CHAPTER 3

Daughter of the Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER III

Sooyoung didn’t know what to expect when she turned up for dinner; awkward was one thing but to be assumed as the lover of the one who “saved” her was another—especially since said savior was mortal. Even if she’d try to consider it—which she won’t—the affair would be brief, merely a speck of dust in her immortal lifetime, and frankly, she’d rather not get caught up in it. She only wanted to explore the world, after all, not find love. Still, she kept her posture prim and her smile pleasant, neither agreeing nor disagreeing at the comments being thrown because what was the point? She had tried a couple of times, and the young master, who was seated beside her, had rebuked his own father more times than she did only for it to fall on deaf ears. A displeasing thought crossed her mind, causing her to tactfully hide her scowl by sipping some tea.

“So I take, I can already plan the wedding? Ah, but with you being here, aren’t you already considered married? We’ll just need to go through formalities to make it legal.”

She nearly choked on the tea when she heard that, thankfully, she was able to set it down gracefully, placing the teacup on its plate as she gave the young man seated next to her a furtive glance. He was red to the tips of his ears and she could see that he was both embarrassed and at loss with what to do. She didn’t know why but the sight of him being flustered amused her greatly.

With a smile that was dazzling enough to rival the sun, she turned her attention to the patriarch of the house with hands folded neatly on her lap, “I’m very thankful for the warm welcome, but if I may be so bold, would it be alright if we take our time to get to know each other first before we plan any wedding?” She could feel Sungjae’s quizzical stare at the back of her head and she tentatively reach up to tuck a nonexistent stray strand of hair behind her ear. It’s not like she was nervous, she just hated the thought of being under scrutiny.

The prime minister laughed boisterously, seemingly happy with her statement, and gestured for them to go outside as if to say ‘go on now, get to know yourself fast for the wedding to happen faster.’

Even if she didn’t mean it as that, she took it as a cue to leave and tugged on Sungjae’s sleeves so that they could talk.

.oOo.

She could feel his narrow gaze on her back, and though the suspicion irked her, she continued to hold her head high as she glided down the damp wooden hall. “You have questions.” She stated matter-of-factly, eyes grazing over the intricate wood that arched over their heads. Silently, she allowed the tips of her fingers to skim over it, careful for any splinter that may lodge itself under her skin. “I am neither after you, your wealth, money, fame or status if that was what you’re wondering. I couldn’t care less for all those earthly treasures. I simply wanted to explore the world you people live in.”

She could sense him shift as he closed the distance between them, but she trudged forward regardless, paying him no mind and setting the pace for both of them. She knew he had many questions swimming inside his head, and though she didn’t want to give out her identity just yet, she knew that the night time was when she shone and her essence as a celestial being made it so that she glowed the moment the sun left the sky. It wasn’t obvious indoors due to the lights but out there in the dark, her skin was luminous, as if she emanated light.

“What was that?” He pointedly ignored the words she spoke and hissed a question that blatantly showed his disbelief. She couldn’t blame him. She wouldn’t believe herself too. She was a peculiar stranger that came out of nowhere, and though she wore their clothes, ate their food and lived in their abode—she was different. Added by the fact with how she took all that was handed to her in stride may seem a bit too opportunistic of her. Of course anyone of the Yook’s status would wonder.

“Humans only hear what they wanted to hear.” She echoed the thoughts that danced in her mind earlier during the banquet, smirking at the annoyed huff he let past his lips. “It wouldn’t matter what we say. Your father was firm with his resolve of having you married.” She paused, eyeing him from the corners of her eyes, and smiled silently to herself when he also stopped. She didn’t know why she found his irritation amusing or why she quite like the thought of getting under his skin but she did and she relished in it. She liked how the muscles in his jaw tensed and how the tips of his ears were turning red from the bite of the cold.

She quite liked the way he was an open book, and though she couldn’t pinpoint the exact emotions that passed through his eyes, she liked how she could tell he was deeply immersed in his thoughts right now.

Were humans this easy to read or was he a special case?

She didn’t really know and that fascinated her.

Time didn’t still and the world continued to spin; but even if the air sparkled with tiny little stars as snow fell and gathered deftly on the ground—it felt like they were suspended in time. The silence was permeable but not uncomfortable and she continued to watch him think, wondering what scenarios and conclusions had crossed his mind. She was careful, of course, to not let the moonbeams hit her because her father was the moon and everything the moonlight touched, her father owned—and he will know what travesty she was doing, frolicking in the mortal realm when he had clearly warned them—her, most especially—not to.

“What exactly are you aiming for?” He asked, not even bothering to hide his suspicion nor the frown that easily made its way on his face.

She hummed, not quite sure how to answer that. She was taught not to lie, but it would be unfavorable to share the truth, “Nothing.” She finally answered, settling for a vague but truthful answer. Then she chanced him a glance, a slight twinkle in her eyes, “At least, it’s nothing you should worry about.”

“And what is that supposed to mean?” His frown deepened.

Staring at him, she realized that she needed to better explain herself. She in a breath, looking away to stare at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter