Act 1. The Prince and the Apprentice

The Frog Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N:] Because the curse is magic Hyungwon still views the world the way a human would because trust me the story wouldn’t go anywhere if he had frog vision. (Nearsighted – can’t see anything that’s not moving- can’t see color.)

It had been a long day of travel for young Prince Hyungwon. They were nearly halfway to the Kingdom of Raemi, where he was to represent his own kingdom in their festivities. He’d been tasked with “upholding the relations between their countries,” as his father had put it. But Hyungwon knew he’d have to smile and pretend like he cared about the processions, unless he wanted an earful from his mother.

Hyungwon frowned as servants changed him into his nightclothes at the small manor house he was resting in. The thought of the future and the stress of travel had left his head feeling bloated.

His parents were cruel in giving him a mid-sized carriage with only four travel companions. The driver and footman were practically invisible, and it was no better being stuck in a carriage with Ambassador Jooheon and Royal Guard Shownu. Neither were much company as Shownu rarely spoke and Jooheon somehow passed out five minutes into the carriage ride. Hyungwon wished he knew how Jooheon did it. As much as he wanted to, the bumpy travel made it near impossible for the irritable prince to rest, leaving him feeling more tired than usual.

The fatigue distracted the prince from his log. He kept twirling his quill absent-mindedly in his hands, completely unable to focus. He shifted after every few seconds, placing the tip of the quill to the blank page in front of him and then withdrawing his hand. He urged his fingers to write, but he couldn’t muster more than a word. A sigh left his lips. This wouldn’t do.

The prince put down his quill and yelled for Jooheon.

As he heard the ambassador scrambling from the next room, he smiled.

Jooheon waited a few seconds to calm himself before he knocked and peeked his head inside the door. “You called, Your Highness?”

“Can’t focus. Have a headache. Fetch a doctor and some tea,” Hyungwon ordered as he reclined in his chair with his head leaned back and eyes closed.

“Your Highness…” Jooheon uncomfortably shuffled his feet by the doorway. “I’m just an ambassador-”

The prince’s eyes shot open and tilted his head up to the ambassador. “Did you not hear me properly?”

Biting back whatever spite was at the end of his tongue, Jooheon complied. “I’ll get right on it, Your Highness.”

Hyungwon wasn’t exactly a model prince. Yes, he was handsome. Sure, he was charming. But that was only when he wanted to be.

To those who knew him well, Prince Hyungwon was known for being an annoying little who always got what he wanted, or else. For some, the prince’s outlandish behavior was a source of daily entertainment, but for others... not so much.

Jooheon sadly fell into that latter category.

Day in and day out, the humble ambassador served as a messenger for the prince. Day in and day out, the prince made him do ridiculous tasks. Though he was someone of status, he’d had to do odd jobs like deliver juice to the prince (which the prince spat out) or buy the prince a new ink well (which his broke the next day). One time, Prince Hyungwon had even used Jooheon for target practice.

Jooheon even swore his hair was starting to fall out prematurely because of all the stress.

The ambassador spent his best days in the Kingdom of Raemi. Though it wasn’t his birthplace, Jooheon had spent the majority his life in the Kingdom of Raemi and for the most part, it happened to be pleasant. However, if he had to pick just one thing about the kingdom he didn’t like, it would be the scary Head Pharmacist.

So, when the manor’s housekeeper told him that the doctor was gone and that he’d need to send for the Court Pharmacist, he almost thought he’d heard the housekeeper wrong.

“Court Pharmacist? You mean the creepy herbologist with the pink hair?” Jooheon’s eyes were a full two centimeters wide as he gestured to his head with his hands.

The servant only nodded, and Jooheon felt like he was the one who had to go see a doctor.

The Head Pharmacist of Raemi, Yoo Kihyun, was known for a lot of things. His name was widespread throughout the land as one of the best herbologists in this day and age. He could cure almost anything in a matter of minutes. But what concerned Jooheon was the fact that Kihyun was also a wizard. That too, a wizard that didn’t like people all that much. Especially people that asked for favors.

Jooheon prayed as he sent out the calling signal that Kihyun would be a good, merciful mood.

A cloud of purple dust swirled in the manor’s parlor just minutes after the signal was sent.

“Ambassador Jooheon. It’s always a pleasure seeing you. Is there a particular reason you called me out to the middle of nowhere at one in the morning?” Kihyun smiled coldly, the underlying malice in his eyes ever present.

The ambassador felt his mouth go dry as he tried to formulate a response. “Prince Hyungwon is feeling a little ill and I was hoping you could aid him so we can continue our journey tomorrow in peace.”

“Lead the way,” Kihyun said dryly.

Jooheon silently guided Kihyun up the stairs to the prince’s quarters where Hyungwon remained seated as servants massaged him. They immediately let go of the prince the moment Jooheon and Kihyun entered the room.

“What took you so long?” Hyungwon frowned at Jooheon, ignoring the Court Pharmacist who wordlessly went to his side.

Jooheon bowed his head, expecting this from the prince. “Sending for a doctor at this time of night isn’t easy, Your Highness. You’ll have to forgive the punctuality.”

Hyungwon let out a huff of air and drooped further into his seat. He let his arm lay limply at his side instead of holding it up for Kihyun.

The pink haired wizard snorted at the prince’s childish behavior. It was too late at night for Kihyun to maintain his geniality. “Are you normally this much of an ?”

With fire in his eyes, the prince looked at the Court Pharmacist for the first time since he’d entered the room. “Excuse me, who do you think you’re talking to?”

“An overgrown child,” Kihyun shot back so quickly that Hyungwon was shocked.

The prince scoffed. He didn’t know if the Court Pharmacist’s attitude made him angry or bemused. “Just do your job.”

“I am doing my job, but I didn’t know it required me to deal with such a brat,” Kihyun answered as he finished checking the prince’s pulse.

Hyungwon pulled his hand back so fast that Kihyun’s nails scratched his skin. “Such impudence speaking to me that way. Who do you think you are? The Queen?”

“Do I look like your mother, kid?” Kihyun sneered.

Enraged, the prince retorted without caring about the weight of his words. “Obviously not. If you were my mother, there’s no way I’d be this tall.”

Jooheon gasped as he restrained himself from reaching out and shaking the prince. His eyes silently screamed, “Why would you say that?!” as he bore holes into the prince with his stare. In the passing moments, the ambassador kept flicking his eyes between the prince and the wizard, waiting to see what would happen next.

Sweat dropped from Jooheon’s forehead as he saw how flat and pale Kihyun’s pressed lips became.

The wizard didn’t bow as he strode to the door. He stopped briskly in front of Jooheon, making him jolt when he grabbed his hand. Shivers went down Jooheon’s spine when a cold glass vial was pressed into his palm.

“Give this elixir to the prince by stirring it nicely into his tea. It should help with the headache.” Each word Kihyun uttered sounded as if he was spitting a curse. “There are some side effects to this drug, so I’d advise the prince to take heed.”

Jooheon frantically nodded, hoping that if he complied the tiny wizard would spare his life.

“I’m a busy man. Don’t call on me again.” Kihyun’s side-eyed glare made him feel like hell was freezing over. He stepped out into the hall and disappeared in a cloud of black smoke.

When the wizard was finally gone, Jooheon immediately turned to his prince. “Did you have to talk to him like that, Your Highness?”

“Are you sassing me as well?” Hyungwon’s voice edged on a threat.

Jooheon held back a resigned sigh. There was no helping his prince. “Of course not, Your Highness.”

“Then, serve me my damn tea.”

The servants rolled a cart in and prepared the ginseng tea. Jooheon poured the contents of the small vial into the cup before placing it in front of the prince.

Hyungwon’s face scrunched up as he drank his first sip. The tang on his tongue was too strong. It was an overwhelming flavor that made his whole body feel strange. It was odder still how, despite the taste, he couldn’t stop himself from drinking every last drop. When he finished, the prince felt feverish. Cold sweat drenched his form and the room began to spin. He gripped the arms of his chair until his knuckles were white just to try and make it stop.

He swallowed the thick buildup in his throat and ordered Jooheon again, “Go open the window, it’s too stuffy in here.”

The ambassador hurried to window, throwing it open as quickly as he could. Jooheon quickly turned around to face the prince only to find the room sans prince. At first, he thought it was a trick but then he saw Prince Hyungwon’s clothes lying in a heap on his seat. Something shuffled in the fabric and Jooheon fell over in fright. His lips quivered as he approached the clothes again.

A frog hopped out of the shirt and directly in front of Jooheon’s face. The startled ambassador collapsed with a thud, alerting Shownu who was standing guard outside.

Before long, the manor was teeming with guards - all frantically searching for their prince.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter