3

Marriage Material

Minah gaped at Jongin in disbelief as he looked her straight in the eye. The smile which had perked his lips up as vanished as he steadily held her gaze. Minah swallowed back the lump in along with the angry retort that was bubbling at her lips.

“I hope you’re kidding.” she sighed, pursing her lips making Jongin raise his eyebrow in response refusing to move from his spot.

“I’m not.”

Minah dropped the bag she had slung on her shoulder back on the chair turning to glare at the man standing next to her.

“You’re full of rubbish Kim Jongin, why on earth would I marry you?”

“Because you’re marriage material.” he explained as her eyes widened and Jongin swore he saw a fire light in them.

“Shut up, seriously. Did you really think that you could come back here four years later, tell me you want to marry me and I would be perfectly fine with it? What kind of a child are you?” Minah spat as Jongin’s hand dug further into his pocket pulling out a velvet box and placing it on her table.

“One who wants to marry you.” he said, opening the box and revealing a ring with a single solitaire glinting back at her. She stared at the ring in shock, blinking before taking a deep ragged breath and shutting the box with a snap.

“Here’s something you need to understand, I will not marry someone who thinks it is okay to make a parody of my feelings for them and come here years later claiming to want to marry me.”

Jongin’s easy demeanour dropped and he stood straight, no longer leaning against the table.

“I didn’t make a parody of your feelings! I didn’t mean to. It was just that…” he froze when he saw tears filling Minah’s eyes.

“You don’t get to decide whether you hurt my feelings or not, do you even know how I felt when you said that I was just marriage material. That I wasn’t desirable enough to be a girlfriend?” she ended with a whisper before looking back up at him “so keep your damn ring.” she ended, picking the bag up from her seat and brushing past him.

“I’ve always wanted to marry you.” he said, making her freeze with her hand on the door knob. Jongin eyed her. Four years since he had last heard her voice, just as assertive as it used to be, but still mellow. She was just as beautiful, as he remembered, she always was graceful and steady, something which he was terrified of but now he wanted with all his heart. He had always wanted to marry her, even back in college but he had been young and stupid, he hadn’t wanted to commit just then, not without exploring and experiencing. He had realized how selfish he had been, and here he was to make amends. She looked back at him with her piercing eyes and sighed.

“Well, you’re too late.”

Jongin stared at the door which shut behind her, his mind whirring as he tried to process what had just happened. Minah fought the tears that threatened to let themselves loose down her cheeks. She heard someone shift around and looked down to see Shuang standing in the corridor. She took a look at her watch and noticed it was too late for the student to be on campus.

“Shuang?” she called to her student as the little girl turned to her with wide eyes, she looked a little dishevelled, just like most of the second grade students in Minah’s class, her bangs a little off center as she tried to fix her bag which she had on her shoulders. Seeing a familiar face, she smiled, dimples now appearing as she ran over to Minah as fast as her legs could carry her.

“What’s wrong?” Minah asked her as Shuang pointed in the direction of the corridor.

“Lost, can’t find baba.” she tried to explain as Minah pulled herself together and held her hand out for Shuang to take.

“Let’s go find him then come on, don’t get lost!.” she smiled as her student caught hold of her little finger as they walked back to the classroom where Minah spotted Shuang’s father looking around for her, worried.

“Mr Zhang!” Minah called out grabbing his attention as Shuang hurried over to her father and grabbed hold of his leg.

“Oh! Shuang where did you go?” he asked before looking up at Minah with a relieved smile “I’m assuming she got lost, thank you for bringing her back!” he sighed as Minah smiled back at him.

“It’s not a problem, at all.”

“How was she?” he asked, still looking worried as Minah’s smile widened.

“She’s a smart child, she’s already making friends with her classmates. Shuang will be perfectly fine here.” she replied as Zhang Yixing laughed, relieved.

“I’m glad. I have you to thank.” he said as Minah waved him off.

“I’m doing what I have to sir, she’s a sweet child, her temperament makes it easier for her to get along with her classmates.”

“Thank you so much again,” he smiled as Shuang burst into conversation with him as he looked at Minah and back at his daughter “she’s telling me all about her day.” he explained as Minah nodded in understanding.

“Shuang, you should tell baba all about it at home! I’m sure he is tired from work today so you can relax and tell him everything and sing him the song you learned today!” Minah encouraged her new student who enthusiastically agreed and waving goodbye.”

“Goodbye Shuang!” Minah smiled as Zhang Yixing waved to her as well.

“Thank you Miss Kim and goodbye.” he said, leading his daughter away as Minah took a deep breath, shouldering her bag ready to leave the school premises and to nurse a mug of coffee to just get over everything that had happened.

“Is he the reason why you said I was too late?” Jongin’s voice echoed through the corridor.


Can you tell I love drama?

Thank you for reading and do let me know what you think :)