You and Me and Coffee Breaks

Appreciated

III
You and Me and Coffee Breaks


          The nineteenth had finally arrived. Although it wasn’t exactly the start of any filming yet, it was, however, the script-reading session already, and quite a vital point in production. Seokjin had never been in one and prior to the aforementioned date, he had consulted his fellow member, Taehyung, on what it was like. There was little difference in shooting a movie and a drama after all apart from the length. Taehyung was extremely helpful, as was expected, and he was just as excited for Seokjin’s project. His advices ranged from the basics of politeness and alertness all throughout the session, and a suggestion of caffeine intake at the start of the day. Seokjin wasn’t sure how long a script-reading session was supposed to be, but if things went by smoothly, he assumed it was half a day at minimum. That was alright, he thought. He could catch up with practice afterwards. The incoming weeks had their group’s schedule quite packed, but he was thankful that his fellow members promised to help him with anything he’d miss.

          It was only Manager Sejin who accompanied the idol that day to handle the business end of the film and one stylist to take down notes of what Seokjin’s appearance should be like. Seokjin’s main concerns were to do well at the reading and get acquainted with all the cast and staff he would be working with.

          Surprisingly enough, he had less nerves this time around. Even Seokjin himself did not expect to feel this way.

          They took an early trip to CJ E&M headquarters in Mapo. As they neared, Seokjin remembered to have coffee that day and asked to stop by a shop to buy some. The heat of the beverage helped in warming his body down against December’s weather. Upon arrival at the destination, they headed on over to a large conference hall where most of the film staff had already been. Seokjin found himself looking around for his co-stars, specifically Dasom. He imagined it would be easier to converse with her considering their near ages as opposed to the older cast members involved. He still did want to take a picture with Ma Dongseok, though.

          The company’s employees ushered them well to their respective seats with Seokjin being placed at the near front of the table. He felt the nerves climb up his body again and he mellowed it down with the last gulps of coffee from his Styrofoam cup. He heard greetings then from the entrance of the conference hall, more chattering, and a familiar voice. Well—it wasn’t just the voice that was familiar but more so the sound of the giggle that joined it. Seokjin turned his head to the side to find that Dasom had arrived with her manager and a couple more people. He assumed they were part of her staff, too. She seemed to know some of the people involved in the film production as seen with her familiar greetings and conversations with them. Seokjin remembered she had already been part of some dramas and a film so it would make sense that she was probably friends with them, too, or at the very least, acquaintances. He hadn’t realized how long he had been watching her until she looked up to see him, making him jerk slightly in surprise. Dasom’s smile towards him was bright and she even gave a wave of her hand. He gave his own gestures in return up until Dasom was approached by her manager and a film staff. Seokjin sat back down on his seat and flipped through the script again, the papers now decorated with neon yellow highlighter over where his dialogues were. He had been reading it quite diligently this past week.

          “Looks like you’ve been busy with the script, too.” A deep and manly voice sounded behind Seokjin accompanied by a heavy pat on his shoulder. Seokjin spun around in surprise and found Ma Dongseok grinning at him. He stood up immediately and bowed his head deeply.

          “Sunbaenim! Good morning!” Seokjin rose up slowly to meet Ma Dongseok face-to-face, giving him an ecstatic smile. He didn’t think he’d be meeting him this soon—he hadn’t even seen him enter the hall!—but he never imagined it would be the other approaching him first. The thought made him feel bad the slightest bit but his senior colleague didn’t seem to mind at all.

          “You, too. Jin, correct?” Ma Dongseok patted his shoulder a couple of times more then sat down on the seat beside Seokjin, ushering him to do the same. “You’re quite famous lately. My niece is a big fan of your group.”

          He could nod respectfully at the other all day if he needed to, Seokjin told himself, and he did so again this time at the compliment. “The group likes to think our fame is just right, but we appreciate your words so much, sunbaenim. It means quite a lot!”

          Dongseok couldn’t hold his laughter in at Seokjin’s way of speaking. “Relax. You don’t have to be that formal with me, although I appreciate the effort.”

          “Okay.”

          “They said it’s your first movie.” Dongseok said. “You nervous?”

          Seokjin nodded. “Yes.”

          “Well, who wouldn’t be?” He chuckled. “At least you’re not overconfident. You’ll be okay.”

          “I’ll do my best.”

          Dongseok nodded and was about to lean back on his seat until some staff came up to him, requesting his presence on the other side of the hall. He turned to Seokjin with a funny face before bidding him goodbye. It didn’t take long for the seat to be occupied again, however, as Dasom was then escorted beside Seokjin, setting her place beside him for the whole session.

          “Good morning, sunbaenim.” Seokjin greeted as he stood up, even going as far as to pull the chair out for her to sit easily.

          Dasom smiled at him and gave him a nod of her head. “Thanks. And good morning to you, too. We finally meet again. Excited?”

         “That, and nervous. But more excited, yeah.”

          Dasom pulled out her script from her bag and placed it on the table, almost near Seokjin’s. She noted how the other’s script bind was quite creased, a sign of diligent reading. It was impressive, she thought.

          “I like the story, if I’m to be honest.” She told him. “How about you?”

          “I do, too. I think the ending was the best part of it.” He said, thinking for a while for his follow-up comment. “It did, of course, surprise me.”

          “I’m sure the viewers will be surprised, too.” Dasom looked over towards the other side of the conference hall and found their other co-stars taking their seats. “I haven’t even talked with Ma Dongseok yet. I wanted to greet him but my manager was still talking to me earlier. I really admire his acting.”

          “Me, too. He was actually just here a few moments ago.”

          Dasom turned to him. “Really? Too bad I missed him.”

          Seokjin laughed. “We’ll probably take some pictures with him later.”

          “That’s true. But I really just wanted to tell him how much I adored him in ‘Norigae’ and ‘Train to Busan’. I haven’t cried that badly over a movie in a while.”

          “I know what you mean. It’s a bit embarrassing to admit this but I cried, too.”

          Dasom paused at the other’s comment, then shared the laugh with Seokjin. “I’m glad I’m not the only one then.”

          Their conversation was put on hold then as the director and screenwriter arrived, along with the respective producers and other executives for the film. Everyone stood to greet them and made to put their full attention on the said people. The director, Baek Ilseong, together with the screenwriter, Moon Gyeonghui, took their seats at the front of the conference hall. They seemed to be in their late forties to early fifties, Seokjin noticed, but they had an aura of astuteness with them. It was admittedly intimidating, but only up until they had shared their smiles and greetings with everyone in the room.

          “Good morning. I am Director Baek Ilseong and I’ll be here to work for ‘Romance in Jinhae’.” He said. “I understand that I am not a familiar name to most people, and that’s alright. We all have our time and place in the world, and I believe this can be ours together, correct?”

          He spoke as if he was a nobleman. Everyone agreed with his inquiring statement.

          “I have had the pleasure to work with Moon Gyeonghui once before for a short independent film, and to find myself beside her again, well, the pleasure is all mine.” He took his own words as an introduction to the screenwriter, to whom the people clapped for as she stood up for her own greetings.

          Moon Gyeonghui was a short lady with a smart face. Her smile was like how one would see a grandmother’s.

          “I am Moon Gyeonghui, the writer for the film.” She started. “I wrote ‘Romance in Jinhae’ as based on a true story.”

          Seokjin and Dasom then exchanged looks. The plot then seemed much deeper than they initially thought.

          “I won’t go too into detail as what you will see will tell the whole story as I know and remember it.” Moon Gyeonghui smiled a little bit more. “All I ask from our actors is that you all be as honest and dedicated to the roles given to you. A story like this can just be words but you can bring it to life with your talents. Thank you.”

          As expected, the screenwriter was also met with applause, and Seokjin himself couldn’t help but be drawn to these top two people involved in the film’s production. Taehyung had mentioned how fun it was for him to be a part of a group of actors, and, yes, there seems to be fun indeed, but Seokjin found it a lot more appealing in other ways than that. It also made him forget about all of the negativity the internet gathered all this time with regards to his casting role. He felt hopeful, in short.

          To introduce one’s self was always nerve-wracking. It was different this time now that Seokjin was on his own. Whenever they made the BTS introduction, it was always easy when Namjoon led them and he could follow suit with the others. Now, the feeling was almost nostalgic, like when he first introduced himself in elementary classes. All eyes were, of course, on him.

          “Good morning. I’m BTS’ Kim Seokjin, or just Jin for short.” His smile was sincere as he looked around at all the people. If there were any judging stares, he barely noticed them. “I’ll be playing the role of Yoon Joonseo, the aspiring Seoul-based photographer of the film. This is my first time acting but I do promise to give my all to the film and to not disappoint. Thank you.”

          Dasom followed suit. “I’m SISTAR’s Kim Dasom and I’ll be playing the role of Lee Haneul, the barkeep’s daughter who finds solace in music. Although I have been in a few dramas and a film before, I still find myself a novice and I aspire to learn from everyone here, apart from also doing my best for the whole production. Thank you.”

          Seokjin watched her as she spoke. He never heard her talk so formally before and it sounded pleasant to his ears. Ma Dongseok followed as did the rest of the supporting cast, who could be counted within two hands, and then the company staff who were involved in all the technicalities and behind-the-scenes production. None of them waited long to start the reading proper, and Seokjin was surprised at himself for speaking well and not breaking character during the duration of the read. Of course there were corrections here and there, suggestions made by colleagues and the director and screenwriter, but he accepted them all wholeheartedly, writing down on the margins of his booklet’s pages. If anything, he seemed to have pleased the higher ups.

          He had many dialogue exchanges with Dasom and he found himself facing her subconsciously throughout the session, admiring the other’s change in aura when she got into character. Seokjin wondered if he was also able to pick up such a talent, or if he’d pick it up during filming. His eyes grew distracted on looking at both his script and at Dasom, reading her expressions for every scene that was required, be it a happy scene, a sad one, or a serious one. Of course, he glanced at his manager every now and then who simply nodded to him every time. Seokjin wondered what his manager’s thoughts were about his speaking.

          “I found a world here, Joonseo.” Dasom recited, a warm smile gracing her face. “I’m happy with the music I get to make and the people I talk to every day. I hope you find your own, too, even if it’s not here in Jinhae.”

          Seokjin breathed in. He initially thought this part of the movie’s dialogue was cliché but now that he had someone to converse with, it seemed a lot sweeter.

          “I already did.” He replied. "I found my world in you, Haneul.” 

          Dasom watched him as he said his line, not only because the script required her to, but because she found a charm in Seokjin’s actions and voice. He was convincing, she found out, and though this was just a reading, her heart seemed to skip a beat, as if the words were directly said to her. However, she shrugged it off and looked back down at her script. The rest of it required actions now and less words, thus the director called for a break after the scene, but not before praising everyone’s hard work so far for the day.

          Seokjin closed his booklet and sighed deeply. Some time had passed now after all since the beginning of the read and it was admittedly a bit exhausting and a bit draining as compared to dance practice. And speaking of practice, he wondered how his fellow members were doing back at the dorm. Knowing them, they might as well be all at the office instead. Even Yoongi wouldn’t sit at home if he knew he could work on some music at the studio.

          He turned to his side to find Dasom checking her phone momentarily then sipping the last remaining contents of her iced coffee, which unfortunately now had less ice. He thought of how to start a conversation with her. It didn’t seem right to talk about the film anymore; their morning was focused on that so far, unless of course she preferred that. Seokjin was confused as to why he was confused.

          “Ah, sunbaenim.” He called. “How are you feeling so far with the reading?”

          Fortunately Dasom had turned her phone off and placed it on the table so her attention was solely on Seokjin, at least for the moment. She grinned at him.

          “It’s always a bit different when practicing alone and with people, isn’t it? I’m okay, though. How about you?”

          “I’m good, too, surprisingly. I thought I’d break at some point due to nerves, but I like what I’m doing.”

          “That’s good. I have to say, too, that I think you did well. You delivered your lines nicely and with the right emotion. Good job.”

          He chuckled. “Thank you. I worried about that a lot, if I’m going to be honest.”

          “Well, I think you’re fine, but if we want to still be better, we always still have room for improvement.” Dasom picked up her plastic cup and swirled the lone ice remaining and sighed, her lips verging on a pout. “Ah. No more coffee.”

          Seokjin then took this as a cue for an offer. “There’s a vending machine on this floor’s lobby. I could get us coffee if you want.”

          Dasom considered it for a moment, then stood up. “I’ll go with you. I need to stretch a little anyway after all that sitting around.”

          He followed her actions then, and passed by his manager to tell him about their trip to the lobby. He knew they had little to worry at this point since most people at the building’s floor were employees who mostly kept to their offices. They had some ten minutes to spare before they had to be back at the conference room.

          The lobby wasn’t all too far, merely a few steps and a turn at the hallway corner. It seems that the vending machine was newly stocked, too, as most drinks and snacks were filled per row.

          “Sunbaenim, which one would you like?” Seokjin asked as he looked through the labels. He was contemplating as well on choosing something sweeter or a bit stronger. Probably the latter to get him through the day.

          “Is there any ‘Baba’ brand?” She asked, standing beside Seokjin to see for herself. Dasom then pointed to a light brown can, Baba Vanilla Delight. “There. I think I’ll get that one.”

          “Alright then.” Seokjin pulled out his small pouch from his pocket and looked through the contents for the right amount until he got to fish them.

          “How much was it again?” Dasom asked as she also looked through her wallet.

          Seokjin had already popped in the money in the vending machine for their drinks before even answering the other’s question. He picked up their cans and shook them gently, opening Dasom’s first then handing it to her. “My treat, sunbaenim.”

          She looked at him for a while then smiled. Dasom gratefully accepted the drink from him and took a generous sip. “Thank you very much! I know it’s usually the senior who treats the junior, but I appreciate this.”

          He laughed. “I think it’s much more right for me as a guy to do the treating.”

          “Okay, but I still owe you a coffee.” Dasom checked her watch, to which the other had noticed.

          “We still have some time, or did you want to go back now?” He asked.

          Dasom shook her head. “No, I’m okay here.”

          “Let’s take a seat then.” Seokjin motioned to the lobby’s couch, allowing Dasom to sit first before he followed yet still making sure there was a fair amount of space between them. “A little rest won’t hurt, I’m sure.”

          She nodded. “I think this is the only break we’ll get for today until we finish the reading.”

          “I imagine so. Taehyung—ah, V, my fellow member—said their readings for ‘Hwarang’ were rather strict at the beginning.” He told her. “But it got better during the following ones. I think our reading is fun, though.”

          “Dramas usually are much more taxing than films, at least in my opinion. Have you ever been in a drama?” She asked.

          Seokjin pursed his lips and shook his head. “No. Which is why my casting here was a bit of… an issue, I think.”

          “Internet?”

          He nodded once, but the mentions of the online backlash weren’t as worrying now as compared to before, so he didn’t feel all too bad.

          “I’m sorry.” She held her head low for a bit, but then turned her focus back on him. “Well, there’s only one surefire way to overcome such negativity.”

          “What is it?”

          “Just do well with this. That’s really all it takes, doesn’t it?” Dasom gave him a cheeky smile. “And probably just ignore the less constructive comments.”

          He laughed and drank a little more. “That’s what the others have been telling me, too. It’s been working so far, I think.”

          “Then you’re going to be fine.” She gave him a thumbs up.

          “Thanks, sunbaenim.”

          “Ah, ‘sunbaenim’.” Dasom chuckled, shaking her head the slightest bit. “You know I looked you up when I found out you were my co-star. I didn’t know you were older than me.”

          “It’s just by a year.” Seokjin grinned.

          She looked at him knowingly, almost teasing. “Someone also did their research.”

          “I had to be sure. You’re still my senior after all.”

          “True, true. But,” She tapped her coffee can a couple of times before glancing back up at the male idol beside her. “I think it’s fine if you just called me Dasom.”

          Seokjin was surprised. He didn’t expect her to feel comfortable with him this fast, but then again, even he himself found her company quite interesting. He gave a nod of his head and smiled.

          “Then it’s only fair if you call me Jin from now on. Or Seokjin.”

          “It’s a deal, Seokjin.” Dasom giggled and lifted up her can towards Seokjin, and the latter played along as he clicked his own can against it. “Nice to meet you, a little more officially this time around, too, for that matter.”

          He laughed at her cool and casual remark, then finished off the rest of his drink. “All the same to you, Dasom.”

          Had they wanted to continue a little more of their budding conversation, it seemed to not be the right time for it as a staff employee found them and advised them to return to the conference room. They complied, but not before allowing the staff to go on ahead before them.

          “I guess we’ll have to continue later on.” Dasom said. She threw away her can and Seokjin’s when she saw it was already empty.

          Seokjn cocked his head a little as they both began to walk to the room. “Or we can still talk while going back. I did have a curious question for you.”

          "Oh? What is it?” She asked.

          He smiled wide, his eyes growing mischievous. “Do you know how they make holy water?”

          Dasom grew confused. “No…? Do you?”

          “Yeah. You boil the hell out of it!” And Seokjin laughed for himself, proud of that tidbit he found recently. When he looked over at Dasom, she was covering her face with her hands, but he did hear a laugh.

          Dasom lowered her hands and made a face at him, almost refusing to smile even though she knew she found the joke funny. She slapped his arm playfully.

          “That was so lame!”

          “But you’re laughing!”

          "I can’t even believe I’m laughing at that!”

          Seokjin grinned at her, giving two thumbs up as well. “At least now I know my jokes will work on you. I have more of those, so you better be prepared.”

          Dasom shook her head at him in mock disbelief, but still stifling her laughs as they neared the conference room. “Challenge accepted, Seokjin.”



A/N:

     Hello! I'm back after some months of no updates. I deeply apologize for that. A lot of things happened with me lately (going abroad and working, if you're curious) so I had a lot of adjustments to make and my time is now very, very limited. This chapter has been sitting in my drafts for so long but I only found time right now to edit and post it so I hope that if anything, it was worth the wait for you, my dear readers.

      As always, I'm still using some honorifics in my writing.

     Again, I'm sorry for being so late. I haven't written in quite a while so I think I grew rusty but still, please feel free to tell me what you think about this! Any comments and suggestions are very much appreciated! Thank you for reading!

     (Also bye I got the lame joke from BuzzFeed lmao hahaha).

-

Music Recs:

Eric Nam - "Interview"

In Love with a Ghost - "We've Never Met But, Can We Have a Coffee Or Something?"