The Swordsman

Fate

         In the kitchen Sora sipped at a glass of orange juice in hopes of regaining some strength. Her Vassal looked around the house like a lost puppy, though the hardened expression on his face painted a different picture. 

         “Do you live here alone? I thought all Others lived in clusters,” he said brushing his fingers against the flowers on the table. 

         “Yes, my grandfather has been away on business. He’ll be pleased to see you when he gets back,” she explained. “Before anything else, I should ask your name.” He looked back up at her. 

         “My name is Sehun of the Archer class,” he eyed her small figure with light disdain. “I didn't think my master would be so...small.” Weak was the word he wanted to use, Sora knew that. She smiled. From that statement alone she knew he underestimated her, something she knew all too well. 

         “We’ll have more time for introductions tomorrow.” Sora set the empty glass into the sink and brushed past him before pausing. “Good night Archer.” 

 

~

 

         I see you've finally awoken? Sora’s eyes snapped open. Sehun's voice was in her head. She had forgotten that Vassals had the ability to dematerialize. Somehow she knew Sehun was on the roof of the house. The command seals now kept him in her radar. Turning her head, the clock flashed 6:13 at her. 

         “It's 6 am, what do you mean finally?” The seals tingled against her skin when he spoke, she rubbed them absent mindedly. It almost tickled. Buzzing and pulsing with his every word. The seal was one circle inside another one and an arrow pointing in both directions, plunging through them both. 

         I thought it was later than that. The surprise was obvious in his tone. Sora went to get dressed, her night shirt hanging off of her shoulder. I can't say I've ever been in this region before. 

        “Do you remember your past life?” she asked. Sehun thought for a moment. His eyes narrowed as memories flooded back to him. Memories and feelings that were clear as day. He shook his head.

         Not well, but well enough. Sora nodded and went to lift her shirt over her head before stopping. It would be strange to shower with his voice in her head. 

         “I’ll see you in an hour,” she said. Not a moment later she felt his presence fade into the back of her mind. She was alone now. After stripping herself of her clothes she stepped into the steaming shower. The heat of the water hitting her back and shoulder brought some comfort. Summoning a vassal had taken a lot out of her. It would take a day or so until her mana replenished itself. Until then she would’t be performing any big spells or enchantments. 

         Sehun was examining the trinkets on the bookshelf when Sora came downstairs. 

         “Took you long enough,” he muttered once seeing her. Sora cocked an eyebrow at his words but moved past the comment quickly. There wasn't time to argue with him. “So what's the plan for today? Are we going to hunt down another Vassal and their Master?” Sora picked up her school bag that had been sitting on the sofa. 

         “Nope, I'm going to school,” she stated and turned towards the front door, her hair swishing behind her. Sehun scoffed before realizing she was serious.

         “Wait, what?” Sehun called after her. When she didn't turn around, he sighed and ran after her.           

         “Isn't this a little idiotic?” he hissed from behind her. The streets were still quiet at this time and only a few older residents lingered outside. Sehun stayed close in step and kept a sharp eye out for danger. “The war has begun and you're going to school? Do you not understand the situation here?” 

         “There aren't any Others here besides me. The only ones I know of live in the next town and they're quite harmless. And even if someone does plan an attack-” Sora turned around to face him. Sehun stopped mid step, stunned by their sudden proximity. “-I have you with me don't I? Surely I can trust you as my Vassal to protect me, right?” 

         Sehun closed his eyes in annoyance and sighed. She must've been insane. Images of all the possible outcomes from her decisions ran through his head. More than half ended up with her dead. When he opened his eyes again she was still staring up at him in expectancy. 

         “Fine,” he muttered and looked around before disappearing. I hope you know I’m against this. Sora began walking again, satisfied. 

         “You've made that very clear. If it gets to that point, I'll even accept an “I told you so” from you,” she said happily. Even in spirit form she could sense his sulkiness in the atmosphere around her. But it only made her more amused. 

     

~

 

         “Sora!” Kyungsoo called from down the hall. People in between the two turned to stare at the now blushing boy. Meekly, he waved at her. Who's that? Sora waved back and he ran to catch up with her. 

         “Hey Kyungsoo,” she said amused at the situation. Although some people were still whispering about him, her smile erased all thoughts of others and brought on a new nervousness. He scratched the back of his neck as they walked along the lockers. “Is your arm feeling any better?” 

         “Yeah! Thanks for asking. Are you going to the soccer game tonight? It's gonna be the last one for the season,” he said. They stopped at her locked and Sora proceeded to switch out her books. 

         “I'm afraid I can't, I have some personal things going on,” she said and shut her locker door. He perked up at the sight of the markings on her hand.

         “What's that? Did you get a tattoo?” he asked. Shouldn’t have gone to scho-ol he taunted. Sora quickly moved her hand under her arm and mentally glared at Sehun.

         “No it's temporary, I just thought I'd uh, try something new.” 

         “Oh! That's cool, I've always wanted a tattoo,” he said. 

         “Maybe after highschool you could get one, I'm sure they're less strict about it in college.” He shrugged. Kyungsoo had never even thought about tattoos in his life. 

 

~

      

         This is extremely boring. You have to do this everyday? Sora fought the urge to roll her eyes and picked up her pencil to scribble a message onto a sticky note. 

