chapter five.

» this christmas

Lia almost gasped as she heard what Jiwon said. It now made sense, the reason why his mother acted the way she acted. It wasn’t because she didn’t like her but rather because she felt some kind of pity for her who seemed to be in the middle of everything. Hearing those words fall off his lips dragged her down to Earth as the little drama playing in her mind suddenly was transferred to reality. She gripped on the paper tighter - what she had to say, suddenly didn’t make any kind of sense. Jiwon saw this sudden change in her. He parted his lips to speak but she was quicker than he was ‘’You shouldn’t be standing here if you’re engaged to someone else.’’ she spoke, nodding slowly.

 

His eyes landed on the paper she had in her hands, knowing it was something important she had to tell him. He frowned at how she misunderstood the situation. Holding out his hand, he asked for the paper she didn’t want to give him. He sighed and walked towards her just to see her rip the paper into small pieces. ‘’Please exit my life this right moment. I don’t think any of this is right for us.’’ he was hurt with what she just said. ‘’Are you letting my father part us that easily?’’ he asked her, watching her hands let go of the paper that now was harshly ripped into tiny pieces he wouldn’t put effort on to bring back together so he knew the truth.

 

With the silence she provided him, he decided to talk again. ‘’I said I would get married.’’ he started, wondering just how the dark room that only had the light provided by the moon made this scene more dramatic than it already was. It was almost like the night was the only time people would be honest and let out the monsters inside them. He smiled a bit at the words that were about to come off his lips - they weren’t funny, the slightest but they made him quite happy - ‘’I said I’m getting married but I never agreed to marry the girl my father wants me to.’’ he told her as if his good intentions would do any good in the situation.

 

Lia sighed and stared at Jiwon quietly. ‘’I accepted half of the agreement so, my father has to accept my half as well.’’ it was not the end ‘’It’s not just me who’s getting married. If I’m getting married then it will be with you.’’ he finished, noticing a new set of tears roll down her cheeks. He found this strange since he knew his girlfriend wasn’t planning on getting married - was she scared? But she stood up and hugged him tightly, by his neck only leaving him enough time to hug her back.

 

‘’I’m so glad to hear that…’’ she whispered quietly even though she didn’t want to get married ‘’Because this secret is killing me…’’ she whispered to him, pulling back to look at him as she sniffed some air into her lungs. The male, looked confused at her, waiting for her to explain the meaning of her words.

 

With a quick, yet gentle move, she took her hand in his feeling glad she could claim his touch as hers since he had decided to help her get through the drama his father insisted to create over something so simple as their love life. His eyes never left hers as he let his hand be guided by hers. His body tensed when she rest his hand over her lower stomach. His heart started beating harshly against his chest as he tried to understand what she was trying to tell him.

 

She kept quiet, wanting him to talk first even if he only stared at her, speechless. Took him five minutes to finally cough out some words. ‘’What are you...trying to say?’’ he whispered to her, not really knowing if he should keep his eyes over where his hand was or simply look at his girlfriend’s features. She also took a while to speak as she was more nervous than she ever expected to be. The nervous smile over her lips gave away the answer her voice wasn’t able to speak and she was surprised by her boyfriend’s reaction.

 

Instead of thanking her or ask her if she was being honest when she answered his question, he started crying quietly. She wasn’t sure if it was a good or bad answer. He took his hand away from her and dropped to his knees, worrying the female whose heart was beating like crazy - she was even asking herself if she did the right thing as she wasn’t sure anymore since his actions were confusing her.

 

‘’Oh my god…’’ he cried out, landing his hands over his girlfriend’s waist while his forehead rest against the place his hand rest just a few seconds ago. Lia stood still as he cried. That moment, the seconds ticked by just to slowly for her heart to take it. It was like every second she counted, her body grew heavier. That was only until his lips kissed her skin as he stood up. His hands cupped her cheeks so his lips could kiss hers fully. The female was a bit surprised but she melted into the kiss.

 

As they pulled away, she wiped his tears away, frowning at the sight of them over his features. The male chuckled at the way she looked at him and gently pecked her lips, sniffing quietly as he tried to get himself together - his voice cracked as he tried to speak. ‘’You just gave me the best present I could ever ask for.’’ he informed her. He was happy for this, especially because this could help him out with the situation he was in. She could now breathe from relief as she heard him.

 

‘’Let’s get you to bed, hm?’’ he suggested as the day was just full of emotions. It was like both rode a rollercoaster since both had been over every single inch of the feelings they could call off - sad, mad, happy, insecure, and some other more, they have explored those feelings quite well that day. It even made Lia sick from thinking about that since now she was just so happy over everything.

 

As the couple sat down, the female turned to Jiwon and bit her lip, allowing him to understand she had something to ask him. He tilted his head slightly, showing off the purest smile - he was genuinely happy, she could see that. He had no trace of regret or what so ever. Even though there was this small inch of his heart that still beat for his brother’s future wife, he now had a child to look after and his own soon to be wife to get his head busy with. ‘’Did...you mean it?’’ she asked, a bit unsure about what he said earlier. It didn’t take him long to realize she was talking about his proposal that never really sounded like a proposal but rather like a demandment.

 

After noticing this, he mentally scold himself for being so dense. However, he lost no time in making up for it. Without giving her an answer, he took her hand in his, caressing it gently with his thumb. ‘’I know this is just not...exactly how this should be done but then again, that’s just how we are, right?’’ he chuckled, moving from the bed to the floor, resting only a knee on the floor like the traditional way things were done ‘’but, will you marry me? I promise to make you happy and take care of you.’’ he nodded firmly, committed to it.

 

Call it pregnancy hormones or whatever but Lia was feeling sensitive in that moment, only leading her to tears - of happiness. She covered her face with her free hand, again not managing to get the words off - they were stuck and maybe even suffocated with her sobs. ‘’Baby…’’ he whispered as his hand reached for hers to pull it away. A chuckle coming from his lips and a gentle peck over her forehead was enough to calm her down. He still waited for the answer she cried out ‘’Yes.’’

 

After this, hips lips curved into a huge smile. He couldn’t be happier in that moment even if he knew he would have a long day the next day, which would be scheduled with a huge argument with his father - an argument that he was determined to win. ‘’Now, to bed, baby.’’ he pressed his lips against hers for a second before running to get her something comfortable to wear.

 

In just mere minutes, they were both under the blankets that covered them from the cold but none of them dared to let go of each other or even close their eyes. Chuckling, his and pushes some hair off Lia’s features. ‘’You should be sleeping by now’’ he told her, worrying about how long she would rest since she too, had to get ready for the day they would have to face in just a few hours. Her smile made him smile - she was happy to know he cared for her. Her fingertips rest over his lips after he was done speaking. She stole a gentle peck from his lips before answering him ‘’You should be sleeping as well.’’



 

‘’Are you sure you’re comfortable with those clothes? Aren’t they too tight?’’ Jiwon had started the morning nagging to his girlfriend who only rolled her eyes at his words - she was annoyed over everything he said to her. She knew he was worried but she also knew that the clothes were just fine. They weren’t tight at all. They were quite comfortable but his nagging got her to change clothes. She glared at him once she was done changing and only earned a smile from his lips.

 

‘’Now, let’s go get breakfast!’’ he announced, nodding firmly. Lia only sighed as she acknowledged how hard it’d be to be pregnant around him. He would be worrying more than he ever needed to but at the same time, she felt thankful for that since this assured her he only wanted her. The other people were all behind his back and whoever tried to break them apart, would probably just fail miserably. The thought of this, brought a soft smile to her lips. She looked at him who was looking back at her, standing a few centimeters away from her. Her arms wrapped around him for a hug ‘’Thank you’’ she whispered to him, sighing quietly. He wasn’t sure of why she was thanking him but he didn’t ask either and simply smiled it off, pretending he knew exactly what she was thanking him for.




 

‘’Well, here goes nothing.’’ Jiwon’s hand was tightly holding onto Lia’s. She smiled a bit at him, unsure of how to cheer him up as they stood in front of his parents’ house, yet again. He reached out for the door, ringing the bell just to wait nervously outside for his call to be answered by someone. He wasn’t surprised to see their maid opening the door with a knowing smile. She could tell something stronger than she could explain, was going on between Jiwon and that girl he always accused of being his best friend. She smiled and let them in. ‘’Your father is on his office, would you like me to call him?’’ Jiwon only nodded once to the maid who quickly disappeared in the huge house. Jiwon lead Lia inside, closing the door behind him carefully after both walked in. His hand still didn’t leave hers - he felt comfortable like this and her touch got him calm.

 

They waited by the door as for some reason, the house didn’t feel his anymore. It felt like he was somewhere in a place he didn’t know. The house seemed colder than usual and it was not because it was winter, much less for the lack of human bodies inside since they produced heat. It was because of the unsolved business he left hanging the day before. His father had his answer but there was still half to be said. That half that would change everything, the half that had to be justified not only with his love for Lia but on what their love resulted. That little seed that was growing inside her. The one seed he defended the day before without knowing of it’s existence. He was just radiant about it.

 

‘’Your father is waiting for you, sir.’’ the maid smiled gently to the couple even though she only talked to the male. Jiwon thanked her by bowing slightly and waited for her to leave to turn to his girlfriend. ‘’I won’t take long, baby.’’ he told her, using his free hand to caress her cheek and bring her close to him for a kiss - almost as if that kiss was something he couldn’t go off without. It gave him some kind of strength and she didn’t deny it. She complied to his need by gently kissing the soft lips he owned and she was so fond of. ‘’Wait here, I’ll just take a second.’’ he whispered to her after pulling away. With a quick peek around, he smiled after seeing no one. He leaned down, kissing the place he wished his kid was growing in. The female chuckled at this little act of his, understanding that he wanted to announce it differently to his family. ‘’I love you.’’

 

With this, he quickly ran to his father’s office as he knew perfectly well he wasn’t fond of wasting time waiting. Lia smiled to herself as she was left behind - for some reason she felt confident over this. She was just happy.


 

‘’I see you’re back. Are you calmer now? Did you come to discuss the wedding details?’’ his father asked, looking over his laptop through his glasses as he didn’t even pay attention to the effort Jiwon put into his clothes to meet him to announce the important thing he came there for. His father found weird the fact his kid didn’t answer him so he looked up to meet his son’s eyes. Jiwon was smiling like a fool, this was a total opposite from the night before. This gave away something.

 

‘’Why are you standing there without speaking?’’ he was asked. His father pulled his glasses down to look at his son who bit his lip ‘’Dad, you should support me through my decisions.’’ Jiwon started, watching his father’s face twist in confusion but eventually understanding he was talking about the marriage. ‘’I thought we had discussed this yesterday. You agreed to marry.’’ he commented, crossing his arms over his chest to intimidate his son.

 

Jiwon didn’t seem bothered. His smile never left his lips as he was too happy to even glare at his father who was challenging him. ‘’I agreed to marry but I didn’t say who I was getting married to.’’ he fought back, biting his lip before going on. ‘’And plus, there’s a baby on the way, I need to stand by her side now.’’