Stylist (Sort Of)

When The Sun Shines

 

Lee Hyuk yawned as he sipped his second bottle of yogurt, watching everyone go about with their duties. If he were back at the station, he'd be doing the same thing -- sorting out case files, interrogating suspects, and joining bust operations. It was his life.

Right now, however, he didn't feel like he was working. But he was. 

He adjusted his thick coat as he watched the people bustle around the set, busying themselves with cameras, microphones, and makeup. This was a different set from the crime drama so Hyuk barely knew anyone and anyone barely knew him.

The cast and crew referred to him as "That Super Handsome Stylist." Some of the makeup artists wondered why he barely even touched Kim Sun Hee's hair or makeup when he was her stylist. The actress told them that he only did work when she wanted him too.

That made him smirk.

He took another sip of yogurt as he watched the Actress come into the scene, followed by a small group of makeup artists and the director. 

So far, everything was quiet. There were no signs of a stalker harassing her at work or even at her home, but the station was not going to give the suspects any chances. By placing Hyuk in the middle of the investigation (and as an undercover agent), they were determined to catch the culprit. They didn't have much leads as of now, but they were hoping they would get some now that Hyuk was on-the-spot. 

He had no idea what this drama was about. Kim Sun Hee was dressed to the nines. She could be a rich heiress or a model, but in Lee Hyuk's opinion, she still looked like the hostess of a drug den. 

He smirked again. 

But he couldn't brush off the fact that she still looked stunning. 

"Hey, you over there!"

One of the people surrounding Kim Sun Hee pointed at Lee Hyuk.

"Stylist, come over here!"

At first, Lee Hyuk didn't understand or think they were calling him. When all of them stared at him (and he heard one of them say, "Hey Handsome Stylist! Stop staring!"), it was only then he realized they wanted him.

"Come over here!"

Immediately, he threw away his second bottle of yogurt and approached the group, heaving a sigh.

"Where have you been?" asked the head makeup artist, "We wanted to know your opinion on this look."

He couldn't understand why they still asked him. He bet that a few of the staff thought of him as a crappy stylist since all he did was nod, say the color was great, and that her hair was good. Hyuk was surprised they hadn't even caught his lie; maybe, he was a better actor than what he thougt he was. 

Kim Sun Hee, on the othe rhand, was also looking expectantly at him.

"Yeah Stylist Lee," she said, "What do you think?"

She twirled for him, her hair twirling along with her. When she stopped in front of him, she flashed him a smile.

For a second, he was stumped. But as a detective, he was quick on  his feet.

"It's good," he said, shoving his hands in his pockets, "She's good."

"Aisht, Stylist Lee, don't you have any suggestions?" asked the head stylist.

"No, I think she's good," he said non-chalantly.

"That's all?"

He could see the stylist's disbelief at his short opinions. Lee Hyuk started racking his brains for any style or makeup related terms so he could look believable to this people. For all he knew, one of them could be the stalker. Unfortunately, he neglected doing research last night and was coming up short.

"Ah, my stylist isn't in the mood right now," saved Kim Sun Hee, "He's been working so hard lately. You'll have to forgive him."

She patted him on the shoulder.

"Give him a break," she added, "He deserves it."

At her word, the small group backed off and immediately resumed to adding their own input regarding her style. It was then he found out she was one of minor roles -- a model who would probably get kidnapped by the third episode. He wanted to chuckle upon hearing that -- only three episodes and she always had to be dressed to the nines?

As they pulled her away, he thought about one thing: 

 

He would never understand the drama industry.

 


 

"What do you think about this?"

Kim Sun Hee flashed the nth outfit for the day at him.

"I think that looks great."

She frowned. "You said the same thing for the other dresses!"

Lee Hyuk sighed. 

"I'm sorry," he told her, "I'm not that knowledgeable with outfits. I'm just a detective."

He was pretty much bored with everything already. He'd rather be back at the station with the boys, looking over case files, and probably beating up some criminals. This wasn't how he imagined the rest of his week would be. 

Kim Sun Hee pouted at him and turned her back.

"You know, if you would study a bit, you could be a more convincing stylist," she told him as she perused through her clothes, "People here might start suspecting that you're not a stylist."

"Don't worry, they won't know," he assured her, "I'm good at my job."

"You can't even help me sort out my dresses, hats, and shoes," she complained, "Stylists are supposed to be good with those kinds of things. But you can't even do them." She was rummaging through the clothes and shoes, complaining loudly. 

"Real stylists should know which shoes go with a burgundy dress or what type of curls I should have," she continued, "You can't even do both."

"Yes I can."

"Really?"

"Try me."

Instantly, he regretted his decision, but he hated it whenever someone tried to one-up him or prove to him that he wasn't as good enough as they thought he should be. He grew up with a little sister anyway, so he should know a thing or two about clothes. 

She raised a sequined gown at him.

"What's a good pair of shoes for this?" she asked him.

He scanned the two rows of shoes behind her -- it was a mess of heels, boots, and those things called "wedges" ("I wonder why they're called wedges. They don't even resemble potatoes," thought the confounded detective). 

"That one," he pointed at a pair brown boots.

"Wrong," contended Kim Sun Hee, "I'd look like a cowboy."

"False. You would look like cowgirl," argued Lee Hyuk, "Also, opposites make a perfect combination."

She smiled at him and got out another number -- this one, a sleek top.

"What bottoms should I wear?"

He surveyed the rack again. Immediately, he pulled out a tight pair of black pants.

"This would look good."

"That's black."

"Your top is white."

