(iv): krisyeol

12 Days of eXoMAS

Yifan awoke to a start, the usual warmth which greeted him in the mornings not beside him. Initially, he panicked. He sat up, looking around. There was no delicious smell in the house to indicate his husband was attempting to surprise him with breakfast. Worst-case scenario, he had packed up and left. He reached over to pick up his cellphone to attempt to contact his husband. Yifan knew he was overreacting, but he needed to reassure himself that everything was alright. The last time he woke up to an absence in the bed, his s/o had been in the bathroom, having a panic attack. He picked his phone up from the nightstand, only to be startled by a loud noise from outside.

"What the hell-" he began, turning around to look out the window. There was a large ladder leaning against the window, and Yifan could see the moving body of his husband on the ladder, occupying himself with something on the roof. Of course, he thought, Thanksgiving is over. 

Now reassured, Yifan resumed to get out of bed and continue his morning routine. After brushing his teeth and getting changed into something more appropriate for the day (sweatpants and a tee), he grabbed a cup of coffee from the kitchen, throwing on his robe and heading outside.

Outside, he watched his husband with a raised eyebrow, fumbling with Christmas lights as he not-so-gracefully draped them onto the roof.  

"Chanyeol?" Yifan called, an amused smile on his face, "What are you doing?" 

"I'm getting the Christmas decorations started," Yifan's husband, Chanyeol, called back, "There's not that much time left until Christmas!"

Yifan shook his head as he replied, "There's more three weeks left until Christmas. That's plenty of time." He pointed out. In response to this, Chanyeol shook his head vigorously, denying Yifan's statement.

"There is actually twenty-eight days, eight hours, forty-eight minutes, and fifty-eight seconds... fifty-seven, now, fifty six..." To this, Yifan laughed.

"Why do I put up with this every year?" He questioned, trying his best to sound exasperated. However, Chanyeol caught the loving tone in the other's voice, and simply joked back,

"It's because I bake delicious Christmas cookies." He said, a large grin on his face. Yifan sighed.

"You're right." 

"Now," Chanyeol began, "Are you going to help me, or are you going to stand there and admire me?" 

"Yeah, of course. Let me just finish this coffee." Yifan replied, lifting his mug a little higher just in case Chanyeol didn't notice it initially. Chanyeol simply nodded in response, before going back to paying intense attention to the Christmas lights.

---


"I'm so glad!" Chanyeol exclaimed as he ran inside the house, immediately heading towards the kitchen. Yifan laughed as he followed with a much slower pace. He stopped at the entry of the kitchen, leaning on the wall.

"Why?" He questioned, though he had a strong feeling he already knew the reason why.

"Since you helped, we finished way earlier than expected, which means I can bake the Christmas cookies today!" Chanyeol enthused, jumping around the kitchen happily as he pulled out the items neccessary to bake. Yifan watched as he pulled out the baking tray, the cookie cutters, the bowls, the spoons... Chanyeol certainly loved to bake. Yifan reached out to try to stop him, cocking his head to the side as he asked,

"Shouldn't we eat some breakfast first?" Chanyeol hummed, acting as if he was really pondering the question. He then began to speak, a teasing smile growing on his face.

"Well..." He started, dragging out his voice like how he did whenever he was about to ask for something, "Since you won't be of any help to me here, how about you go buy us some pizza?" 

"Pizza?" Yifan asked, baffled, "For breakfast?" 

"It's almost noon." Chanyeol pointed out, pulling out his phone to show Yifan the time. Yifan rolled his eyes, but found himself agreeing nonetheless. Chanyeol was right- he wouldn't be of any help with the cookies. Anything that involved cooking (baking, he corrected, because Chanyeol always bothered him so he would remember the difference), things got burned. Messes were created. Chaos followed. 

"What do you want on it?" Yifan questioned as he grabbed the car keys off the kitchen island, where they usually were left. Chanyeol shrugged as he turned away from his husband, turning to the fridge to begin searching for ingredients. 

"Surprise me." Chanyeol replied, then, added absentmindedly, "I'm doing sugar cookies this year." Yifan nodded, coming back around the kitchen island to get closer to his husband, wrapping an arm around Chanyeol and turning him around. He then gave him a quick peck on the lips, to which Chanyeol giggled.

"Sounds good." Yifan said, heading towards the front door, "I'll be back soon." 

"Can't wait!" Chanyeol called back, watching as Yifan left the house.

---

Yifan simply decided to get pepperoni. (Over the years, he had learned pepperoni was the safe choice.) He arrived at the pizzeria within ten minutes, parking in the (very empty) lot in front of the store. He pushed open the door, the familiar bell jingling as he entered the store. He heard a familiar voice call to him as he approached the cash register, ready to order.

"Welcome to--" The voice called, then cutting off as Yifan came into view, "Oh, hey Yifan!" 

"Hey, Kyungsoo." Yifan responded. He looked around the (very empty) store and commented, "I see business is great." To this, Kyungsoo laughed.

"Not everybody is a pizza fiend who decides breakfast is the best time for their cravings." Kyungsoo said. Yifan chuckled, shaking his head.

"This time, it was Chanyeol's idea. He's going crazy because Christmas is 'finally near.'" 

"Ah, yes. Park Chanyeol, the Christmas fiend. How do you deal with him?" Kyungsoo asked.

"He bakes me cookies." Yifan responded. Kyungsoo nodded, as if this was an acceptable response. 

"Understandable. I heard he bakes extremely well." He commented. 

"He does. His cookies are blessings." Yifan responded. Kyungsoo let out a noise of mock-jealousy.

"I need to get my hands on some, then." He said. To this, Yifan laughed.

"Sure, I'll bring you some." Kyungsoo brightened.

"Promise?" 

"Promise... If you give me a discount on the pizza I'm about to order." Yifan said, laughing when Kyungsoo's face dropped at the catch. He then sighed.

"What has to be done..." He commented, before continuing, "Deal." Yifan cheered.

"Great! I'll take a large pepperoni." He said, "Please." He then added as an afterthought. 

"One large pepperoni, coming up." Kyungsoo announced. "That'll be twenty minutes. Can you wait?" 

"Is that a question? I can always wait, if it's for pizza." Yifan replied. Kyungsoo laughed as he headed towards the kitchen, shouting, "You're an addict, Yifan!" 

"I know I am!" Yifan called back. He then sat down on the store's chairs as he waited for the pizza to be finished.

---

Yifan was back at the house within an hour. As soon as he opened the door, the mouth-watering scent of baked-cookies greeted him. He took a large whiff of the scent, quickly locking the door behind him as he followed the scent all the way to the kitchen.

"I'm back, babe." He announced, placing the pizza on the kitchen island, and the car keys right next to it. 

"I see." Chanyeol replied, "The cookies are done!" 

"I can't wait to eat them." Yifan said, watching as Chanyeol opened the pizza box to inspect what he had got.

"Pepperoni. Good choice." Chanyeol commented, eagerly taking out a slice for himself.

"It's the safe choice." Yifan replied, following suit. Chanyeol laughed at this, agreeing. 

"Oh, I told Kyungsoo he could have some of our cookies." In response to this, Chanyeol gasped, dramatically grasping at his chest.

"You did what?! How could you? He'll try to figure out my secret recipe!" Yifan laughed at Chanyeol's response, and joked,

"Don't worry, Mr. Krabs, I'm sure Plankton won't get the secret formula this time." Chanyeol gave a whole-hearted laugh at this, even taking time to wipe tears from his eyes. That weren't even there.

"Yeah, he can have some. I could always make a second batch if we run out." Chanyeol said, returning to his (more-or-less) serious demeanor. This time, Yifan was the one dramatically clutching at his chest.

"You'd bake a second batch... For me?" He asked. Chanyeol simply rolled his eyes.

"Stupid, they'd be for me." To this, Yifan gasped in mock-offense. 

"I thought you loved me." He said.

"I do," Chanyeol replied, "But not enough to make you another batch of cookies." 

"Damn." Yifan ended, and the two broke out in childish laughter. 

---

When the two had finished their pizza, Chanyeol stood up to clean up, but Yifan quickly pushed him back down.

"You've done enough for today," He said, "Let me clean up. Go pick a movie for us to watch." Chanyeol nodded, a 'thank you' escaping his mouth as he stood up and headed towards the living room.

Yifan joined him soon enough, both of them adjusting so they were close together, Chanyeol's back pressed against Yifan's chest. Yifan's arms wrapped around Chanyeol's body, securing the younger, and Chanyeol laid his head back, leaning against the older. Yifan was surprised to see Chanyeol had not picked a Christmas movie, but rather, a Marvel movie. (Doctor Strange, to be exact.) Yifan furrowed his eyebrows, poking Chanyeol teasingly as he said,

"Marvel? I thought you were feeling Christmas." To this, Chanyeol gaped, looking as if he had just been severely offended.

"I am feeling Christmas!" He insisted, "But nothing is more important than Marvel." To this, Yifan's eyes widened.

"Really? Wow, wait until I tell Kyungsoo that one." Chanyeol simply laughed at this, shaking his head as he said,

"You're ridiculous." To which Yifan responded,

"You love me." And Chanyeol's voice softened at this, before he gave a slow nod,

"I do." And with that, the two began watching the movie, lazing around for the rest of the day.