Now here's the first time we meet.

When Everything Else is Gone
He was standing on the edge of Fall. 
 
The mechanical roar of Kim Mingyu's Leica drowns in a sea of sound-- a bustling crowd of eager student protesters marching towards a makeshift platform in a small plaza, yelling insults towards whatever is keeping their young hopes and dreams endangered. Angry motorists violently honking at other drivers who were running their vehicles too slow, as they try to check out what the commotion is all about. The tall, young man roams around, taking photographs of the guerilla protest for the newspaper, Pledis Herald, a local publication where he started working recently. Being a passionate street photographer, he jumped right into the action and settled himself at a good spot near the stage, albeit shoving random strangers a bit too harsh to the side, to be able to take photos of the crowd's ringleaders. He was preoccupied with taking candid photos of the students who attended, despite it being a cold Thursday morning, when a voice as deep as midnight blue cuts through his thoughts.
 
"Today we gather here in our grave dissapointment to the system who has once sworn to protect our right to equal academic opportunities. Aren't we all sick and tired of the beurocracy?"
 
Mingyu felt everything between him and the bespectacled owner of the voice crashing down, in slow motion. The jeering and yelling of the students were fading to only the rapid beating of his heart, as it began to swell and pound violently inside its cage. He is transfixed with the sight of the man in front of him, the owner of the voice-- waif-thin body evident even with thick, seasonal clothes. Messy, raven hair under his beanie. Sharp, but kind eyes behind gold-rimmed, round glasses. Bright, toothy smile that made his lungs dissolve into love.
 
I will never forget you, Jeon Wonwoo.
 
Wonwoo went to the same university as Mingyu, but was enrolled in Law School and was the head of the student body in his last year. He may look intimidating because of his stoic facade, but he is very kind and is always ready to help students with their struggles at school. If there's anyone who would know how to steel up during difficult times, it would be him because he worked so hard at school and his multiple part-time jobs to be able to finish his degree with flying colors. Mingyu has always fancied his duality, and admired his determination to achieve his dreams.
 
Mingyu came back to his senses as sounds of police sirens get louder and nearer. The air that was previously filled with zeal and conviction has started to stale into an air of fear, as the protesters and students start to run in all directions. The raven-haired ringleader urged his fellow leaders to run as well. In the midst of chaos, Mingyu clicked away as he found that photographer's golden opportunity and resolved to capture the mesmerizing disarray that has unfolded. 
 
As Wonwoo ushers his colleagues away from the chaos, he managed to get shoved hard and fell on his hands and knees, while letting out a small yelp. His glasses fell somewhere, too, and so he squinted as he tried to find it. While Wonwoo looked after s, he was left alone, a helpless mess trying to find his eyes on the ground. 
 
The sound of the police cars drew nearer and nearer, and so Mingyu grabbed Wonwoo's arms to lift him up. When the leader is standing up, the taller man held his hand.
 
"Let's get out of here."
 
Wonwoo nodded in agreement even without knowing who just held his hand, and in that moment, they started running away from everything.
 
As a street photographer, Mingyu knows every vein and artery of the city, from the countless hours of walking and thriving in them and their art. He led Wonwoo into a very narrow alley in between a wine cafe and an Italian restaurant. The area reaks of alcohol and rotten food, but Mingyu knows it is a safe passage as not a lot of people know this cramped space is actually passable. A few turns here and there, and they emerge at a secluded park hidden behind a string of tall buildings. Mingyu saw a bench nearby, and led Wonwoo to it, so they can both sit down and rest from all that running. While they are sitting, both didn't notice that they still held hands. Their fingers laced with each other felt like a natural thing.
 
"Are you alright?" 
 
"Yes, I am. Um, thank you for running with me."
 
Wonwoo gave Mingyu a shy smile and it lit up Mingyu's world. Wonwoo touched his cheek with his free hand as it felt the warmth of embarrassment spread in his face. 
 
As Wonwoo brought his hand down, Mingyu noticed the scrapes in his palm, dirty and bloody against his pale skin. Mingyu then let go of their hands, took the wounded one, and gently wiped the dirt with a handlerchief, blowing onto it to relieve the sting. Wonwoo just smiled along with it, confused but weirdly contented. After tending the wounded skin, Mingyu wraped the handkerchief around Wonwoo's hand to protect it. He stared at the raven-haired man beside him and God, he is so beautiful and so fragile up close. It never dawned to Wonwoo that Mingyu is looking at him lovingly because he doesn't have his glasses, but felt Mingyu's hand brush against his. He wanted to hold it. His heart yearns for it. When they let go of each other's hands, breathing seems a little more difficult.
 
Wonwoo snaps from his daze as he realize the need to find s and regroup. At the same time, they hear the sound of police cars again, as if to signal that their time together is over. Before Wonwoo could get up, Mingyu held his hand again and tugged it so he sits back down. The taller boy took something out from his bag, leaned closer and put something over his eyes-- his glasses.
 
After regaining his lost sight, the first thing that emerged from the blur is Mingyu's face. The tall man is exquisitely handsome, and is staring fondly at him. Wonwoo was overwhelmed and baffled by how his heart has been reacting to the man in front of him. He's usually not this trusting, especially to strangers. But somehow this man has his magic on him, and he felt safe. 
 
The sirens don't seem to get tired, though. Wonwoo really has to go now. They both say goodbyes but before Wonwoo turns around to run, he asked for Mingyu's name.
 
"I'm Wonwoo, what's your name?"
 
Mingyu's heart could have exploded at that moment, when Wonwoo askes for his name.
 
"Mingyu."
 
He can only muster his name softly. As if God is playing with them, Wonwoo didn't catch his name as it was drowned by the approaching sirens. With trembling hands, Mingyu takes one last photo of Wonwoo, and a silent prayer that the other will not forget the moment they had together. 
 
Wonwoo runs smiling, feeling the ghost of Mingyu's hand on his. 
 
The first snow of the year falls.
 
And with it, Mingyu's tears.
 
 
 
 
 
1 year ago...
 
"Is this recording now, Doctor? Ok. Uh, my name is Jeon Wonwoo... and I am here in Lacuna to undergo the memory erasure procedure and irrevoacbly remove all the memories I have with my former boyfriend..."
 
Wonwoo choked in words but then managed to let out a heavy sigh.
 
"Ok, Wonwoo, what's his name?"
 
"Kim Mingyu."