(1)

High Reach (ChanBaek)

Chanyeol had just turned seventeen when it started.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun had been pittering around the stream bed looking for pebbles and stones that he knew he and Chanyeol could skip when the clean, alto song of a horn blared through the trees and bounced into the Omega's ears. With a gasp, Baekhyun dropped the stones into his deerskin pouch and began skittering through the trees on light soles. Wet leaves sagged between his toes and the cool dirt fell over the werewolf boy's feet as he ran, excited, back towards camp. It was the day of the Kudos Epoch - the day celebrating the coming of age of a new wolf. The blowing of the horn announced the conclusion of the ritual and the emergence of a new, mature pack member. Baekhyun had had his own Kudos Epoch just ten suns earlier: today, it was Chanyeol's.

Once a young man or woman was deemed ripe by the pack elder shaman - who was always right in her calculations of astronomy and nature and spirit - they would undergo an herbal enhanced meditation guided by the shaman in order to exploit their inner, mature self. It was the maturing time, the time when leaders, sages, warriors, and healers were discovered.

Chanyeol had disappeared into the shaman's den before daybreak, waking a very disgruntled Baekhyun beforehand for a moment only so the Omega could wish him good luck. For the rest of the day Baekhyun had been anxious as a bee without a beehive, and later, when the sun was arched up far over the vault of the firmament he traipsed down to the creek to walk off his nerves. There was no telling so far how Chanyeol would fare: would he emerge as a Beta? Likely. As an Alpha? Maybe not, he was too squirly. As an Omega? A very large one perhaps. The whole thing unsettled Baekhyun - whichever way it would come about, it would mean change. Certain change. Baekhyun wasn't, had never been, afraid of the Kudos Epoch per say, at least not of his own. But he and Chanyeol had shared the deepest connection of friendship since before he could remember, had grown up sharing the same baths and eating from the same bone and playing in the same fields, and now with this whole rank change...well, it was change. And it would define their relationship for years to come.

But it was evening now, just before the sunset, and Chanyeol had to have been done with his ceremony. Adrenaline suffered through the Omega's veins and made his eyes blur as he came up to the pack camp in the swift Omega fashion. Already he sensed the bouts of excitement and joy - women and Omegas and elders and children hopped about in flurried discussion as they prepared, it seemed, for dinner. Rice and wheat patties were slapped onto hot stones and put near the fire while children sorted fruits and washed vegetables.

Baekhyun swung around his own den with the intention of going to the shaman, or maybe the Head Alpha, to look for Chanyeol - he nearly collided with the old, craggly woman and knocked her over in his hurry, quickly apologizing. "I'm so sorry halmeoni-nim! I was just looking for - "

"Chanyeol?"

Baekhyun nodded.

The shaman woman - who was indeed beautiful, her leathery wrinkles crinkling at the corners of her eyes and smudged ritual paint decorating her face - smiled and gently reached out to Baekhyun's wrist in a motherly sort of way. "He's out on the hunt, dear."

Baekhyun felt a cold stone drop into his stomach, one that was electrified and thrilled. "The h-hunt? He's a dominant!" he exclaimed, mouth parted in wonder. The shaman woman nodded. 

"Strong. He did well. He was looking for you earlier, dear boy, but it seems you weren't around."

Baekhyun couldn't help the grin that reached his eyes - imagine that, he thought. Chanyeol, a dominant! "Oh halmeoni I can't wait to see him! Tell me tell me! Is he an Alpha or a Beta?"

The woman began hobbling in the direction of the other women and Omegas, and Baekhyun reached out and supported a bit of her weight for her. She chuckled. "I'll let him tell you that, Baekhyun. But I'm sure you'll figure it out quick, yes?"

She cringed when he squealed with excitement. "Oh I'm going to die from anticipation! Can you believe that, halmeoni? Chanyeol is a dominant! He's always wanted to go on a hunt before, I hope he's doing well. Why was he looking for me by the way? Oh I'm sure he was just excited. That's so cool though. Oh look halmeoni I have these pebbles in my pouch, do you think they're good for skipping or - "

"Baekhyun."

"Yes halmeoni?"

"Would you please speak lower? You're awfully loud."

"Oh yes sorry. What's for dinner tonight? Oh are those cabbages? And morell mushrooms! Where on earth did those come from? I really don't like mushrooms. They're too mushy and slimy. Chanyeol likes mushrooms. Do you remember that one time when he ate that really weird colored mushroom and then his tongue got all - "

"Baekhyun."

"Yes?"

"Why don't you go look for some more berries?"

The Omega grinned, overflowing with pride in his best friend when he nodded, helped the woman sit, and then took off skipping into the bushes.

 

~

 

The last traces of the purple varnish of the sunset were just about faded when the dominants returned from their hunt. In the jaws of the masters dragged two large deer, only slightly bloodied but limp. The pack cheered as the camp swelled with the scents of a hearty meal - one large wolf stood out in particular to Baekhyun. A massive, shaggy beast with dark fur and a long muzzle. Baekhyun rose and smiled, hands clapping together with the speed of a branch of poplar leaves in a fierce zephyr. It seemed so obvious now: Baekhyun had never been anywhere near as big as Chanyeol's wolf, or as grand. Chanyeol's wolf form carried one of the two quarries alone, but instead of leaving the dead dear at the fire for the Omegas to skin and prepare for dinner, Chanyeol dragged the creature past the crowd and right up to Baekhyun's feet.

The Omega blinked.

In a moment, in the place where a wolf had just existed stood a tall, lean, muscular man who wore a face Baekhyun knew well. Chanyeol's hair was tousled and his skin glistened in the firelight with a glaze of sweat, a smudge of blood brushed across his cheek.

And then it hit the Omega: the smaller was slammed with a foreign wave of power and sheer authority. A raw, somewhat course ache of dominance washed over Baekhyun and he caught his first whiff of Chanyeol's hearty, impeccable Alpha scent.

"Chanyeol," he breathed, taking a flabberghasted, quaky step back. "You smell - "

Like honey and sugar and roses and warm blankets and wet dirt and fermented oranges and maple and pine.

" - different."

Chanyeol grinned - it was his signature smile. A reflection of the sun broke across his face and showcased dazzling teeth and the most amicable air of humbleness ever beheld. The - Alpha! - took a step forward, his feet stopped by the dead deer on the ground. "Do I? You smell - different - too."

Baekhyun responded Chanyeol's smile and chuckled. "Look at you! Big Alpha wahh...how was the hunt? Did you have fun?"

Chanyeol didn't respond right away. He seemed uncharacteristically distracted, eyes sinking back into a dark pool in his pretty, almond eyes. 

"Chanyeol?"

The Alpha, without breaking eye contact with the Omega, sunk to a crouch behind the dead deer and pushed the animal towards Baekhyun earnestly. "I made my first kill. It's for you, Baekhyun."

The Omega blinked again, still smiling. "Oh Chanyeol can I prepare it? Please? I'll skin it for you. Would you let me? I know it's your first kill and all but can I?"

Chanyeol's grin widened. His chest seemed to lift and he sighed, it sounded, contentedly. "Of course. I want you to do it. It's yours."

Baekhyun shook his head. "Psh. It's a kill for the whole pack!"

"It's for you."

The Omega laughed and patted Chanyeol's shoulder, wanting him to come up from his kneeling position below him. "You know I can't eat a whole deer. No one here can...except for maybe you."

"We can share it," Chanyeol instantly blurted. 

"Well yeah we'll share it." Baekhyun put his hands around the hind legs of the deer and began to pull at it - but alas, he was not strong enough. "Hey Chanyeol could you help me pull - "

The Alpha stood and swiftly hoisted the deer with his own bare hands, throwing it over his shoulder and all the while eyes did not leave Baekhyun for a moment. The Omega cleared his throat.

"Cool. Okay. Wow, you're really strong, Chan."

"You think so?" The Alpha's voice lifted with excitement. Baekhyun nodded. Chanyeol's eyes sparkled. "Thank you, Baekhyun. I always feel stronger when I'm around you."

Someone off to the side cleared their throat and Chanyeol's face flushed a deep shade of pink, though Baekhyun was sure at the time that it was only the hue of the cookfires that made his friend's face seem that way.

That was the start of it.

 

~

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol had slept in the same den for as long as Baekhyun could remember even though traditionally, once an Omega became mature he would go sleep with the other unmated Omegas in an Omega den. Single Alphas slept alone, and once an Alpha was named as such, it was inevitable.

"I want to stay with Baekhyun," Chanyeol asserted to the Head Alpha. His voice was stern and sure, but the Head Alpha looked doubtful.

"No Chanyeol," was the only reply.

"Head Alpha - "

"It's not appropriate for you two to sleep together like this. You're an Alpha Chanyeol, and it is your duty to sleep alone so you can be up and about when needed without disturbing others until you find a mate."

At this, both Alphas exchanged a glittery look that Baekhyun could not decipher. He stood by watching them, eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

"Until I find a mate..." muttered Chanyeol, the edges of his lips quirking up. The Head Alpha chuckled and put a firm hand on the subordinate's shoulder.

"Now is not the time," Head Alpha mumbled warningly under his breath. Chanyeol seemed to deflate a tad, but then he looked over to where Baekhyun stood.

"I'm confused," complained the Omega. And he was - he was more astonished than confused, actually. Never before had Chanyeol sounded so professional, so decisive. He figured it must be all those Alpha hormones, because the Chanyeol he was used to would never have been so confident.

The Alpha smiled softly and stepped up to the Omega - Chanyeol wrung his arms around Baekhyun's frame and pulled him close, squeezing him into a tight hug against his firey hot chest. Baekhyun beamed and returned the hug while in Chanyeol's radically new and heavy scent. It was a traditional hug of theirs and something they would do every night before heading to bed. It was nothing special. Or so Baekhyun thought.

Chanyeol seemed to hold on just for a moment too long before releasing his friend. A grin splashed across the smaller's face and he reached far up to ruffle Chanyeol's already unruly hair with a giggle. "Goodnight Chan!"

The Alpha reached out and softly brushed one silky tuft of hair on the side of Baekhyun's head. "Goodnight Baekhyun."

Head Alpha grunted - in disapproval? Baekhyun didn't get it. He also didn't understand why Chanyeol was so soft-spoken as of now. He expected Chanyeol to be bouncing around with joy and blabbing his head off about all the cool things he saw on the hunt. Maybe he was still experiencing the after effects of the meditation this morning, and was just a little dazed by all of his new senses and chemicals in his brain or something like that. Baekhyun remembered after his ceremony he went around ready to burst out crying at any moment, wanting to give a hug to every dominant in sight, and having an odd desire to kiss everyone. 

Head Alpha stepped beside Baekhyun as well and put a friendly hand on his shoulder to direct him away from Chanyeol and towards the center of camp. "Go on now dear Baekhyun. The Omegas are over there."

"S-Sleep well Baekhyun!" called Chanyeol.

Baekhyun just chuckled and bounded away.

 

~

 

Baekhyun awoke alone - it was a rare phenomenon. Most days, almost every day since his boyhood, he'd been waking with his nose buried in Chanyeol's armpit or with Chanyeol's body thrown over his own or something of that sort. Baekhyun's eyes groggily craned open and he grumbled and nuzzled his nose into the thick furns beneath his body. The scents of the other Omegas swarmed his head in a flock of perpetual sugariness and Baekhyun couldn't help but wrinkle his nose. Omegas liked each other very much, but too much Omega and Baekhyun's head spun. He hiked himself onto his elbows, belly against the pelts. His bangs dropped in front of his eyes and when he puffed out a breath they flew up - only to fall back again. 

The Omega den was empty save for him alone - Baekhyun hadn't slept well the previous night and knew he'd slept in. He wasn't sure why really. He remembered that no matter how much the other single Omegas cuddled him, he never found himself comfortable or whole or warm. Baekhyun had stayed up and squirmed about long past the rise and advancement of the stars that night, past the smothering and burning out of the fires and past the times when pack members took turns going out to stir them going again. He'd only fallen asleep to the soft breathing and sighing of the others when he ran out of things to think about. But there really was no running out of thinking about his best friend - he thought about Chanyeol a lot. He thought about what it must have been like to be deemed an Alpha. He thought about why it was so inappropriate for them to stay in the same den anymore. He thought about the look that Chanyeol and Head Alpha had exchanged earlier. He thought about how good the roasted venison tasted last night and the weird looks Chanyeol kept giving Baekhyun from across the campfire. He hoped Chanyeol was doing better today.

Baekhyun dug around the piles of furs and pelts and found his deerskin tunic, pulling it on all the while brushing his hair out of his eyes every few seconds and grumbling something about Omegas and "why do they have to keep touching my hair all the time gosh".

Baekhyun slid out of the Omega den and into the vicious light of the gleaming day and, wondering what chores the others saved for him, Baekhyun blinked, separating his lashes, yawned, and took a step forward - 

"Oof!"

"Good morning Baekhyun!"

"Ch...Chanyeol?"

Baekhyun looked up to the human tower's face - his smile gleamed brighter than the morning sun, apparently. He was dressed differently today - his tunic was trimmed and longer, a rabbit fur over his shoulder and beads and teeth were sewn into the skin around the waist, tailoring to his slim figure. Baekhyun lips quirked up in approval.

"You...combed your hair today," mumbled Baekhyun. The Omega didn't think Chanyeol had ever combed his hair before in his life. Chanyeol looked less boyish today in his new uniform and with that incredible smell... "It looks nice."

Chanyeol's smile grew and he brushed his shiny bangs to the side proudly, but awkwardly. "Thank you Baekhyun. You look nice today too."

The Omega frowned and gave the Alpha an incredulous look through his raggedy hair, then broke out into a grin a moment after. "Whatever you say."

Baekhyun took a step to sidle around the Alpha, but Chanyeol sidestepped and blocked his way. Only then did Baekhyun notice the clump in the taller's hands. Chanyeol simpered somewhat sheepishly and held his hands out, unravelling his fingers to present what he carried. "Y-You missed breakfast, Baekhyun. But I saved the best cut just for you - I know you like the tenderloin...and...well I can't cook but the other Omegas helped me and well I...I had them season it with your favorite herbs...with cumin and basil and garlic powder."

A whiff of the meat swathed up to Baekhyun's nose and he started salvating...but it also smelled a lot like Chanyeol's scent -

"Wow! It smells amazing!" Baekhyun excalimed, leaning forward and sniffing deeper. "But...where did you get garlic powder? We ran out last night."

Chanyeol shifted. "Uh...well on my morning run earlier today I found some garlic mustard weed and well I brought some back and I might have asked the Omegas to help make some more garlic powder...yeah."

Baekhyun stood straight again, gasping. "You're allergic to mustard weed! You didn't touch your eyes afterward, did you?"

Chanyeol laughed awkwardly and turned his nose away. "Maybe..."

So that's why his cheeks and eyelids were swollen. But Baekhyun didn't find it in him to be pitying and the Omega burst out laughing, chortling with amusement. Chanyeol's cheeks flushed a wonderful rose color and he cleared his throat with difficulty. Baekhyun clutched his stomach and collapsed to the ground in a dangerous fit of laughter, hiccuping with howls of laughter. Nearby pack members turned to his racket, curious. He rolled onto his back as his belly quaked with clenches of cackles, eyes squeezed shut.

And then the warmth of the sun on his face disappeared. Still giggling, Baekhyun opened his eyes and found Chanyeol's serene face just above his. In fact, Chanyeol's entire body was hovering above Baekhyun's, loosely caging him against the dirt. Sunrays floated past the Alpha's face and around the shadow he cast onto the Omega, silhouetting the larger and his soft eyes.

Baekhyun snickered and pointed up to Chanyeol's face. "Your eyelids are swollen."

"Oh."

Chanyeol didn't seem to be listening. He only smiled lightly. Baekhyun's hand fell over his own chest as he gasped for breath and pushed past more sniggers. "Oh boy, I'm dying," he chuckled. Their eyes met then - Chanyeol was completely unmoving and he watched Baekhyun smile and pant for air, at least until the smaller stilled and only lay there grinning. "What?" he asked.

Chanyeol paused, hesitated, then opened his mouth to speak - 

"Chanyeol the venison!" Baekhyun exclaimed, interrupting and twisting about and looking around Chanyeol's body because dang, he was hungry. "Where did it go?"

