Final

Together for Christmas

          The sight of the landscapes brought tears to my eyes. It had been a year since I had left Korea. A year that I had been studying in Japan. I had made some new friends and loved the country, but it felt much better to be here. I was finally back home and I wouldn't go back to Japan, but my parents didn't know about it yet.

          I tightened the grip on my jacket while walking to the airport. The first thing that caught my attention was the big Christmas tree. I stared at it as I waited for my luggage. The place was crowded with people. In fact, there were many foreigners. Once I had my bags, I walked towards the exit where my parents were waiting. The tears I had been holding back rolled down my cheeks when I saw my mother. I had missed her embrace and her sweet smile.

 

"I missed you darling !"

"I missed you too mommy !"

"How have you been ?"

"Very good ! I have-"

"You look so skinny baby !" my mother cut me off.

"I'm not !"

"How long are you going to ignore me ?"

 

          My father was standing beside my mother, frowning. He looked so funny. I kissed his cheek before hugging him. I suddenly realized how hard it had been to be away from them. My life in Japan had been great but empty without my family.

          There was another person that I missed. A guy who had always been by my side. I had met him at the park when we were 10. I clearly remembered our first meeting.

 

          I had been playing with my friends at that time. One of them had thrown away our ball and I had run after it. That was when I had seen a little guy sitting on a bench by himself. He had been crying and I had decided to talk to him. He had told me about his parents' fight and I had comforted him. I had also asked him to join my friends in the play, so as to cheer him up. He had accepted without reluctance.

 

          My father's voice put an end to my remembrance.

 

"Ji Hyun, are you listening ?"

"Yeah.. Yes, I am."

"You're not even smiling. I thought you'd be happy for Woo Hyun."

"Woo Hyun ? What ?"

"You should congratulate him on his engagement."

"Yeobo, what-"

 

          I was taken aback by this piece of information. It was unbelievable. I didn't even know that Woo Hyun had a girlfriend. Actually, I couldn't believe that he had hidden his relationship. I was his best friend ! Yet, I knew nothing about his current love story. And what a story ! He was getting married !

          My heart was torn at this thought..

 

. . .

 

          I had been standing in front of the mirror for almost one hour. I didn't know what to wear. My parents had invited Ji Hyun and her parents. I had not seen my friend for a long time and I missed her a lot. I wanted to look good for our reunion. The last time we had seen each other was when I had just started college. Even though we had often talked on Skype, it wasn't the same as being together.

          I was still thinking of her when my mother called for help. She was baking in the kitchen. She laughed as soon as I appeared, which left me dumbfounded.

 

"Why are you dressed like that ?"

 

          I took a look at my suit, then back at her. She couldn't stop laughing and I pouted.

 

"It's a simple lunch, Woo Hyun. You don't have to wear such clothes !"

"This is really comfortable !"

"Is it for Ji Hyun ? Do you want to impress her ?"

"No !"

"Woo Hyun, I'm your mother. I know when you're lying."

"Mom, I'm not. This-"

 

          I was cut off by the sound of the doorbell. My mother panicked because she had not finished her baking and our guests were already there. I went to the door while she focused on her cake. The first person I saw was Ji Hyun. But she wasn't as happy as I had thought she would be. Instead, she was frowning and her arms were crossed on her chest.

 

"Is there something wrong ?" I asked.

"I don't want to talk to you.."

"What have I done ?"

"Could you, please, get out of my way ?"

"Ji Hyun !"

 

          My parents welcomed our guest as I took a step back. She received a load of hugs and kisses. Then, I tried to grab her arm but she only stuck her tongue out. It seemed that I wouldn't be able to give her a warm welcome. She had not even noticed my efforts in clothing.

          I got closer and poked her waist while whispering her name as a pleading.

 

"I thought I was your best friend !" she suddenly exploded.

"You are."

"Am I ? How could you hide your relationship then !"

"What are you talking about ?"

"You already know.."

"No, I don't ! What's wrong ?" I argued.

 

          She didn't reply for a moment. But when she spoke again, my confusion only grew.

 

"Who's your fiancé ?"

"What ?"

"Come on, who is she ?"

 

          I was speechless. I wasn't engaged. I had not even been in a relationship those past months. My parents looked shocked. However, Ji Hyun's parents were giggling. Kang Ha wrapped an arm around his daughter's shoulders and said.

 

"I'm sorry Woo Hyun. The truth is, I've told Ji Hyun that you're engaged."

"What a weird idea." my mother replied.

"It was funny though. If you had seen Ji Hyun's face when she heard about it."

"Our poor Ji Hyun.. She must have been devastated."

"Is it.. a lie ?" the latter asked.

"Of course ! I would've told you if I had someone." I said.

 

. . .

 

          What a wonderful reunion ! I had missed him so much, and our first words had been full of anger. I hated fighting with him. Especially during this period of the year. I felt so sorry that we had met again.. on a quarrel.

          I looked at Woo Hyun with pleading eyes, facing his disapproving expression. I felt guilty for believing my father's words so easily. Fortunately, Woo Hyun laughed after a few seconds. There, in front of our curious parents, he pulled me close in an embrace.

 

"I missed you little baby."

"I missed you too ! But.."

 

          He took a step back upon hearing my hesitation. I pinched his cheek while telling him that I wasn't a baby anymore.

 

"You are."

"I'm not."

"You are", he nodded.

"I'm not."

"You-"

"You're both babies." Ae Ri stated, "and it's time to eat."

 

          Ae Ri had prepared a great meal for us. She had always been good at cooking. I had missed our families' lunch together. Actually, I had missed the feeling of being with them. Everyone wanted to know more about my stay in Japan. I told them about the college, my new friends and the job I had. Life in Tokyo was very different from daily life in Korea. But I liked both ways of life.

 

"And now, tell us about your love life." Woo Hyun's father asked.

"Oh.. there's nothing much to say."

"Aren't you attracted to some of your friends ?"

"Or a college crush." Ae Ri added.

"No, men in Japan aren't so attractive. Well, that's my opinion. And.. no one has tried to court me. I don't think my soul mate is there."

"You better stay here", my mother said, "there are a lot of Korean guys who'd like to court you."

"And we know one of them." Ae Ri winked at my mother.

 

          I caught Woo Hyun staring at me. Our eye contact lasted for a few seconds, but it felt like an eternity. Ae Ri's hint was so obvious. She wanted her son to be my boyfriend. I had always assumed that he only thought of me as a friend, but Ae Ri's words gave me a whole new perspective.

 

          After the meal, Woo Hyun and I wanted to go for a walk together. It was only when we were about to leave that I realized he was wearing a suit. I must admit that he looked handsome, although his clothes weren't appropriate for a long walk. And so he decided to change his clothes. Also, we chose not to go far from the house. A quiet walk in the neighborhood was enough.

          He told me about his daily life at college, his friends and roommates, his hobbies. I also told him about mine. I was feeling awkward despite our friendly conversation. Ae Ri's words and behavior could not be erased from my mind. And Woo Hyun's eyes on me only confirmed he might feel something for me. He was trying to be perfect, and I couldn't help but feel nervous.

 

"Ji Hyun ?"

"Uh.. what ?"

"What's on your mind ?" he giggled.

"Sorry, I was thinking about what your mother said earlier."

 

          I had to blink to make sure that I wasn't dreaming. Woo Hyun was blushing ! I had never seen him like this in the past. He was really blushing !

 

"Should we.. walk a little faster ? It's so cold !"

 

          He didn't wait for my approval and started walking faster. That boastful friend of mine was now walking away, trying to avoid me. It seemed that he felt embarrassed. It wasn't like him and I liked that. For once, I didn't want to go easy on him. I wanted to find out the cause of his sudden shyness.

 

. . .

 

          My heartbeat was so loud that I felt like Ji Hyun could hear it. I was unconsciously walking faster and faster. Until I heard a scream, I turned back to see Ji Hyun on the ground. She was holding her ankle while whining. All my little worries vanished as I ran to my best friend. Her eyes were teary already. I helped her up but she failed each time. Without a second thought, I kneeled down to let her climb on my back, which she did. Her whine stopped almost immediately. She held me tight and we walked in silence for a while.

 

          Thrills ran down my body when she whispered something to my ear. She wanted to know more about the one my mother had told her about. The guy who would be pleased to court her. I didn't know if I was ready to confess though. I didn't have the right words, nor the right tone. How could I let her know..

 

"What do you want for Christmas ?" I ended up saying.

"An answer.", she giggled, "are you in love with me ?"

 

          My heart was beating loudly again. This time, her hand traveled down to my chest. There was no doubt she could feel my heart beats. I could only blush, which confirmed her supposition.

 

"Let me down, Oppa."

 

          She stood in front of me but I couldn't look at her. Instead, I was looking at the tip of my shoes. I had never been like this and I didn't know what to do. Ji Hyun repeated her question and my nervosity increased. I had not been shy in the past, not in front of my lovely Ji Hyun. But now I couldn't say a word.

 

"Are you ?"

 

          I took a deep breath and nodded. My gaze was still locked to the shoes I was wearing. Until she put a finger under my chin to lift my head up. I wasn't expecting to see her smile. Yet, she was smiling and I was drawn to her kissable lips.

 

"You're my best friend, aren't you ?"

"I am." I nodded again.

"Then, why hiding your feelings ?"

"I thought it could be.. inconvenient.."

"Inconvenient ?" Ji Hyun pinched my cheek, "you're incredible Oppa ! To be honest, I'm glad that you like me. I mean.. we know everything about each other. We've spent a lot of time together. And you're my best friend ! This is amazing !"

 

          I was taken aback. If anything, I never thought Ji Hyun would be happy or pleased. We had always been friends. And I had assumed I would always be stuck in the friend-zone. It was hard to believe that she was giving me a chance.

          This dream got even better when she took a step closer.

 

"So.." she hesitated, "are we.. a.. couple ?"

 

          How could I refuse when I had been waiting for this opportunity for such a long time. However, there was one thing I needed to make sure.

 

"What about you ? Are you in love with me, Ji Hyun ?"

"Isn't it obvious ?"

"Are you ?"

"I'm here Oppa. You're the one I came for. And I won't leave you now."

"What about your scholarship in Japan ?"

"I've been there for a year already, so my scolarship came to an end. I'm not going back to Japan. But, you should keep this a secret. It's a surprise for Christmas eve."

"Ji Hyun.. I don't want you to put your dreams aside because of me."

"Oppa, my dream is to date you. Truthfully, life in Japan is great. The college is a nice place to be, professors are interesting and I've made friends. But it is nothing compared to what I have here. I'm home now, I'm with you."

 

          Her words almost brought tears to my eyes. I had been waiting for a long time, and the reality of our moment exceeded my dreams. I couldn't hold back my feelings anymore. Ji Hyun's body was soon pressed against mine. I closed my eyes to enjoy her scent, her body figure and her closeness. She was mine now, she would forever be mine. And she was the best Christmas gift I could ever have.