Big Catch

[One Shot] Big Catch

Subaru believed life is just like fishing; that you need to have the patience as much as the passion. The distance between yourself and the target aren’t suppose to be too near, not supposed to be too far either. You need to position yourself only as far away as water clarity dictates; stay close enough for consistent accuracy. That was why when Yoko complained about going fishing with him, Subaru thought he might have pulled Yoko too close. As if getting the cue, Ohno’s invitation definitely delighted Subaru more. There was this very strategic place to fish cherry salmon, seabass and blue gills in Kanagawa, and it was a very quiet and peaceful place too. Taguchi will come along, said Ohno. There was multiple waving emojis at the end of Ohno’s message, and at the end of the text was signed with ‘Leader of the Johnny’s Fishing Club’. Subaru couldn’t get any more excited – except the fact that Ohno might just a little too used with being called ‘The Leader’. Or maybe he felt he could be a more useful leader in fishing club instead.

The day when Subaru reached the Lake Ashino, he almost couldn’t wait to jump on the boat. Taguchi was already there, grinning beamingly at him that it wasn’t that hard for Subaru to figure out Taguchi was at least as excited as he is, if not more.

I’m sorry, I suddenly had an urgent band meeting. We were having some problems with our coming album and we need to fix it as soon as possible. – Leader of Johnny’s Fishing Club.

Subaru grimaced at the text he just received. Scratch his previous thought. Ohno is definitely useless as a leader no matter what group that would be. “That sneaky little...” Subaru started, but he noticed Taguchi raising his eyebrows, so Subaru just shook his head. “Ohno ditched us for a meeting.”

“Ah, too bad. Anything happen at work?” Taguchi nodded in understanding. He knew there was something up because Ohno had never been late in meetings.

“Apparently some problems surfaced from their up-coming album,” Subaru shrugged, decided that they should just continue the day without Ohno just when the boat’s engine roared louder. “I don’t even know what.”

Taguchi shrugged a bit, climbing up the small boat that was long ready for them, following Subaru. “I can understand that. I’ve been having problems with it occasionally too,” there was a tiny sigh at the end of Taguchi’s words, as if something was bothering him.

“Like wanting to kill yourself when things went wrong?” Subaru decided to play along. Then Taguchi gaped, looking back at Subaru with eyes wide in horror. Their hairs disarrayed by the warmth of the lake wind, brushing gently over their faces as the boat sped to a certain spot in the lake. For a split second, it felt the time stops. And Subaru frowned, looking back as if he said nothing eventually. “What? I was just exaggerating!”

Taguchi sighed, turning back to the wide calm lake. “Your exaggeration is scary. I won’t kill myself just because I lost in composing,” he chuckled nervously.

“You had troubles in composing?” Subaru asked, out of pure politeness. He raised his rod straight up before whipping it forward with his wrist.

“Well, I... Kind of getting into a self-made competition with Yucchi and Koki, as in who can compose the fastest, excluding Kame and Uepi,” Taguchi’s voice was low, as if he was talking to himself. He lowered his lure a few inches below the rod tip before casting, giving an extra momentum of his cast. “Kame mainly because he’s not interested in such competition, and Uepi because composing had been his specialty, it wouldn’t be fair for us.”

Subaru blinked, staring unbelievably at Taguchi. “You seriously made a competition about who can compose the fastest?” he almost stuttered.

Taguchi blinked, looking at Subaru again in confusion. “Anything wrong with that?”

“Well, it’s just weird,” Subaru sighed, flipping his rod gently, giving a low trajectory on his cast. “It’s like fishing with the strength of the arm, playing with the different part. Aren’t you suppose to cast with the wrist?” by that moment, Subaru wondered what the hell he was talking about.

“I did try to... well, not using too much arm strength?” Taguchi frowned a bit, not really getting into the metaphor. “You mean, writing with fingers or stuff like that?”

Subaru’s face dropped.

“That’s not what I meant, silly,” Subaru elaborated. “I mean, you don’t rush when you write music. You need to feel it, not race for it. Like how you feel when you see the streets illumination light in winter full with white snow. Or the thousand stars blinking softly in the curtains of night. Or the warmth of the ginko trees that gave you the melancholic feelings. It was all about feelings.”

Taguchi blinked a few times. Feel it. That sounds a lot easier.

*****


I bought a new short fast taper rod that is easier to pull in bigger fish. It gives more pulling power. Want to try it together at Ichigaya Fishing Center this weekend? – Leader of Johnny’s Fishing Club.

Life is indeed just like fishing. There were times that you would go fishing at a fishing center like Ichigaya where you don’t have any problems catching a fish. There will also be times when you fish at a calm lake that requires a lot of casting techniques, or at the flowing river that you had to use the drifting techniques, or the time when you had to fight against windy weather, and you had to put tension on the line just before the lure touches down just so to prevent it from blowing across obstructions.

When Taguchi texted him moments after Ohno’s message, Subaru thought Taguchi was the river type, drifting naturally towards him.

Want to bring a notebook while fishing this weekend? We can compose while fishing. – Taguchi.

That weekend Subaru thought Taguchi was loud. That boy probably forgot the rule to make the lure land of water with as little noise as possible, or maybe he simply felt that rule was abandoned, considering how noisy Ichigaya can be. The fishes will take the bait anyway, so who cares? They just want to try the fast taper rod anyway, nothing really serious.

“I think I don’t have talents in writing songs,” Taguchi complained. “It’s like ‘sai’ NO. I’m giving up already.” 1

Ohno chuckled at the lame pun Taguchi spurted.

“If I wasn’t mistaken, game lovers don’t usually give up that quickly,” Subaru said, almost rolling his eyes at the previous pun. He remembered how Yoko enthusiastically tried all night to win one stage in a game. “And I don’t remember those who fish give up that easily either.”

“But Koki is quite good in lyric writing. I don’t think I’ll win. I hate losing,” Taguchi whined.

“And whoever said you’ll win in the first place?” Subaru joked half-heartedly, but he froze the moment Taguchi and Ohno stared at him incredulously. “I was just joking!” he exclaimed. “Besides, I told you music is about feelings. Even if you won, you can’t deny the feelings of those who lost.”

Taguchi blinked at that. Deep inside, he agreed with Subaru. What was the purpose they created this competition again? Taguchi almost lost his reason. He stared blankly, down at his notebook. His messy handwriting was everywhere, jotting down what he can catch from his mind, but nothing was satisfactory enough for him. Before he could even think further, he felt a sharp pull on his rod. And the three fishers started to jump excitedly, studying how they should pull for a big fish with such a short rod closely. Taguchi found himself laughing again with the other two.

When they stopped for lunch, Ohno brought out three boxes of bento, offering his friends one each. Taguchi felt he had never eaten a homemade bento before. As he opened the bento excitedly, he saw a panda onigiri and a brown bear onigiri side by side, with chicken thighs stuffed with spinach, feta, and pine nuts around the box, together with red and yellow bell pepper strips covering the panda and bear’s head.

“You sure had a lot of free time doing this,” Subaru frowned, picking a piece of chicken as he stuffed it into his mouth.

“It’s beary good friends. Actually, my mom made it for me,” Ohno grinned, taking a bite for himself.

“Yeah, figured that much, obviously,” Subaru chuckled. “As long as there’s no mushroom, it’s fine for me.”

“I wish my mom can make a bento like this for me too,” Taguchi said, stuffing the onigiri into his mouth, munching happily.

“I don’t think I can get one. I rarely meet my mom,” Subaru shrugged. “I probably spend more time with Eito more than my family.”

Taguchi chuckled at that. “But parents are parents. They meant a lot, even if we don’t spend time with them.”

Subaru wanted to retort the statement, but something inside refrained him. He thought Yoko told him once that Taguchi didn’t have his parents around. Or was it just his mother? Or his father? Subaru couldn’t remember. Not that he ever cared anyway.

*****


Not that Subaru thinking too much about it, but it doesn’t hurt to visit your parents when you have a little break while working at Osaka. Their concert was a blast. Their fans were amazing as always. Subaru loved the feelings about being on stage. The crowd and the cheers are like drugs, transmitting a whole sum of energy into his soul. He almost thought he wouldn’t mind spending his whole life with them, as long as he would be able to make the crowd happy, as long as he can communicate with their souls and desires.

When Subaru decided to return home to his family, he was damn exhausted. Slumping himself onto his old bed, the quilt smell fresh. As if it wasn’t used for years, and Subaru wondered if his family never let anyone use his bed while he was gone. He wasn’t sure when he fell asleep, and he wasn’t sure how long he slept either. By the time he woke up, the day has passed noon. Subaru took a bath, making his way to the kitchen. His mom was preparing some tea snacks.

“You didn’t wake me up,” Subaru grumbled, somehow feeling hunger rising in his stomach. He glanced at the clock, knowing he’ll have to leave after some tea, because their concert tours has yet to end.

His mom chuckled. “I did. You just won’t wake up,” she put a plate of yakitori with a teapot and cups, picking the tray as she headed to the living room with Subaru in tow, where his father and his little brother were sitting, enjoying some TV shows. “Not too long ago when you were a baby, I was struggling to make you go to sleep. Ironic enough, now it’s even harder to wake you up,” she smiled warmly, pouring the cups with tea. “I decided I wanted you to have your rest.”

Subaru stared at his mother for a few seconds. He wasn’t aware how he had grown along the years. He was once a very little baby, that he might gave a lot of troubles upon growing up. When he was in the deepest , getting a rebellious tattoo and all, he remembered his mother was one of them who never judged him.

But parents are parents. They meant a lot, even if we don’t spend time with them.

“Mom,” Subaru picked up one stick of Yakitori, stuffing it into his mouth and munched hungrily. “I have to go after tea time, but I love you.”

“I know,” his mom smiled, sipping her cup of tea. “You have no idea how much I do.”

His father and his little brother smiled. Subaru thought home will always be home, no matter how rare he went home to them. When he managed to snatch the last stick of Yakitori from his little brother, his phone vibrates, indicating a new message.

I think Uepi and Akanishi are still the best composers of KAT-TUN. – Taguchi.

Subaru took another bite of Yakitori, as his left thumb typed a message; Ueda is Ueda. Akanishi is Akanishi. Nothing hurts more than being the victim of comparison, so stop doing that.

Maybe I should start feeling the same way like you do then? – Taguchi.

And Subaru grinned.

*****


When Taguchi sat in Johnny’s live room plucking his guitar, he thought Subaru was right. Music is all about speaking your emotions. You have to be patient. You have to make the lure land of water with as little noise as possible, engulfing yourself in the music and emotions, just like how you engulf yourself in nature while fishing. Only then will you able to produce better music.

Subaru joined him a few while after, picking Taguchi’s half done music sheet. A guitar in his lap, accompanying Taguchi’s melody with his own. “Have you decided what to do?”

Taguchi’s signature grin appeared, beaming like the dawn sunshine bent with sheer splendor. “The reason we’re doing this competition is to have fun. So I want to have fun no matter who wins.”

“Have something in mind?”

“I want to sing with them,” Taguchi nods. “KAT-TUN had been like a family to me, and I want to have fun as a family. I never get to feel something family-like since my parents divorced. They were the first that accepted me that way. Even if we might argue sometimes, but a family has their quarrel too.”

“I’m sure they feel the same,” Subaru said. “Someone made me believe in the bond,” he winked.

“Because I’m handsome?” Taguchi grinned.

Subaru rolled his eyes at the obvious KY-ness. “That has nothing to do with this. But it’s not particularly wrong either.” And when Taguchi gaped, Subaru chuckled.

“Actually, I don’t mind sharing my family with you,” Subaru felt blush creeping up to his cheeks. Taguchi blinked a few times. Subaru almost forgot Taguchi wasn’t smart enough to interpret that. So he leant forward, planting a chaste kiss on Taguchi’s lips. One hand tucking Taguchi’s headphone gently before it slid off, hanging on Taguchi’s neck. The younger blinked a few more times at that before beaming into a larger smile. “Took you long enough to figure that out,” Subaru mumbled, trying to brush away his embarrassment.

“Uepi said Osaka is cool,” Taguchi chirped.

“Oh, yeah. I’m sure you’ll love it,” Subaru smiled proudly.

*****


“So,” Koki scanned through the music sheet Taguchi handed to him and Nakamaru. “Apparently we managed to finish the song. Shall we decide the winner then?”

“No,” Taguchi grinned sheepishly. “My song isn’t complete without you and Yucchi. I need your rap and Yucchi’s beatbox. This is what I feel, so I won’t lose to your piece.”

Nakamaru and Koki’s brows rose.

“I just wanted to have fun with the both of you,” Taguchi shrugged. “Let’s just say, the song ‘Girls’ by T-TN of KAT-TUN?”

“Looks like you understand music more with fishing. That's definitely beyond my reach,” Ueda shrugged. But when Taguchi grinned, Ueda just shook his head, ruffling the hair of the tall smily-prince of KAT-TUN. “T-TN is a lame name though. I won’t let you skip my initial that way,” Ueda said in mock admonishment.

“Don’t worry, Pomu,” Koki laughed. “We’ll just discard your name as well as Kame then. NTT, how does that sounds like?”

Kame and Ueda rolled their eyes.

*****


Subaru concluded life is like fishing indeed. There are easy tame fishes like Ichigaya fishes, and difficult fishes at a calm lake that requires a lot of casting techniques, or at the flowing river that you had to use the drifting techniques. You need to have patience as well as passion, and position yourself only as far away as water clarity dictates.

And when he woke up in the morning to see Taguchi sleeping innocently beside him, he thought Taguchi is a big catch. He might seemed like the tame easy fish like one at Ichigaya, but Subaru had to use quite a lot of casting and drifting techniques to lure him, with consistent distance for accuracy. It wasn’t really difficult, but not that easy either.

His cell phone vibrates.

Shall I pay my apology of leaving you and Taguchi alone at Lake Ashino this weekend? I booked a boat there again and this time, I’ll make sure I’ll make it. – Leader of Johnny’s Fishing Club.

Subaru replied. Another fishing trip would be awesome. But no apology. I got a huge catch that day.

Subaru casted a glance at the sleeping acrobat by his side. Oh yeah. Taguchi was a huge catch in his life, indeed.



~The End~


1 “You see, I think I don`t have the talent (sainou) to write songs. It`s like, sai(talent) NO! (laugh). So I`m amazed at Uepi and Akanishi-kun (who can write songs).” – Taguchi, Duet June 2005.


A/N: Taguchi and his family issue~ Sometimes I feel Taguchi is much stronger than anyone, really... ^^