Chapter 14; Broken hand, Broken heart

A place to Belong

When the vampires’ house came into sight one hour and a half later, Jieun could feel the butterflies in the stomach come to life, but when she were met by a couple of smiling vampires and their “welcome home”, the butterflies turned into a storm of happiness. She hurried up to her bedroom with her bag and when she got downstairs, Dr. Lee offered her a blood smoothie. She happily accepted it before she sat down next to Leo on the piano stool. A faint sigh left her lips as she mumbled “ah, home at last”, but the words barely left her lips before he got up and left the room without a word or glance. She followed him with her eyes as Ravi and Hongbin reached her, so she said; “what did I–?” but Ravi patted her shoulder and said “don’t mind him” he sighed and looked in the direction of Leo while saying “he has a lot on his mind”. Jieun sighed and rested her head on Hongbin’s shoulder as he sat down next to her.

Jieun enjoyed the boys company for a while before she excused herself and went to her room and jumped onto the bed, hoping some sleep would come to her, but instead, it was images of Leo and how peaceful he had looked when he slept on her bed, and it kept her awake long into the night.

 

When she got down the next morning, she sat down next to Hongbin and shortly after came Leo as well, but instead of sitting next to her, he went to the other end of the table. Jieun felt a pang in her chest and looked down. Hongbin discreetly grabbed her hand under the table and gave it a gentle squeeze, and when she looked surprised at him, he gave her an encouraging smile.

Jieun tried to pretend that everything was alright, but throughout the morning, she noticed that Leo acted naturally when he was with the others, it was only her that he ignored.

When they were cleaning after lunch, Jieun found herself feeling angry at Ravi for joking with Leo, and she realized that she was jealous of them.

 

Jieun went down to the basement, which was a fully equipped gym, and spent the most of the afternoon working out. She had just taken a sip of water when the door slammed shut. She quickly spun round and saw Hongbin standing there, and to her surprise was Hyuk sitting on the bench press. She looked at him suspiciously and said “how long have been there?” He smiled and said “long enough to know you could be a tough competition to Ravi and Hongbin hyung”.

She flopped down on the floor and pushed the damp bangs away with a heavy sigh, so Hongbin squatted next to her and offered her a towel while he said “are you still thinking about yesterday?” She sat back up, took the towel and said “I can't help it. It hurts when he won't talk to me, when he won't look at me, it hurts - God, it hurts when I'm jealous of you!” She buried her face in the towel, but the two boys caught her glossy eyes. They looked at her silently for a moment before Hyuk said “you’re in love in with him, aren’t you?” She made a small noise, so Hongbin her gently on her back while he said; “it’s okay. Nobody can control their feelings.”

Jieun mumbled; “I know” but then lifted her head and continued “but I’m just gonna end up getting hurt, or worse; hurt him.” Hyuk nodded and said “do whatever you want. I’ll back you up.” She looked at him with surprise and disbelief, so he continued “but I think you should do something about it.” She sighed and said “yeah, I guess.” But then she smiled and said “I will!” before getting up and hurrying to the door, but then turned to the boys and said “you’re the best!” while giving them a dazzlingly smile.

When she had showered and came down to dinner, she saw that they were seated so that the only free seat was next to Leo and Hyuk discreetly winked at her. She tried to talk with Leo, but it was hard and as soon as possible, he disappeared to his room.

 

When Jieun came downstairs the next day, she saw that Leo was sitting by the piano and decided that she would confront him, since there was nobody else on the entire floor. She walked over to him and carefully said “Leo oppa?” He stopped playing, but didn’t move, so she sat down and said “have I done something wrong?” A soft “no” left his lips, so she moved a bit closer and said “but oppa, I–” he stopped her with a “don’t” before he got up and left. She closed her eyes and tried to hold back the tears, but when it failed, she hit the piano stool – and froze and let out a small yelp when the pain shot through her hand and forearm.

“Jieun!”

She lifted her head and saw Ravi sit down next to her where he carefully took a hold of her hand. She started to cry and said “oppa, it hurts” he sighed and said; “of course, I think it’s brok–” she interrupted him by saying “it hurts here” and grabbed her top where her heart was. He sighed again and said softly “oh, Jieun-ah” while he pulled her head onto his shoulder and ran his fingers through her hair. After sitting like that for a while, and he sensed that the tears had stopped, he said; “come on, let’s go see samchon. I think you’ve broken your wrist.” She wiped the tears away, nodded and let him help her up.

 

 

When they reached Dr. Lee’s clinic, he smiled and said surprised “Wonsik, Jieun! What are you doing here?” but then noticed how Jieun carefully cradled her arm and exclaimed; “what happened?” Ravi gave Jieun a short glance before answering “Jieun had an accident” Dr. Lee nodded and said “okay, come inside, then we’ll take a look”

10 minutes later came a nurse in with Jieuns X-rays and said “there is a fracture of the base of the first metacarpal bone. It looks like a non-reduction” Dr. Lee looked briefly at the pictures, and when the nurse was gone, he looked at the kids and said “should I be worried whether the house still stands when I get home?” when no one said anything, he sighed and said “Jieun-ah. The x-rays show that you have what is called a Bennett fracture. It means that you’ve broken your thumb.” She sighed and said “does that mean I have to have it in a cast?” Dr. Lee nodded and said “yes, but with your healing? Only days” When he was done, he smiled at them and said; “shall I take you home?” Jieun looked down, but before she had a chance to answer, Ravi said “no thanks. We have a date”. The other two looked disbelieving at him, so he smiled and said “ah, not a date-date, but a siblings-date.” Dr. Lee said “ah, really? Then I won’t keep you. Just remember to be careful with your hand.” She nodded and thanked him for the help before following Ravi.

When they got out, Jieun turned to him and said; “oppa, why did you suddenly decide that we should on a date?” Ravi smiled and said “I had a feeling that you didn’t want to go home just yet, but didn’t want to tell samchon why”. Jieun smiled gratefully at him and said “thank you. Let’s go”.

 

Jieun enjoyed spending the afternoon with Ravi and quickly got in a good mood once again. When the sun eventually started to set, Ravi called home and asked for someone to come and pick them up. They were standing just outside a small café so Ravi asked if they should go in while they waited. Jieun nodded, but just as they were about to enter, someone called out Ravi’s name, so they stopped and when Ravi exclaimed “Kai! Taemin!” with a smile, Jieun touched his arm and said “oppa, I’ll just go ahead.” He was about to say something so she quickly added “I need to use the ladies’ room” Realization lit up his face “ah, go on. I’ll be there in a moment.”

As Jieun left the toilet, someone exclaimed “Jieun-ah! I thought it was you!” Jieun quickly looked up and a big smile spread across her lips when she saw Hannah and Minhee. They quickly came over to her with Niel, Changjo and Ricky, and Niel asked with a big smile “what are you doing here?” Jieun answered “I’m here with –” but Hannah cut her off by exclaiming “omo! Jieun-ah! What happened to your hand?” Jieun looked at her cast before she nervously scratched her neck while saying “apparently I’ve broken my thumb” Minhee was about to say something, but Ricky stopped her by saying; “, vampires!” Jieun quickly looked in the same direction and saw that Ravi had just entered with two other vampires that she could only assume were Taemin and Kai. She was about to say that they were okay when the boys pulled the girls behind them. Jieun yelped “oppa!” in surprise, so Ravi turned to them and quickly crossed the café.

When the three vampires were almost at their side, Niel snarled “stay away from my pack members!” Kai snorted, which made the three male wolves’ eyes glow yellow. To everyone’s surprise, Jieun stood between Kai and Niel and put up her hands to stop them while she growled “that’s enough!” but then winced with a small sound. Ravi gently cradled her arm and said “Eun-ah! Are you okay?” She gave him a faint smile and said “yeah, I –” but Niel cut in with a growl “Eun-ah? Who do you think you’re talking to?!” Ravi’s eyes turned red as he said; “I can talk to my dongsaeng however I like!” which made the other four males exclaim “WHAT?!” Jieun instinctively took a step closer to Ravi and Hannah protectively stepped up and said; “let’s just sit down, then we’ll explain everything.” Niel nodded, so Ravi looked at Jieun and said; “can I get you anything?” she slumped against Ravi and said with a sigh “I could really use a smoothie now” so he chuckled and said; “anything I can get you here?” She gave him a smile and said; “a latte, please”.

 

When the nine young one had found a table, and gotten their orders, Kai, who sat at the end and looked quite uncomfortable, said “hyung, how did you end up here with a Wolf?” Ravi looked at Jieun with a smirk and said; “because she apparently thought it could be fun to walk into a bear trap” so Jieun quickly said “did not!” Niel purposely cleared his throat, so she looked down in her cup and said; “well, uh, I. I –” Minhee placed a hand on her arm, so she gave her a grateful smile before looking up and say; “I left my pack about a month ago and accidently ended up in a bear trap.” A faint smile graced her lips as she continued “Ravi oppa found me and saved me–” she got interrupted by someone saying with fake hurt “what about the rest of us?” making Ravi say; “hyung!” She quickly turned in her seat, and when she saw N standing behind her, she lit up in a big smile and exclaimed “oppa!” He smiled back and said “hey agi-ah. Ready to go home?” She nodded and was about to get up when Changjo stopped her and said; “wait, home? You live with them?” She sighed and said “yeah. We found out that I’m half vampire, so they –” Taemin exclaimed “bull!” but Jieun growled “I’m not lying!” as her eyes glowed red, much to the surprise of the table, and walked past N, but then sighed before she turned around and looked at her pack members with her normal brown eyes and said; “please don’t tell the rest of the Flock.” Minhee carefully said “not even Sooyoung?” so Jieun sighed once more and said, “no, you may tell her, but only her.”