[ ..could still be ]

if you ask me if i believe in love

The town indeed seemed to lose its magic upon her departure. The river waters no longer glimmered that brilliantly, the sunlight was drained of warmth and the winds became harsh, causing the leaves to shiver. Woohyun began unconsciously picking up her traces in various parts of the town where they shared memories, and he couldn’t help but feel the void that she left. A void that wouldn’t have existed until she came. It was weak of him, he admitted, and useless, to cry now that she was gone - when he never made the feeblest of attempts to hold onto her.

 

The whole encounter was beginning to fade into a mere beautiful dream until he received two unexpected items a week later.

 

Whether it was out of hope or defeat, she’d left the entire camera roll from her time there and the tube containing her map on the benches at the train station she departed from. The staff there had found it and kept it in their archive where a part-timer acquaintance later recognized Woohyun in the photos and passed it to him.

His orbs glistened with warm tears as he scrolled through the photos she'd taken. He was always present in her eyes. In all the times that he didn't notice.

"I like capturing people when they're unaware. There's an inexplicable beauty to spontaneity."

Woohyun's heart clenched. He was the one who never noticed. He never heard the soft calling of her heart.

Opening the map revealed a post-it note, loosely attached. It fluttered in the wind and was almost blown away. Woohyun caught it within his palms, just in time.

“If you’re reading this, then I guess fate granted us another chance. I just wanted to say, thanks for everything. I’m leaving these photos with you because I won’t be able to look at them again, alone. If you don’t want this to be goodbye either… Find me.”

On the map, a red swirly dotted line connected Woohyun’s town to her next presumed destination.