     If it's so boring then go back to the

house. I can take care of myself. 

         There was a moment to hesitancy before he spoke up again. Alright. But I'll check in soon. Then his presence faded away. 


The red rain ceased. The seven were chosen by now. Sora sat on the window sill of her room, feet dangling out the edge. A bitter wind swept by to ruffle to her hair. Soon the battles would begin. 

         “Did you sense it?” Sehun materialized behind her. 

         “How could I not? They made it so obvious,” Sora said recalling the moment when it had been activated. A barrier had gone up around the town marking the first move. She had felt it run through her like a hammer and binding her to solidity. Any Other would have felt it but humans lacked the senses they had. “Who ever did this is either really stupid or really brave. Either way, they better be prepared.” No one threatened innocent people, not on her watch. 

         “What's our next step?” Sora hopped back into the room to face Sehun, a sly smile on her lips. 

         “We take it down.” 

 

         The two stood at the edge of town, in front of a symbol that had been planted roughly into the old brick wall. Sora recognized it and what it was meant to do. 

         “Is that...is that what I think it is?” he asked in disbelief. Sora nodded gravely. When activated it stole the mana of everyone and thing within it, effectively killing them. 

         “Whoever put it here doesn't care about casualties,” Sora said while deep in her thoughts. The Master must not have lived in town. Must've not had any connections here to keep him from preparing the merciless spell. It was a powerful binding, capable of taking out entire cities. Perhaps this town had only been a fail safe in case of defeat. Or perhaps there were other towns that had been bound like his one, mere sources of power that was disposable. No matter the reason, it was wrong. 

         Before she could take it down another Servant appeared. On instinct Sehun drew out his sword and faced the dark woods. 

         “Someone's here,” he said. Sora eyed the trees and what they may have hidden.The forest went on for miles before they reached the city up north. Any other towns were in a different direction. Somewhere from the leaves a laugh rang out seeming to echo from every which way. 

         “How cute,” the Vassal purred. Their eyes shot up to the source of the wicked sound. A boy rested on the lamp post high above the wall watching them with laughing eyes. “A Vassal and his Master roaming around trying to save a sorry little town.” He laughed a laugh void of amusement, every bit of it filled with bitterness. A chill ran up Sora's spine, as she wondered what he had been through to obtain such a laugh. 

         “And you are?” she asked. He kept down from the post, landing silently in the shadow of the wall. Twin swords stuck out from behind his shoulders as he stepped into the light. 

         “I'm afraid that information is disclosed. My master didn't want me sharing that freely,” he said. Sora’s eyes roamed over his expression and his movements, looking for some sign of emotion in his empty cat like smile. She found none. Instead of being afraid, she felt sympathy for she had once been the same way he was. She remembered the feeling of cold cold emptiness gripping her very own heart. The way it demolished anything in its path, digging a hole inside of her that took years to climb out of. Oh how she remembered. 

         “Then fight and die or run like a coward,” Sehun said simply. His smile widened as he drew his swords. 

         “Gladly.” Before she could blink their swords had clashed, the friction between blades sending sparks flying into the night. 

 

~

 

         Sora quickly turned to the symbol on the wall. Whether or not the Vassal was part of the duo who put it here she needed to take it down while he was distracted. From the near background she could hear their swords colliding and the blows taken. Sehun wasn't a swordsman, but the Servant here obviously was. He wouldn't be able to hold him back for long. 

     

~

 

         The Vassal dodged his attacks swiftly, almost effortlessly. Sehun knew he was at a disadvantage here as he was not a swordsman. But his opponent clearly was. 

         “Well well well, you're doing quite well for an archer,” he said with a bemused smile as Sehun blocked his blow. His expression must've given away his shock because his question was being answered before he could ask it. The Vassal scoffed and bent over backwards as Sehun lunged forwards to slice his carotid. He bounced back quickly with another maneuver. “Obviously you aren't a master at sword fighting or close range fighting at that. But you're good enough that tells me you're quick under pressure.” Another cut appeared on his arm. He was holding back Sehun realized. 

         “Holding back on me? Or are you scared?” Sehun countered. He laughed. 

         “Boy, you have no idea who you’re dealing with,” he said and charged. With a sudden burst of energy he deflected his blow and managed to land a blow on his thigh. When they faced each other again, the surprise on both their faces were evident. Then he smiled once more. “I suppose I underestimated you.” He paused, seeming to be elsewhere for a moment before speaking again. “My master doesn't want me to kill you…yet. It’s a shame, truly. I suppose this is our goodbye.” With that he disappeared, his cat like smile lingering in the night.

         Sehun sheathed his sword and turned to see Sora, standing calmly under the broken seal. She seemed to be pleased. 

         “I underestimated you,” she started. “I didn't think you would be able to wield another weapon so well.” He huffed. Where had she been while he held off the attacker? Watching as he struggled? Perhaps he was right, she was a coward who simply had the luck of the draw. And here he was giving her the benefit of the doubt. Before he could dematerialize she spoke. 

         “I'll prove you wrong Sehun, I may not want any part in this war but I'll make you regret what you think of me. That's a promise,” she said. He stared at her in shock. Had he been so transparent she was able to read his thoughts? Although her words were strong she spoke them softly, almost happily. As if she were glad he thought so low of her. With her hands laced behind her back and a small smile on her lips she turned around to head back home.