---

promises
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hakyeon wakes up early on Christmas Eve. The sun has yet to fully risen, it's still dark in their bedroom and the clock reads a little after six. Much earlier than he would normally like to wake up at, and he's tempted to just bury his face into his pillow and fall back asleep but he really shouldn't. They're leaving after lunchtime to head to his parents' place for the holidays, a five hour trip that usually puts the both of them on edge. 

 

He has too much to do before then. There's breakfast, last minute packing, making sure everything in the house will be fine as they're gone, gift opening. They exchange their gifts to each other here in the privacy of their own home, where Taekwoon is more comfortable at. 

 

Hakyeon's stomach does a flip as he thinks about it. One of his gifts is different this year, to say the least, has had it bought for months now and has spent quite a few nights worrying over it. He knows he's taking a huge risk with it, unsure if Taekwoon will like it or not. Hakyeon really has no idea. Taekwoon can be full of surprises at times.

 

He slowly crawls out of bed, rubbing at a pain in his neck. He either slept on it wrong again, or he's getting old. Hopefully it's the former.

 

Taekwoon is in the living room, sitting on the floor next to their tiny Christmas tree, on his knees and rocking side to side. Hakyeon's heart swells when he catches a tiny smile on Taekwoon's face when he sees him coming from their room. He immediately returns it, grin spreading ear to ear as he heads towards the other, feeling energized already.

 

"Taekwoonie," he says, bending down to press a kiss to his boyfriend's hair. "Merry Christmas Eve."

 

Taekwoon answers by grabbing a present from under the tree and holding it out. Hakyeon laughs as he takes it, but he can feel anxiety bubbling up in him. He doesn't think he's ready yet to give Taekwoon his present. "Let's eat breakfast first," he suggests, hoping to buy more time.

 

Taekwoon frowns, then shakes his head, and Hakyeon doesn't bother with arguing any further. Taekwoon wants to open presents first, so that's what they'll do. 

 

He sits down next to the other, shaking the gift he's holding gently next to his ear. "I wonder what it is?" he asks, and Taekwoon smiles again.

 

"Open it," he says, and Hakyeon's heart squeezes once more. It's always nice to hear Taekwoon's voice.

 

He obeys, tearing at the wrapping carefully. "Do you like it?" Taekwoon asks before Hakyeon's not even fully done unwrapping it. Once he is, he sees that it's a book. A book about candl

Please log in to read the full chapter