CHAPTER 17

One and Only
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just an important note:

 

‘this means their thoughts’ “this means Korean conversation” “this means Chinese conversation” If the whole paragraphs are italicized, it means they’re flashbacks and mixed fonts (italic and normal) are intentional especially in conversations

 

If there are any further changes or additions, I’ll post them in the A/Ns in the future. Continue reading :3

 

-Chapter 17-

 

“Are you okay now?” Her best friend quietly asked in concern as she placed a warm hand atop the younger’s shoulder. JuYeon turned her head towards the elder female with a slight smile as she shrugged; a smile that was too sarcastic to display at the troublesome situation she was in. EunHwa hated the fact that her own best friend had to deal with another one of HwaJung’s malice actions, just right when the younger had met her very first love again. It was as tough already as it was during high school years, and the elder wasn’t so sure just how much more the young EPA could take another blow from the other maniac of a woman. It was too much for her to even watch, and she wondered how her best friend had dealt with all the tortures during back then – back when EunHwa was blinded away from the very beginning of JuYeon’s problems with the bullies at school. There was still remorse in herself that she didn’t manage to figure out the younger’s assaults and insults received when she thought about it, even to that very day. She wished she found it out sooner so at least… At least her best friend didn’t suffer too much. The woman had went through hell at home, but she had to go through another tough phase at school too. Even in the present.

 

And that was why the elder of the two decided that hell come, but she was going to stick by her best friend’s side so long as she was able to. And now, not only because they have grown up into two mature women, but the both of them had their own families and two strong men by their side. JuYeon may had  not realized, but EunHwa knew just how much she also meant to JongDae as a friend and even close as a sibling, and EunHwa couldn’t have been prouder of her own husband for that. There were still lots of things that the younger was too clouded and covered to be aware of, especially ever since she left for China, and even though EunHwa wanted to be the one unravelling them to her best friend, it still was not her place to do so. And so the elder thought that she prayed for the time to run it’s course and do it’s magic so that JuYeon wouldn’t be kept in the dark anymore and live a blissful life free of worries for a twenty six years old to be dealing with. There were so much the world was offering to them, but alas, the situations and circumstances wouldn’t let them feel and enjoy just yet.

 

“As well as I can afford to be, Eun.” The younger let out an exhale of a sigh, but laid her head on her best friend’s shoulder as EunHwa brought a single hand to slung around the other’s shoulder. “I’m still feeling guilty because of That HwaJung’s action towards you, I mean, I could’ve at least done something because you are my best friend, Yeon, we’re practically sisters from different parents! I don’t think I can ever replace you, you know. And even though how many times you told me to stop, I can’t really seem to not feel guilty so don’t say I can.” EunHwa nudged the younger as the latter chuckled at the faux threat EunHwa spoke out. They missed times like these; time when they can just sit down together doing nothing but pointless talks, random conversations and other times just freely relaying each other’s deepest thoughts. They both knew they needed this. JuYeon had never been more grateful for JoonMyun when he gave her space she needed with her best friend. He didn’t complained when she asked, just a reassuring smile and a nod, before placing a deep kiss on her crown while he left his fiancée on the doorstep of EunHwa and JongDae’s apartment. Although he did made her feel like a heart fluttering mess when he requested of EunHwa to make his fiancée feel better. And the elder woman’s teasing eyes she gave the younger was probably not helping either.

 

JongDae left their apartment to visit his parents and brought along their son, and JuYeon laughed off at him when he had to listen to the constant reminders and naggings of his own wife of their son. Apparently, the younger’s best friend was a she-wolf and worse than a mother hen when it came to JiHwan.

 

“Look, I’m not sure if we ever going to get to beat her at her own games and charades, but know that I’m always here for you when you need me, Yeon. I don’t want to make the same I did years ago, so we can pick each other up when we fall.” JuYeon stared at the lone pinky finger held out towards her and exchanged a second’s worth of eye=glints before reaching out to interlace her own with EunHwa’s. “Today, tomorrow and forever?” The younger female raised an eyebrow in question as EunHwa let out a stifled giggle before nodding. “Today, tomorrow and forever.” And so the two grownups spent the rest of the night catching up with each other, sometimes with EunHwa telling her this and that about the boys’ and their lovers. Then they came to a topic JuYeon had absentmindedly forgotten since her mind was too preoccupied by their latest events at hand, which left the woman in slight panic. “Oh dear god, JuYeon. You are getting married in less than a month girl. How can you not plan your own wedding?” EunHwa mercilessly smack the other’s shoulder, so as if JuYeon’s actions were equal of a taboo.

 

Wincing as she rubbed her would-be-sore shoulder, the latter gave a sheepish grin. “Sorry, I was really caught up in the whole HwaJung thing and how I’m going to tell my boss and Feng and all too, remember. But you’re here, right?” She smirked when her best friend scooted away from her when JuYeon batted her eyelashes. It could only mean one thing. “Why do I have a feeling that I’m much of a bigger part in this whole thing than you yourself?” EunHwa narrowed her eyes is suspicion to the other lass, to which she only grinned toothily. “Well… Babe, you’re the experienced one in this whole wedding thing. I’m just seeking better options for help.” It was an utter bull crap and both women knew it. But they both also knew that if given the task, the former wouldn’t even mind in helping out. In fact, she would be exclusively delighted and honoured for her best friend to let her help. “Okay, okay. First, we need to settle the attires and we need to do that fast before going to cake flavours – but I’m sure I can get my mother to help with that since she haven’t gotten a wedding cake order for this month, at least in what I know of. So maybe you should hire a planner to organize the venue and guests’ reservations and whatnot. And then we can discuss further when your hot fiancé comes back. But we need Mama Kim too, I swear she’s as excited as receiving Christmas presents when it came to weddings.” JuYeon snorted when the elder referred to JoonMyun’s mother with that name.

 

“Alright, I really don’t know what to do here, so I’ll just have to trust you in on this.” JuYeon inhaled a deep intake of breath, feeling slightly nervous. Even though the base of their wedding and marriage was not, in the least bit, normal, but still, the woman felt as though as real bride-to-bes when it came to their weddings. After all, that fiancé of hers did agree to work this whole ‘relationship’ - or whatever they were currently in – out. She was really worn out for the night, so she went to give JoonMyun a call to let the man know that she was staying at the elder woman’s house for the night, to which her fiancé agreed willingly without any questions. To say she was quite surprised by his easy agreement was an understatement. But JoonMyun only chuckled. “She’s your best friend. Right now, I would do anything to make you feel safe and comfortable, and if that meant to let you stay with my cousin-in-law, then I won’t complain. But in the future, I would like to be that person to you too; so I can be the one you lean on and share things on your mind with when you need someone.” Needless to say, she was too flustered to even maintain a decent eye contact with him after that. It was too deep, what he just told her to take it lightly.

 

It made her feel… Appreciated.

 

Something she thought she would never obtain something like that in her entire life and to tell the truth, she already believed that idea.

 

She was used to that belief too.

 

So when the woman was thrown with the words her fiancé had spoken to her of, the younger female felt completely flabbergasted and dazed, almost refusing to accept his words from entering her brain’s comprehension system.

 

“Should I try and call for the wedding planner from mine’s?” EunHwa bit her lips, unconsciously furrowing her eyebrows into an arch as the elder female scrolled through her list of contacts before flickering her gaze towards the younger friend. JuYeon pursed her lips before shrugging. “Maybe you should. I don’t know who to call anyways. How’s the planner?” She inquired, leaning closer towards her best friend as her eyes stared at the contact EunHwa was pondering to give a call. “Oh, they’re siblings and they’re quite nice. They give unique ideas too. Don’t worry, I’ll contact them.” And true to her words, on the third ring of the line, it broke through the pending silence of the room as an energetic voice greeted in enthusiasm which displayed the excitement of receiving another call from a client. “Oh, hello. This is Yoon EunHwa, a former client speaking. I was wondering if you can help in organizing an official engagement announcement and maybe a future wedding some time around this month?” There was a second of silence and the two women could hear shifting of papers and files which EunHwa thought must’ve been the inquirements of her last appointment with the planner. “Ah, yes, the bride from a few years back – Kim JongDae’s wife, I assume?” EunHwa elicited a smile at the other’s recognition before humming in approvement. “Yes, that would be me.” She almost let out a chuckle. “Well, how may we help you? You said there’s a possible wedding? My, I hope it’s not you.” The other woman on the line giggled, but EunHwa rolled her eyes at the joke.

 

“Oh, believe me. I wish that was the case. But apparently, JongDae’s cousin is the one going to stand on the altar.” The elder smirked as she let her gaze linger on the younger female who glared at her teasing. “Oh! His cousin? Wait, the one who became his best man or the younger one? This is a serious matter! I believe this will be announced in news soon, am I right?” Well, the other female was a secret detective, that was for sure. That, or maybe she magically inherited Sherlock Holmes genes. EunHwa clapped excitedly from her position as she stared back at the device on speaker mode. “Yes, yes. It’s Kim JoonMyun and he’s getting married to my BFF! This is so romantic and-” “Right, just before you throw confetti in your house, can I at least ask her which services they can provide?” JuYeon voiced out, effectively cutting off her best friend’s jubilance. “Oh my, you are the fiancée? You are so lucky!” The other woman gushed, and JuYeon let out a sigh inwardly. ‘Yes, I’m absolutely very lucky.’ “Thank you, but I was wondering if you could provide us with organizing the engagement public announcement and also the wedding? We’re really kind of in a hurry.” She bit her lower lip as there was silence and some shufflings. “Hmm, a hurry, huh? Well, I’ve checked our own schedule, we can squeeze in two slots for our client. But I must say, your occasions are simply a bit hectic with all the rush. Sorry, it’s not in our work to be snooping on other people’s business. Do ignore me.” The other apologized, but JuYeon brushed it off. “It’s okay, I guess we are in a rush. I have to go back to China by the end of the year so my mother really wanted me to at least get married by then before my flight there.” She explained.

