “Sir Wonshik? What is going on?”

He shook his head, shuffling nervously on his feet and avoiding your eyes. “Nothing, princess.”

You heard a small sort of scoffing noise from Sir Taekwoon and frowned slightly. “Step aside, Sir Wonshik.” When he shook his head, you raised an eyebrow before turning to Sanghyuk. “If you would?”

Sanghyuk nodded with a smirk before taking a step towards Sir Wonshik, who jumped slightly. You took the opportunity and slipped around the knight and entered Hakyeon’s room only to stop at the sight before you.

Jaehwan jumped to his feet at the sound of the door being thrown open, his cheeks blushing as he quickly shoved the folder of papers he had been holding behind his back, accidentally dropping a few pages. “Princess! I didn’t-”

Hakyeon’s laughter made you turn your attention to your best friend, who was sitting up in his bed with several folders of papers scattered across his lap. “I knew this would happen.”

You walked farther into the room, watching as Jaehwan hurriedly knelt to gather the papers he had dropped, keeping his eyes away from yours. “What’s going on? Jaehwan? Hakyeon?” You glanced between the two of them, frown crossing your face. With all the unrest and upheaval, you really didn’t want to suspect your soon to be husband and your best friend of conspiring against you already.

“The prince asked for lessons. On your kingdom, and about you.” Hakyeon gave you a smirk and you felt the frown dropping. “He was right in suspecting that I would know the most about how your kingdom works. And in knowing the most about you.” Hakyeon’s wink made you blush and drop your eyes to the floor.

“It wasn’t like that! I just .. we’re about to be married. I wanted to try and be a good husband to you. Even if you may not have picked me, I don’t want you to hate me.” You turned to look at Jaehwan, shocked to find him staring at you with an almost vulnerable expression. You felt your heart flutter for a moment before suppressing the thought. You couldn’t let yourself get pulled in so easily. You had to keep a level head and think of your kingdom first.

Sanghyuk’s laughter brought you out of your thoughts and you turned to find the young knight nearly doubled over in laughter. “I am going to enjoy serving you both. This is more entertaining than the bard’s tales.”

You glared at Sanghyuk, even though he didn’t seem to notice, only stopping his laughter when Sir Taekwoon hit him in the side. “Regardless what you think of your royals, laughing at them is against the knight’s code. Wait until they’re not in front of you. Then you can laugh.”

Hakyeon burst out laughing at Taekwoon’s words as well, giving you a smirk. “True. Regardless of what they may do or ask of you, keeping your opinions to yourself is the utmost importance in serving royalty. Always keep that in mind. Especially with our princess.”

You turned to glare at Hakyeon, a little shocked at the sudden group attack. Then Sir Wonshik stepped into the room with a low chuckle. “I doubt our princess could be quite as bad as him though. Perhaps they are a perfect match then?”

You turned to Jaehwan, both of you seeming incredulous at the teasing from those in your households. “I think we may need to restaff our households when we marry. It seems we have unruly and disrespectful people in place at the moment.” You smirked slightly at his smile. “We have a full week, but surely within a fortnight we’ll have time to compile a more loyal household.”

Jaehwan was about to respond when a knock from the doorway caused you to turn and see one of the kitchen servants looking nervously around the room at everyone. “Uhm, pardon your highness, Cook asked me to tell you dinner was prepared and we’re set for the final night of our late king’s rites.”

The reminder was like a bucket of cold water dumped over your head and you felt your spirits dropping again. You gave the servant a nod and watched as they hurried back out of the room, no doubt made nervous by the three knights who had all quickly drawn their swords at the sound of the knocking out of habit. You took a shaky breath before turning back to the others. “Shall we?”

You watched as Sir Taekwoon moved to help Hakyeon from his bed, supporting him as he started to make his way to the great hall. Sir Wonshik was quick to move on Hakyeon’s other side, the two knights practically carrying your advisor between them. Sanghyuk stayed by your side, waiting for you to move. As much as you might want this to be some horrible nightmare, you knew that waiting around would solve nothing. You took another deep breath and squared yourself for the ceremony that would await.

Faltering slightly as your knees threatened to give out for just a moment, you were a little surprised to feel Jaehwan’s arm steadying you as he looked down at you, concern on his face. “Are you okay? Let me help you.” You didn’t want to appear weak in front of your people, but a part of you simply wanted to bury your face against his chest and sob again. Instead, you simply nodded and stood a little straighter, compromising by holding his arm in what you hoped could pass as simply a royal escorting pose.

“You can do this, my princess. I’ll be by your side through it all. Lean on me if you must.” Jaehwan’s voice was low enough that you knew no one could overhear him as you walked towards the great hall, and you felt your heart give another small flutter.