"Why black?"

"Cause black and white will always look good."

He smirked at her, still holding that pair of black pants. She scoffed, taking the pants from him and matching it with her sleek white top. Hyuk found himself amused with Sun Hee's doubts with his fashion choices. He couldn't blame her, but he knew that he was knowledgeable with clothes too.

"Hmm, you're right," she said, putting them up, "Looks like you actually do have skills."

Hyuk just nodded at her. Kim Sun Hee flashed him a beautiful smile.

"Since you're my stylist, I might as well go with this look," she told him, "Stay right there."

Immediately, the actress took the clothes and a pair of boots with her to the nearby changing room. He wouldn't admit it, but Hyuk was impressed with himself. All those years hearing his sister ramble about her clothes finally paid off. Confidently, he sat on one of the mini-dressing rooms chairs, stretched his arms up, and smiled.

Wow, where is this cocky confidence coming from?

He lounged lazily, checking his phone for messages. He swiped away his brother's text about yet another potential date ("chests" filled with treasure, he said) and replied to his mother that he would try to visit home next weekend. He read about the drug lord in Busan and itched to ditch his job now and beat the crap out of that suspect. 

Momentarily, he was distracted with a tiny flash of light.

Hyuk looked around.

He ignored it, thinking it was probably a flickering light. Hyuk continued to browse his phone for messages, still hoping he could be back at the station.

There was another flash.

What the hell?

This time, Lee Hyuk stood up. He gazed at the tiny windows above the dressing room. There was a questionable shadow hovering above them. Immediately, he headed towards the door and proceeded to the stairs. He caught another flash before he left.

Then a small thud.

Okay, that's suspicious. 

Quickly, he ran up the stairs towards the outside. Hyuk followed the line of windows of Kim Sun Hee's basement dressing room, determined to spot the questionable movements. He saw one of the windows open.

"OH MY GOD!"

Kim Sun Hee's scream sent shivers down his spine. 

Immediately, Hyuk ran back to the basement, hearing the sounds of breaking glass and more screaming from the terrified actress. He burst the door open and charged to the changing room. The door was locked. He could hear Kim Sun Hee continuously screaming at whoever was inside. He bumped into the door, trying to open it.

"GET OUT GET OUT!" she was screaming.

Lee Hyuk was getting annoyed with the locked door. Taking a deep breath, he took a second before he kicked the door down.

Inside, Kim Sun Hee was huddled against the corner, barely clothed and just wearing those jeans he recommended. She held a towel up to her chest while her other hand threw random objects at the perpetrator, who kept taking photos of her. Seeing this made the Detective more than furious. He quickly grabbed the masked stalker by the shoulders, keeping him away from Kim Sun Hee.

Hyuk pulled the stalker away, causing the latter to drop his camera. Without thinking, he threw a punch at the stalker. Unfortunately, the latter knew how to fight and punched back. They ended up pushing each other against walls as Lee Hyuk attempted to remove his mask. The stalker pushed him against the wall and tried to strangle him.

As Hyuk struggled to get the perpetrator's hands off, he heard a smashing sound.

Sun Hee smashed a bottle on her stalker's head. 

It was enough for the stalker to get his hands off Hyuk, but it was not enough to knock him out unconscious. The stalker got up on his feet and, seeing he was outnumbered, ran out of the room while Hyuk was still in a daze. The latter was catching his breath, rubbing his neck. 

He tried to catch the culprit but the stalker pushed vases, lamps, and racks along the way, blocking Hyuk's way. The detective only made it to the door when he realized it was a lost cause.

Damn it, he cursed, Damn it, he got away.

Placing both hands on his waist, he took a deep breath, glaring at the sun and frustrated at himself for failing this little mission. 

It took him five minutes to realize that Kim Sun Hee was alone in her dressing room.

God, I have to go back for her.

He went back to the basement dressing room, dodging the mess the suspect made. The entire room was a mess -- dresses on the floor, makeup scattered everywhere, and two broken lamps. Carefully, he made his way back to the changing room where he heard quiet sobs. He stood by the door and was stumped by the sight.

Kim Sun Hee was on the floor, hugging her knees, and crying. She must've been too shocked with what had just happened. Beside her was the camera the stalker, but she paid no attention to it.

She was crying.

Part of Lee Hyuk went out to the actress. Watching her sob in her hands, barely clothed, with only a towel covering her chest -- he felt so heavy just watching her from the doorway.

Slowly, he approached her from behind. He knelt down beside her.

"Miss Kim, he's gone," he told her. "I'm here, don't worry."

She didn't hear him. Kim Sun Hee kept on crying. Tentatively, Hyuk reached out for her and touched her shoulder.

"Miss Kim?"

It was only then that she slowly looked at him.

Her face, all stained with tears, reflected the fear she. He didn't know what happened during the minute he was gone and she was alone with the suspect. But her eyes said enough. 

Without thinking, he pulled her towards him, allowing her to cry on his shoulder. Kim Sun Hee, consumed by fear, did not hold back as she sobbed on Detective Lee's chest. The latter, clueless yet moved by his ward, touched her back.

"It's okay. I'm here," was all he said, "I'm not going to leave you alone."

 


 

A/N: For some reason, I really can't move on from Lee Dong Wook. I just finished My Girl when the Goblin specials came out. Boy, was I happy to see our Grim Reaper and Sunny together. And LDW doing TT! Kill us now! Forgive me if I haven't been updating as much. Just let me finish my first fan fic and when I do, I'm all yours!

 

Please comment, like, and share!