part i

secrets for trade

  If ever there was a place to scoop out all the latest  gossips and news, it would be the cafeteria. Everyday during lunch hour, students file in for food with their friends, all ready to talk about the latest piece of news they've acquired. But with all the chatters filling up the room, it gets a little difficult to differentiate between a hot piece of gossip and a tedious piece of fact. But after years of mastering the art of evesdropping secret trading, Kim Chungha prided herself in being able to tell which secrets are worth knowing, keeping and occasionally trading.

  For now, she's sitting with her back to a table consisting with some of the most popular girls ranging from freshmen to senior year. Her eyes scanning the room for the familiar brunette who promised to meet her.

  From her peripheral vision, Chungha could see one of the young exchange student walking past to the table behind her. Unlike the other girls on the table, this particular girl was obviously non asian with her bright eyes and brown hair tied in a ponytail. Her voice accented when she spoke the local language.

  "Hey, guys, did you hear about the new student?" Somi said, as she slid into the seat next to a short hair brunette.

  "Yeah, I heard it's some rich heir from the King of Kims family company," Chaeyoung told her, moving to the side to let the girl have some space. "Not that it helps. Kim is probably the most common name there is."

  "A new rich kid moving in? That's nothing new," Bambam, the Thai exchange student, interjected. "Have you seen the new nurse they have in the clinic? Let's just say, I might be dropping by more often."

  Chungha silently scoffed. She had heard about the new nurse that had all the boys craning their necks, and lining up outside the campus clinic with injuries from scraped knees to stubbed toes. Chungha has yet to meet the etheral angel nurse everyone's talking about. She has yet to find a reason to. But she has a feeling, she's going to get one soon.

  The news of the new heir was a lot more intriguing. She should look into this. Seeing that new students who transfer in the middle of the school year has to go through the student counselor and luckily for Chungha, Miss Seo is very familiar with her. She should swing by and say hi.

  Chungha was brought out of her thoughts when a girl, probably a freshmen, slipped into the seat opposite her. A brunette with such messy bangs, eyes shaking with nerve and a wide smile despite it all. The older girl leaned back into her seat, waiting for the other to start talking.

  "Hi, my name is Sohye. Kim Sohye," the younger introduced herself, before rummaging through her bag for something. "I'm here to send in my registration form for the detective club-"

  "It's not a detective club," Chungha interjected, slightly annoyed. The title makes it feel like it was some child's play. "It's secret trading society."

  Sohye pressed her lips together and nodded, before sliding her form across the table, "I'm interested in joining it."

  Chungha studied the form. Full name, Kim Sohye. 16 years old. Sophomore. Basic information. Something she could easily find out on her own.

  "So why are you interested in the society?" Chungha asked, as she carefully placed the form back on the table.

  "I want to take on a new experience that I feel none of the other clubs would be able to give me," the younger answered, almost mechanically.

  "But what can you bring to the society?"

  "I'm sorry?" Sohye asked, clearly nervous and confused.

  "This is a secret trading society," Chungha said, slowly. "What kind of secrets do you actually have to show to the society? What kind of secrets do you think you can actually find? Have you ever found out anything worth killing for?"

  "Um..."

  "This is a very sensitive society. We're only looking for those who can actually get the job done. We're looking for those who can pry out the secrets from those desperately want to keep it," she said.

  "Aren't you the only one in the society?" Sohye asked, slow and nervous.

  Chungha clamped shut and narrowed her eyes at the younger, "Why don't we see how much you can do first? Let's start easy. Why don't you do a quick background check on the new nurse?"

  "Background check?"

  "Yup, the basic information. Full name. Where she came from. How she got here," she listed out. "Whatever you can find out."

  Sohye blinked, mouth slightly agape, as she tried to process the whole thing. Without bothering to wait for her to reply, Chungha gathered her things and got up.

  "If you find anything of importance, just come to room 110B after school," Chungha said, before leaving the young brunette behind trying to figure out how to go about things.