Taken

11thPhilanthropist's Review Portfolio

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

by: kpop_addict4ever
 

 

 

 

 

 

Description
 

Everything was taken away when he lost his memory. Taehyung tries to come back to his old life and find the things he left behind- but how can he find everything when he never knew they were gone?

He lost his memory the day he left because of an accident. He can't remember the girl he loved and he can't remember the other important people in his life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Review

 

 

 

Title

With all honesty, I’d have to admit that your title is pretty basic. One-word titles are often preferred because it provides greater impact than lengthy ones, however this kind of title has been used a lot. There are a lot of movies, books, short stories and songs I can recall that has the same title as yours. I even thought the story is related to someone developing Stockholm Syndrome over her kidnapper. I was proven wrong, though. I don’t even know why it came to my mind. 

 

In a positive outlook, Taken relates greatly to the theme of the story- it’s about a man whose memories are gone. His memories are taken away from him so he needed to start from scratch all over again. It’s a unique concept when you relate it to the title. Like I said before, Taken as a title usually tackles about kidnapping which is clearly, in my relief, not what your story is all about. 
Plus points for the breath of fresh air!

 

Description and Foreword


Here are the steps readers do before settling for a story: First, they get attracted to the book cover or the title, it doesn't matter what order. Second, they look for the back blurb to see if the story is on their liking. The description bar in aff is similar to the back blurb found in the published books. It is a sales pitch, used to draw people in.


My first impression with regards to the description was exactly this. The main character was introduced. We know he has lost his memory, but the mystery as to why he lost them will make me want to read the book. It is a sign of a good-written description. (Tips off hats). And I really love how you asked the reader the question that would soon become the central theme for the story: how do you find something you didn't realize was lost at the first place?


However, the last part of the description kinda threw me off guard. It was like, there was already a building crescendo. No other things could have added, but the further explanation kinda lost the mystery there. 
 

I read once that a morale-asking or any question should be put at the last part of a blurb.
 

(This is just my suggestion because the rest depends on you)

 

PLOT
 

I wrote the review for the description without reading the story first. I’d have to say it turned out to what I was expecting. It wasn’t merely about Taehyung and his lost memories. It included gangs and bloody fights. I don’t know if this is good or bad.

I really wasn’t expecting the whole gang/mafia thing, so my eyes almost popped out when I reached the point of Taehyung waking up from the coma. I was really shocked when his father told him about the Spinebreakers and Wolves. (Heh, that reference, though). 

On a lighter note, I appreciate how you wrote all members of BTS in the story. (Even though Namjoon’s a psycho, cause I’m used to seeing him as a goody two shoes). Did you get the inspiration from the I Need U MV? I feel like you did, judging from Yoongi’s use of lighter and Namjoon stabbing Taehyung in the stomach. It mirrors V’s part in the music video where he stabs his own father. 

I’d admit that I wasn’t fully drawn to the action scenes. It just seemed too sudden and too extreme for me. This might be because there’s only two chapters when a lot of things are happening. It went from Taehyung looking for his lost memories, to him starting a new life, then he remembered a past accident, and then we’d jump to scene where everyone’s almost betraying him, to Taehyung being rescued then him being disabled. There’s a lot of things being served in the plate. 

 

WRITING STYLE

When I read your story for the second time, I realized that you have foreshadowed the lunar eclipse at the start of the story. It’s a great touch because foreshadowing cannot be done with spontaneous writing. You have to plan ahead to insert these easter eggs in your story so it meant must have worked hard for your story. Thank you for giving us the taste of a foreshadowed element because it’s rare to find these days.

I was bothered by the constant use of the word “boy” to describe Taehyung at the first chapter even though his name was already introduced to the readers. It sounds awkward for me.

I’m pleased by your general writing style because you seem to get the memo haha. Did you use a beta-reader? If not, then I would have to salute you! True, there are some grammar mistakes here and there but it is barely noticeable. This shows that you have some great skills hidden in your sleeves and you care for the quality of your works.

Taken in general is a sad story. It started with a lonely boy and it ended with a lonelier boy but only this time, he wasn’t alone anymore. He finally found the person he was looking for. I guess this tells us that no matter how much you suffer in life, if you never give up, there still would be a light at the end of the tunnel.
 

 

TIP

Writing action scenes require lots and lots of describing. If ever you wish to write in these genre again, I’d advise you to spend some time describing about the the movements of the characters and how they feel about it. For example, if Taehyung has been stabbed, write about how the blade felt inside him and what he’s thinking or how much blood is spilling out or if no blood is seen. Add little snippets of details so that it won’t become too rushed at the end. 

 

Reviewer's Note

Please be reminded that all these things are just my opinion. You can follow them or not. Everything still depends on you- if you want to change certain things or to keep it from what it is.