Why Asking A Girl About Cake Flavors Is Grounds For A Mental Breakdown

Exploding Dishes and Other Reasons Im Nayoung is Tired

Kyungwon really doesn't know how she got here. Okay, that was a lie. She knows. It's because she's bad at planning, but in her defense, well...nothing. Kyungwon knows she’s bad at planning. That’s why she put the post-it note reminders of Yewon’s birthday everywhere — in her jacket pocket, on her hairbrush, in her underwear drawer…

It didn't make a difference, apparently.

Kyungwon doesn't know a lot, but she...yeah. She's the brawn of the team. And the pack horse. She carries their equipment. But the strategizing and planning is really Nayoung's and Siyeon's department. Occasionally Eunwoo helps, but Kyungwon was usually locked out of the room or distracted while the planning was going on. It’s probably because go that one time with the plan to launch Siyeon…yeah. Probably.

She thinks maybe she should have at least been able to silently watch the planning meetings because her lack of organization has gotten to the point where she had to ask Eunwoo to help her pick out a birthday present for Yewon.

Kyungwon really doesn't know how she got here. She has no idea how she let Yewon's birthday get so close. A month ago, Yewon's birthday seemed a long ways off, but somehow between the increased training regimen and the shenanigans that the other girls always managed to drag her into that month had turned into barely a week. And Kyungwon had nothing for Yewon.

"I'm so glad you asked me to accompany you." Eunwoo is skipping beside her, a garish green scarf wrapped around her neck to hide her gills, which she hadn't been able to get rid of by the time Kyungwon had dragged her out of the apartment and half carried her to the parking lot. They had gotten quite a few looks in the elevator. Eunwoo is working her way through the largest ice cream cone the shop on the corner had. And the most oddly colored. Eunwoo claims it's payment for her services as some sort of romantic genius. Kyungwon begs to differ, but 4000 won wasn't a huge fee to not go shopping alone and look like a total loser. Eunwoo finishes her ice cream at an almost horrifying speed and Kyungwon has to double check that she didn’t grow another mouth because, wow, a triple scoop should not be finished in three minutes. Eunwoo discards the cone wrapper and turns to Kyungwon, the corners of tinged a slight blue. “So what’s your plan?”

“I-” Kyungwon ducks her head and scuffs the toe of her shoe on the ground as they wait for the walk light.

“No plan. Smooth.” Eunwoo nods like she expected this. “This isn’t the best way to win a girl over, you know.”

Kyungwon splutters. “Win…over?” Kyungwon’s getting a gift for a friend. Nothing more. And there’s certainly no winning of any sort. None. No winning. At all. None. Friends. Friends are nice. Yewon is nice. More than nice. But just friends. N-

Eunwoo grins and slings her arm around Kyungwon’s shoulder, either oblivious to or not caring about the other girl’s mental breakdown. “Sure. Win over. In fact, hey! Why not just give yourself as a gift? Yewon’s already head over heels for you. I’m sure there’s a box big enough to fit you in somewhere in the neighborhood. Yeah! We can go t-”

“W-wait a second.” Kyungwon stops in the middle of the sidewalk, shaking her head in a mixture of disbelief in confusion. “I don’t even know where to begin. A big box? They let you into the planning meetings but not me? I’m not giving myself to Yewon for her birthday.” Kyungwon pauses and thinks if she has any other objections. Oh, right. “And I’m not trying to win her over!”

Eunwoo pouts, and if she had puppy ears like she did last week for two days, Kyungwon is sure they would have been drooping. “Jeez. Just trying to help you.” 

Kyungwon starts walking again, feeling a little bad. Eunwoo’s puppy eyes were no joke. But she needs real help. And she had grabbed Eunwoo for better or worse. “What does Yewon like?”

“Gosh. I don’t know. Maybe the girl who she spends all her time with would know.” Eunwoo’s tone is clipped and she’s still pouting. This is the second time they had walked around this block and Kyungwon is starting to worry that they were getting suspicious. 

Kyungwon racks her mind for anything Yewon said she wanted or needed. Nothing. But wait. Eunwoo said something about- “Yewon is so not head over heels for me.”

Eunwoo looks at Kyungwon like she's the stupidest person in a ten block radius. Maybe even in twenty blocks. "I can't believe you haven't noticed. You're so oblivious. You're-" Eunwoo bursts into laughter, startling a few passersby. "Incredible. Just incredible."

Kyungwon is annoyed now. Eunwoo is spouting nonsense, as usual, and on the day that Kyungwon actually needs her. "Please be serious. I need help."

"Oh boy, yeah. You do. You're so in love with her that your left shoelace is untied."

"I-" Kyungwon glances down at her shoes. They're both tied, albeit a little messily. Kyungwon's confused now. "My shoes are tied!"

Eunwoo changes the subject, jarring Kyungwon out of her confusion. "So what are you thinking for cake flavors?"

"Cake?"

"Yewon's birthday cake, Dumbo. Aren't you going to get her one?"

"Oh. Right." Kyungwon scratches her head. She hadn't thought about cake. Maybe having Eunwoo around was a little helpful. "Chocolate maybe? But Yewon was just talking about carrot cake..." Kyungwon perks up at a thought. "Could a cake be my present?"

Eunwoo visibly shudders at Kyungwon's question, which is a little offensive. "You're the biggest idiot I've ever had an extended conversation with and it keeps getting worse."

Kyungwon's really offended now. She hopes it shows in her tone. "What?"

"You can't get a girl a cake as a present!" Eunwoo throws up her hands in exasperation. "That's terrible!"

Kyungwon grumbles. She knew that, but the thought of giving Yewon the wrong gift was freaking her out. What if Kyungwon got the same gift as someone else did and she opened Kyungwon's second? What if she hated Kyungwon's gift and had to pretend she liked it? What if-

"You also never denied it."

Kyungwon pauses her freak out enough to look at Eunwoo confusedly. "Huh?"

"You never said you weren't in love with Yewon."

Kyungwon opens only to close it again. She probably looks like a fish. And to think Eunwoo was the one with the gills. Oh god. "I'm in love with Yewon?"

"Gosh don't say it so much like a question. You've known for months."

Kyungwon stops walking and shuffles through the past few months. Yewon and her watching that Disney movie, Kyungwon's treat. Yewon and her racing go-karts. Kyungwon let Yewon win to see her smile. Kyungwon helping Yewon carry her entirely too heavy desk five flights because the elevator was out of order. Kyungwon had to pretend her back didn't hurt for the next week so Yewon wouldn't feel guilty. "Oh my god."

Eunwoo stops a few steps ahead and watches her. "You-you didn't know?"

"Oh my god."

"Seriously?" When Eunwoo doesn't get a response, she flails a little in frustration. "Even Kyla knew!"

"I'm in love with Yewon." Kyungwon rolls the thought around in her brain a little. Huh. It's not as revolutionary as she thought it would be. Huh. But this just makes it harder for her to get a present for her.

"Kyungwon? Y'okay?"

"But what do I get for her?"

--

A/N

Hi Guys!

I managed to get this out in time for a little of Yewon's birthday. I'll reference back to the party in chapters to come, so you won't have to worry about missing it. I want to see Yewon's real party (hopefully a Vlive!) before I start writing it. Looks like Sungyeon is next? Then the real fun begins. I can start repeating characters. Maybe I'll finish the other birthday arc I have going. Or maybe I'll get Minkyung's side of the Yebin chapter...We'll see...

I'm allowing myself to get pumped about Pristin's debut, especially with these daily Vlives. (Yebin's English though...)

See you soon!

Elly