[6] through the infinity and beyond

kodachrome

 

 

 

They are the damned children who shouldn't have existed. The result of immortal beings falling for the mortal ones, where the lust runs like Trojan horses in their genes, their blood ichor and wild, where love sinks into mere consumption of violent skin brushing, sculptured ones sinking low to Earth for wanting to feel the sense of mortality they do not have.

 

Ten draws the line between love and lust ever since he was told of the tales regarding Zeus' promiscuous habit. And how his late Titan goddess of a mother managed to escape through it all. His father is a sailor, finding her on the shore from his last adventure from the West.

His mother didn't literally die. She became an island instead, for a year after that, Zeus chased her from Olympus, thunders marching behind him and a bolt of lightning formed into a rope bounded to his arm. 

"It would have been a miraculous sight to see if he wasn't chasing your mother." His father told him every night every time Ten asks him of her. 

Unlike most parents, his father hides nothing from him about his mother. For him, his beautiful and kind mother should not be kept to secrets just because of her godly lineage. Like all the history that is told from one person to another, his mother was ethereal. Out of this world, charming and pleasant yet at the same time have that courage of a Spartan.

“Your mother often took me out In the night for a walk. Then, she somehow managed to stole the stars and arranged it into the layers above us. It never rained whenever we went out,” and he will continue how Ten reminds him so much of his mother. It is possible that the stars run in his veins.

In fact, it does. He is half-god, half-human, the half-blooded one. His powers aren’t brash and suitful for any combat fighting, but it mostly revolves around plants, seasons and weather. He could become greater and unbeatable, but showing it off too much means unwanted attention. He doesn’t like the idea to live like a god.

When he falls asleep, stars are awake inside his blood, burning and glowing his skin and flourishing happy dreams in luminescent possibilities that will come into his life.

Sooyoung first came to him in a dream. Her face was so vivid he is forced to remember her. Her eyes are vibrant yet a calm yellow like a gazelle, her lips dark maroon and her skin rosy like the first bloom of cherry blossom. An arrow rested gingerly behind her back, a golden one with beautiful carvings of her parents' tales. When you are half-god, the tales of your ancestors will be marked into you. Whether it will be in your weapon, your power or your body parts.

Because his mother is the titan goddess of nocturnal oracles and falling stars, he has the birthmark of a shooting star behind his left leg, reaching the heel of his feet. He is mostly awake in his dreams.

That is the reason why his night is endless and sometimes he doesn't feel like sleeping at all. The dreams keep him awake at night.

 

He makes the assumption how she is the descendant of Athena. That is, until he actually meets her.

 

All half-gods flock around her like her own feather, and when he stumbles to get away from the crowd, he catches a jittery voice. "That's Sooyoung, my cousin from Aphrodite!"

 

He spins his head at the familiar voice, meant to be heard by him. "Okay then," drawing the lineage inside his head, Jaehyun as the son of Apollo flashes a beam in confirmation. There are flashes of their parents in them, and for him it is probably how well he plays the harp and the sun always reduce its light to cast a shadow behind him, not to blind him. His curly brown hair falls languidly above his face, ignored by him trying to pull Ten into the crowd marching to his cousin.

 

"Come on, Ten. Let me introduce you to my cousin!"

 

After a few push and pull, stumbling feet and Jaehyun bumping his head to her for a greeting plus a bite in the ear (Jaehyun loves biting people for no reason), rustling leaves beneath his restless feet and the glistening sweat at the space of her forehead tricking from her temple down her jaw, Sooyoung smiles at him. A little too bright for Jaehyun's liking, Ten notices. Hopefully, it is not what Ten is thinking. Zeus' descendants are known for their peculiar attraction to those who are beautiful even with those they share the same blood with. Both of them happened to be his grandchildren.

 

Funny how immoral their nature can be when they are supposed to be godly and divine.

 

"Strange how Jaehyun never told me about you, isn't it?" she enthuses, taking a seat above a giant boulder, side-eyeing Jaehyun who whistles to the birds, deep dimples forming.

 

"Obviously because he wants to keep you all to himself?" Which earns a revolted expression from Sooyoung as if she had eaten something bad this morning. Jaehyun laughs. He doesn't hear the humor in it.

 

"I won't succumb to you. Just so you know that!" She spits violently, pushing him away from taking a seat beside her. 

 

"Jeez, you don't have an ounce of elegance or alluring aura your mother has. Doesn't that worry you?"

 

Her eyes change into a different shade. A murky one. "Funny hearing this from you when our parents had a feud over a guy."

His ears turn red in embarrassment over hearing the revelation of his father's promiscous and flexible preferences in gender, which is common yet not something he wants to speak in such casual ways. "You just hav-"

 

"So, you've been here for a long time, Sooyoung?" Ten cuts him at the right time, following the pattern of Jaehyun's upcoming vicious word despite the truth in it. 

 

Her hazel eyes look different when she gazes at him. It seems ethereal and vast. She makes him feel unguarded with the way she is looking at him, as if her mere gaze penetrates his soul. For a moment, his lungs are empty and he forgets to breathe. His fingers slip to the nape of his neck, eyes diverted away from her blinding one. 

 

"You're burning up like a star, Ten!" she laughs and that is the end of the composure he holds, as a goofy and abashed smile blooms out of his face.

 

Ten falls in love as fast as the star shoots through the sky, his mouth covered in light and his eyes a galaxy Sooyoung has not yet seen.

 

 

 

First love the soul out of him because more restless nights with happier dreams and more flowers growing in uncanny places all around him. Sooyoung is the warrior one in their story and sometimes, she approaches him in his coccoon of gardenias.

 

"Why aren't you with everyone?"

 

He fakes composure around her. He's good at that these days. "I'm not like everyone." Just another way to say that he is a misfit. His power a threat and a weakness to his being that is not so strong physically.

"I guess I can be thankful for that," pushing through the leaves gently, she takes a seat in front of him. Her long dark hair resembles the vast black night with no stars whenever he fell into a dark dream and as she shifts into a more comfortable position in her armor, Ten holds back a dreamy sigh. Her mere presence before him shakes his whole constitution and Ten worries the amount of flowers that might have outgrown his heart any soon from hearing her words.

She smiles, eyes so clear it reflects his starstruck face. "What are these flowers around you?" Her fingers gently caress the flower that stands near her, gently laying her eyes upon it.

"It's gardenia. It means purity," he stumbles upon his last words and Sooyoung gazes at him with a meaningful look. 

"You're good with your language of flowers."

"Well, it's my ability. I just have to know."

She hums with a nod, then looks back at him again. "Can I come again?"

The flower in his hand that he hasn't realized he is holding pricks his hand. Her hazel eyes widened and before she was about to move, Ten holds out his hand with a sheepish smile. "It's okay, I'm used to it."

Her eyes stop sparkling and becomes droopy. "I feel pathetic that  I can't be of any help to you."

He hopes she can't see his red beet ears. "Your mere concern already gives me enough joy."

"Okay, I have to go. Please take care of yourself," Sooyoung coming closer makes his eyebrows arch and her wrapping her arms around him almost make him choke. This is too good to be true. He won't get any sleep tonight. He wonders what kind of dreams he will have and how many stars that will appear in the sky.

 

The way Ten loves Sooyoung is so secretive yet blatant in the way he makes sure she has good dreams whenever she pays him a visit and fell asleep in his lap after telling him her days, the way he smiles so brightly when she ditched her harem of boys and girls group of friends when he is in her presence and the words he conjure just to see her happy. 

It would be a lie to say that there are no jealous eyes that cast upon his whenever they were together. However, all the times Sooyoung stands before him Ten feels like being brave. For those moments, no one can come closer as his mark will begin to glow like a star it is. 

"You're scary when you're like this."

"I just don't want to be bothered."

A smirk sways to the edge of her lips. "You're more honest now, way more than before." Her lips are on the edge of his own and even with this amount of affection she showers him, he knows better than to expect more. He doesn't want to hope because Sooyoung is so heartbreakingly beautiful and ethereal and he has clung unto the belief that her affection does not lie in in his heart only. 

Ten often falls asleep thinking of reasons why Sooyoung would cast his eyes on him. 

A shiver passes through as her breath nears his lips, Sooyoung standing in the same height as him and she doesn't let go of the bow in her hand.

"Ten-"

"I dare not to hope," he breathes slowly, closing his eyes and it would be a lie to say Ten doesn't feel like crying whenever he recalls that his love is frail and he feels horrible of his yearning for more. "This is enough."

Her other hand cupping his face and he opens his eyes to properly look at her, whose eyes are hazel and bright like a gleam of morning sun; warm and full of worry. "Why would that be?"

"What is enough, Ten?" She pressures, hand still gentle but those warm eyes become desperate, her voice straining and only a sigh does her justice, plopping her head on his shoulder. "Sometimes, I wonder if I am dreaming when I'm with you. It's too good to be true."

Ten believes that he is just a finger away to make Sooyoung his, with her heart on her cheek and her eyes only longing for him. Yet, it feels so heavy for him to move for her, to make her look at him. 

Somewhere, Ten is afraid of her safety near him. He knows the lust is also inherited to their descendants and he has noticed the way Jaehyun looks at him is different and he is not even trying to hide it. He fears for their lives because he still wants to see tomorrow with her, no matter how damned their fates may be. 

Grabbing a hold of her hand, he could only squeeze it in assurance. He doesn't need her affirmation to know that he'll love her forever. Ten blesses her with the happiest dream and have the flowers surround her space that night to soothe the ache that is visible in her face. 

 

Seventeen and ancient beyond his wits, Ten rests near the river after another rigorous physical training that doesn't suit him. He likes potions and gardening classes better than this. A smile seeps into his cheeks when he recognizes the footsteps that are heading towards him. A pair of hands that are cracked and rough wraps over his eyes. "Who is this?" He pretends to not  know even when it's obvious who it is. 

 

"It's unfair how you'll always outwit me," she quickly lets go as she feels his raising face muscles, contorting a smile. "I can never win to you."

He can only smile at her as he leans in to kiss her cheek. "You're already a champion at so many things."

Her heart flutters and she turns for a kiss in the lips instead, smiling at his surprised eyes. "Well, this is one of my wins."

"You're sure gonna be the death of me," he mumbles as he backs away, pushing his hair away and trying to adjust his heartbeat. His panick gets in the way as he looks around for prying eyes. They are not even lovers and people will misunderstand. It is the first time for her to be so bold. Casual kisses in the cheek are the usual for them but not lip to lip ones.

Ten sighs and just gaze at the all unaffected Sooyoung who whistles cheerily as she gingerly throw stones to the lake.

In all the worlds he had imagined himself to be with her, it is clearly not this one. It was too good to be true, to be so close to the girl he dreamt. As his eyes rest upon her relaxed features, he knows that her beauty wasn't the reason he was so startstruck. It was that depth and that familiarity he feels when they stared into each other's eyes. The way she opens up herself has never made him so important with her considerate ways of wanting to know him more and letting him know parts of her from her stories and actions.

"Do you know that I have a brother? A twin at one?" it was one of the topic of their conversations to pass time when it was Sundays and Ten would be resting in her cocoon of flowers and Sooyoung would lie on his lap when she just got through a rigorous week. That day was one of those days. 

"No way!" He replies excitingly and he knows Sooyoung loves his enthusiastic answers. "Do you have a picture with you?"

Shaking her head, she plays with her hair. "Sadly no. For all I know, we have been separated since birth. He is fully mortal."

"He is aware of your existence, right?" as he listens to the drop in her voice, Ten tucks strands of her hair back to have a clear look and make sure his words didn't hurt.

To his relief, she nodded with a smile. "My parents are so cruel. We were twins, for God's sake. We were never meant to be complete by our own selves." 

"Your parents must be worried, that only you get to be a demi-god." He assures reasonably, trying to position himself in such state. "Your brother might feel left out."

Closed eyes and a mumble he couldn't miss slipped out of her lips. "It is not such a blessing, to be half-god."

His fingers ghosted around the waves of her black night hair, lightly caressing it. He wouldn't expect this from Sooyoung who stands proud and always eager to be on the front lines. But their birth was never like the fairytales he had read on books. Her mother wasn't exactly known for being loyal as well, with multiple lovers here and there. Sooyoung was probably aware of her half-siblings that were at the camp with them. "It's okay. Our futures lay within the edge of our palms. You might meet him someday".

Eyes shot open, it stared straight to his soft-brown eyes. It never fails to send a jolt of electricity whenever those bright eyes of hers look at him in such a direct way. "Is it, really?" she replied, hesitantly, her fingers latched to his palm. 

"I believe you have the power to do so," he smiled and when she pressed her lips to the edge of his hand, his blood rushed to his cheeks. She is a bad cause to his heart. Even so, he never questioned her affectionate advances. The way she was being so casual about it made it feel as if this was all just something done to pass her time. That Ten's gentleness and composure against her very being that always made people tense and had their walls up made him become the place she can forget those worries. 

Snapping from his thoughts, he just realized that the girl he has been staring at is now gazing up at him. Her peals of laughter escaped when that familiar flustered face of his appears. 

"I'm waiting, Ten." Ten holds back a sigh because he understands what she is implying. Sooyoung gives him the opportunity to let them be known and let them be real from his own mouth. Her feelings are already so evident but Ten was always the passive one between the two.

"It might hurt the both of us," he finally lets out his neverending concern. He wants these feelings of his for her to be forever, for his feelings to not be judged and free without restraints. He is one to be able to hold himself back for her. But he is never sure of her, Sometimes, he wonders if she, too, inherits those lust that is a curse. 'I'm afraid that we will be ephemeral."

Ten has projected this situation milliion times in his head and all of it hurts him the same. Sooyoung is someone brave between the two of them and he knows, this cowardice might just disappoint her. He braces himself for her turning her back on him.

Instead, she offers him a smile he doesn't recognize, dipped with fragility and anxiety, but also relief and warmth. "I know. That is one of my constant worries-"

"I have always felt I was detached to the world, you know. When I was young, I was alone and raised by my mother's  maids because she couldn't bother. And I came to know a lot of things that made me wonder, will I become like her? Will I be just like the Gods whose love isn't loyal?" She remarks, head turned to the landscape of water. "But then, I met you."

Ten just wants to slap himself to knock the blood out of his cheek because he can tell his face is as red as tomato right now. 

"You know that I love you right?" Ten breathes out while pinching his eyes close. A coward he will always be, he can't even make a proper confession.

He doesn't hear an answer, so he opens his eyes to the sight of Sooyoung giving her the most brilliant smile he has ever seen of her, her lips upturned, her eyes rise to crescent moons and her cheeks coloured with a shade of love. "I know."

Ten, heart trembling and aching and ramming his ribcage of a body bets his entire lifetime of luck in this. "I love you the most in all worlds. You are the only one for me."  He knows that he is never a good one to bravely express his love. This is the best word he can use to sum his affection for her. He said this as he leans closer, tucking her hair behind her ears. 

Closer like this, Ten can see her tears. Because she knows, Sooyoung knows that Ten doesn't use heavy words unless he meant it. Ten is the kind of people she read in books by her own, the solemn and composed character who loves in silence. 

Her bright hazel eyes glisten with tears but as he is about to open his mouth, she shakes her head with a smile, a sign of assurance as she rests her cheek on his shoulder, Still, Ten finds the need to pull her into his arms.

"Contrary to your pessimistic mind, I love you more than you will ever be," she whispers sweetly and saddeningly, her tears fall to Ten's clothing. Ten tilts his head to brush it upon hers, feeling his heart so full it begins wrong.

"It feels wrong to be this happy. I'm scared." He confesses and a merry giggle escapes his lips.

 Sooyoung is waking up from her position and as she holds his face between her hands, Ten feels like forever will be such a short time. "Don't be. This is only the beginning, Ten."

Just like that, Ten falls in love all over again as fast as the flicker of a light amidst the darkness, his heart entangled with anothers and his lips are blooming with flowers as his footsteps are covered in light. 

And this light isn't forever, contrary to what Ten prays every night.

