Chapter One: Love Sickness

Everyone is Hiding Something

[Amber’s POV]


The song ends, we strike our pose and keep it for a moment. And for that moment, we are invincible. The girls and I, we’re standing like statues, catching our breaths, hearing the roar of the fans. Feeling the blinding lights’ warmth in our faces. The energy that surges from the stage is unmeasurable.

Then the moment is over, we go backstage and the afterglow begins, our faces lit up, and then I look to my right. She’s almost always to my right. Krystal smiles and it feels like I’ve never left the stage, and I’m still in the warm lights that blind me. She hugs me, and her perfume invades my nostrils. She’s perfection in human form. I hold her tiny body within my arms and I feel complete. I feel whole. Then she leaves, pats me on the head and goes off to hug somebody else. I high five the rest of the girls.

I look over at the monitors, were they show our label mates, and friends SHINee performing. I keep my eyes on Key, he’s gotten so much better. He’s definitely a pro now. Better than me even. I feel someone to my right, and I know it’s her.

“It’s adorable how you can’t keep your eyes off him!” She says to me, as she pats me on the back. I think it’s adorable how clueless she is.
“Maybe one day, we can have a choreography as good as theirs.” I say as I start to imitate their dance moves. Krystal laughs, and pushes me away slightly. Sometimes I wonder if she feels the same electric shock when our skin touches. Even from the slightest bit of contact.  She probably doesn’t.

[Key POV]

I am beat after another wonderful performance. I got backstage quickly to greet my best friend, Amber and congratulate her on their amazing performance. I was being so quick, I accidentally stumbled into one of the Production Assistants for the show. And when I stay stumbled I mean more like crashed into each other, and somehow ended up on top of one another.

“I’m so, very sorry sir! I wasn’t looking and I...” He noticed I’d been starring down at him. Our faces five inches away from each other,  and overflowing with a sudden rush of blood that made us both blush. Though this probably was a centimeter of a second, it felt like an eternity. It felt like I’d seen the world, the past, the present, the future, everything in his eyes. But the moment was soon gone, when the rest of my bandmates caught up, and noticed I’d crashed into a PA.

“Key! Why are you so damn clumsy, get off the floor!” Onew said, I didn’t even look at him. I did notice however, a strange look come upon Taemin’s face. An arched eyebrow, sideways mouth pout, judgemental eyes... whatever this was, I could feel it wasn’t good. But before I knew it, I was up from the floor and so was the PA. Who wouldn’t even look at me.

“Again, sir, I’m so, so sorry.” He bowed. I awkwardly nodded and started walking away. The rest of the guys followed. Taemin’s eyes still on me. We reached the room where everyone was hanging out. I searched it for Amber, who was, as always to the left side of Krystal, drooling at her movement. I walked over to her and pulled her into a hug.

“You were great!” I told her, and she set herself free from my grasp.
“Well, you were better. And I don’t like admitting that so, I’ll never repeat it.” She smiled, and right after she smiled she took a quick glance over to Krystal. I rolled my eyes.
“You need a shrink, or more like a love doctor.” She laughed, her stare coming back to me.
“Speaks the man without a heart.” She said with an evil smile. I laughed a bit. “Seriously, when was the last time you even thought about finding someone?” About two minutes ago.

“Oh c’mon, you know we don’t have time for that.” I sighed instead. She crossed her arms and let out a hmph. I shrugged it off, and headed over to the doughnuts table. I grabbed one from the sugar free box. It didn’t taste like anything. So, I carefully spit it back into a napkin, and threw it away.

“Are you unsatisfied with the doughnuts, sir?” I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned to see the PA shyly in a corner behind me, he was bringing in more doughnuts.
“Yeah, a little bit bland to be honest. But these are sugar free, I can’t expect much.” I smiled at him, and then he smiled back.
“I promise to find a good tasting sugar free doughnuts for your next performance here.” He said, bring his right hand to his chest.
“There’s no need.” I said, and put my hand on his shoulder as I walked by.

I know to any passer by this must have seemed like the most ridiculous conversation in human history, but to me that conversation had been everything again. That PA had something about him that just... felt true. I looked over at Amber who was standing by Krystal again, looking at her like she was some kind of goddess who needed to be worshiped 24/7. Maybe this is what she feels like. Maybe this type of adoration is what she’s come to feel for Krystal. If it is anything like that... I’ve got to make it stop. Before it gets out of hand.


[Yuri’s POV]


I heard a familiar ding, and a voice that informs us that we’re finally landing in Seoul. I’d been dreaming of a sweet kiss, and this ding was a ticket back to reality. One ride, I didn’t want to get on. I sighed as I opened my eyes, and saw Sunny next to me all cuddled up with her blanket and drooling. To my other side, Soo Young was wide awake and browsing trough a fashion magazine.

“I’m so jealous.” I heard Soo Young say, not parting her eyes from the magazine. “What?” I asked as I stretched my arms forward.
“You looked like you were having a nice dream. You were smiling, and giggling even, in fact I think at one point you even puckered your lips as if you were about to kiss someone.” I sat back, eyes wide with shock, what if I’d said her name out loud? “I’m jealous. I couldn’t even get three seconds of sleep.” She said, and sighed as she finally set the magazine down.

After we landed, I quickly checked my phone. No calls, no texts, except from my parents. I sighed. I was hoping to hear from her by now, she promised to call. Soo Young walked by behind me, sunglasses on, coffee in hand, purse in her elbow and a fashion magazine in her other hand.
“You need to stop checking you phone so much.” She said, and walked away. I had a theory that Soo Young was a perfect friend to have in situations like mine. I could sense she knew what I was going trough, and had no problem with it whatsoever, but at the same time she kept her distance and didn’t pester me with stupid questions or none sense. She always went straight to the point, never made eye contact, but always smiled. I always thanked god that I had her around. She seemed like the only one who noticed anything. That or I was really good at hiding my feelings from the rest of the girls.

As we were pulling up to the dorm and the girls were trying to decide were to go for dinner, I got the call. I picked up almost immediately.
“Amber!” I said happily.
“Yuri! Hey, I’m glad you’re back safe.” She said from her end of the line, and my heart jumped a little. “How was... err... Thailand?” She asked and I laughed.
“I was in the Philipines, and they were fine. I got you something, a little present, it’s nothing special, but--”
“Really? That’s cool, but look I gotta go, the girls and I are heading out to dinner and I’m kinda running behind, but I’ll call you tomorrow.”
“Promise?” I asked like a stupid little kid would.
“Yeah, anyways bye!” She said, and hung up. I sighed heavily. And clasped my phone between my hands as I closed my eyes.

WAIT! She said they were going out to dinner... so are my girls! When I realized this, my eyes shot open and I started running up the stairs.

“Jessica!! How would you like to decide were we eat tonight?” I yelled out. She seemed shocked, nobody ever let her pick, since she’s a really picky eater sometimes and ruins the rest of the girl’s appetite with her indecisiveness. Hyo Yeon looked at me with a murderous stare.
“Are you sure you want Jessica to decide?” She said trough her teeth.
“Yeah! Let’s give her a chance guys.” I said to the rest of the girls, and then I yanked Jessica into a corner.
“You should ask your sister or something, so we don’t end up like last time. You guys have similar tastes right?” Jessica nodded and searched her pocket for her phone. “You ask her, while I calm down Hyo Yeon, kay?” I said with a smile, and then I went over to Hyo Yeon who was already a little red. When she’s hungry, she’s an entirely different person.

“We’re going to eat pasta!” Jessica said with a smile. “And we’re also going to meet with my sister and the rest of her band mates, as well as the guys from Shinee.” Hyo Yeon calmed down, since she has a crush on Minho.
“I can’t believe you almost kissed Minho, Yuri. You lucky girl. But anyways, thanks for letting Jessica pick tonight.” Hyo Yeon is also different when it comes to a guy she likes.

Soo Young walked by me quickly, “this isn’t going to end well.” She whispered as she leaned in. She was probably right, but I really wanted to see Amber tonight. I really want to see Amber every night, and every day while we’re at it. Whenever she’s around, everything feels so much lighter and easier, like I can finally be myself and not some overly cute, or overly stoic version the producers want me to portray. I can be the y, confident, independent person I was when I first met her. I finally got to do something I really wanted to do, dance and sing a hip hop number by one of my favorite artist Ciara, whom I’ve had a crush on since I first saw her. Amber reminds me of her, maybe that’s another reason why I like her so much. Oh god, I like Amber a lot. Maybe too much.