episode two

His Competition in the ER

The nurse handed Jae Ri the list of the people interested in the ER,"Hm, this is a lot more than last year," she shrugged,"Its not like they're going to last long in here anyways."

"Have more faith in them, Seonsangnim. I have a feeling they're not going to be like the last group." Jae Ri thought back to the interns that tried the ER before. 

She bit her lip slightly, slightly leaning forward on the nurses desk,"I'm not being to hard on them, right?" The older nurse smiled at the young girl's expression. 

"Aigoo, look at this girl, being all worried after making a scene like that." 

Jae Ri smiled slightly,"I just want to make sure they won't leave me in a situation like the last group."

The nurse's face twisted slightly,"You and Doctor Im were absolutely amazing on that day. Twenty three patients between two doctors. The nurses couldn't stop talking about it." Jae Ri smiled slightly at the mention of the other doctor,"Speaking of how are things with Seonsangnim?"

She smiled wider,"Fine." She didn't dare to say more when she saw the new recruits walking into the room." Her smile from before fading slightly.

"Hello, thank you for being interested in the ER," she paused as the new recruits applauded,"But sadly you won't be in here for long. The cycle will switch in six months and you will be split and be paired with new people." Her tone turned serious along with her facial expression,"There is never time for rest here in the ER."

She scanned the crowd,"First of all, we need to take attendance and see who backed out already."

She turned to the older nurse a picked up the list from earlier,"Kim Min Seok." She waited for the response, which came surprisingly quick. 

A man wearing glasses spoke quietly, fitting his image,"Here."

She nodded,"…Zhang Yi Xing?" Her hesitation on the pronunciation sent a shockwave through the males, the sudden cuteness throwing them off. 

The said man raised his hand,"I'm here, Seonsangnim." His smile making hers appear slightly. 

"Ne… Alright, Son Na Eun?" The name sounded familiar as she looked up to see who it belonged to. 

A timid hand crept up,"H-Here." The older girl that was bursting with confidence before now looked defeated. 

"Ah… Someone now knows her place," she shot a thumbs up and flashed a smile,"Good job!" Everyone stared in shock at her mean words yet nice gestures.

She quickly settled back to her normal stoic face,"Byun Baek Hyun?"

"Here!!" The chipper voice made her raise an eyebrow slightly,"Sorry, Seonsangnim." His embarrassed look was betrayed by the wide, awkward smile on his face. She nodded at him, sighing.

"Competition, my …." she muttered,"Park Chan Yeol?"

A deeper voice rung out,"Here." It came from a tall, elf man with red face from trying to not laugh at his smaller friend.

"Park Soo Ah?" 

A small girl with short, bleached blond hair raised her hand,"Here."

"Kim Tae Hyung?" A boy with a cute, dopey smile rose his hand. 

"Hello Doctor!" The accent of the boy trying to speak English hurt her heart. How can a human being be this cute?

"Hello there." She said with a wide, genuine smile, her non-accented English and sudden smile shocking all the interns. One hit in the arm softly Tae Hyung in jealousy,"Park Ji Min?"

The boy who hit Tae Hyung perked up,"Ne! Seonsangnim!" His wide smile made her raise an eyebrow. He copied the gesture, making her roll her eyes.

"Figures…"

She finished the roll call and introduced all of the nurses,"These lovely ladies are going to be your best friends. Treat them like it." She kept walking, knowing the crowd would keep following her. 

She showed them around to the rooms, smiling kindly at the patients who greeted her. She stopped at the last room,"This is a 18 year old boy, emitted into the ER earlier this morning. I believe he came in at three in the morning. He and his mother were brought in after an accident."

She looked down to the boy who was sleeping peacefully, picking up his charts. She passed it off to one of the interns,"Glasses, what's wrong with this patient?"

Her attention quickly went back to the boy on the bed, double checking his vitals,"He had bleeding caused  puncture wounds in the thoracic cavity,  narrowly missing the heart and any surrounding arteries; however, his left lung seemed to be pierced. How did he survive?" 

She looked back to him with a smile,"Amazing response, glasses. Luckily, the Emergency Response team got him here within minutes of the accident. It happened just down the street." The interns all started talking amongst themselves,"I only succeeded because of their hard work."They all looked at the smaller girl with admiration in their eyes, silence taking over the room. A buzz disrupted the silence. 

The chief smiled as she saw the familiar name,"Alright, kids. Who wants to see a surgery?"