 

It wasn’t a complete fib anyways since her mother really did want her to be wedded and that they had to get married fast before anything happens to her family, she just didn’t tell everything in full detail of how her fiancé decided to play knight-in-shining-armor or in her case, young-CEO-in-a-designer-coat from her psycho-maniac of a ‘father’. She cringed before shaking her head a bit while EunHwa raised a single eyebrow out of curiosity. “Ah, I see. Well then, we should schedule an appointment. Should I place one tomorrow, then? I have another meeting at nine, so maybe I can spare a few hours after lunch if that sounds good to you?” It was silent when JuYeon pondered with her best friend for a moment. She wasn’t busy, but they needed their parents in on this, maybe even EunHwa’s mother. “That sounds nice, thank you. Where should we meet?” JuYeon took her phone to place an alarm on the calendar she booked in her phone. “If you prefer comfortable meetings instead of offices, I suggest the nice little café of the Kims near the university where we first had meeting with your best friend.” At that, the elder female who was mentioned elicited a grin before nodding at JuYeon in agreement. “Yeah, that sounds nice and maybe we should bring Mrs. Kim and your mom there, considering she wasn’t leaving back to Busan tomorrow yet?” EunHwa raised a questioning eyebrow to which JuYeon waved her hand off. “Yeah, that’s fine. What are we discussing of tomorrow? I mean, I really don’t know what to expect here.” The younger rubbed the nape of her neck.

 

The other female from the other side of the line chuckled. “Oh, you don’t need to worry much; that’s supposed to be our job, but just for your curiosity, we’ll be going in details of the venues and decorations along with the catering. We’ll also have to schedule a few meetings with the service provider for that and make sure nothing clashes with your timings and even the themes of the occasions, even your choices of gowns and suits, including the bridesmaids, groomsmen ring bearers and flower girls colours.” Oh that was not a lot to discuss at all. She bit back a groan. EunHwa, sensing her best friend’s distress and dread chuckled before pulling the younger to a side hug. “Yup, she’s stressed alright. But let’s not think about that. By the way, thanks for your service, YeWon. And do greet your sister YeIn for me too.” The other woman hummed happily. “Oh, of course, you’re our favourite client, of course she’ll be glad to help another one out for you! Bye, ladies, we’ll see each other tomorrow then.” They bid their farewells before they hung up, JuYeon immediately jumped back into a lying position as she closed her eyes tiredly. “I can’t wait to get things over with.” She mumbled while EunHwa laughed out loud before hitting the younger with a pillow smack in the face from her side. “Don’t worry. At least we’re one step ahead now.” The two couldn’t have agreed to that statement more.

 

JuYeon just hoped that JoonMyun would go through it with her like he promised.

 

 

 

The next morning found JuYeon in front of the vanity mirror brushing her slightly damp hair as she scrolled through her phone, texting JoonMyun in a chat. “What are you doing?” She heard her best friend asking from the bed, glancing back at the elder woman in the briefest of moments before shrugging. “Hm? I’m just telling JoonMyun about our meeting with the sisters today at lunch.” She nit her lower lip as she typed on the phone. “What’d he say?” EunHwa turned from her positi0n where she was making the bed. “Oh, he said he’s going to pick us up and go the café sunbae manages. That’s the one, right?” The younger woman inquired, receiving a nod in return. “I don’t know if MinSeok oppa is going to be there too, but I have to say, we should book a private booth since lunch times are when the students went there for some caffeine too, you know? I wouldn’t want to discuss those things in such a public space.” The statement her best friend made did have a point, and JuYeon nodded to her words before resuming her conversation with her fiancé on the phone online. “Okay, JoonMyun told me he’ll ask sunbae to book one for us all. He should be here in half an hour or something.” She muttered the last part to herself before moving away from the vanity table to loveseat in front of the bed. “That should be alright. But bestie…” EunHwa drawled out her words to which JuYeon narrowed her eyebrows in suspicion. “What?” The elder pouted before batting her eyelashes towards the younger one. “Can you cook? I’m too lazy today. And besides, you know I miss your dishes a lot.”

 

That was a lie, EunHwa was only lazy that morning, but JuYeon scoffed before dragging herself towards the open kitchen. “Fine, but don’t complain.” The younger took out the ingredients for oatmeal pancakes and in about thirty minutes, she was already serving a big plate of a couple dozens of stack of pancakes with maple syrup bottle on the side when the doorbell to the house rang. EunHwa voluntarily ran to the door when male voices greeted her elder friend at the front door. Out of curiosity, the younger female poked her head a bit from her position before a small surprised grin etched it’s way onto her face at the sight of her fiancé who made an eye contact with her when JongDae pushed him to the side playfully. “I smell food!” The younger Kim jogged all the way to the kitchen while dragging his wife who gasped while shrieking his name, all the while leaving a chuckling JoonMyun holding onto little JiHwan’s smaller hand on the side as he, too, walked to the open kitchen, still holding his gaze onto her or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter