My Favorite Type

My Favorite Type

Red and blue makes green.

Red and yellow makes orange.

Red mixed with a clear solution is still red.

A drop of blood made into contact with the different colours in the different test tubes. After it was spun in a centrifuge, different reactions were formed into the tubes depending on what’s the patient’s blood type.

I shook the tubes.

The blue colour of the A antiserum was seen as a large red dot appeared on the bottom of the tube. It was a solid agglutinate on the first tube compared to the following tube. The B antiserum didn’t react with the blood as it retained the orange colour.

I looked at the third tube. The reaction was the same to the first one. The clear D antiserum reacted with the blood as it formed a solid agglutinate.

The patient’s blood type is “A” positive.

I wrote it on the result form and had it signed. I released it after and went back to doing the same procedure all over again with a different patient.

And I’ve been doing the same thing for more than three hours.

Alone.

 

I had a glimpse at the clock hanging on the wall. It was almost three in the morning and I decided to take a nap for a while, hoping I could sleep even though I still have blood samples to examine.

I closed my eyes.

But still I wasn’t able to sleep. Not even for a minute.

Especially when your other senses took over as you heard some footsteps behind and you’re aware that you’re alone.

And it’s three in the morning.

I opened my eyes and realized that the place became dark. The machines were all turned off and I couldn’t even move as I couldn’t see anything. Total darkness enveloped the whole laboratory.

I tried not to panic, telling myself that ghosts or other mythical creatures are just one’s imagination. I tried to think of happy thoughts but then a minute of total darkness became two. I noticed that it took longer for the electricity to be back as five minutes already passed.

And then suddenly, the light was back.

 

No one was there.

 

Everything was back just like how it was before. The machines were like how they were earlier, just restarting since it was turned off. When it fact it wouldn’t turn off due to the back-up power on each machines. I scanned the whole laboratory taking courage as I went at the back. And just then I noticed that something was odd.

I noticed the hazy glass door of the blood refrigerator. I walked towards it with my forehead creased as it was not like that ten minutes before. I opened it and was shook with what I discovered.

Some of the blood bags were missing.

And that’s when I came into panic as five A positive blood bags were gone. And I don’t have any idea who took it as I was very sure I did an inventory and the A positive blood bags were twenty.

I went at the back door and saw that it was locked – an impossibility for a person to get in. And the front door is closed too and I would’ve known if someone is about to come in through the front door.

What had happened brought a big problem to me as I don’t have any idea where the blood bags were. I couldn’t tell our section head that five blood bags were missing as they would say I’m careless; that I’m letting other people in while I sleep. No, I couldn’t do that. Nor I couldn’t say that the blood bags were missing as soon as the electricity was out during three in the morning. They would think of me as funny if I say something about ghosts stealing some blood bags.

I’m just ridiculing myself.

The thing is I let it slipped without telling it neither to our head nor to my other co-workers. I’m sure they wouldn’t notice as it was usually me who do the inventory. Sometimes they would work without even noticing that some of the boxes of gloves and masks are missing just because I stole it.

But for the blood bags, it’s a different story.

Who would steal a blood bag?


I went to work the next day. No one called, so no one noticed. I’m safe for the moment. I looked at the refrigerator and counted that there were fifteen A positive blood bags left. Five is too much to be stolen. It would be fine if it’s only one.

No, erase that. It’s actually a disaster if one is missing.

I went on with my work like what I usually do. I didn’t have any intention to sleep anymore due to what had happened the day before.

Unfortunately, as three o’clock strike, the same thing happened again.

The power was turned off for five minutes and discovered that one blood bag was stolen as soon as the electricity was back. A total of six blood bags were missing for straight two nights. And a blood bag missing more is already different. Especially when I’m too sure that no one entered in the laboratory as I was definitely sure I’m all alone that moment.


I decided to confront the thief that night – no matter what it is. As soon as it was a minute before three, I stood in front of the blood refrigerator hoping that I could catch the thief. As soon as the electric power cut off, my mind was hoping that it’s just a cat even though it’s impossible for it to be a cat. I stood for a minute and nothing happened.

I felt that I stood for five minutes or more and still the power is not yet back.

I’m sure someone’s playing with me.

Who-wh-wh-o who are you? I bravely asked.

Show yourself.

Beads of sweat started to form on my forehead as the place became hot. The power was off and so as the air condition. It became hot in an instant.

I still didn’t move despite that I was standing already too long and that I was already scared. Until I heard someone behind me chuckled.

It was a man.

Type A blood is my favorite. I could feel his breathing behind me as it sent goose bumps to my whole body.

I literally froze.  

I don’t know what to do for that moment. I wanted to cry or scream for help or run away but I couldn’t do such things.  I noticed his hand aimed for the refrigerator but then I happened to stop him from stealing again. I touched him.

And he is cold.

I turned around and finally saw who he is.

I could definitely say he is a human, but he's cold, way much colder of how a dead person would undergo algor mortis (cooling of the body). He stood six feet tall and his eyes were bloodshot red. He has a sharp jawline and he is white. He was wearing black making his skin paler.

I thought for a moment that I’m about to die.

He looked like a grim reaper coming to get me. I tried not to scream as if I’m seeing a ghost or a dead person or I don’t know what he is. Even though total darkness enveloped the place, I could clearly see him. He seemed to be illuminating.

Who are you? I don’t have any idea where I get the guts to ask. What are you?

He chuckled as soon as I asked.

Did he think it was funny when I felt that it was a life and death situation?

Are you asking who I am?  He stepped forward every time he spoke trapping me in between the refrigerator and him. We’re both the same. He continued.

I creased my forehead as I couldn’t understand what he meant. He was totally wrong that we’re both the same since I’m alive and he’s . . . dead.

We live in the world of blood. I live because of blood . . . that you happened to provide.

Now I want you to feed me.

Move away.

 

But I didn’t.

 

I took off my laboratory gown. And then I pulled down the sleeve of the scrub suit that I wore and angled my neck to show him my neckline.

You told me you that you like type A blood, right?

I took a gulp.

Then bite me.


 

The number of A-positive blood bags inside the blood refrigerator was back to its original count as soon as I went to work the next day. No stolen blood bags were reported and no electricity cut off during three in the morning occurred. Everything was back to its original place.

Like nothing happened.

Well, except for the marks on my neckline.

I smirked as I touched it.

Type A blood is surely Sehun’s favourite.

I was just hoping that he won’t turn me anaemic.