Part 1

Through the Night (and into the Spring)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We may only have tonight

But till the morning sun you're mine, all mine

Play the music low and sway to the rhythm of love

- Plain White T’s, Rhythm of Love

 

 

It was a beautiful spring day when Luhan first arrived at the Royal Palace in Arles. He had just turned thirteen a few weeks ago, celebrating his birthday with his family and some friends from their humble neighborhood in Marches. The flowers were in full bloom, colors varied from pink to violet to bright yellow; the trees were so green, some reddish to orange and it filled Luhan's eyes with so much happiness because here was the reason he loved the spring season so much.

He couldn’t say the same about it, however, when several days after his birthday, his parents were involved in a tragic accident and his uncle had to take him some place far from his hometown and away from his sisters so that he could start working and support his siblings despite his very young age. It was only after reaching Barbin—the province separating his home and the country's capital—that his uncle told him they were to head to the palace where Luhan will be taking up a post as a servant. Frightened by this, Luhan tried to talk his way out of the situation, but his uncle convinced him that it was the only way Luhan would survive and be able to feed his sisters, unless he wanted to fish for a living – to which Luhan shuddered and shook his head, tears b in his big, brown eyes.

And so he started living in the palace, sleeping in the servants' quarters, sweeping the grass in the royal gardens and making sure that the banisters and window panes were dust-free. In the three months that Luhan stayed in the palace, he worked with a routine: wake up, have breakfast, sweep the gardens, wipe the first floor's windows and balustrades until they shone, have lunch, mop the marble floors of the huge foyer, dust the figurines and fill the vases with flowers, have dinner, wash up, sleep, repeat the next day. He wrote to his sisters sometimes, asking how they were doing and wishing them well. He'd slip the parchment in a yellowish envelope along with a few sols he earned from the job, albeit never receiving anything from them at all. But it did not matter, Meili was only ten and Sulei was six. They had the perfect excuse not to write back. He would send a prayer to whoever was up there to guide and protect his siblings while he was far away from them. He never once saw the faces of the royalties residing in the palace, however, only hearing of them through stories from the other friendly servants. There was the King and his Queen, and then there was their only son Sehun , the Crown Prince of Vere. The female servants would often squeal at the mention of the prince. They said he was very handsome despite his young age, his hair golden and his eyes gray. He rarely smiled, though, and he always had an impassive face, as if he would never be amused or pleased no matter what you did. He did not talk much either, keeping to himself most of the time. One female servant boasted that she received an order from the prince, and his voice was like music to one's ears, which was probably why he almost never talked.

Luhan was admittedly curious about this elusive prince. He remembered reading about the Empire of Akielos and Vere in an old library back in Marches that, before meeting his husband Damianos of Akielos, King of Akielos and Vere, Laurent of Vere and Acquitart, also the King of Akielos and Vere, was branded as a cast-iron . Luhan, at the age of ten, did not understand what the book meant by that, but as he read further, it was explained that the King had a cold demeanor, despite being immensely beautiful and alluring. He was mostly compared to a viper. No one had ever managed to thaw the ice prince, until the then Prince Damianos. An image of King Laurent was attached in the text, and Luhan remembered looking at a stunning young man, unsmiling and indifferent. The book described him as having piercing blue eyes and striking blonde hair. Luhan assumed Prince Sehun got his golden hair and the cold demeanor, from his great-grandfather, a direct descendant of the line.

Luhan wished he could see the infamous prince too. As a lowly servant though, he did not have the right to even look at him unless he was called to his royal chambers. There was a reason, after all, that the courtiers and servants used different paths when walking around the castle.

He was sweeping the garden grounds one day when old Hestas, keeper of the Crown Prince's households, walked in and called his name. Luhan immediately walked towards the old man, putting his rake down beside one of the stone chairs. He wiped his sweaty forehead and rubbed his hands on his pale gray trousers, making sure that his white shirt was properly laced.

"You called for me, sir?" Luhan asked in a small voice.

"Have you seen Jongin?"

"At the stables, he had said this morning that he will ride a horse with Kyungsoo. It was their rest day today."

"How long till they get back?" The old man asked, squinting up at the sun. It was almost noon, and the blue skies promised a clear day ahead.

"They did not say, but I doubt it will be soon. They like to soak in the lake," Luhan said, thinking if it was all right to say unnecessary information like that.

"I see. Come with me, then," Hestas started walking out of the gardens, leaving Luhan to follow behind him with his rake.

"Where to, sir?"

The old man turned, facing him. He had a grim look on his face that made Luhan shiver. "To the Prince's chambers. You are to serve him for the day," he said.

Luhan's eyes widened, his mouth agape. He couldn't believe his ears. He was being sent to the Prince? But why? He should not. He was only a servant. Why would a prince need a ratty, ten year old male?

As if to answer his mental questions, Hestas said, "The Prince wanted a playmate. Apparently, there is a game of cards he just learned, and it cannot be played by one person. Clean yourself and dress properly. The Prince is expecting you in half an hour."

Luhan could only nod, dazed at the command, yet also excited. He would finally get to see the Crown Prince. He would even be playing with him! Luhan ran to the servants' quarters, beaming with elation, already thinking of what he should wear.

**

He was going to meet the Prince. He was finally going to meet the Prince!

Luhan made it to his cot in the quarters, kneeling to get the box underneath and digging his hands into the clothes. He picked his most decent white shirt, the golden laces tangled with each other. He then grabbed a pair of beige trousers. Crinkling his nose, he studied the piece of clothing. This one didn’t have any holes in it, so it would do. Immediately, he stripped off his servant clothes, changing into the best clothes he had. He checked himself in the mirror, running his fingers through his dark, messy locks. There was no time to shower, so his hair would have to do too. Letting out a breath he was not aware he was holding, he walked as calmly as he could to the Prince’s chambers.

The rooms were located at the end of the wings far east of the castle. There were two guards in front of the huge double doors. He stopped, then, unsure of what to do.

“Are you the servant boy?” Asked the guard to his left.

Luhan nodded, and watched as the guard spoke out loud. “The servant boy is here, Your Highness.”

“Let him in,” came a muffled voice from inside.

The two guards then opened the doors for him and gestured for Luhan to get in. Luhan stepped in with nervous strides, his eyes immediately studying the rooms. He faintly heard the doors behind him closed, and he gripped the hem of his shirt. The rooms were not as heavily decorated as the other rooms in the palace. There were two swords hanging on the wooden panel at his left, between them was the starburst banner, the symbol of the Crown Prince. In front of him, a huge door with silk curtains was open, and he saw a balcony opening towards the east of the Great Northern Forest. There was a huge couch with lions' feet to his right, covered with blue and gold velvet and tumbles of soft pillows. It was just the antechamber, but the room was already as huge as the servants' quarters.

Luhan stepped forward, towards the arch that led to the Prince’s bedroom. He fixed his  gaze on the dark carpet, not daring to look up. He then went to his knee, his arm folded just by his stomach, head bowed to the lowest. In a small voice he said, “Your Highness,” and waited, risking a quick glance up.

The Prince was standing near his huge bed adorned in blue and gold silks and soft-looking pillows, his eyes intense and scrutinising. He looked regal and very much like how a prince should look like in his blue jacket and white trousers. Luhan gulped nervously before looking down.

“Rise,” said the Prince.

Luhan rose. His knees were shaking, and he was not sure if it was the Prince’s voice – rich and almost deep, something between a child and a boy on the cusp of manhood – or because he was alone in the Crown Prince’s room.

Luhan, without looking up, said, “Your Highness, it is an honor to be called upon.”

“Didn’t your parents teach you?” The Prince was walking towards him now, and Luhan stared at the black boots in front of him. “You should look into the eyes of the person you’re speaking to. It’s rude, otherwise.”

“I – I apologise,” Luhan said. He lifted his head, looking at the Prince’s face, all the while avoiding his eyes.

“Your name?”

“Luhan, Your Highness.”

“Very well, Luhan. Follow me.”

The Prince led him to a table full of fruits and sweetmeats, with a fat-bellied pitcher of water at the side. He sat at the head of the table and gestured to Luhan to take the seat to his right, before producing a rectangular tin from his trouser pocket. Luhan sat gingerly, looking to his side as he took in the appearance of his Prince. Blonde hair, perfect brows to match his perfect gray eyes, aquiline nose, and lush red lips. His skin looked so soft, marble white against his blue jacket . Luhan  watched him open the tin’s cover and produced another set of rectangular items. Was it paper? It was the first time Luhan had seen it, so he was not sure.

“I want to play a game,” the Prince said before asking, “are you familiar with playing cards?”

Luhan stared at the way the Prince's dainty fingers shuffled the papers on the table before answering. “No, Your Highness.”

The Prince sighed, and Luhan wondered if it was the right answer.

“That’s not a problem. I will teach you, so listen attentively.”

Luhan bobbed his head excitedly, despite feeling a little tense. He was playing with the Prince, after all. He lifted his gaze to look at him again, and he stifled a dreamy sigh. The Prince definitely fits his title, appearance wise. He'd make the ladies in their country swoon once he came of age, that's for certain. He must have been at least two years older than Luhan, if not more. He chastised himself. He should have known even this trivial detail about his Prince. He fidgeted on his seat as he watched the Prince shuffle what he assumed as the cards once more before handing one to Luhan, and taking one for himself. He dropped another card in front of Luhan once more, then himself. He did it at least a few more times, until the tenth card. He placed the deck of cards in the middle of the table. Picking up the pile of cards, Prince Sehun straightened them before shuffling again.

"The objective of the game is to have the most pairs of cards. First we have to pair the ones that we have right now, and drop it on the table." The prince pointed at Luhan's cards, and the younger immediately picked them up. He began dropping pair after pair of the cards, two hearts, two flowers, and another two with what seemed like swords, but crooked.

"We will each take a turn once we're done with the initial pairing. And then, we'll be picking up one card from the deck on each turn to find a pair. Is it clear so far?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

The Prince pursed his lips in a thin line, a slight dimple appearing on his left cheek as he did so. It was as if he was trying not to smile.

This made Luhan all the more flustered, but still he willed himself to look at the cards in his hands. There were two crooked swords, and two leaves. The rest were all mismatched, which made him frown a little.

"I'll go first," the Prince said, after Luhan had placed his pairs on the table. Prince Sehun picked up one card, studied the ones in his hands, before smiling and pulling one from the lot. Another pair of hearts. Gray eyes looked at Luhan. "Your turn."

Biting his lower lip down, he reached for a card, a clover, and to his sheer delight, saw a pair from the cards in his hands . He grinned triumphantly as he added the pair to the pile on the table. The Prince did his turn, and then Luhan again, this time without dropping anything on the table. It went on and on until only one card remained. Luhan still had six cards, and it was the Prince’s turn this time, and he had only three cards.  It was obvious that he was going to win, which explained the smug smirk playing across his lips.

“Ah. Good game,” the Prince said, dropping the last pair on the table before smiling at Luhan. “I won.”

“Congratulations, Your Highness.”

“Of course, there should be a prize for the winner.”

Luhan stilled. A prize? What could he possibly want? Luhan didn’t bring anything of his possessions when he was summoned to the Prince’s chambers. Luhan didn’t even own anything that would be valuable to the Prince.

“Or maybe,” Prince Sehun mused, “a punishment for the loser is more appropriate?”

“Uh…”

And then, to Luhan’s surprise, the Prince’s shoulders started shaking. He was laughing. Luhan stared.

It was a beautiful sight.

The Prince had his mouth covered by the back of his hand as he laughed, his gray irises disappearing as his eyes curved in crescent shapes, cheeks lightly flushed. He looked so young.

“I was only kidding,” the Prince said in between laughter. “You should have seen yourself.”

“I –”

“Are you frightened of me?” He asked, his eyes mirthful. Luhan nodded timidly, a blush of his own appearing on the apples of his cheeks.

“I don’t think you should be. I am very kind to my subjects,” he winked, and the light blush on Luhan’s face escalated quickly into a furious red.

“Yes, Y-your Highness.”

“Good,” the Prince said, still smiling. “If anything –”

There was a knock on the door, interrupting whatever he was about to say. Luhan began standing so that he could open the door for the visitor but the Prince waved him down, so he gingerly sat back on his chair as the Prince ordered the person to come in.

It was Hestas, the overseer of the Prince’s household.

“Your Highness, it is time for your next lesson.”

The Prince reclined on his chair with a deep sigh, and Luhan could almost see a pout on his lips. Almost.

“I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Of course, Your Highness.” Hestas bowed.

When he was out of the chambers, Prince Sehun gathered the cards and stacked them neatly at the side of the table before looking at Luhan.

“We should play again. Tomorrow.”

“As you wish, Your Highness.”

“And,” the playful smile was back, “we really ought to have a prize, or a punishment.”

“Y-yes, Your Highness.”

The Prince chuckled. “I will think of something, then. Or if you have anything in mind, let me know. Maybe your idea would turn out better.”

Luhan stood and bowed deeply, flushing once more. The Prince stood as well, and they both started towards the door. When Luhan was under the threshold, he bowed once more, thanking the Prince for requesting his company.

“It was an honor to, uh, play with you,” Luhan said.

“I will see you tomorrow. Same time,” the Prince said.

“Yes, Your Highness.

“Till then, Luhan.”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

With a final bow, Luhan turned to the hallway, and as he heard the door closing behind him, he couldn’t help the huge smile appearing on his lips. It was such an interesting afternoon for him, and he really enjoyed himself. The Prince was a great company despite their lack of conversation. But now that he thought about it, the silence was what made it nice and comfortable. He didn’t have to force himself to make small talk with royalty because he didn’t have to. Prince Sehun was fine with the silence as well. Luhan concluded that the Prince’s silence was misinterpreted as being aloof and cold to others. He proved that it was not the case, and he liked that about him.

He was already looking forward to tomorrow.

 

**

 

When Luhan was summoned the next day, he expected the prince to be waiting at the table. He was almost right as he entered the royal chambers. But instead of cards and sweetmeats, the table was full with books and papers, and inks and quills. The Prince was hunched over a document with a deep frown on his face. There was a tiny crease between his brows, and his tongue was out and lingering at the corner of his lips. When he saw Luhan, however, he straightened in his seat and the frustrated expression he had was replaced with a smooth, calm one as he greeted Luhan.

Luhan bowed. “Your Highness.”

“Luhan. I’m glad you’re here. I’m afraid, though, that we wouldn’t be able

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter