Part 3

Through the Night (and into the Spring)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three days later, Luhan stood with the other courtiers and servants in the court yard, awaiting the rise of the portcullis, marking the start of the Crown Prince's journey to Ios along with his party. Luhan tightened the strap of the saddlebags around the rein of the Prince's horse, patting the bags as he finished and making sure everything was intact. Wiping the bullets of sweat collecting on his forehead, he looked up, seeing that the sky was clear and there was no sign of rain. If the weather continued until they reached the shores of Marches, it would be a calm and safe trip for them. He only wished...

He sighed, shaking the thoughts out of his mind as he heard footsteps approaching from behind. When he turned to acknowledge the person, he immediately lowered his gaze and bowed his head. “Your Highness,” he said.

“All set, Luhan?” Sehun asked, and Luhan felt him coming closer, reaching for the mane and patting its shoulder.

“Yes, Your Highness,” he repeated, trying to keep his voice from breaking as the emotions from three nights ago came back. He and Sehun had an agreement that whenever they were in public, they were to interact as a Prince and a servant, and no more than that. Luhan had to focus so he wouldn't stray from that agreement, though Sehun seemed to be the one breaking it at the moment.

“Luhan, I know you're still upset. Let me make it up to you once I'm back from Ios,” Sehun said, his voice low yet apologetic.

Luhan smiled wistfully, “I am not upset, Prince. I admit, I am a tad bit disappointed that I wouldn't be able to go with you, but I also know you did your best to convince the council to take me with you.”

“Still,” Sehun said, his shoulders sagging a little as he held onto his horse. “I was the one who offered it to you, and yet I couldn't even make Father agree with me. I really am sorry, Luhan.”

“Please stop apologizing, Your Highness. There is nothing to worry about, I assure you.”

“I promise we'll visit the lake once I came back. No,” the Prince said firmly. “I promise I will take you to Ios the next time I have to go there. I promise you, Luhan.”

The younger could only nod, and he tried his best to smile a little wider than before as Sehun mounted his horse. He knew the Prince meant what he said, but there were a lot of things to consider before he could make that promise come true. The day Sehun asked him to go with him to Akielos, Luhan was ecstatic. And yet, when the Prince came back from the meeting that night, his deep frown from before back on his face, Luhan knew. The council did not agree to the idea of the Crown Prince taking his own servant to the other country, especially when Sehun told them that because of this, he would not be accepting Prince Chanyeol's gift of slaves and servants. The council thought it was a ridiculous idea and an impolite gesture from the Prince of Vere, and the King his father agreed with them. And so, Sehun had to go back to his chambers where his friend waited, bursting Luhan's hopeful bubble as he informed him that he couldn't go to Ios.

He couldn't take Sehun's promises to heart this time, not if there was a chance that he will be disappointed again. He was more upset than he was letting on, but what could he do? He was, after all, just a servant. He didn't have the luxury to whine like a child just because he didn't get what he wanted. Even more so because this was the Prince of the country, and he was allowed to say whatever he wanted to, even to give false comfort.

“Have a safe journey, Your Highness.” Luhan bowed. He stepped backwards so Sehun could turn his horse around and go to the front of the lines.

Sehun didn't move. Instead, he called out to the younger, making him look up at the blonde hair and deep, reluctant, gray eyes. “We'll go to the lake the moment I return. Until then, wait for me, Luhan.”

“Yes, Prince.”

“Goodbye, Luhan.” And Sehun was off, his boot kicking the body of the horse and riding towards the front, raising one arm to signal the soldiers manning the towers. In a few seconds, the portcullis was rising, the trumpets sounded and the hooves echoed across the courtyard. Luhan watched as the horses and wagons carrying their supplies exited the high walls of the palace, until the portcullis descended once again and he couldn't see the party anymore. He closed his eyes for a few moments so as to erase the regret and disappointment he felt. He decided he would be taking up lots of chores to distract himself while his Prince was away. It would be a long month without Sehun.

Heaving out yet another sigh, he began walking back inside, dusting off his trousers and lilac jacket. Autumn this year was unusually cold, and he could only imagine how it would be in the winter. As he stepped into the hall overlooking the courtyard, he noticed the figure of a man in a long dress robe, whom Luhan recognized as a member of the council. He was startled when the man looked at him, his dark eyes dull yet piercing. He then lifted his hand and gestured for Luhan to come closer. Luhan hesitated, even turning his head back for an idiotic moment to check if there was another person behind him, before he timidly walked towards the man.

As he approached, Luhan regarded the man from under his lashes. He was certain this time that he was a member of the council, as he bore a medallion of one around his neck. The man had dark hair, matching his dark eyes and a creamy-white complexion. Luhan suddenly regretted not learning all of the council members' names and faces when Kyungsoo suggested he should.

“Sir,” he said, keeping his head low.

“Luhan, was it?” the man asked.

“Yes, sir.”

“I assume you know this already, but I am Councilor Junmyeon.”

“A pleasure, Councilor Junmyeon.”

“Luhan,” Councilor Junmyeon repeated, and this time it sounded more like a sneer. “It seems you are fairly close to the Prince.”

It was not a question. “I serve the Prince day in and day out, whenever he needs to be served.”

“Is that really all? Seeing you together in the courtyard earlier, one would assume there's more to your relationship than a master and a servant. Be honest, boy.”

“I –” Luhan stammered, and then said, “The Prince is very kind, and he treats me as though I am an equal, even though I know I'm not.”

“He is, indeed, that I sometimes wonder if he was truly a Veretian,” the man murmured, almost to himself. Then, his eyes were back on Luhan, and his smile was not at all kind. “Well, Luhan. Don't you think it is not appropriate for a servant to be as close to the Prince as you are?”

Luhan blinked up at him. He was not sure where this was going. “If my Prince wishes for me to be his friend, then I will be his friend.”

Councilor Junmyeon smirked. “Then what if he wished that you disappear, would you do that as well?”

Pressing his lips together, Luhan nodded. Of course, he would do as Sehun wished.

The smirk vanished, and then the man was chortling. “Such innocence. Such pureness. It would be a shame if a child like you is jaded as your stay lengthened here in the palace, don't you think?”

Luhan wanted to argue that he was not a child anymore, but the councilor was not done speaking.

“Shame, such shame. Tell me, Luhan. You are from Marches?”

“Yes, Councilor,” Luhan said. He was stunned the man knew.

“And you have family there?”

“My sisters.”

“Parents?”

Luhan swallowed. “They're dead.”

“I see. I have an offer that you might not want to refuse.”

“What is it?” Luhan asked, and then tucked in a quiet sir at the end.

Councilor Junmyeon had his hands folded behind his back as he said, “I'm going to provide you a better job back at your home, so you can be with your family.”

Luhan's breath hitched. Home?

Seeing the young servant's reaction, the councilor smiled. “My family owns a part of the minting business in Marches. I can give you a job in the factory there, with reasonable wage and benefits. You can live with your sisters without even having to work as fishermen like your parents in the sea. After all, Marches is Vere's minting capital. Wouldn't it be easier for you to stamp coins than serve in this castle?”

Living with his sisters? Staying in Marches? Being closer to the ocean? Those sounded wonderful. And he knew minting coins was easier said than done, but then again, he'd be home. He wouldn't have to worry about his sisters. He wouldn't have to worry about getting homesick. Indeed, the offer was tempting. But…

Something was not right. One look at this councilor's mocking smile and he knew that something was definitely not right. It was a gut feeling. And then he thought of Sehun. Who would be serving Sehun if he was gone? Surely, there would be replacement. But Sehun told him he was good at his work, and Luhan couldn't imagine anyone else attending Sehun every morning and every night. Sehun told him to wait for him, too...

“Councilor,” Luhan said. “Thank you for the generous offer, but I would first like to discuss this with the Prince, if that's all right with you.”

Councilor Junmyeon gazed at him for a moment, his eyes hard, and then the corners of his mouth lifted. “Of course, servant boy. Of course. I must go then. Unlike you, I have things to do.”

Luhan bowed as the councilor sauntered down the hall, only letting out a breath after the latter turned at a corner. He was curious as to why the man knew about his home, about his parents' job as fishermen. He was more curious as to why he would offer something like that to Luhan. Was he just being kind, or was there something more? There was certainly something off with the conversation, but Luhan couldn't figure it out. He was probably missing something, or just thinking too much.

 

 

 

Days dragged into weeks as Luhan waited for the Prince's return. Only once did he receive a letter bearing the Crown Prince's seal, brought to him by one of the royal messengers. It was with eager fingers that he tore the envelope open and read the contents with much enthusiasm, only to be in awe at Sehun's elegant script. Sehun wrote to Luhan two days after Prince Chanyeol's ball, and stated that the King of Akielos, Chanyeol's father, gave them permission to drink alcohol as they were now sixteen. He described how it tasted awful yet he still drunk a lot because the burning sensation in his throat felt so good whenever he chugged down a goblet of the amber liquid, and yet he regretted drinking too much as he acquired a massive headache the very next day. That was the reason he wrote to Luhan only two days after Chanyeol's birthday. He also wrote in an obvious angry scrawl that Princess Miyoung of Patras was invited and wished he could push her off the cliff of Ios as she was being terrible to everyone again and it made Luhan laugh out loud as he read on. At the end of the letter, Sehun reminded him that he will be back after a week and he couldn't wait to visit the lake with Luhan again, though he doubted they would be able to swim as it would be very cold by the time he got back to Arles. Luhan sighed as he folded the letter and slipped it back into its envelope once he was through with it, tucking it under his mattress for safekeeping.

One week. One more week and Sehun will be back. He looked out the window and spotted the bright moon, wishing the days would come fast, and the nights even faster.

 

 

 

On the day of Sehun's return in Arles, Luhan woke up before dawn, took a bath, ate a slice of bread and had fruits, before skipping towards the Prince's chambers.

He decided the night before that everything in that room had to be polished and cleaned, every sheet and pillow on the bed changed to fresher ones, every book back in its original place. He even prepared new curtains for the windows. It was as if he didn’t spend most of his time cleaning the room until it sparkled, every day for a month. He stayed in the chambers until noon, only leaving for a quick meal at lunch. He hummed to himself, cheerful albeit tired. After weeks of waiting for Sehun, he'd finally see him again. He wondered idly if Sehun got tan while he was in Ios, as Sehun mentioned in the letter that he and Prince Chanyeol mostly spend their time outside the palace.

It was afternoon when he heard the sounds of trumpets, signalling the Crown Prince's arrival. He quickly ran out of the room and into one of the hallway's large windows overlooking the courtyard, shading his eyes with his hand as he squinted into the bright sunlight. He saw the horses marching towards the palace halls first, and then the Starburst flags, and then at the very front, glinting in the sun, the unmistakably blonde hair of their Prince. Luhan's heart banged in his ribcage as he ran down the halls and the stairs. He lined up along the servants in the huge foyer, preparing to welcome the Prince and his entourage home. He didn't like how he was the last one in the line but he chastised himself that it didn't matter as he would still see Sehun anyway.

Luhan strained his ears to listen to the sound of portcullis rising outside, the hooves of the horses, and then a shout from one of the commanders, halting the small parade. The huge double doors of the palace opened and Luhan tried to stay in his position—hands folded in front of him, head bowed down and eyes on the floor—as Hestas greeted the Crown Prince of Vere.

“Welcome home, Your Highness,” said the old Keeper, and then it was followed by the same phrase chorused by all the servants including Luhan. Hestas continued, “We hope you had a safe and lovely journey.”

“I assume everything was fine while I was away?” the Prince asked, and Luhan shut his eyes tight so he wouldn't look up. He terribly missed Sehun's soothing voice.

“Yes, Your Highness. The King and Queen are waiting in the throne room. They wished for your presence before you dine for a late luncheon.”

The footsteps were getting closer to Luhan, but still he resisted the urge to look up. He almost did, though, when Sehun stopped right in front of him. As his eyes were on the floor, Luhan could only see the Prince's black, knee-high boots and his cream-white trousers. He heard Sehun hum in response to Hestas.

“I wish they'd let me change and freshen up first, but alas, the royalties await,” Sehun said, his voice low, quiet, as if he was only saying this for Luhan. The younger bit his inner cheek to prevent a grin. This was Sehun's way of whining. He was probably going to yammer some more once they were inside his chambers.

A moment passed and then Sehun walked away, heading to the throne room with Hestas in tow. There was probably some signal that Luhan missed, because the other servants dispersed, leaving him rooted to the spot before snapping back to his senses and running to the kitchen. As he walked, he passed by Jongin, who was holding a huge pot full of roses. He waved at him and smiled, but the other simply nodded before trudging off the hallways and into the nearest exit leading to the gardens. Luhan blinked, wondering what was up with his friend before entering the kitchens. He greeted Kyungsoo, who was applying finishing touches to the desserts that will be served in the luncheon of the royal family.

“Hello, Luhan,” said Kyungsoo as he tipped a mint leaf to the side, on top of a creamy pastry. “Are you serving in today's luncheon?”

“No,” Luhan said, hesitant. “I didn't receive any notice from Hestas so I don't think so.”

“But aren't you the Prince's personal servant?”

“Yes, but I was never really needed in luncheons like that. And the royal family seldom eat together, so Se—I mean the Prince asked me to serve food in his chambers most of the time.”

“Hm. You will be busy again, now that His Highness is back,” Kyungsoo said before walking to a different table, placing a chocolate shaving on top of yet another pastry.

“Yes,” Luhan simply said, this time allowing a smile to spread on his face. “I will go back to the Prince's chambers now, Kyungsoo. I will see you later.”

“Sure. Later, Luhan.”

Luhan wanted to hurry back to the chambers so he decided to take the shortest route he knew in the hallways, only to be stopped by a voice when he passed by the half-opened back door of the throne room. He pinned himself against the wall, his hand over his heart as he stared on the wall in tapestries of him.

“But father!” Sehun had shouted. Luhan was sure it was him—he could recognize the older's voice anywhere.

He lifted his other hand to cover his mouth as the King's voice came booming. “You will not back out from this, and that's final!”

“Father, please. I do not want to marry her. She's a terrible, terrible lady. I do not want to spend the rest of my life tied down to the likes of her.”

“You will endure it. For me, for your Queen, and for Vere.”

“Is the alliance more important than your son?” Sehun said, his voice raising once more, and Luhan feared for him. He should be fearing for his own life, as eavesdropping to private royal matters can be considered a crime but he was scared Sehun might do something drastic and get punished.

“I will not let you speak to me like this. You shall abide by my will, and follow me dutifully, as a Crown Prince should.”

“Father—” Sehun tried once more, his voice breaking. “I am begging you. Do not let me marry the Patran Princess. I could not stand being with her for a moment, what more if she were to become my wife?”

“This conversation is over. I do not need your company any longer.”

“My King. Father, I—” A pause. And then, “Mother, please.”

“Sehun!”

Silence. Luhan counted his heartbeat as he clutched the front of his jacket, his hand trembling. It seemed like forever before the King spoke once more.

“You will go back to your chambers. You will rest. And you will not think about backing down in this marriage. My decision, as well as the Patran King's decision, is final.”

“Grandfather would not be happy about this. If he was still alive, he would have—”

“But he is not, so he wouldn't have. Get out of my face. You are giving me a headache.”

Sehun's voice was ice-cold when he spoke, making Luhan shiver as he heard him say, “As you wish, Your Majesty, my Queen.”

It was after a few minutes, when he realized that there was no sound coming from the throne room any longer, that Luhan moved from the wall and half-ran, remembering that he should be inside Sehun's rooms before the Prince even got there. He ignored the guards as he pushed the door of the chambers open and entered, slamming it close in his haste.

The antechamber was empty, so he sauntered to the bedroom, catching his breath. And then, much to his surprise, he was knocked out of breath as Sehun, the person he had been waiting for for weeks now, locked him in a tight embrace. Luhan gasped, not knowing how to react. He was utterly surprised, and he couldn't think straight so he just stood there, hands on his sides, his chin digging into Sehun's shoulder. His head was spinning and he didn't know what to do so he stayed there, but flinched when Sehun breathed him in, the latter's face buried on the slope connecting his neck and shoulder.

And then, in a soft whisper, Sehun said, “It's been so long.”

Luhan let out a shiver.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter