final: byul yi and yongsun

new years' kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New Years Eve had always been Moon Byul Yi’s favourite day of the year for four reasons.

 

Firstly, the parties that her parents would throw. Byul Yi always invited her friends, Whee In and Hyejin, over to their extravagant New Years Eve party. She had known the two girls for the most part of her life. Although they were only six years old, Whee In already had the most angelic voice that Byul Yi had ever heard. Hyejin, on the other hand, had the most wicked sense of humour. She would often mimic the way the adults would clean the house in a hilarious fashion that left everyone tearing from laughter. Byul Yi loved the warmth that friendship brought to her.

 

Secondly, New Years Eve was the only day in the year when Byul Yi was allowed to drink questionable amounts of soda and eat lots of her favourite desserts. On any other occasion, her parents would have already frowned at her from across the table for taking a third helping of the chocolate cake. It thrilled Byul Yi to be able to drink cup after cup of fruit punch with a devilish grin plastered across her face as her mom watched from the other end of the table. Byul Yi loved the feeling of eating till she could barely walk. It was a glorious feeling.

 

Thirdly, Byul Yi loved the fireworks. Once the countdown finished and the clock struck twelve, Byul Yi would run to the window as fast as her feet would carry her. They would bloom in the night sky, a million glowing flowers with petals that would fall to the ground like leaves in the autumn. A brilliant burst of reds, greens, yellows, pinks, purples, blues. They lit up the sky and fizzled brightly as Byul Yi watched, completely in awe. Byul Yi believed that every firework resembled a person. They drew their own individual pattern in the sky, something that was unique and breathtaking at the same time, never to be repeated again, no matter how many years may past and how many fireworks may be ignited. Byul Yi loved the beauty of the fireworks.

 

Lastly, Byul Yi adored the New Years Day visit that she would pay to her neighbours after the clock struck twelve. Every year, she would be asked to bring a platter of desserts over to her neighbours’ house. Slices of chocolate cake, pretty little fruit tarts and tiny cups of mousse lined a dainty tray. She rang the doorbell of her neighbours’ house. The familiar tune of “London Bridge is Falling Down” played as she tapped her foot impatiently. Finally, a familiar face peeked out from behind the door.

 

A certain Kim Yong Sun had been Byul Yi’s neighbour for the past 2 years. She had long hair which was tied up in two bunches and the cutest dimples which formed at the corners of when she smiled. She was dressed in a dainty pale pink dress and she looked beautiful even then, in Byul Yi’s eyes.

 

A smile crept onto Yongsun’s face as she soon as she saw Byul Yi standing outside her door, platter in hand. “Hey Yongsun unnie! Happy new year!” Byul Yi grinned as she struggled to wave while holding the platter in one hand. Yongsun engulfed Byul Yi in a hug. “Happy new year, Byul.” She whispered back. Byul Yi pulled back suddenly, a mix of shock and embarrassment welling up inside her. She put the platter on the ground and ran back towards her house, giggling all the way back, her light-up sneakers glowing up with every stomp of her feet as they pounded against the street.

 

And so it was, on every single New Years Eve. Byul Yi would arrive at Yongsun’s house bearing desserts.

 

Years passed and with every passing year, the two girls grew closer. Yongsun began to invite Byul Yi into her house to have some desserts or a drink before giving her a hug which would often send the younger girl fleeing back to the safety of her house.

 

Byul Yi would never admit it but Yongsun had grown prettier with every year of awkward hugs and dessert deliveries. She had become slimmer and her face had changed since their first encounter all those years back. Recently, Yongsun had become embarrassed of her name, and had asked Byul Yi to call her ‘Solar’ instead. Byul Yi was displeased. “But your name is pretty already.” Byul Yi had responded. A blush had spread to Yongsun’s cheeks in no time, causing her cheeks to be tinted with a pinkish glow. And so, Yongsun remained Yongsun to Byul Yi.

 

Byul Yi felt shameful to admire her neighbour in this way. Her eyes lingered too long on Yongsun’s body and she felt warm inside whenever Yongsun hugged her or kissed her cheek. In fact, some days she had to resist the urge to wrap her arms around Yongsun’s waist. Byul Yi hated it.



 

Now, this year was different. Yongsun had come to Byul Yi’s house instead. Furthermore, it wasn’t even New Years Eve yet.

 

“Byul, do you want to come over to celebrate New Years Eve with me instead?” Yongsun’s hands twisted uncomfortably in her pockets as her face di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter