|1|

The Painter's Amour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany hates Valentine’s Day.

She doesn’t know why. Maybe it’s because couples go out of their way to shower their love with chocolates, teddy bears, and post them on social media. Or perhaps because she hates romance in general. Why can’t they show their affection on regular days? Why this specific day? Is it because the couples want single people to feel jealous that no one loves them? Despite hating this dreadful day, Tiffany enjoys wearing her favorite color: pink. Their manager insisted that the employees be in the holiday spirit. Standing behind a cash register dress in a pair of white jeans and a pink blouse with red hearts, Tiffany rung up a customer’s item. Her bright smile twisted into a frown once she spotted red lace lingerie that a young woman wanted. At least someone is getting lucky tonight.

Tiffany is a senior at the Korean National University of Arts, studying painting under the renowned Byun Taeyeon. As much Tiffany hates working at the department store, the undergrad needed money to pay her side of the apartment she shares with an old childhood friend, Kwon Yuri. She can’t wait for the day she graduates and quite this job.

“Don’t you just love Valentine’s Day?” The woman randomly voiced out, startling Tiffany in the process. “It’s the most romantic day of the year. Don’t you have a special man waiting for you?” She inquired as she took out her small mirror and fixed her makeup.

Huffing, Tiffany leaned against the counter and frowned at the woman. “No, I don’t have a special man to go home to,” she bluntly answered. “I despise this day because of people like you.” Tiffany ignored the woman’s flabbergasted expression and the plastic bag into her well-manicured hand. “Have a nice evening.”

The woman scrunched her eyebrows in a frown, not liking the employer’s manner. “Well, you won’t be getting anyone to like you with that attitude,” she grumbled. “Hears a little advice you,” she leaned in and whispered. “If you want to have someone to like you… You should start fixing your hair.” With that, the lady strutted off.

Tiffany scoffed as her eyes followed the woman out of the door. Subconsciously, she grabbed a piece of her hair and saw how dead it looks. Maybe I should go to the salon. Shaking the thought out of her mind, Tiffany grabbed the next customer’s items and began scanning. “Did you find everything you wanted today?” She asked.

“Ms. Young?” A woman’s voice spoke up. “I didn’t know you work here.”

Tiffany paused and tilted her head, seeing Taeyeon smiling with her perfect white teeth. The professor wore her brunette hair down with a black beret, a lavender sweater dress that hugged Taeyeon’s curve, and a black fur coat. The older woman’s pale complexation shined from the department store’s lights.

“I have to pay for my share of the rent somehow,” Tiffany shrugged as she picked up a giant tan teddy bear with a pink bow on top of its head. “Are you buying this for your husband, Professor Byun?”

“Um…no,” Taeyeon nervously giggled. “My daughter’s birthday is today, and I promised her that I would buy it. I don’t care for Valentine’s Day as other people do,” she mumbled the last part as her eyes scanned the other check-out lines. “Do you celebrate this day? Someone as beautiful as you should have someone.”

“I’m happily single,” Tiffany replied, ducking her head down so Taeyeon couldn’t see her blushing. “And besides, it’s ludicrous to see couples publicly show their love on this specific day. Will that be all for you today?”

“Actually,” Taeyeon tilted her head. “Do you know where I can find a Princess of the Korean Court Barbie doll?” She sighed in frustration. “I went to every store this morning and couldn’t find it anywhere. And my daughter keeps begging me to buy that damn doll.”

Tiffany shook her head in an apology. “Sorry, but we’re all sold out. Usually, the truck comes tomorrow morning with sold out items before the store opens,” she explained. “Maybe you can come back to get the doll then?”

Taeyeon slumped her shoulders in defeat. “I can’t. My husband will be in a meeting all day, and I have to drop Mina, my daughter, off at school. Not only that, but I have a meeting of my own to attend.” A light bulb went off inside Taeyeon’s head. “What about I give you the money, and you can drop it off at my place tomorrow night. Here, let me give you my address,” the lady took out a pen and paper and scribbled down her address before giving it to the student. “Thank you so much,” Taeyeon gathered the teddy bear and walked out of the store.

“Wasn’t that Byun Taeyeon?” A customer asked. “She is so beautiful in person.”

“Yes… yes, she is,” Tiffany mumbled.

 

Taeyeon inserted the key into the lock at her lavish white townhouse and opened the door. Today been a long, stressful day, and all she wants to do is lay down in her bed and drink wine while catching up with her TV shows. She placed the teddy bear and birthday cake onto the marble floor and took off her fur coat and hung on the coat hanger, and threw her shoes into the shoe cubby.

A sound of footsteps echoed down the hallway. “Mommy! Mommy!” Taeyeon’s tired expression turned excited as she watched her four-year-old daughter running to her with her short legs.

“Mina!” Taeyeon squatted on the floor and hugged her daughter. “Happy birthday, sweetie. Look what Mommy gave you,” she pointed to the bear and cake. “But that’s not all. I got you something else.”

“What is it?” Mina innocently asked with her big brown eyes scanning the hallway for another present. Taeyeon still couldn’t believe how much her daughter looks just like her father.

Taeyeon shook her head, eyes filled with mischief.” C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter