II/?

The Siren's Song

 

 

Hanhee looked around. These were shallow waters, and very few fish were to be seen swimming by. The light from the surface world filtered down, dancing amongst the currents. The bedrock was smooth and barren of reefs or weeds. No one would see her here. 

She placed the small child on the bedrock. The merbaby had fallen asleep from the exhaustion of the birth process. "You were always a thorn on my side. But now your mother is dead and soon you will be too" Hanhee told the child. She caressed it's cheek, trying to gauge the strength of her powers. The child was strong, her powers refined by the royal pedigree of her blood. 

The opportunity couldn't have been timed better. Hanhee had never thought that killing the queen during childbirth would also help her get rid of the baby. Now the path to the king was clear. Very soon, it would be her son who ruled the seas. His rightful claim considering how he was Yuuki's firstborn, illegitimate or not. And now there would be no one else to dispute the claim. 

Hanhee took out a knife. She sharpened the bone edge on the bedrock before aiming it for her neck. It would be a messy cut but if it drew sufficient life force the child could be left to die. She started from the nape, ensuring the first cut would penetrate the skin. The pain woke the child up, and the baby started to cry.

"Stop!" a shrill voice called out. Hanhee cursed. Someone must have heard the baby cry. She forced the knife deeper into its throat before a stronge forced knocked her away. Hanhee lost the grip on her knife while she struggled to get back to the child. Invisible currentd forced her to stay chained to the bedrock while a figure approached the baby.

Hanhee paled as she recognised the prophetess from the markings on her red tail. "Oh you poor child" Aki cooed before picking it up. The baby continued to cry while she healed the baby. Hanhee hissed, protesting the act. "Do not interfere in what is not your concern!" Hanhee yelled. "This child is my concern you foolish merwench" Aki growled. She held the child close to her heart while maintaining the power flow around Hanhee's body. 

"The king has ordered the death of this child. You fall under his jurisdiction" Hanhee said. "The king may rule the seas but he does not control my bidding and actions. I am taking this child and there is nothing you can do to stop me" Aki told her. "By the right of being the mother’s midwife, I am now her guardian on her mother's death. You can't take her without my consent" Hanhee challenged.

"I cannot but I can offer you a deal" Aki said releasing Hanhee. The baby's cries had died down and it now clung to Aki. Hanhee swam to the child but stopped when Aki put her hand up. "I know your desires merwoman. And I can grant you a way to achieve your dream if you give me the child" she offered. "What way?" Hanhee asked, keeping an eye on the baby. She had spotted the knife lying three spans away from where Aki stood. 

"A potion. Use it and the king will fall in love with you. He can be easily persuaded then to make you his queen" Aki explained. "I don't desire the crown for myself. And my children will never rule until she is alive" Hanhee hissed. "No one has to know of her existence. I will announce her dead when morning comes. But I require an apprentice and she will train with me to be mine when the time comes" Aki promised. "What guarantee do I have that she will never stake a claim on the throne?" Hanhee asked.

"The High Prophet's Oath. I can swear my life force on the fact that the child will never lay claim to Yuuki's throne" Aki said. "I have this oath?" Hanhee asked suspiciously. "I will swear on it" Aki assured her. Hanhee nodded, extending her hand. Aki took it, muttering the incantation. Her body started to glow golden as she uttered the words. The light then transferred from her to Hanhee, sealing the bond and Aki's life force. 

"Now return to the castle. You have no business here anymore" Aki spat as she handed a small vial to the other merwoman. Hanhee her tail, disappearing into the night. A high prophet's oath was effectively unbreakable because breaking it would mean the death of the breaker. She would have to watch her back but she had secured one loose end. Now it was time to return to the king's side.