Final

Small Eternity

“I remember meeting you, god… I was so blown away by you. I remember you thought I was scared of you, Jimin-ah.” The man looks down at his papers, a wide smile across his face as he thinks back the day in college.

 

The freshmen all scrambling while the upperclassmen sat around. In the lecture hall, a bright tuft of orange hair ran in, swooping into the seat beside Taehyung. At first, he was scared, mostly startled by the swift motions. He looked, finding another male, no, an angel to his left. He had sweet round features, looking like a sculpted cherub seen in cathedral's in movies. Politely, the angel smiles, cheeks pushing his eyes into sweet little wrinkles.

 

“I'm sorry, ran late. I didn't mean to scare you.”

 

If Taehyung could have formed a conscious thought, he would have introduced himself. 'Kim Taehyung, hopeful Psychology major.’ or something to that effect. However he was too captivated, or he was too conflicted between listening to the first lecture of the year and staring at the beautiful male beside him.

 

“Yeah… I couldn't think correctly for days, I couldn't even figure out how to introduce myself without drooling. But apparently my drooling pulled you in, because you went to our professor and asked for my name off of the list, saying you had something to return to me. The only thing you had was a drawing of me you had done in class, I still have it, I swear it looks like a photograph. Its perfect.” He stops himself, having to break off and chuckle a bit. “And them you found me, and gave it to me.

 

'I’m Jimin… I kinda used you as a model for my art assignment without you knowing. Sorry. But I thought you'd like to have it.’

 

The words echo in his mind, making him laugh outright. “And then, when we started going out, we went to places like the park, or the wildlife center. You drew more pictures of me, of places we went, things I bought you…. You used it all for your art studies.”

 

Taehyung met Jimin at the local food stall, holding their first anniversary gift in his hands. It was beautifully wrapped, but he knew within it held held precious items Jimin had been searching the web for. He could imagine the look on his face when he opened it, finding the beautifully made dip pens, beautiful bottles of rich inks.

 

Jimin met him there, enjoying the simple date. He didn't care what they did, as long as they were together. “This fine dinner and a gift? Oh I'm one lucky man!” He giggles, pulling the decorative strings, soon to follow the almost matte black box lid. When he saw the items he'd wanted for so long, he just about screamed, throwing his arms around the other.

 

Taehyung thinks back to that Christmas, when they moved in together, and after a few month he knew he couldn't have asked the gods for anyone better than Jimin.

 

He truly thought the whole world of him. His best friend, his lover, and hopefully his fiancée. He remembers Jimin finding the velvet box that night, placed on his side’s night stand. Taehyung had sent him in, asking him for a flashlight he knew the other kept there. Jimin screamed again, but when he turned to run to Taehyung, he was already in the doorway, on his knees. When he saw him, he fell down to sit on his bottom and cried, looking at him and then the box.

 

After that, he sighs, fidgeting with his coat a bit as the wind blows. “And then after what felt like an eternity, we started planning our wedding. All of our friends helped with sending invites, helping get both of us to our mismatched fitting appointments, helping with photos and food. Our ceremony was so beautiful, you looked beautiful. You always did. But I----” Taehyung loses his cheerful manner, the real emotions starting to bubble up with tears. “I'm glad I got my small eternity with you. Our own forever. I could never love someone as much as I loved you. Even if it was a short time, in reality. Everything with you felt like the happiest life time when we were together. I just…. I just miss you, Jimin… I miss you so much. Six years felt like it's been a day since I lost you, but it also feels like the longest eternity.” With the confession, he sobs out, covering his face with his hands to quiet them. From behind him, another figure walks up, wrapping an arm around Taehyung's shoulder and cooing to him. “It's okay… Hyungs here to help, just tell Jimin what you wanted to.” The deep voice keeps quiet, helping soothe Taehyung's cries to soft snubs.

 

“I don't… I don't blame that man…. For what happened. I'm just sorry it was you instead of me, because I was going to go to the store but you went instead. But I'm also glad in a way. You didn't feel the pain, you didn't have to be taken to a hospital. You wouldn't have had to deal with the loss. You're just at peace. You even looked at peace when I got to see you. I'm sure you're watching me.”





 

And from far away, on an almost different plane of existence, Jimin's there. He feels his sorrow, kneeling beside his husband and his best friend Yoongi. He knows Yoongi's taken care of him on his absence, that apart from the pain, he's there for Taehyung. If he could kiss both of them, he would, but he can't so he tries to manipulate the air around him to blow in his old shampoo scent. Just to let him know he's not alone. That he's been heard.


“Taehyunggie, I love you.”