Chapter One

La Vie Est Belle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was early 2015 when Mark's family decided to transfer homes and start anew from United States to Busan. His parents at that time were quite worried he would rebel but to be honest, he never really mind. At the beginning it was hard to adjust to the new environment as they are foreigners but they learned how to get by.

The village they live in now is far different from the capital: there are less people and less pollution; the neighbourhood is quiet, and the people are warm and welcoming. But above all, what Mark likes the most about their place are the beaches and mountains. These are his safe havens since he was young. He loves the calmness of the sea, the cold gusts of the wind and the sound of the nature. That's why his hobbies include walking by the beach alone or hiking in the mountain. Unbeknownst to his mom, he always come to these places when he wants to relax and calm down. Even at night when he finds it hard to sleep, he would sneak out of the house just to go to the sea despite the cold weather. The next day he would be down with a cold, making his mom wonder why. 

This is the simple and comfortable life Mark Tuan is living. Nothing special, nothing exciting. 

"Honey, do you have new friends?" His mom asks one morning.

"Yes" he answers. "I have Jackson". 

Mrs. Tuan rolls his eyes. "Any other friends apart from him?" 

Mark paused for a while to thin before giving his mother a reply. "Well... I have no one except Jackson". 

"Mark! You need to make friends! I bet if Jackson is not loud and very sociable, he won't be friends with you. I don't want you to be alone forever!" 

"I'm not alone! I have you and dad and Jackson" he answers coolly. 

It has always been like this since he was young. Mrs. Tuan would always push him to meet new friends. He meets new people - he would accompany them but at the end they would all drop him simply because he's the quiet type of person. 

Mark is not antisocial. If he does hate people, then Jackson won't be his friend. The truth is, he just does not like talking because it drains the energy out of him. Rather he likes watching people have fun. Our of all the people he met, Jackson as a friend is close to perfection. He is loud but never annoying. He loves talking but never forces Mark to speak when he doesn't want to. Jackson knows when he needs company or when he wants to be alone. Truthfully speaking, Mark does not give a damn if Jackson only befriended him out of pity. He likes Jackson as a friend and as a person and that is what's more important.

"How long are you gonna stuck yourself in your safe zone?" Jackson asks him during lunch in school. 

"Why?" 

"Mark how will you get a love life if you are so busy in your own world?" 

"Jackson, love will find its way. I don't need to rush". He calmly replied. 

But who knew that that time will come too soon, at the moment he least expected? 

One afternoon..

"Hey mom!" Mark says to his mom on the other line one afternoon. "I'll probably  be late for a few minutes. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter