..don't let go of my hand

with you, always with you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hongseok was often praised for his observation skills— he was a keen spectator. Those barely noticeable details, those subtle changes; they never get pass him. So he was certain to an extent that no one else had detected anything besides himself— not even Jinho and Hwitaek.

It was almost coincidental, hardly palpable; but he saw it nonetheless.

They were having dinner at the other dorm; it had turned into a routine of theirs to do occasionally. But as soon as their second mini album was released, they’ve been busy to a point that they don’t have enough time anymore, their schedules became hectic. Luckily, a performance of theirs was cancelled at the last minute, allowing them to get a day off of work. Hyojong took it as an opportunity and demanded that they have dinner together and Hwitaek, being totally whipped for the main rapper, agreed.

All 10 guys miraculously managed to squeeze themselves on the living room floor— their dorm wasn’t deemed spacious and given their physiques, it was a struggle— infront laid the food Hongseok prepared, with Jinho’s help, of course. For Hongmom, taking care of the other members had never been a chore, it was more than just a responsibility; it was something he’d been doing freely, neither forced nor fake. Taking part in Mix and Match had its advantages; he had acquired the trait along the journey, being one of the oldest in the bunch. He was thankful that he’d been able to part with his old friends with something else other than the agonizing feeling of failure, disappointment and self-loathe when he was eliminated. But Hongseok was over it, he had moved on— everyone had.

So after prohibiting the leader and Hyojong to enter the kitchen as he and the eldest cooked— ‘cause everything would magically get caught into flames if those two were within the vicinity— and when everything was done, dinner was served. It was rowdy and loud, Hyojong hogged all the curry to himself much to Shinwon’s displeasure, the visual nagging for the lack of decorum. Luckily, Changgu managed to stop them before it escalated into an ugly wrestling session— not that it was anything serious though. Hongseok chuckled lowly at the display, he wasn’t going to complain, he liked it when the other kids were this noisy, it made him feel like as if he belonged, he felt at home with the others and the thought itself was reassuring. Taking another risk at achieving his dream was one of those decisions he knew he will never regret, especially coming to Cube. Seeing his band mates acting like a bunch of kids, laughing to their hearts’ content, he knew everything will be alright, that everything was worth it.

Across from where he sat, while the other boys were all equally distracted, he wasn’t certain if his eyes were playing tricks on him or it was a spur of the moment, but he saw them— Wooseok and Yuto, they were acting strange.

Hongseok was never a busy body— he disliked prying on others for he had a firm resolve that everyone should be honored with privacy and alike but the maknaes were very difficult to ignore. Wooseok was engaged in a conversation with Hyunggu who was to his right while the Japanese male was on his left. Yuto was silent, as usual; hadn’t said a word as he quietly consumed his meal, his metal chopsticks clank onto the ceramic bowl with every dip. It wasn’t a flash of movement that caught Hongseok’s eye, rather, it was the way the younger’s dark orbs flicker with something close to silent rage or melancholy, the way he bit his lower lip unconsciously as his peripheral vision caught sight of his best friend conversing with their main dancer. Otherwise, Hongseok might have just sat there, talked to Jinho for a bit and never suspected a thing.

It was unusual, the way Yuto was acting. He seemed displeased, his brows furrowed feebly, forehead snarled in tight knots, and it took a whole lot of Hongseok’s observation skills to decipher that it wasn’t just his usual deadpan demeanor, him brushing them off; but it was something different, something more serious. He seemed agitated that it was weird, like he didn’t want to be where he was. Hongseok found the whole scenario absurd, Yuto and Wooseok had been best friends ever since they first met the day the older of the two arrived at Korea. They were practically inseparable at some point; they were so close to each other it was ridiculous. So Hongseok had shrugged the thought off. It was impossible.

The latter was the mom of the group and loved everyone like they were his kids even though some were older than him but he had to admit, they were too much to handle sometimes—even Yuto. He was distant, unreadable and timid. Wooseok was the opposite; he was loud, funny and entirely obnoxious— everyone loved him. How those two became close regardless of their evident dissimilarities was beyond him.

It would be nice if Yuto was less self-conscious and more open to them though, Hongseok thought as the Japanese male laid his chopsticks down, he had finished his meal— he eats less nowadays. Honestly speaking, Hongseok felt worry wash over him just by watching. What is it with the Japanese rapper and why is he so guarded most of the time? The older was about to break the ice and talk to the younger, to ask him what was wrong, to help with whatever problems he might he facing but Wooseok was quick to catch Yuto’s attention before he could. The maknae turned to Yuto, said something in a hushed voice that no one other than them could hear, the maknae’s mouth just one breath away from his ear.

Wooseok was so near that the older swore he saw Yuto fidget a bit, his cheeks flushed slightly at the close proximity. Hongseok almost spat the drink he had been drinking when he saw Wooseok pulled back and then looked at Yuto with a lopsided grin tugging on his lips, his gaze heavy, eyes luminous, so loaded with emotions that even Hongseok couldn’t probably h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter