Late (The Breakfast Club)

The Storybook
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

♦Oneshot♦

(Part One of The Breakfast Club Series)

(1635 words)

 

Angst, Romance, SecretCrush!AU, Pining!Baekhyun, Oblivious!Chanyeol, I'mInLoveWithMyBestFriend!AU

 

Warnings: Mentions of Chansoo, Angst

 

(unedited)

 

 

 

.•♦ Late (The Breakfast Club) ♦•.

(Because the poster for this inspired me ^^;)

 

 

 

Baekhyun stares out the window of the old-fashioned dinner he's currently seated in, watching the people outside scurry by as he waits for Chanyeol, who is very late.


The old, warn vinyl of his seat is sticking to the backs of his legs, making him uncomfortable and restless. The usually comforting smells of greasy breakfast foods and coffee, that have always hung heavy in the air here, are clogging his throat today and making it hard to swallow. And the usual pleasant din of silverware clinking on plates and people happily chatting is slowly pounding at the inside of his head. This is usually where he comes to unwind and recharge—his happy place—but it seems that nothing is going to dispel his negative feelings today. Because he knows why Chanyeol is late. It's the only reason he's ever been late... Chanyeol has fallen for someone again.

For as long as Baekhyun can remember, he and Chanyeol had been coming to this diner once a week for breakfast. It started when they were in diapers, being dragged along to their mothers’ weekly meetup. Then as the boys grew older, they migrated to getting their own table—still close to their guardians, but far enough away for them to feel independent. And then finally when they were old enough to make their own way there, they still continued the tradition, but picked a different day to make it their own.

They have been coming for so long that the staff knows them well, and jokingly call them "The Breakfast Club".

They have always been faithful in their tradition—except whenever Chanyeol finds someone to like. Then he's late, and occasionally doesn't show up at all.

Baekhyun is starting to think that today is going to be one of those days.

He checks the time on his phone again, then let's out a deep sigh and goes back to watching the people passing on the other side of the glass.

A few minutes later his phone pings, and his mood rises for just a split second before he sees that it's just his roommate, Kai, asking him to get some milk on his way home.

This wouldn't feel so bad, Chanyeol blowing him off without so much as a text to explain why, if Baekhyun wasn't madly in love with him—but he is.

He loves Chanyeol, and not in the friendship kind of way. He loves him in that epic way, where music plays in his head when Chanyeol smiles at him, he even finds Chanyeol's flaws appealing, and his heart aches painfully when the taller isn't around. He wasn't really sure when these feelings developed, they just slowly snuck up on him, until one day it just hit him that he loved the giant, dorky idiot, and had for a while.

He’s wanted to confess for a long time, to finally get it off his chest and give his best friend the opportunity to accept him. He had wanted to at least be able to give himself a shot at knowing the feel of Chanyeol's kisses... but there was just one problem, one thing holding him back– Chanyeol was straight.

That's why Baekhyun has never given in and told the other of his feelings. That's why he always tries to be supportive whenever Chanyeol begins dating someone new. But there are times that it's really hard…. times that hurt him to his very core.

Today was one of those days.

With one last glance at his phone, Baekhyun gets up and gathers his things. On his way out, he gives the staff a sad wave, trying not to hold eye contact with any of them for too long. He doe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter