1/2

Dreamwalker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Have you ever chased after something unreachable?

Something you didn't even fully grasp the meaning of it but you just can't help about run after it?

Mark is in the middle of experiencing it all. Despite inhaling deeper and faster, his lungs were barely catching up with his feet flying on the dark ground as his eyes were locked on a white dot in the far distance through the void.

It always seems to speed up even faster whenever he rushed towards it, yet he just knew he couldn't let go, he couldn't lose sight of it again.

His pursue was abruptly stopped as his body was propelled forward. His eyes snapped open to meet the cab driver and Jisung's questioning looks.

It took him a minute to remember where he was at that moment and quickly get out of the vehicle, not before leaving a tip to the driver.

Two familiar figures were quickly walking towards them as once as their eyes caught Mark's, both with the same happy grin dotting their faces.

He watched his younger brother running into grandmother's arms for a hug as grandpa turned towards with him wrapping his arms around his shoulder similarly.

It has been so long since he has come back here, Mark reminisced. Jisung and him used to have so much fun at this summer house when they were younger. The red tilt and the brick walls triggered a vague memory in the back of Mark's mind.

The neighbors next door seems to have decided to enjoy the pleasant weather as well as they greeted the grandparents Lee and their grandsons with a friendly wave of hand from their front garden as their youngest son curiously glanced at the newcomers.

The young boy shyly approached them once grandpa Lee waved at him to come closer. He politely introduced himself as Chenle and said that he was a year older than Jisung.

Two boys of similar ages immediately hit it off despite a little language barrier and were already making plans to see Chenle's collection of Pokemon figurines when they arrived at the front porch.

To Mark's relief, they still had the courtesy to ask if he wanted to join them, but not wanting to disturb their fun, he simply shook his head and told them to have fun.

His eyes followed the two boys running away and returned inside once they safely arrived at the neighboring house.

After sorting out his and Jisung's luggage and gifted to grandpa and grandma the presents his parents prepared, Mark found himself setting on the porch, not knowing what to do next. Donghyuck would only arrive tomorrow, in the meanwhile Mark would have to figure out a way to entrain himself to those long aimless hours.

A voice on the back of his head was nagging him to get up and sneak his lyrics notebooks out to work on in secret, but it will be contrary to the reason that his parents suddenly decided of sending him on this summer trip.

It all started last fall when Mark was torn between choosing to pursue his second year of high school specializing in science or music. The first option would be judged preferable by his parents since it will lead him to a bright future, yet the second one was speaking to his soul and sparked a passion that he never he could possibly have had before he first stepped into the school's of hip hop club.

Not wanting to disappoint his parents or compromise his dream, he went with doing both, and it turns out to be even more than exhausting than he ever expected.

The never ending exams and homework added to the practice, music composition and rap competition he joined behind his parents' back, Mark feared everyday that he would finally crack under the pressure and have a meltdown. His parents were concerned about the state of his health and were implying more and more directly that when that if a pass-time is consuming him too much, maybe it would be better to let go. The leader of the rap club has also hinted a couple of times that he couldn't continue on like so and needed to make a choice, a choice that Mark had no clue how to choose. On the edge of mental breakdown, his high school therapist suggested he should get some fresh air of the suburbia in the summer that it will definitely do him some good to his current condition.

Therefore, his parents sent him on this journey in the hope of relaxing his stressed out body and soul from the tiring second year in high school and recharge his energy before going back in fall and making the big decision on college application.

Though he was supposedly on vacation, his brain got used to be productive whenever his eyes are open, so there he was, debating if he should get working on the rap lyrics he needed to finish for his friends' performance or take a nap instead under the sunny rays and pull an all-nighter instead.

His grandmother passing by to retrieve the hanging clothes seemed to have noticed his boredom and asked him whether he'd like to go help pick up a few ingredients missing for the dinner. She always made sure to remind him there is no need to hurry and take a look around the village before he comes home.

Mark accepted the offer with gratitude and took the chance to clear his mind. He bided Farwell to his grandparents before directing his feet towards the exit.

The streets were quiet and clean, and the trees next to the sidewalk offered a nice shade to the passersby from the burning late afternoon sun. An earthy scent mixed with the blooming wild flowers filled the air. A small village like so was something foreign and refreshing to Mark as a nice change from the chaos of a busy city like Vancouver.

Fortunately, their summer cottage was situated in an area with a large Korean population in Hakone, therefore he didn't have too many difficulties finding his way around.

He wandered around aimlessly and enjoyed the lovely breeze that brushed against his blonde curls.

After passing by a few roaming cats, something unexpected was waiting for him as he turned the corner of the block.

A long stone stars leading high up the mountain attracted his gaze. On top of it, two red wooden columns were supporting the gate of what Mark presumed was a Shinto shrine that he has previously saw on TV.

An uneasy chill runs down his spin, yet his body was being pulled towards it as his legs started climbing up by their own. Stone lanterns decorated the sides of the path and Mark couldn't tell where but feel a certain sense of familiarity in them. Soon he reached the entrance elaborately sculpted which was impressive to a Korean Canadian kid who hasn't had much chance coming back to appreciate the finesse of Buddhist arts.

He strolled around the different parts of the temple and regretted not bringing his phone to capture a few of the amazing structures of the sacred place.

Among all the flourishing plants and greenery around him, there was something in particular that caught his attention.

A tree denuded of all leaves and flowers was standing tall in the middle of the shrine surrounded by a low metallic fence making the intruder wonder about the story behind its existence. A familiar white light shaped like a flower flashed down the trunk as Mark quickly found himself curled down reaching for it.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" A voice suddenly resonated from behind startled the young boy a little almost hitting his head on a branch in the process as he tried to stand up.

The owner of the voice was a man in his twenties with a sharp gaze, glistering in amber under the sunlight almost like the ones of a feline. He had dark hair cut short with bangs almost hanging down to his eyes and was wearing a simple black robe.

The man seemed to been startled as well once he had a clearer view of the younger's face and has been since staring him in contemplation for an uncomfortably long time with a serious frown twisting his eyebrows. As Mark was debating if the latter would notice if he just slowly back off and start running, a strong hand grabbed him stopping him in the motion, forcing him to turn around as the stranger opened his mouth:

"Have you been here before?"

"No" Mark shook his head a little taken aback with the sudden interrogation, lowering his eyes to his shoes and nervously twisting his feet.

"Don't lie!" frowned the stranger, his intense gaze almost piercing through his head.

"No, I don't remember ever coming here before" Mark replied with a louder voice raising his hands up defensively and added sincerely "I swear"

Mark let out a small sigh of relief as he felt the hand on his shoulder soften. It seems like the man judged his answer honest enough before turning back, telling him coldly:

"Go home, don't ever come back."

Mark didn't need him to repeat twice before quickly turning on his heels and rushing towards the stairs running down.

Yet the man called out stopping him once again before he can walk away. Staring back at Mark's questioning look, the stranger stepped closer and bit his lips before saying with a hesitant voice:

"Dreams are mirrors of one's deepest desire, even when forgotten, but it is important to remember that they are merely a mirage, an illusion. Don't let it fool you, since the thin line between reality and dream is delicate and can be deadly when crossed"

Mark had the urge to burst into a laughter since it sounded like verses of some script that Donghyuck used to practice for theater but instead, he had to opted for the second best option which was asking carefully: "Can you explain a little more?"

The dark haired man shook his head and murmured "I have already said too much." before shooing him off again "Now go."

This time Mark left for good and definitely made mental notes of avoiding this place in the future.

 

Mark mentioned the weird encounter he had in the forest to his grand father after the supper who nodded at the anecdote and exclaimed:

"Oh, that must be Taeyong then. He's the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter