It's All In The News

It's All In The News

Prompt #: 1
Title: It’s all in the News
Pairing/Main character(s): Baekhyun/Chanyeol
Rating: PG-13
Word Count: 3029
Warning(s): none
Summary: News reporter Baekhyun is both internally confused and furious as he reports the recent scandal involving his rapper boyfriend Chanyeol. 
Author's Note: Ah, this probably doesn’t make any sense. But I hope it’s enough for a quick, cute read! 


 

 

 

They’re in the middle of an intense battle of wills.

Baekhyun sits on the far end of the sofa, eyes narrowed in fierce concentration as he stares Chanyeol down. His face is set; what normally holds an angelic expression now ridden with 
tension.

Chanyeol on the other hand is the complete opposite, the perfect picture of smug happiness with his tattered jean-clad legs up on Baekhyun’s coffee table, back leaned comfortably on Baekhyun’s cream colored couch like he owned the place.

A self-satisfied grin adorned his face putting his left dimple on display, charisma rolling off of him from that one single move. Baekhyun glanced at his dimple—momentarily distracted—before glaring at him. The other replied by annoying him further; lifting an arm to push his sunglasses up on top of his still styled hair. He winked at him. Baekhyun’s heart did a little leap.

It became clear who was at the losing end of this battle.

Baekhyun groaned in frustration and flung a couch pillow in his direction. “Fine, you jerk. I won’t watch your music video shoot. I’ll wait for the online release on midnight like everybody 
else.”

Chanyeol slid the sunglasses back down until it rested on the high bridge of his nose and grinned, all dazzling pearly whites. “Thanks babe, you’re the best.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes up to the high heavens at the mocking pet name. “It’s not fair that you keep winning our mini-fights like this. You’re a performer, a rapper at that—of course you’re charismatic. You’re supposedto be charismatic. And I’m just a straight-edged news reporter—I have as much charisma as the next drying wall of paint.” Baekhyun knows he’s being petty and 
whiny but his ego can only take so many hits before he starts breaking down.

His boyfriend wiggled his eyebrows up and down mockingly and smacked his puckered lips in his direction. “Nothing bad with using your assets to your advantage. They’re called assets for a reason,” He pauses, eyes going unnaturally sharp behind the frames unbeknownst to the other. “And please, don’t start with that ‘I’m not charismatic’ crap. I’ve been to your studio before, I’ve seen your co-workers eye you from afar. I recognize those looks. And let me tell you they’re not 
at all pure.”

Baekhyun scoffed. “Pft. I highly doubt that. But really—back to the issue at hand. Why am I banned from entering your music video shoot again? I was always present back stage even 
before we started dating! Why change that tradition now?”

Chanyeol laughed and moved a long leg to nudge over Baekhyun’s. “You were there long before because you were a creepy stalker wanting to get a piece of this.” He puffed his chest out, flexed his upper arms and tilted his jaw up. When his boyfriend makes a strangled noise of weak protest, he lets out a hearty chuckle. “Patience, babe. I promise you’d love it, you’ll see.”

-

“Ready in ten people!”

Jongdae, the PD, waved his hands in the air and signalled for everyone to get in their places. They had ten seconds before they went live. The news reporters arranged their cue cards and the cameramen got into position.

Baekhyun fixed his tie.

Jongdae glanced around and saw the showbiz section vacant. “Hey! Has anyone seen Junmyeon?”

Everyone within hearing distance glanced around and shrugged.

“Huh. He’s running late. That’s rare.” Jongdae glanced at Baekhyun. “Hey Baek, can you cover for him just this time?”

Baekhyun, being used to report random sections of the news studio over the years readily agreed. “No problem Dae. But where is Junmyeon?”

He pursed his lips in thought but immediately shrugged it off. “No idea. But! The news must go on.” Jongdae glanced back behind him. “Someone hand me his cue cards, please!”

He snapped his fingers twice after when no one moved to follow his instruction, and immediately one of the interns standing at attention in the back of the room ran forward with a copy of Junmyeon’s cue cards. Jongdae took them and glanced at the cue cards before handing them over to Baekhyun.

“Here you go, Baek. You’ll come up after the weather report; you know the drill.”

Baekhyun took the papers and nodded. He reached for a bottle of water hidden behind the news table and chugged down a healthy amount. He exhaled and shook off the tiny nerves prickling his veins before every live broadcast. Then he thought of Chanyeol--thinking of his boyfriend always helped calm himself down.

“Alright—final positions everyone! And three…two…one…and we’re live!”

 

 

-

 

 

“And now for the daily Kwave buzz! Which Girl Group achieved an all-kill in the local and foreign charts lately, Baekhyun?” Taemin quips, while Wonder Girl’s Tell Meplays shortly in 
the background.

The camera zooms in on Baekhyun’s smiling face on the other side of the news room. He nods once in Taemin’s direction before talking. “Ah, these girls are new, Taemin. Rookies with a Girl Crush theme from YG Entertainment, fresh from their debut-- Blackpink is currently slaying it!” He says this in his most upbeat reporter voice, enthusiasm eminent in all the right places. “With wins in Inkigayo and M!Countdown, Blackpink is ready to win your hearts with their songs ‘Boombayah’ and ‘Whistle’.”

The camera pans out and shows an AVP of Blackpink for the viewers.

Out of the camera’s intimidating lenses for a while, Baekhyun uses this split second break to rearrange and look over the other showbiz cue cards he’s supposed to report. Eyes trained on the cards, he does a double take when his eyes pass over a chunk of words that suspiciously form Chanyeol’s name. His mouth dries and he involuntarily swallows.

The AVP is over and Baekhyun is once again shown live.

“Aren’t the girls awesome? Please always show them some love!” he pairs the word ‘love’ with a finger heart and a cutesy smile, earning small chuckles from the news staff in the back. “In similar news--another trending name from the music industry Hip Hop Legend and Rapper Park Chanyeol is under fire as still shots of his unreleased music video leaks online. Naver search results blow up as provocative shots of Chanyeol and resident goddess Im Nana infiltrate the World Wide Web.”

Baekhyun’s jaw tightens as he manages to spit out the last phrase, eyes shooting daggers as soon as the camera focused on him shuts off, watching the AVP of Chanyeol and Nana play out.

“That er,” he mutters under his breath.

Jongdae, standing behind one of the larger monitors near Baekhyun overhears and glances at him, alarmed. To alert ears that would’ve been heard loud and clear in the broadcast. He widens his eyes at him and Baekhyun looks away, lips pinched in a tight line.

He cracks his knuckles under the table in an effort to calm himself, the AVP now showing cuts from Chanyeol’s latest music show guestings. One by one his fingers knuckles go crack, each crunch lowering his rage half a level.

The AVP ends and Baekhyun is forced to finish the report with his temper still pretty high above the normal range, his finger joints aching for nothing.

“Though our sources come from numerous fan sites and Naver itself, neither Chanyeol’s or Nana’s companies have confirmed or denied the artist’s collaboration or the pictures itself. But 
what we know for sure is that this project is something everyone should look forward to. Stay tuned for more of the latest Kwave news here on SBC Station. My name is Byun Baekhyun and goodnight, Korea.”

 

 

--

 

 

Baekhyun’s face became eerily impassive after they ended the broadcast, all traces of his previous rage gone as if it never happened.

Jongdae noticed the change in his friend’s demeanor, feeling a little unnerved at the lack of expression on Baekhyun’s usually expressive face. Sensing that this had something to do with 
Chanyeol’s unexpected news earlier, he went over to his friend as soon as their news crew started packing.

“Hey Baek…”

Not a lot of people knew Baekhyun was dating Chanyeol—in fact in Baekhyun’s line of work only Jongdae knew, and in Chanyeol’s case only a handful of his friends knew. They wanted to have a normal relationship as much as their careers allowed them to by not going public. Guess this had to have minor setbacks sooner than either party was expecting.

“I’m fine, just surprised. But fine.” Baekhyun showed him a cheery flick of the thumb to prove his point.

Jongdae was having none of it. “Come on. I know what you’re thinking. You can tell me, we’re friends, remember?” He nudged Baekhyun’s bony shoulder with his own and earned an exasperated chuckle from the other.

“I know Dae, I know. And I am fine--at least right now. I trust Chanyeol--some misunderstanding probably happened along the way. You know how internet rumors work--they’re made twice as big as they normally are.”

Baekhyun wrung his hands together as he and Jongdae exited the news studio, his satchel heavy against his side. His eyes scan the corridors for any signs of his favorite giant, heart dropping a little when he finds none.

He turns to his friend who begins walking to his right where the editing rooms are. “I’ll go look for Chanyeol now, see you tomorrow Dae.”

Jongdae looks back and gives him a sad smile, retracting his steps a bit so he can give Baekhyun 
a comforting hug. “See you buddy. I’m a call away if you need to talk about it.”

Baekhyun squeezes him back briefly, shooting him a grateful smile when they pull away. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

Jongdae grins at him one more time before walking away.

Baekhyun spins on his heel, hikes the satchel strap up his shoulder and begins walking in the opposite direction.

He takes a left turn towards the building’s main exit, nodding at some of the familiar faces greeting him as he passes by them. As soon as he’s outside, he squints at the sunset before bringing his wrist up to look at the time.

Noticing that it was around the time Chanyeol finishes his photo shoots he begins walking to the farthest building in the compound, Lights and Concepts, where the large photo studios are.

 

--

 

Chanyeol tied the robe draped around his shoulders by a random stage assistant, silently thankful for the warmth covering his shivering skin. He hated doing shirtless photo shoots the most (though he would never admit that to anyone) since studios were always equipped with at least four boxed typed air conditioners blasting 15 degrees, the gigantic lights trained on him doing just enough to keep his s from popping off.

He’s whisked off to his private changing room, his manager and the magazine’s associate editor following suit to thank him for a job well done. Seconds after the associate editor leaves, 
Chanyeol’s manager Do Kyungsoo hands him a snapback and large lens sunglasses. He takes it with caution, watching his manager’s face for anything that would give away his intent.

“And these are…” Chanyeol trails off, to which Kyungsoo—to his utter disbelief—responds with a wink.

“You’re free for the rest of the afternoon. Feel free to drop the rapper persona so you won’t get stalked easily.”

“Persona?” Chanyeol booms, mildly affronted. “I am legitimately hip!” He punctuates this statement with an obnoxious head tilt, pursed lower lip and a V sign.

Kyungsoo, unamused, rolls his large eyes before fixing them again on the giant. “Remember—don’t get caught. You’re already in deep as it is.” He turns around on his heel, tucking the clipboard he carries around everywhere containing Chanyeol’s schedules under his arm when he remembers something.

“Ah—I almost forgot,” he pauses, turning his head sideways to address Chanyeol. “Your music video release is tonight, don’t forget; 12 midnight as always.”

To this Chanyeol guffaws; baritone voice squeaking around the edges. He wheezes out another chuckle, shaking his head. “As if I would forget the rap of the century. But thanks anyway, Kyung!”

His manager turns his head back, flipping him the bird as he exits his private room.

Baekhyun enters before the door closes, all semblance of calm dropped as he doesn’t even spare Chanyeol’s manager a look.

The door slams closed and he starts marching towards the rapper standing in the middle of the room with wide, surprised eyes.

“Babe—“

“What is your relation with Im Nana?”

Chanyeol steps back when Baekhyun’s finger presses on the space in between his pectorals. “What?”

Baekhyun narrows his eyes at him, index finger pressing back a little harder. “You heard me.” He exhales, still looking pissed as he keeps eye contact with his boyfriend. “I had to report your 
little exhibitiontoday. Care to explain before I hit you upside the head?”

Chanyeol immediately put his hands up in defense, looking scared despite the massive difference in height. Sometimes Baekhyun was too feisty for his own good.

“I’m going to explain, calm down Baekhyunie.” He tentatively reaches out to hold the other by the shoulders. He shakes them off and so he puts his hands back down with a pout.

“…That was for the music video. You weren’t supposed to see that until later.” He’s still pouting, looking very much liked a kicked puppy that Baekhyun’s resolve wavers the tiniest bit. 
But he manages to hold his ground.

“You thought I would love seeing you with another person? Are you kidding me?” He raises a well-groomed eyebrow in judgment.

Chanyeol winces, nose wrinkling and one eye closing as his face scrunches. “It’s not like that. Just please—I don’t want to spoil anything yet. Wait for the release later. But trust me, I have eyes only for you. My Baekhyun~”. He says the last part in a singsong voice, and Baekhyun, despite his outer appearance of rage, slowly feels his anger melt away. His boyfriend can be 
adorable when he wanted to, which was bad news for him.

Baekhyun sighs, dropping his hand and the act of being angry. “I was just—surprised. No one in their right mind would be glad to hear news about their other half being with another person in a 
similar context.” He frowns, thin lips curving downwards. He’s no longer mad, just a little exhausted. It was a long day—and reporting Chanyeol’s ‘scandal’ took a toll on him and dented 
his spirits.

“Hey,” the other murmurs, slowly winding his gangly arms around his frame. He unconsciously leans into the comforting touch, Chanyeol’s warm hand cupping the base of his neck. “Don’t be sad. Like what that rapper PPAP or something said, ‘they’ve got nothin’ on you~baby. N-n-n-nothin’ on you baby.” He looks up at him in disbelief, Chanyeol only replying with a cheesy wink.

“Wow. You’re such a sap. I hate you.”

Baekhyun tries to free himself from the hug but Chanyeol only chuckles, pulling him closer. “Don’t lie to yourself. You love me.”

 

 

--

 

Baekhyun sits cross-legged on his bed as he waits for Chanyeol’s YouTube page to update. It’s a minute past midnight, and so far nothing has happened.

He munches on chips as he refreshes the page, the phone on top of his laptop lighting up as he receives a text. on his thumb to get rid of the extra cheese he swipes his phone screen open, Chanyeol’s text immediately popping up.

From: Yeollie
-It’s almost out!!!!!!!!!

Baekhyun snorts at the amount of exclamation points before hitting the call button. The other answers right away.

“Your company —it’s already past midnight.”

“Hello to you too, Baekhyunnie.” Chanyeol’s low voice floats through the speakers, and his teasing tone brings another smile to his face. “You’re already waiting on the page, I see.”

Baekhyun rolls his eyes despite the other not being able to see it. “But of course; I’m a supportive boyfriend. Plus I’m ready to yell at you if I ever find something I dislike.”Chanyeol’s chuckle from the other side rumbles through the speaker. “Sure. But-Oh-OH It’s out! Click it, Baekkie go go!”Baekhyun scrambles to click on the newly uploaded video while putting Chanyeol on 
speakerphone and setting the device back down. He bites his lower lip in sudden nervous anticipation, the first slide of his record label already on the screen.

It pans out to give way to the actual music video. He holds his breath and leans forward.

 

 

--

 

 

“Good morning, Korea! I am Byun Baekhyun and this is The Daily Buzz. Today’s headlines are coming your way courtesy of our field reporter, Kim Junmyeon.”

The camera shifts to show Junmyeon standing outside of the studio with a ready smile on his face. Baekhyun watches the screen as Junmyeon begins his daily report, when Chanyeol 
suddenly enters the frame and waves at the cameras.

Baekhyun almost falls over his desk, looking at the camera men and then back at the screen to see that they’re all smirking at him.

“Before we begin today’s headlines, let us first congratulate our colleague and friend Baekhyun for his engagement to award winning musician and legendary rapper, Park Chanyeol. Isn’t that right, Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol grins, his pearly whites glinting as the camera’s zoom in to catch his facial expression. “That’s right. My latest music video—the one uploaded on the page—was a fake. However the one that went viral minutes after that one, is real. A montage of a hundred pictures of Baekhyun to showcase the hundred sides of him I learned to love while my first ever ballad plays in the 
background.” He curls his hand into a fist and tilts his head towards the camera.

“But; first thing’s first. I’m going to enter the studio now.” He says and bows to Junmyeon before thecamera follows him as he makes his way inside the studio.

Baekhyun remains frozen in his seat, mouth agape as he watches everything unfold in slow-motion, like it isn’t quite real.

Chanyeol finally arrives and immediately goes over to where he is, getting down on one knee and holding out a ring.

 

“Marry me?”