 

 

 

Ten sees her for the umpteenth time in a dream. But this dream isn't like any others. In this dream, he is there with her and this all looks terrifying because prophesies can also be a form of dreams. It is a war and they are all clothed in armor and swords and shields and he can hear so many cries of agony and pain ringing all around them. Them, covered in blood and tears and gold and Sooyoung is holding his limp body in her arms, her cries heartbreakingly lonely and heartwrenching. It is her golden arrow that ends up at his chest and Sooyoung has never looked as fragile and destroyed.

His heart churns at the sight but he wants to see this through. By the end of the day, it is okay if Sooyoung lives. 

Twenty and strong enough to protect her, Ten knows that he still won't match her. Sooyoung says that it is just because their type of powers are different. He admits that but can't help but to envy her nimble limbs and strong figure. How can someone so beautiful and strong at the same time?
 

"If I were gone, what would you do?"

It wasn't the right time, Sooyoung had just won a yearly tournament where students of their age are eligible to enter to battle their powers. The winner earns the privilege to earn the right to use one of the heavenly weapons until the next year. It is such a rare item that it can only be summoned by the winner. When she showed it to him, he hid his surprise that it actually showed tales of Aphrodite in her bow. Those tales are supposed to be shown only something that truly belongs to her. He keeps this oddity for later. 

It wasn't the right time, but there was never a right time to tell her he won't be around forever.

She falls into a deep silence. There goes her laughters, her happiness, her blushing cheeks and her gleaming eyes. All that is left is her clenching her fists and her dreams that are about to come true and not knowing what to do.h

"What's happening Ten?" she asks, voice low and not able to drag her legs to him sitting near the boulder, her black hair falling down to her hips sways against the wind. 

He waits. Ten waits for her, settling and bracing herself for the worst. He has learn of this routine of hers whenever she prepares herself for a bad news; closed eyes, relaxed limbs and a steady heartbeat. "I saw us in my dream. And I believe, it's not just a mere dream." 

"Do you want me to know?" she breathes, her voice shaking because her senses already listen to all the bad things beneath his voice. "Do you want to show me your dream?"
 

Scooting closer to her position, he shakes his head firmly while pushing her hair away from her face, Ten's favourite thing to do when he wants her to look at him properly, Ten with his dark and clear brown eyes and her slightly tanned skin. I don't want to destroy my promise. I don't want to see that smile of yours grow dimmer. I don't want you to look at me with sad eyes. I don't want you to see me like I was leaving forever. I just want you to be happy, even if I am not around. All of these unsaid words hang around the air as they stare into each other's eyes, full of questions, longing, passion and dreams. He continues by pressing his lips on her forehead.

"Worst case scenario, is when it comes true. But you shouldn't worry about anything like that." Ten is being so gentle with her, as if holding and coaxing her like a parent is to a child. Sooyoung can't tell how lost she looks right now. 

"It shall not, however bad it is, I won't let it come true." Her eyes beg him to tell, but Ten knows better that prophecies can't be avoided. The last thing he wants her to know is how she will be the cause of her death. This  will destroy her. 

Holding her face, he faces her with all the bravery that he stores for this moment. "Promise me, that when I'm gone, you will not blame yourself. That whatever happens, I am always with you.  I'll always be your ally and I believe in y-"

"Ten, you're scaring m-"

"-you and I want you to live your dreams, still. Don't ever stop because of me, dear. I will always be watching you." Her fingers are holding his hands which are cupping her face. She scans over his face, feeling confused and overwhelmed because this feels like a goodbye where she won't see him ever again.

"I promise. But, this is not a goodbye."

Ten smiles and doesn't deny before kissing her lips and pulls her into the most beautiful night they ever share.

 

When it happened, all Sooyoung hears is thunderclouds and her hearing splits away into an echo of something that had fallen for a long time. When it happened, Sooyoung wasn't prepared even if Ten had whispered sweet assurances to prepare her. When it happened, Sooyoung feels like tearing the universe away and destroy everything and anything except him.

As it happens, she sees herself crying and screaming while holding Ten who is coughing up blood and maintaining that sweet yet broken smile of his, struggling to pull the arrow but not wanting to hurt him any further. 

He weakly reaches out his hand for her and she pushes her fingers to entangle their fingers together, leaning closer to Ten as he is about to open his mouth.

"S-sooyoung, p-please rem-member our p-promise," he breathes out tiringly, hand firmly holding unto her wrist. She nods, her tears raining her face and she does not care if they are in the battlefield and if she dies. She'd rather die with him here if fate says so. 

"We'll meet again in our next life," he breathes lowly after taking a sharp intake of breath that hurts him but he knows this will end soon, so he needs to let her know. "I'll find you."

"I'll do too," her voice shakes and Sooyoung just want to shatter right then and there. "You're the only one for me." Please don't leave me here alone.

His fingers weakly tilt her chin to face him, his eyes taking one last look of her. This is the one person that should have a future with him. This is the only person who has ever looked at him properly without any judgement.

"The next time we meet, call me by my name." A breath and Ten closes his eyes, his limbs go limp and the only thing who stands proud is the golden arrow that is struck to his chest, the golden arrow that is meant to hit Jaehyun, the traitor in their mission. 

Sooyoung places her ear on his chest, hearing his heartbeat that slows down until it drops its last beat. Upon it, Ten's body crumbles away into sparkles of light. All she hears is the distant sound of war that is actually close and the drop of her arrow. Raising her tear-stained face, her brightly-lit hazel eyes cast upon Jaehyun menacingly, who stood afar from them, watching with an unreadable expression.

Hoisting up from her kneeling position, Sooyoung clutches into her arrow. "You sure be looking for your death to stand around after betraying our whole troupe."

"It is a rare sight to see my dear cousin to be so moved."

"You're ing c-"

"He is not someone who can stand by your side!"

"So what? You think it should be you?" She yells over the top of her lungs as she had skipped through the war's debris to face him, her bow and arrow ready to struck him. Something changes from his face. She curses the blood running through her and her ancestors to birth such lowly descendants. To think Ten protected this person, jumping in when she was about to shoot him. He's still your cousin. So why? It doesn't matter because all of this happens because of his greed. 

Once this arrow pierces through his heart, he'll die The.gold arrows she wield right now are made especially to exterminate the Gods. 

But if he were to die so soon, he will not suffer the live of being an immortal. If he were to die by this mere arrow, all these destruction will all be for naught. If he were to die right now, Ten's sacrifice will all be for naught. 

Then, Sooyoung aims at the spot where it will hurt the most, where it will scar him the rest of his life. She pulls the arrow along the strings to finally let it go and strike him in the leg, driving him numb and badly wounded as he falls to the ground.

Sooyoung doesn't wipe her tears and let it dry over her face, walking past his weakened body, already wielding another arrow in her hand to fight the remaining minotaurs that have been invited by a certain someone. 

"Always cruel to the end, I guess?"
"Only to those that deserve it."

 

 

 

(far future where our love is ancient)

"Who is she?" he mumbles, folded fingers hoisting his chin as the composed and almost too stiff girl walks in with a bow and violin in hand. A friend of his begins to shift on his chair.

"To think the world will be this small."

"You know her, Junghan-"

She begins introducing herself.

"-I'm Park Sooyoung-" Ten clutches unto his pants, feeling a really loud thump at the mention of her name. He studies her face; light brown oval eyes with black wavy hair cascading behind her back. He can't read anything from her expression but it shows her sterile focus, as if she only sees her target to hit. He has never met her before. Ten pins this thought to the crevices in his head to deal with it later.

Violin concerto for E Minor by Mendellson. How bold and thoughtful of her, to play a concerto piece meant for an orchestra. So far, she is the only person who plays the concerto piece.

When she begins to wield her bow, his ears perk up at the notes jumbling out of her violin. She had chosen to not play by the sheet. So much bravery in the way she plays it; proud and unashamed. 

All through the judging, the said girl does not show an ounce of emotion except that small genuine small that slips out after she finishes playing. For this, Ten's heart beats for another time it almost feels like his heart is outside his ribcage. 

As their eyes meet while she walks to the backstage, he feels a sense of nostalgia just by the look of her face.

"I think I'm forgetting something really important." he mumbles while feeling half-dejected at the sinking feeling that he suddenly gains.

For that, it is a mystery that Ten shall solve in the near future.