Final

Christmas Is The Time For Giving

This'll just remain as fluff. Sorry for the dashed hopes for .


“I so ing dare you.” Hongbin sneered with a greasy smirk on his face. Breaking his concentration on his phone, Hyuk considered his so-called ‘best friend’s’ goad with as much enthusiasm as an unimpressed cat. Hyuk followed Hongbin’s line of sight and spotted the accumulation of children that had formed a line in front of a chair placed upon a pedestal. Sat in the chair, with a stifling looking red suit, sat this year’s mall Santa, a small girl with wide eyes and hair in braids seated on his lap. A flowing white, curly beard cascaded down the man’s chest and half-moon glasses sat on the tip of his nose.

“No.” Hyuk flat out responded. “I might be friends with you but I still have some pride.”.

“You’re no fun.” Hongbin whined.

Hyuk rolled his eyes. “Aren’t we hear to find a gift for your Sister because you’re an idiot that put it off to the very last minute?”. Hyuk prodded Hongbin’s shoulder and the older man huffed and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Not my fault my paycheck didn’t come in till last night.”.

“Just pick a store.”. Above the sound of snow covered boots squeaking on the floor and the drone of people talking, the loud sound of laughter rose through and caught Hyuk’s attention.

“Ho ho ho! And a merry Christmas to you too!” the Santa spoke aloud to the little girl as she scooted off his lap and towards her awaiting Father. The deepness of the man’s voice was unexpected and as Hyuk further inspected the other’s face, he was also surprised to find the visible skin held no wrinkles whatsoever.

“What? You want Santa to put you on his lap?” Hongbin snickered when he caught Hyuk looking longer than necessary.

“ off.” Hyuk scoffed and once again pushed on Hongbin’s shoulder, directing the other towards the nearest beauty boutique. The onslaught of brightly coloured clothes and heady perfume made Hyuk’s head swim but he managed to set Hongbin on his way to find something, anything, that would make a suitable gift.

It was at a particular store that specialized in more punk styled clothing and questionable but tasteful adult items that Hyuk noticed Hongbin’s focus sharpen. He already had a makeup palette, purchased at a previous store, and he was looking for something to go with it.

“I think she likes this band.” Hongbin noted, pointing at a t-shirt with some words written in a graffiti style. Hyuk didn’t recognize the logo but he’d take Hongbin’s word for it. Hongbin picked up the right size and headed towards the counter to pay. Despite the lengthy line and the lone woman working the register, they moved quickly to the front.

Hyuk found his head nodding to the bombastic music that filled the store while he had his hands tucked into his jacket pockets. He had ped his jacket a while ago, finding some relief from the stifling heat.

Taking one more step closer to the register, Hyuk shifted his gaze and stared at the glass cases of body jewelry and cheap watches. Spying a pair of studs, Hyuk briefly wondered what it would be like if he pierced his ears. His daydream was cut short when their turn came and Hongbin placed the shirt on the counter. The woman removed the magnet from the collar and scanned it.

“As well with your purchase, we are discounting the lube we have here on the counter.”. Hyuk froze mid-nod, comprehending what was said and he turned wide eyed to Hongbin who shared the same expression.

Just as Hongbin began to sputter out a ‘no’ his phone rang loudly in his pocket. Hyuk recognized the ringtone as Hongbin’s sister. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, Hongbin swiftly answered the phone and tossed his wallet at Hyuk and walked out of the store. The employee turned to Hyuk, mild annoyance on her face and Hyuk found himself nodding dumbly as he fumbled with Hongbin’s wallet. The woman plucked a small tube out of a displayed bowl and dropped it inside a plastic bag along with the shirt.

Hyuk managed to hand over some cash, and receive the change, but his cheeks were dusted pink. It was quite a…promotion. Grabbing ahold of the bag, Hyuk teetered and eased himself away from the counter before the man behind him could elbow him aside.

For the most part Hyuk kept his face neutral but when he saw Hongbin’s disgruntled expression, he knew something was wrong.

“Mom burnt a pie and is freaking out about ruining Christmas or something.” Hongbin explained. “I need to go calm her down.”.

“Want a ride?” Hyuk offered. When a sheepish look passed over Hongbin’s face, Hyuk figured Hongbin was going to suggest something he wouldn’t like.

“Actually, Hyeri’s on her way to get me. And she can’t see what I’ve bought her. So…”.

“Spit it out or I’m leaving” Hyuk threatened.

Hongbin rolled his eyes. “Go get these wrapped at the wrapping station and drop them off at my house later. Please.”. Hongbin even went the extra mile to clasp his hands in front of his chest and openly beg his friend for the favour. “Hyeri’s always bagging on me for getting her ty presents. It’ll ruin the surprise if she sees what I’m coming home with. Please. Please. Please.”.

Hyuk really couldn’t take Hongbin’s begging, it was just too pathetic how shameless the other could get. “If it’ll shut you up, I’ll do it.” Hyuk sighed, passing Hongbin back his wallet in exchange for the bag with the makeup palette in it.

“You’re seriously the best!” Hongbin cheered, wrapping his arms around Hyuk in a crushing hug the caused a few heads to turn. Hyuk wiggled uncomfortably and pushed the older off him. In less than a second, Hongbin released Hyuk and was already speeding away to the nearest exit, leaving Hyuk with the bags and a burning face from the attention.

Coughing into his fist, Hyuk risked a glance around and relaxed when he found no eyes on him. Well, until he turned completely around and found himself looking at the festive chair set up on the pedestal and a relaxed Santa Claus seated their, gaze directed at Hyuk.

Blinking, Hyuk swallowed. He was frozen on the spot.

Off to the side, an assistant dressed as an elf was guiding the next child to the platform and the hold over Hyuk was broken by the Santa winking. ‘Santa’ cheered and laughed as he extending his hands to the next child and Hyuk scurried off to the wrapping station set up on the other side of the mall with purpose.

He was absolutely not checking out Santa despite Santa checking out him and his retreating backside.


 

At the wrapping station, Hyuk handed over the palette and t-shirt to waiting hands and stood aside as someone with far more wrapping skills than him got to work. While fishing out the t-shirt, Hyuk had managed to stow the lube up his sleeve, hiding the tube to avoid being labeled a ert.

“Hey, Wonshik. On break already?” the man handling Hongbin’s presents spoke up, catching Hyuk off guard. Looking up and blinking from confusion, Hyuk followed the man’s gaze.

“Yeah, Hakyeon. That suit get so hot I sweat buckets.” a deep voice responded and Hyuk’s eyes widened from recognition. Dressed down to only wearing the dark red, faux fur lined, velvet pants with black suspenders, a white t-shirt, and black boots was a surprisingly young man who Hyuk had heard numerous times laugh out Santa’s catchphrase.

Short black hair was partially hidden by a Santa hat but the beard and glasses had been removed to show a sharp jawline and smooth cheeks. Hyuk was just gobsmacked at just how different the man looked out of costume. Whatever cushion had been given to the man to simulate a large belly had been removed and the large shirt followed over a firm physique and strong looking arms.

Collecting his jaw off the floor, Hyuk averted his gaze to the almost wrapped palette, internally cringing when he saw that the t-shirt had yet to be wrapped.

“For the kids, right?” the wrapper sang, applying the last piece of tape to the palette. A name tag and pen was pushed towards Hyuk and Hyuk bent forward to write Hongbin’s name.

“They’re just so cute when they tell Santa how good they’ve been. The good kids are always the nicest.” Wonshik chuckled and Hyuk bit back a shiver.

“So what brings you around my parts anyway?” the wrapper questioned, folding the shirt neatly. “Are you that bored or do you want something?”. The wrapper seemed to have a history with the Santa that peaked Hyuk’s curiosity despite Hyuk refusing the look at either of them, he found the stacks of wrapping paper on the table far too interesting.

“I was wondering if you could get something wrapped for me?” Wonshik questioned.

“Get in line.” the wrapper teased. Hyuk heard feet shuffle before he felt a presence directly behind him.

“I am now. If…Hongbin doesn’t mind me talking around him.”. Hyuk bristled and swiftly turned.

“My name’s not Hongbin.”. Hyuk was not prepared for just how close Wonshik’s grinning face was. Wonshik had been peering over Hyuk’s shoulder to read the name tag and their faces were just millimetres apart. Stepping backwards, Hyuk found himself pressing against the table.

“Oh, my apologizes. What is your name then?” Wonshik questioned, and Hyuk knew, he knew this was Wonshik attempting something and Hyuk wasn’t completely against that.

“Sanghyuk. Han Sanghyuk.”.

“Well, Han Sanghyuk, I’m Kim Wonshik. Nice to meet you.”. A hand was extended and Hyuk found himself instantly reaching towards it. He just so happened to reach for the hand with the same hand that was concealing the lube….

The tube practically leapt from Hyuk’s sleeve and bounced against Wonshik’s stomach before lightly pattering against the floor at Wonshik’s feet. Eyes growing impossibly wide, Hyuk wanted a hole to open up under him and swallow him completely.

A warm laugh bubbled from Wonshik’s mouth before he bent down and collected the tube. When Wonshik straightened himself, he grasped Hyuk’s hand to shake and transferred the tube back.

“I’m guessing you won’t forget that happened.” Hyuk muttered shyly as he hastily shoved the tube in his jacket pocket.

“Afraid not.” Wonshik chortled good-naturedly.

Their conversation was spared from growing even more awkward when Hakyeon finished wrapping the shirt and presented the nicely wrapped box to Hyuk. Hyuk handed over a few coins for payment and made a mental note to bug Hongbin to pay him back.

“Well…” Hyuk froze for a moment before his lips curled into an unsure smile. “Bye.”.

“Have a good one.” Wonshik offered with a kind smile before Hyuk scuttled away.

When Hyuk was far enough away and lost amongst the crowd, he slapped a hand to his forehead, ignoring the disturbed looks he received from passing strangers. “I’m such an idiot.” Hyuk whined. Any confidence he thought he had in the dating game was suddenly down the drain all because of Hongbin. No, the older didn’t play an actual part but Hyuk would be damned if he didn’t find some way to blame the other anyway.

At the loud pounding of footsteps coming up behind him fast, Hyuk made to step to the side to allow the person passing to move by easier. Hyuk was prepared for his shoulder to be grabbed. With too much zealous, Hyuk span mid-step and promptly tripped over his own feet. He found Wonshik, face morphed from shock, holding the wrapped box with the make-up palette in it that Hyuk had stupidly forgotten at the wrapping station.

The recognition was erased as Hyuk fell backwards and crashed perfectly through the rope set up to separate Santa’s area from the rest to the mall. Tangled in the thick, red rope, Hyuk waved his arms frantically, trying to catch himself on something, anything. His efforts proved fruitless when he collided painfully with Santa’s chair, his landing on the pedestal and his back hitting the side of it. The chair was pushed and with a loud bang, was forced off the pedestal.

“! Are you okay?”. Hyuk’s head was swimming from the impact and he he opened his eyes; not knowing he had even closed them, he saw multiple pairs of concerned eyes. After a moment, the eyes melded into just two and Hyuk winced.

“, my head hurts.” Hyuk scowled, raising his hands to cradled the back of his tender skull. By that time, a few of the Santa assistants had crowded around and were trying to straighten up the mess Hyuk had caused.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have snuck up on you.” Wonshik spoke slowly, extending a hand for Hyuk to take. Hyuk blinked dumbly for a moment before he reached for it. Wonshik’s grip was strong and his hand was warm and Hyuk thought that maybe the trauma wasn’t the only reason he couldn’t focus. “Come on, I know a place you can sit for a bit.”.

Hyuk kept a hand plastered to the back of his head, rubbing in soothing circles over the sore spot as he held on tightly to Wonshik’s hand. “I saw Taekwoon a few minutes ago, can you ask him if he can start early?” Wonshik asked a passing girl dressed as an elf. She nodded and Wonshik continued guiding Hyuk away, towards a door marked employees only.

“There’s a lounge in here. I can go a grab some ice for your head.” Wonshik supplied and Hyuk nodded. For a brief moment, a stupidity driven giggle slipped passed Hyuk’s lips and before he could stop himself, Hyuk explained the reason to a confused Wonshik.

“Looks like I fell for you.”. Mirth caused Wonshik’s lips to pull into a wide smile and his eyes to crinkle.

“I was going to go about this in a more traditional manner by asking for you number, but I guess that worked.”. Wonshik shared in Hyuk’s laughter until they entered an empty hallway, a great deal quieter than the rest of the mall. “Back here.”. There shoes squeaked against the floor until they reached another door that Wonshik pushed open.

It was a quaint room, set up with a few chairs, a table, and a small couch. It was clearly a break room that had been quickly set up. Off to the side, Hyuk could see boxes stacked with extra Christmas decorations hanging over the sides.

Wonshik backed Hyuk up to the couch and sat him down. “Wait here, I’ll go grab some ice.”. Hyuk wasn’t sure where Wonshik could go to get said ice, but it was only a minute later that the man returned, a ice pack in one hand and a cloth in the other. The pack was wrapped up and Wonshik sat himself at Hyuk’s side on the couch.

“How’re you feeling?” Wonshik questioned, gingerly touching the cold bundle to the back of Hyuk’s head. Raising a hand, Hyuk felt around behind his head until he a hold of the pack. Wonshik’s hand remained where it was as Hyuk readjusted the pack to rest on the sore spot.

“Like I bashed my head against a wooden chair.” Hyuk offered jokingly.

“Would it be too bad to say this is an interesting way to break the ice?”. Hyuk lifted his gaze and chuckled. The mild embarrassment on Wonshik’s face had Hyuk relaxing against the couch until his back rest comfortably against the surface, his shoulder against Wonshik’s.

“It does make for an interesting story.”.


Yes, there won't be and I'm so sorry but I just can't muster the time and effort to write it. I have to stop making promises I can't keep.

Have a good day or night and a Merry Christmas and happy New Years!