Chanyeol sighed with a coy smile. "Over there."

"Over where?"

"There."

"There where?

"Right there."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and flapped his hands at the larger. "Well shoo shoo off big Alpha and let me eat." After a moment's pause, Baekhyun shyly added, "Please?"

It had only briefly come to Baekhyun's attention that now that Chanyeol was deemed an Alpha - and himself an Omega - the submissive would have to begin exercising correct respect towards his superior. It was supremely odd putting himself appropriately below his best friend, the wolf boy he'd grown up with as an equal, now as a subordinate. It felt...wrong.

When Chanyeol again took too long to reply Baekhyun sat up and pushed past the Alpha to reach for the wrapped bundle of meat on the ground, but the Alpha snatched it quicker. The Omega sent him a perplexed look as he settled into a cross-legged position. Chanyeol kneeled across from him. "Are you okay Chan?" asked Baekhyun, raising a brow.

"I'll feed you," the Alpha blurted.

"Why?"

"Food always tastes better when it's fed to you."

Baekhyun smirked, ready to burst into another fit of giggles. "What?"

But nonetheless, he eagerly spread his mouth wide as Chanyeol ripped off a piece of the venison cut and carefully placed it in the Omega's mouth. Baekhyun figured that this was standard Alpha-Omega behavior. Of course it was. Baekhyun used to feed Chanyeol berries when they were younger, it was only assumed that their roles would be exchanged now. 

The flavors of the spice-laden meat burst across Baekhyun's tongue and he closed his eyes, savoring the silky pulls of the venison as it melted on his tongue. It could only have been Kyungsoo's cooking - no other Omega cooked like this, but only Chanyeol knew Baekhyun well enough to know exactly what he wanted. He moaned with delight and rolled his lips together. "Wow Chanyeol!" he exclaimed, clapping his hands together. "It's delicious!"

Chanyeol smiled and tore off another piece as he inched forward until his and Baekhyun's knees were touching. Baekhyun closed his eyes and opened his mouth again, but when his mouth closed on what he expected to be venison, his lips instead came down on something, smoother, longer, and firmer. The Omega opened his eyes and saw that Chanyeol's finger was still in his mouth.

Chanyeol was staring at him.

And so was everyone else.

They all lurched their heads away when they noticed Baekhyun noticing them, pretending as if they hadn't been watching. The Omega pulled his head away from Chanyeol's hand until he could chew his own food without the Alpha's finger between his teeth. The smaller awkwardly chewed in silence, and when he was done, Chanyeol hadn't moved a centimeter. He still sat with his hand outstretched and eyes wide in exasperation.

Baekhyun frowned. "Chanyeol, are you alright? You don't seem yourself. If you're not feeling well you should go lie down, I can feed myself - "

"I'm fine."

"...are you sure?"

Chanyeol flashed his famous grin for reassurance. "I'm sure. You're very considerate, Baekhyun, for thinking about me."

"I think about you all the time Chanyeol."

The Alpha's smile grew, mouth dropping open, as if he was an excited puppy. "Really? You do?"

"Of course I do. You're my best friend."

Chanyeol's face wilted a little. "Oh. Yeah."

"Chanyeol you're not talking like yourself. Maybe go back to bed for a litttle while - "

But the Alpha was already shaking his head. He shifted and scooted closer to Baekhyun until they were sitting beside each other, hips meeting. Baekhyun lifted his brows at Chanyeol's longing look and the swirling pools in his eyes. "Chanyeol?"

The wolf lifted the wrap of venison. "Let's finish breakfast first, eh?"

 

~

 

Despite having awoken near midday, Baekhyun could not evade his chores. Answering to Kyungsoo, Baekhyun was sent down to the creek with a wicker hamper full of dirty clothing and bars of soap that others had made just that morning. Baekhyun liked to make soap and candles and paper (he didn't have the patience to make baskets or weave mats or anything like that), but the keeping of the camp, cleaning and cooking and such, he avoided as often as was possible.

Chanyeol insisted on following him down to the creek, and so the two strolled through the woods together with the Omega in the lead. Baekhyun tried to make conversation, but it was difficult when his friend kept leaning forward and sticking his nose in the back of the smaller's head. Baekhyun giggled and swatted behind him to wave Chanyeol's face away. "That tickles Chanyeol!"

The hair on the back of his neck prickled and Baekhyun sensed the taller's eyes on him - he turned his head as he walked and then stopped, noticing what Chanyeol was holding.

A boquet of wildflowers.

"Oh Chanyeol, those are wonderful," said the Omega half-interestedly. "Those blue flowers look nice by your skin." He smiled, proud of his pure Omeganess, and turned to keep walking.

"Baekhyun?"

"Hm?"

Chanyeol large, hot hand wrapped around his shoulder and halted him. The Omega's wide eyes faced Chanyeol's and glittered with wonder in the golden midday light. Chanyeol's face was flushed and he seemed to be holding his breath. The sun through the foliage and leaves above casted artistic, abstract shadows across the taller's face, his dark irises glowing in the reflective light. Chanyeol tugged Baekhyun gently closer and squeezed his shoulder as his eyes flickered all across Baekhyun's face. The smaller tilted his head. "Chanyeol?"

The Alpha reached out with his hand and ran his fingers through Baekhyun's hair, his thumb caressing the other's cheekbone. Baekhyun had a sudden, odd inclination to lean into his friend's hand and kiss his thumb, but that would have seemed weird. Yes. It definitely would have been weird. Chanyeol would have been weirded out. Definitely weird. Weird inclination. Yeah. Weird.

Smiling, Chanyeol then took a pair of little yellow-petaled flowers out of the boquet and slipped them behind Baekhyun's ear. He tucked Baekhyun's hair behind his ear as well then petted his head as his fingers combed through the smaller's short locks. "Baekhyun..." he started, voice on the verge of cracking, but he cleared his throat. "I...I know that...Baekhyun..." He cleared his throat once again. "I think you're very pretty."

"Aw, thank you Chanyeollie. I think you're pretty too." He pursed his lips and held back a laugh, but only ended up snorting, and turned to keep walking. But Chanyeol took a step forward and stopped him again, mouth open and ready to speak. The Alpha's eyes steeled and darkened, firm muscles visibly tensing.

"Baekhyun."

It was as if the word went silent - the only thing the Omega could hear was the echo of Chanyeol's voice and the adamant, clear way he said his name. Baekhyun. The Omega shivered and felt his knees quake - Chanyeol spoke his name as if it was the title of a nameless gust of wind, said his name with the strength of a buffalo pounding the earth, with the fierceness of a white tailed buck dancing through the snow, with the pulsing energy that came with the masses of salmon that migrated in the fall and the safety and peace of koi fish in a pond. Chanyeol had never said Baekhyun's name like that before. No one had ever said Baekhyun's name like that before.

Baekhyun shuddered. It was Chanyeol's Alpha voice, his dominant authority that caused submissives to tremble. It was the first time Baekhyun had ever heard Chanyeol speak like that.

Chanyeol breathed low and heavy and the Omega could tell that he was watching him intently, ears flicking, nose twitching, invisible tail flicking; Chanyeol's inner wolf energy was exploding within him. For a moment Baekhyun wondered if the Alpha would spontaneously change into a wolf. It wasn't uncommon for Alphas to lose control like that; it happened when they were overly angry, happy, or lustful.

"Baekhyun," Chanyeol repeated, "I'm an Alpha now. And...you're an Omega."

"So?"

"And as you're well aware I'm sure, we have been close for a very, very long time."

"Of course."

"And...well now that we're both adults and have come of age..."

"No need to be so serious Chanyeol. Where's that happy virus?" Baekhyun shrugged.

The words seemed to get choked up in the taller's throat. Chanyeol blinked, hesitated, and then sighed. The Alpha held the boquet of flowers out to the other with a smile. "Nevermind. I picked these for you Baekhyun. I think they're beautiful...like you."

Baekhyun grinned. "Thanks. But you can carry them Chanyeol, I have this laundry."

He turned and skipped through the brush, trying to ignore the hammering of his heart. Out of the corner of his eye the flowers bounced behind his ear and flashed in the sunlight - they really were quite handsome.

 

The creek hustled and rushed with power and flow, and the freshness of the air and bite of wet mud and grass swirled in the air. Baekhyun skipped down to the water's edge humming absentmindedly, and came to his knees with the basket in hand. He smiled and dipped his hand into the chilly water as the crystalline ran over his knuckles and splashed up onto his arm. The stenches of the dirtied clothing wafted up to his nose and the Omega scowled, but reached into the hamper and pulled out a garment. The simple act of the scrubbing and soap became a rhythm to the song Baekhyun hummed and moments later Chanyeol appeared out of the trees behind him. The Alpha came and stood beside the kneeling Omega in silence, flowers still in hand. Baekhyun scrubbed the clothing and rolled it over the stones at the bottom of the creek, over the multicolored pebbles and -

And then he remembered his collection of pebbles he had saved in his pouch. Baekhyun finished washing the grime out of the tunic and dipped it a few final times in the water before standing. He sensed Chanyeol's watchful eyes - maybe having some fun and skipping stones would perk his friend up. Baekhyun wasn't sure what to think of Chanyeol's bizarre behavior but could only hope that he'll cheer up soon. The Omega reached into his pouch and his fingers twiddled around, collecting all the little stones. With the pebbles in hand, Baekhyun faced the Alpha - Chanyeol's eyes glowed with wonder. Baekhyun opened his mouth and was about to divvy up the collection so they could both skip rocks, but stopped. 

By now the both of them have come of age. Baekhyun was an Omega: he had chores to do. Chanyeol was an Alpha - Baekhyun wasn't meant to share with him anymore, he was just expected to give. Maybe Chanyeol didn't want to skip stones with him. It would be a perfect example of an Alpha exercising his dominant superiority. Baekhyun's purpose now wasn't just to have fun and frolic around - he was purposed with making others happy and doing what he was told.

He dropped the stones in the Alpha's open hand and mumbled, "I picked them up for you yesterday. For skipping."

With that the Omega shifted away from the Alpha and went back to his knees, hands curling around the tunic he was cleaning. He wrung the water out tightly, with a firm fist. Chanyeol crouched beside him and held out his pebble-laden palm. "Come, we'll skip them together. You're better than I am."

Baekhyun could practically hear him smile. "No. You go Channie."

"But we always skip stones together."

"I have to do the laundry. I can't play now."

"What do you mean? Baek, you never miss out on an opportunity to play."

"I'm an Omega. You're an Alpha, so you should go on without me. I have...chores..."

"Well I have chores too but you don't see me worrying about them."

Baekhyun looked up at him. "You should."

"No, I shouldn't worry. And you shouldn't either." Chanyeol reached for Baekhyun's wrists gently and tugged the fur blanket from his grasp to drop it in the grass beside them. Chanyeol, smiling, pulled Baekhyun up off of his knees and led him a few feet away to a still alcove in the stream. "There will always be time for chores - I can see that you're trying to adjust to all this new rank stuff, Baek." Chanyeol dropped a flat stone in the smaller's palm and turned Baekhyun around, then wrapped his arms around him from the back and fitted his enormous mitt over Baekhyun's small one holding the pebble. "But I promise - just because we've officially come of age doesn't mean either of us has changed. I'm still me...you're still you."

His breaths fanned over the Omega's neck as he spoke in his lovely tenor, chocolate voice, eliciting from Baekhyun a warm sense of hominess. He recognized the taller's large frame behind his, cocooning him, because they often cuddled before going to sleep at night right up until Chanyeol's Kudos Epoch - Chanyeol always insisted on it, and Baekhyun always eagerly obliged. Yes, Chanyeol reminded Baekhyun of chocolate: rich and silky smooth, comforting and delicious. There was only one time when Baekhyun had ever eaten chocolate - a few years ago a group of foreign wolves had come down from a place called Belgium, bringing with them all sort of specialties the pack had never seen before. Such as chocolate. The pack had fallen in love with the commodity immediately, especially the Omegas, and especially Baekhyun. He particularly enjoyed an Italian hazel-chocolate sugar paste, so much so that the Belgians called him Nutella-Belly.

Chanyeol breathed heavily on Baekhyun's shoulder, his palm sweaty over the smaller's - after a moment he said, "Baek, you're scenting off like crazy. W-What are you thinking about?"

"Chocolate."

The Alpha giggled. "Chocolate makes your pheromones go whacky? You're so cute, Baekhyun."

"Well I'm thinking about chocolate but I'm also thinking about - " you. " - Hold on Chanyeol I have to do the laundry. Let me go, pabo." He swatted, laughing, at the taller's arms but Chanyeol held tight. The Alpha chuckled.

"Nuh uh. I've got you now, Baekhyun. You're going to show me how to skip a rock well."

"Psh. Is that supposed to be an Alpha demand?"

"Eh."

Baekhyun smiled to himself - something in him was exceedingly relieved, and proud, that Chanyeol wouldn't be usuing his Alpha dominance on him. Sometimes fresh Alphas got cocky and used their power over all submissives as the start of a habit and it was disconcerting for many Omegas. But Chanyeol wasn't like that - not Baekhyun's best friend.

"Oh Channie, we've been skipping rocks ever since we were babes. I'm sure you're much better than I am."

"You're only saying that because you think you have to...because you're an Omega and I'm an Alpha."

"...well yeah. I'm obviously much better than you." He cackled and relaxed some of his weight back onto Chanyeol's chest, blissful.

"Um...Baekhyun, there's something I want to talk to you about..."

"Nope nope nope nope. I won't hear of it Chanyeol - you've been acting strange lately, and I'm worried about you. No more serious talk. Okay? You should skip these rocks now."

"I'll only do it if you teach me how."

"But you know how."

"Teach me again."

"Then don't I have to stand behind you? To direct you how to do it?"

"No. I like it like this."

Baekhyun frowned - Chanyeol's bahavior was really starting to worry him. "Chanyeol...you've been real clingy lately. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm perfect just like this."

Baekhyun grunted, but decided to amuse Chanyeol and reteach him how to skip a stone. Chanyeol's wrist curled around the smaller's as he went over the flick of the hand and shape of the fingers, Baekhyun prodding at the taller's fist when he proved incorrect. The Omega leaned into Chanyeol's body and had the Alpha curve around him to mimic the best posture as he narrated their movements. Chanyeol never once interrupted - Baekhyun felt somewhat stupid, because he knew for a fact Chanyeol knew how to do all of this, but he didn't care. He chuckled when Chanyeol's thighs tickled against the back of his own and grinned when the taller's voice vibrated against his back. Baekhyun flicked his wrist as Chanyeol held it and the stone went flying - due to the Omega's charmed skills the pebble bounced on the water several times, and then they both pretended that Chanyeol had done it.

When they separated Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol skipped a handful of rocks perfectly fine, each catching three or four times on the water. He applauded the Alpha, then picked up a stone and watched as it skipped nine times on the surface, down the creek.

Baekhyun held back a smug snort. "You did really good, Channie," he mused, albeit through a stifled laugh.

Chanyeol gazed at the water's surface, at the bubbling of the creek beyond the little alcove and at the mosaic patterns of the stones at the bottom. Baekhyun skipped up beside him and tapped his elbow, tickling. "Hey Channie?" Immediately the Alpha focused in on him, eyes wide and longing. Baekhyun grinned. "Don't be so serious, pabo!" 

The Omega's fingers lashed out to his friend's sides and they began frolicking over his skin and up towards his armpits. Chanyeol convulsed with a burst of laugher and squirmed around, sensitive to Baekhyun's experienced tickling fingers. Baekhyun, like his rock-skipping skills, seemed to be uncannily good at tickling, and often ravished his abilities on his best friend. Chanyeol was the best test subject because he laughed a lot anyways and also happened to be extremely ticklish.

"B-B-B-Baek! Baekhyun! S-Stop! Baekhyun!" he guffawed, laughing his head off. The Omega grinned and laughed along - he loved hearing Chanyeol laugh. He was also internally entertained by the way Chanyeol looked like he was crying when he was laughing and vice versa. It was hilarious.

"Oh, that's it!" Chanyeol announced before spinning out of Baekhyun's hands and jumped on the smaller himself. Baekhyun squealed and hiccuped, falling helplessly into the Alpha's arms as the taller's large hands danced up and down his sides and up by his collarbones where he knew Omegas, Baekhyun especially, were sensitive. Baekhyun howled with laughter and tried to swat the Alpha away.

The problem with Baekhyun constantly exercising his tickling skills on Chanyeol was that, inevitably, Chanyeol became quite experienced himself. Mutual tickle fights were very, very common.

In a lame attempt to escape the tickle torture Baekhyun collapsed to his knees to crawl away, but Chanyeol's senses as a natural predator had sharpened since becoming an Alpha and he recognized the move immediately, dropping to a crouch so he could catch the Omega in his arms and cocoon him in a tickling mess. Playfully spiteful, Baekhyun reached out to try and tickle the other back, but Chanyeol's arms were just so long.

"Channie! Channie! Chanyeol! Chanyeol! Ch- O-Okay! I'm done! I'm done!"

"I'm not!" exclaimed Chanyeol happily, and he continued to pursue Baekhyun's delicious laughter.

"Chanyeol! HahA AH HAhAAHA Chanyeol!"

"Okay, okay," the Alpha conceded, giggling to himself. He sat back and allowed Baekhyun to finally breathe, but when Baekhyun got ready to stand up Chanyeol yipped and pounced on the smaller again, pushing his shoulders to the grass. The air was nearly knocked out of the Omega's lungs and he instinctually spread his body out further - it was minimal, and Chanyeol didn't seem to notice it, but Baekhyun did.

He looked at the Alpha with wide, wet eyes. "Uh...Chanyeol?"

After a moment Chanyeol's previously frisky eyes softened. Chanyeol gulped, eyes apologetic, before he slid off of Baekhyun and crouched by him in the grass. The Omega immediately sat up and faced him, worrisome. "Chan?"

"I'm sorry, Baekhyun. I couldn't help it." He smiled and shrugged, embarrassed. "My Alpha wolf just...needed to...well it was all riled up and...and you're...it's just that my wolf really likes - "

"It's okay. I understand."

"No my wolf likes y - "

"You're an Alpha, it makes sense."

"My wolf just really likes yo - "

"Don't worry about it, Chan."

Chanyeol blinked, staring at him, and then sighed. "Baekhyun...I...I have something to say."

Sobered up from his feistiness and intruiged, the Omega inched closer. "Yeah?"

"I just...we've always been friends. As long as I can remember we've been equals, at least until your Kudos Epoch and especially mine. And I want to still view you as an equal, I want to see you the same as I always have."

Somewhere inside Baekhyun his heart sank a little - here it was, the talk. Not the talk, the one about and hormones and mating, but the talk that Baekhyun had been wanting to avoid with Chanyeol since their Kudos Epoch. He didn't want to talk about their ranks, didn't want to talk about the past and how it was going to change. Things could still stay the same they've always been, right? Of course. Nothing had to change. They could still be best friends and not have to heed to all that Alpha-Omega stuff that would inevitably separate them. Baekhyun didn't want to be separate from Chanyeol, he liked being equal and one with him.

But that would have to change.

Chanyeol continued, "Well to explain - because I'm an Alpha I start viewing things in very black and white terms. I've noticed this already. Something is either a predator, an enemy, prey, something to protect, or...something to...take care of. What happened just now was my wolf flexing inside of me, and he sort of saw you as...prey?" He checked Baekhyun's eyes to make sure he was still listening, because Baekhyun had a minute attention span, and then went on. "I know you want to be my equal. We're still close and we still have a, a history, and I want to see you as an equal! I really do! But..."

"Yeah?"

Chanyeol's cheeks flushed and his voice began growing quieter. "I...I have to admit..."

"Admit what? Chanyeol you can tell me anything, don't worry about it."

"But I know that it might bother you."

"It won't, not if it's coming from you."

Chanyeol took a deep breath, brow creasing with regret. "It's just that I really really like it when you're...um...submissive. My wolf...he likes it when you're giggly and cute and all soft and...other stuff. He really likes the idea of you doing what I say and the...the idea of...of dominating you. I'm sorry. I just can't help it. And I tell my wolf that no, it's not okay to think like that, but the thing is that we're the same being and he is me so...it's difficult to deny him his dreams becasue they're kind of mine too."

"Chanyeol, are you ashamed of this?" asked Baekhyun gently. 

The Alpha glanced at him, and shrugged.

"You shouldn't be," Baekhyun followed, a smile growing on his lips. "It's okay. You're an Alpha and that's normal for you - especially since I'm a submissive. It's completely natural."

"But how do you feel about being dominated?"

"Well I've never really been dominated before. And I've never needed or been forced to submit - I've never submitted wholly for anyone before because we have such nice pack dynamics." Baekhyun scooted closer. "Others in our pack have told me that other packs in the region and in the world are not as fortunate as ours - the divide between submissives and dominants is greater. Omegas have to submit all the time in other places." Baekhyun hoped that Chanyeol didn't notice his shudder as he said this. "But no one is coming up to me and saying "hey get on your knees and show me your neck". And you've never taken advantage of me since we've been together. Unless it's tickle fights. You take advantage of my small size for that." He grinned. "Chanyeol I don't mind being a submissive - I like it, actually. I like being an Omega. It feels right. A part of me is always ready to submit, and even though it's natural for me I still have to get used to it. I'm still finding my footing. But I'm sure you are too. If you want to tell me what to do or want me to ask for your help whenever I need something, I'll do it." Although, Baekhyun already did go to Chanyeol and no one else when he needed help. It boosted an Alpha's pride when he felt needed.

"But would you feel that I'm being controlling or condescending or unfair?"

"The world is unfair, isn't it?" Baekhyun laughed lightly. "We're werewolves, Channie. We have hyper instincts, do we not? You and I are equal, can be equal, in many ways but our instincts guide us to our greatest bliss. Balance, right? Submissives need dominants to lead and dominants need submissives for peace. So you'll be the leader and I'll be the peacemaker."

"You're the loudest member of our pack."

Baekhyun giggled and waved his hand. "Details, details."

Chanyeol chuckled along with him, and then softened. "So...if I need to flex my dominance every once in a while...you wouldn't mind?"

"Not at all. Flex it all the time if you want, Chanyeol. I'm okay with it."

"Thank you, Baekhyun."

If only Baekhyun could eat his own words. Yes, he was okay with it, but it wouldn't change anything, would it? It wouldn't separate them in any way, would it? 

Would it?

 

Baekhyun quickly got back to his laundry duties, blabbing on and on about a dream he had last night and why he thinks some Omegas can actually read minds as Chanyeol stood by, skipping stones and listening intently to ever lilt and giggle of Baekhyun's voice. Every few minutes, as Baekhyun scrubbed the clothes with soap and grated them against the pebbly stream bed, rolled the dirt and grime out of the skin and fabric, Chanyeol would come over, examine the flowers behind Baekhyun's ear, and then replace them with new, differently colored ones. Baekhyun paid him no mind, distracted by his own ramblings and the emptying hamper. Chanyeol followed him when he went to the treeline to drape the textiles over low hanging branches, this time going on about why squirrels were so difficult to catch and "wow what must it be like to live in trees I mean seriously I wonder what it's like to be up so high".

"Chanyeol, you're sure you're okay?" asked Baekhyun once again as Chanyeol tucked new flowers behind his ear, a short while later after the garments have all been washed.

The Alpha smiled and his face softened as he twiddled with a piece of Baekhyun's hair. "Never been better."

"Are you sure you don't need to go hu - hunt - or some - " Baekhyun's eyes widened momentarily before he let out a great big sneeze, ticked by the pollen swarming his head. He shook his head and wiggled his nose before continuing. " - Are you sure you don't need to go hunt or something?"

"Not today."

"Well...I'm...I'm heading back to the camp. You can stay here if you want to."

Chanyeol quickly sidled up to the smaller and placed a gentle, moving hand in the middle of Baekhyun's back, pushing him forward with a handle of Alpha strength. "No, no, I'll come back with you, love."

"If you say so. But I'm coming back later to pick up this stuff when it dries." His hands brushed over a fur pelt as Chanyeol directed him away from the river. The smaller sensed Chanyeol's broad chest up against his back, and found comfort in the familiarity by relaxing into his hand.

Unexpectedly, though, as soon as he did so, the taller's arm dipped down below Baekhyun's knees, and with a yelp the Omega was hoisted up into the Alpha's hot, strong arms. "Whoa whoa whoa Chanyeol! What are you doing? Um...maybe just...let me down...no no I can walk by myself - "

"I want to carry you," stated the Alpha as he moved forward briskly through the woods, eyes forward.

"Chanyeol, you must be sick or something. Really, I can - "

"I'm not sick."

"It's like you're in love with me, Chan!"

At this, Chanyeol halted abruptly in his step. Baekhyun had wrung his arms around the Alpha's neck, and could now feel the taller's firm chest expanding against his side, could feel the fingers around him tighten. The taller's brown eyes met Baekhyun's, and suddenly flashed amber in the noon sunlight, swirling with undecipherable emotions. Baekhyun tilted his head, and Chanyeol's face seemed to come closer.

"In love with you..." mused the Alpha. "You could say I'm...lovesick."

And then their noses were touching. Chanyeol's eyes were droopy and gazing into Baekhyun's - 

"AchOO!" 

Chanyeol let out a great gasp and jerked away, startled. "Oh god! Baekhyun! Your sneezes!"

The Omega giggled and sniffled. "Sorry. Pollen." Baekhyun flashed the other a thoroughly amused smile, and before Chanyeol could respond he called, "Well? Aren't you going to carry me home? Onward!"

Chanyeol grinned, hugged the Omega tighter, and took off through the trees.

 

~

 

Upon their return, Baekhyun still hanging in Chanyeol's arms, they found themselves under the intense stares of the entire pack. Some of the Omegas' eyes brightened and they smiled hopefully at their fellow submissive - why, Baekhyun did not know. Some of he Alphas were watching Chanyeol with frisky expressions. Baekhyun hopped out of the Alpha's arms and waved back at him. "Thanks for the lift, Channie! See you later!"

He frolicked away, and did not notice the collective, impatient sigh of all the others. Chanyeol simpered and shrugged towards the other dominants, who cringed in sympathy.

 

~

 

That night as the pack feasted on the leftover spoils of Chanyeol's Kudos Epoch celebration and hunt, Baekhyun sat in Chanyeol's lap, enveloped by the Alpha's arms. Though he enjoyed the warmth and comfort, it was difficult to uphold a conversation with Kyungsoo and Jongdae while Chanyeol kept squeezing him and sniffing his neck.

But Kyungsoo and Jongdae didn't seem to be listening - they glared at the other Omega, sitting in the Alpha's arms.

Chanyeol stuck his nose in Baekhyun's hair again as Baekhyun frowned at his companions and asked, "What are you two staring at? Oh, Jongdae, can you pass me some of that hen? Ah, Chanyeol that tickles!"

Jongdae smirked and reached for a spit over the fire on which a cornish game hen was roasting, but before he could grab it Chanyeol's thick, heavy, commanding Alpha tone - that still gave Baekhyun immediate, violent shivers - somersaulted into the ring of wolves and split the air. "No."

Everyone turned and a barrage of stares fell upon the Alpha - he spoke again, voice mufled against Baekhyun's skin; this time he didn't even have to use his Alpha voice. "Jongdae, put the fowl down please."

Startled, the Beta did as he was told and reeled back from the fire. Baekhyun shifted in Chanyeol's grip and tried to look back at the Alpha, but only when Chanyeol lifted the Omega up by his waist and turned him to his side, so he sat perpendicular on the taller's lap, could he meet the dominant's eyes. Baekhyun's immediate reaction was to lean in and cuddle in under those deep, mystified eyes, the ones that watched him with a burning intensity and held the woes of years and years of intimate friendship - his second instinctual reaction was to look away, to avoid the eyes of Chanyeol's sudden dominance and command.

Baekhyun ended up fidgeting and glancing around, doing a bit of both. "Okay well...so...okay. I'm still hungry though - "

Chanyeol's suddenly firm gaze shushed him. Baekhyun froze, Omega instincts grinding him to a halt. He was sensitive to the stares of everyone around them - they must have been bewildered by Chanyeol's new Alpha-self. That's probably why they were staring. Yeah.

Chanyeol's arm stretched past the Omega and he grappled for a cut of venison of the deer he had caught yesterday, and he came back with a slice of thick, juicy meat that had Baekhyun's attention immediately. Chanyeol handed it to the smaller and said lowly, "Here, Baekhyun...eat this."

Baekhyun took the venison in his hands, sniffed, and said cheerily, "Okay!" 

As he sank his teeth into the wet, hot meat, and the flavors spilled over his tongue Baekhyun did not notice the way Chanyeol hiked him further into his lap and wound his arms tighter around him, cradling the Omega as if he was a child. Across the cook fire, where Sehun sat with Kyungsoo's arms tightly around him, the other Alpha's eyes met with Chanyeol's. Sehun's pointedly widened his eyes, then flicked his head in the direction of Baekhyun with an insistent lift of his brows. The other Alphas watched as Chanyeol glanced from Baekhyun - who was very contentedly chewing on his dinner - back to his packmates, then back to Baekhyun. But all he did was cocoon the Omega and smile at the happy expression on the smaller's face. Kyungsoo sighed, purposefully impatient and expaserated.

"This is never going anywhere," he whispered to Sehun, clutching his Alpha's arm and leaning a head onto his shoulder. Beside them, the pack shaman chuckled under her breath and fanned the coals at the base of the fire.

"Be patient with them."

"Patience mustn't be mistaken for ignorance," Kyungsoo replied, "Chanyeol's patience will be the death of him." To which Head Alpha laughed.

At the sound of their leader's voice both Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked up, and Baekhyun turned his gaze to Kyungsoo. "Kyung? What? Huh?"

Head Alpha arose from his crouch and strode behind Chanyeol, patting the Alpha's shoulder and watching the smaller Omega glance around, confused. "It is nothing, little one. You will understand..." He smirked at Chanyeol, who scowled in return. "...eventually."

Baekhyun's wide eyes caught on Chanyeol's face as Head Alpha paced away from the fire. "Channie, what does he mean by that?"

The rest of the pack around the fire held their breaths -

And Baekhyun turned away from Chanyeol as the Alpha opened his mouth, observing his packmates with a pinched expression. "Why is everyone staring? Do I have something on my face?" He slapped his hands to his cheeks, ruffled, and then felt Chanyeol's soft, leathery fingers wrap around his, pulling his hands away from his face. The Alpha pressed the Omega's hands to his large chest, pressing them against his heart. "Chanyeol?" asked Baekhyun as he leaned away from Chanyeol's nearing face. "You're acting really strange - "

"Your face..." mused the Alpha, leaning forward. His hand slipped loose under Baekhyun, and in that moment the Omega's heart flared with an uncomfortable shock of electricity. He rolled out of Chanyeol's arms and scurried to his feet, though not completely aware of what was going on. Baekhyun stuttered and looked, panicked, into Chanyeol's warm, deep eyes - he tried to ignore the tight discomfort pooling behind his ribcage, the massive race of his heartbeat, and the heat spreading across his chest, particularly around his s, or the chill that burned at his lower back and down even further. These things combined sent shivers through him and he took an unsure step back.

"Baekhyun - " started Chanyeol, but Baekhyun laughed awkwardly and backstepped again.

"Uh...thanks for the dinner Chanyeol...I'll go to bed now...so...goodnight!"

Off he darted, winding around the dens until he could slip into the Omega den and bury himself under a pile of furs - his body was freaking out, working without his consent. Baekhyun hugged his stomach and traced circles with his fingers over his belly button to cool himself down. And what was all this Chanyeol stuff? Why was he acting so strange? Why was he being so disagreeable towards Baekhyun? What had Baekhyun done? He had only ever been Chanyeol's best friend, hadn't he?

This was exactly what Baekhyun hadn't wanted. He never wanted things to change.

Baekhyun worried himself to sleep before the other Omegas even came back to the den.

 

~

 

This went on for days.

Chanyeol's presence became even more constant than it had before the Kudos Epoch - Chanyeol simply was everywhere Baekhyun was. Chanyeol was there in the morning waiting outside the Omega den, was always there for a hug goodnight before bed, always followed Baekhyun around during his chores, and itched to play with the Omega whenever was possible. The numbers of gifts amounted: every time the dominants came back from a hunt Chanyeol always had some sort of beast to present to Baekhyun with a proud wag of his tail. There were flowers, beads, and blankets. Some nights Chaneol would sing to Baekhyun, serenade him with romantic-sounding pieces that had the Omega giggling. Chanyeol invited him on runs and hikes and swims in the river. It was cute, thought Baekhyun, but bizzare. There were even some heated moments when Chanyeol, for some reason the Omega could not fathom, wouldn't let Baekhyun play with Sehun or Yifan or any of the other Alphas. That night with Chanyeol, that one where he felt that incredibly odd and sensual feeling swarming his body reconciled with him every day, and every time he thought about it he couldn't help the shivers that came.

Too much, Baekhyun decided. It was too much.

 

~

 

Baekhyun carefully stirred the contents within firm wooden bowl, watching as the natural pigments dyed the river water pink, and in another bowl they were green, and another, blue. Deciding that the pink coloring wasn't quite deep enough, he reached over for a rich, red flower picked in a basket beside him. The petals were silky and cool between Baekhyun's fingers as he brought the flower down to a flat stone and began crushing the plant, dividing the parts and releasing an even brighter red color.

The camp today hummed with an anxious quiet - or maybe it was just quiet, and Baekhyun was the anxious one. He had decided to forget the happenings of that night, and although he had resolved to avoid Chanyeol, his heart twisted with a curiousity and need to know where the Alpha was and how he was feeling this morning. Baekhyun suspected Kyungsoo had picked up on his apprehension, and that was the reason why the head Omega assigned to Baekhyun a project he knew he would enjoy. Off to Baekhyun's side was an impressive pile of small wooden beads that the others had carved - Baekhyun's job today was to dye them all and burn designs into the grain. Baekhyun had settled himself closer to where Kyungsoo and the other Omegas were weaving intricate baskets or weaving tapestry-like cloths. The Omega could see his friends from where he sat off to the side, separated. Usually he spent all of his time with Chanyeol down by the river, but for a reason unbeknownst to Baekhyun the idea of being with a dominant was dizzying and nerve-wracking, so true to his nature he sought out the company of fellow submissives. He couldn't imagine what would cause such a feeling, because he usually never would have considered rubbing elbows with other Omegas when Chanyeol was around...

But where was Chanyeol, thought Baekhyun. He hadn't seen the Alpha all morning and hadn't left the camp at all. Breakfast had already come and gone and there was no sign of his friend.

Baekhyun collected the crushed flower and dropped it into the red-dyed bowl, then mashed the plant into the water and watched as the surface ripened a healthier pink. In a moment he began shoveling handfuls of beads into each pigment, observing as the pale wood began to darken.

He didn't notice Kyungsoo standing there waiting for his attention until the other Omega cleared his throat.

Baekhyun looked up with a startle, then smiled forcefully. "Hello Kyungsoo."

"Just thought I'd let you know that Chanyeol is stuck up in a tree down by the river and that it would probably be good if you went and helped him down."

"He...what?"

Kyungsoo exhaled a tired breath and pointed in the direction of the water. "You should go, Baekhyun."

Baekhyun hesitated, glancing down at his bowls of beads. He slowly began shaking head. "I have to stay here and - "

"Leave the beads to stain," Kyungsoo gently commanded. "Chanyeol really really needs you." He sighed and shook his head, wandering away mumbling, "Talk about two peas in a pod..."

Baekhyun watched him leave, then turned curious eyes in the direction of the river. In a moment he was up on his feet and pacing carefully through the trees, thoughtful. He patted his stomach as he walked and absently touched his waist and back as he remembered the way Chanyeol had been touching him these last few days.

"No!" he hissed to himself as he hopped over a log. "Pabo! Don't think like that...he's your friend. Friends don't think about each other that way..."

He heard Chanyeol and the racket he made before he saw the Alpha as he came up near the river, the crackle of the running water and scent of wet dirt flooding the air. There was the crack of a branch and the twittle of twigs breaking, and then one of Chanyeol's frustrated grunts. He soon came into view, and Baekhyun's mouth opened wide in a huge grin at what he saw.

There was Chanyeol, an Alpha werewolf, twenty feet up a tree, barely hanging onto the thinned tree limbs. His teeth were clenched in a focused grimace and he had his arm outstretched for a diamond-shaped contraption that Baekhyun quickly recognized as a kite. 

One of the branches upholding Chanyeol's massive weight snapped and the Alpha yelped and hugged the tree trunk, the whole thing swaying with his force. Baekhyun burst out laughing at the sight, shamelessly mocking the Alpha wolf despite himself. His eyes crinkled so tightly in his glee that he barely saw Chanyeol's shocked expression.

"B-Baekhyun!" He glanced around to his sides, then back down at the yowling submissive. "What are you doing here? I was going to come to you later..."

Baekhyun giggled breathlessly and replied, "Nah, this is so much better. Hehe, look at you! Never thought I'd ever see an Alpha wolf up a tree. Whoo! I've got to add this one to the books! The other Omegas will be so amused!" He laughed again and stepped forward, closer to the tree. Had the sun not been glinting in his eyes at the moment as he tried to look up to Chanyeol's form, he would have seen Chanyeol's uneasy scowl.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell the others about this..."

Another giggle. "Hm? Why not?"

Chanyeol glanced away. "It's not proper to see an Alpha like this. It's not...impressive. I'm sorry Baekhyun, I didn't really want you to catch me in such a state..."

Baekhyun skipped up to the base of the tree. "Why not Chanyeol? It's not like you have me to impress."

There was a pause. "Well actually..."

" - Because I'm  impressed with you already. You're my favorite Alpha, Chanyeol, and I think you're absolutely hilarious."

Baekhyun stopped there - he wondered momentarily if he was giving Chanyeol too many ideas, wondered if he had said to much. Hadn't he had just been saying that he wanted to mend their relationship? He quickly stuttered, "Ah, uh...I mean...You're a good friend of mine...just like always..."

"Hold on just one moment please Baekhyun, love. I can't hear you very well."

There was some rustlng up above and more grunts, snaps and cracks and groans, and then down Chanyeol came. Half of his descent may have been intentional  climbing, but the other half was undoubtedly just falling. Chanyeol landed on the ground - on his feet - with an oompf, brushing the needles and twigs and bark from his tunic. "I apologize for being so insufficient, Baekhyun," said Chanyeol without making eye contact. "It was inappropriate for an Alpha like me to - "

"Is that a kite?" asked Baekhyun, eyes raking up and down the craft. Chanyeol looked between the Omega and the kite, then nodded with a smile. 

"Yes. I made it for you. I was test flying it by the riverside and flew it a little too far into the trees." But before could hand it over, Chanyeol's eyes caught on several tears in the kite's fabric. He sighed. "But I cannot give it to you. I guess I broke it."

Baekhyun shook his head immediately and his hands reached out to the kite's edge. "No, it can still be mended. It's only a tear. I - regretably - know how to stitch. I can fix it."

Chanyeol shook his head. "That's not the point. It was supposed to be gift from me to you. It has to be perfect if it's supposed to be for you."

Baekhyun's expression turned incredulous. "Pefect? For little old me?" He patted Chanyeol's arm as he slipped the kite out of his grip. "It's just me. I'm nothing special - it doesn't have to be perfect. In fact it's probably good that there's a tear in it. It will give me some practice sewing. The last time I stitched I sewed a big hole into the blanket I was working on." 

Chanyeol looked at him. "You created a hole by sewing?"

"I'm a master of anti-chores." He finigered the kite's slim fabric and the way it was attatched to the impeccably carved sticks. Chanyeol must have put lots of effort into the project, because it was well-constructed and fitting. Baekhyun toyed with the torn fabric and mused, "But...why a kite? Did you suddenly have a craving for childhood days?"

Chanyeol's shoulders seemed to stiffen, but Baekhyun thought nothing of it. "Sort of. We used to make kites all the time together...I thought that maybe if I reintroduced you to things you and I liked to do years ago you would feel comfortable now with..."

"With what?"

Chanyeol's eyes grazed the Omega's face as if he was expecting something, something revolutionary perhaps. Baekhyun just shrugged. "Anyway, if you don't want me to tell the other Omegas I caught you stuck in a tree I won't."

"Oh. Thank you."

"But can I tell them?"

"No."

Baekhyun lifted the kite and held it up to the sunlight, watching as the golden rays illuminated natural patterns in the skin.

"There's another reason why I gift you a kite," said Chanyeol. "In werewolf culture the kite represents a livelihood inspired by both maturity and childishness. It is a symbol of acceptance and trust - trust between the wind, the kite, the string, the handler. Of course, it can mean acceptance and trust between other things too."

Baekhyun nodded. "Okay. I'll take this back to the camp and fix it, if that's okay with you."

Chanyeol's eyes slid shut and he smiled, laughing and shaking his head, though the Omega sensed that there was something off. Chanyeol reached out and tickled his fingers behind Baekhyun's ear with a chuckle.

Little did the Alpha know that as soon as his fingertips began touching that incredibly sensitive pressure point behind the smaller's ear, the Omega was wrecked inside. His cheeks flushed pink and he reflexively knocked his knees together and turned his head to the side, stretching his slim throat. The tips of his ears turned a bright red and he let out a hiss of pleasure. Immediately the Alpha stopped and stared, still as a stone. "B-Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun breathed hard and forced out a laugh. "U-Uh...heh...haha...don't d-do that again."

"Why not?" Chanyeol's fingers inched closer back to that patch of skin behind Baekhyun's ear, and as if electrocuted, Baekhyun leaped away.

"Because!" Then he said softer, "B-Because I asked you not to."

Baekhyun cursed his body - why couldn't he just be chill and normal? What was that heat at the back of his neck, and that strange prickle between his legs? This was bad, he told himself. It was really bad. Chanyeol had to be left alone and avoided until this was sorted out. He gripped the kite tighter in his fists. "I-I'm sorry Chanyeol. I..." He glanced in the direction of the camp as the Alpha stepped closer. "I have to finish my chores."

"Not quite yet, Baekhyun."

There was a suddden weight on top of the Omega's head, something soft prickling around his skull. Baekhyun glanced up and the object Chanyeol had just put on him. A smile broke his face. "A flower crown?"

Chanyeol nodded with a sun-rivaled grin and adjusted the hat. "Oh, you look absolutely stunning, Baek."

The Omega looked away and let his hand drop to his side. "What are you talking about, pabo?"

"A gift for you."

"Another one?"

"Yes, of course." Chanyeol stepped closer again, his large hands cupping the Omega's shoulders.

"But my birthday isn't until next May."

Chanyeol one of the flowers woven into the colorful crown, and his dark eyes pooled into Baekhyun's with a ferocioius seriousness. "They're not for your birthday. I gift them for another reason."

Baekhyun blinked, his submissiveness on the verge of being triggered by Chanyeol's closeness and severity. "Oh? What are they for then?"

Chanyeol the Omega's cheek with a fond thumb. "Baekhyun, I've been trying to say for a few days now, but they're for - "

"Alpha Chanyeol!"

Another Alpha voice broke through the trees and Chanyeol - instincually, Baekhyun assumed - tugged the Omega in and pinned him to his chest, turning his body to shield the smaller from the direction that the voice came from. Baekhyun hiccuped and suddenly found his face pushed right into Chanyeol's sternum, the Alpha's sweat and scent against his skin. Being so close he could hear the dominant's thick, pounding heartbeat and could feel the expansion of his chest with each breath. 

"Oh," he heard Chanyeol say - his wonderful baritone voice vibrated against Baekhyun's head and the Omega clenched his fists. "It's just you, Sehun."

There was a sigh and Sehun's voice, "What on earth are you doing over - uh, do you have an Omega there?"

Despite how incredibly warm and nice it felt being right there in the Alpha's arms Baekhyun couldn't help his curiosity and gently nudged his face around the Alpha's shoulder. "Hi Sehun," he called. The other Alpha raised a brow and glanced to Chanyeol.

"Well Chanyeol?"

Baekhyun felt Chanyeol shift, and then Sehun sighed and rolled his eyes.

"What?" asked Baekhun, craning his neck back to look at the Alpha next him, then back at Sehun. "What?"

"It's nothing."

Baekhyun sighed. "It's not nothing. Everyone has been acting very strangely these last few days and you all say it's nothing. It's like everyone is speaking a different language and leaving me out of the loop."

Sehun scoffed. "We're speaking the same language Baekhyun - you're just not uderstanding."

The Omega looked up to Chanyeol. "What about you? Do you understand?"

"He does," Sehun replied in Chanyeol's stead. "He understands perfectly."

Baekhyun frowned at his friend. "What? You do? What is Sehun talking about, Chan? What don't I understand? Please tell me."

Sehun waved a hand. "Later, Baekhyun. Chanyeol has to get ready to go now."

The smaller heard the Alpha groan and his arms loosened around him. The Omega was thoroughly confused now. "Huh? What? Why are you leaving? What for?" In his head he hoped he didn't sound as needy as he thought he did. Chanyeol smiled and patted his head.

"It's okay, love. There is a group of us going out to the border to greet some wolves from a few territories over. They've been trying to set up an alliance with us for years, so they've come to meet with us and come to an agreement. We're escorting them into our camp and they'll stay with us for a while."

"Oh..." Baekhyun wasn't well-versed in politics himself - they were hardly ever simple and sometimes created big messes. He ran his fingers over the front of Chanyeol's tunic. "Okay. Don't get into any big fights, now. You're just stupid enough to do that." He was about to laugh, but realized that he'd just blatantly insulted a dominant. He cleared his throat. "Uh...sorry Alpha. I didn't mean it like that."

Chanyeol continued his hair, and the Omega purred pleasantly. "Don't apologize. You meant it in fun."

Sehun coughed pointedly off to the side. "Well we still have to go, Chanyeol. Head Alpha wanted to leave before noon."

"Will do," replied Chanyeol as he let his arms fall from around Baekhyun. He stepped away. "I'll see you tonight Baek." He reached out to touch Baekhyun's neck, feeling around his throat fondly - 

"For god's sake, Chanyeol! Let's go!"

"Alright Sehun!" Chanyeol huffed. He glanced back once more at Baekhyun before turning and folowing the other Alpha through the trees, leaving Baekhyun still and silent on the spot. He ran his fingers over the silky yet paper-like texture of the kite, realizing the weight of the plant-laden flower crown atop his head.

"See you tonight Chanyeol," whispered Baekhyun to the warm breeze, not sure where his words were supposed to be going.

 

~

 

Later that night those strange tingles and sensitivity towards dominants came back to Baekhyun in a crashing wave - debilitated and lonely, Baekhyun found himself crawling into the Omega den where Kyungsoo sat in the corner meditating over a shawl he was weaving. Baekhyun groaned and curled up in the furs beside Kyungsoo's legs, burying his body in the comforting warmth...though Omega warmth was not the same as Chanyeol warmth. Every night consecutively the Omega rediscovered his longing to cuddle with his Alpha friend once again.

"Tired this early, Baekhyun? That's a rarity isn't it? I would've expected you to be running around camp yodeling without the Alphas around," said Kyungsoo as he eyed the top of Baekhyun's head.

The other sighed and his back, looking at Kyungsoo upside down with big eyes. The other Omega sat straight, head held high. His hands worked expertly on his project and his black hair shone in the lantern light. Baekhyun had always admired Kyungsoo; they had grown up together, though Kyungsoo had matured faster and had his Kudos Epoch at a young age. Kyungsoo was considered to be an example of a flawless Omega - and he really was great, and good friend. Even though Baekhyun wondered over Kyungsoo's perfection, he had never really wanted to be like the other Omega...until now.

"Kyungsoo?"

"Hm?" Baekhyun paused and Kyungsoo looked down at him. "Yes Baek?"

"I don't know...I feel weird."

Kyungsoo chuckled and went back to his weaving. "Weird how?"

Baekhyun sighed and rolled away from the other, dropping his hands onto his belly and staring up at the curved ceiling of the tent. "Can I ask you some qeastions? About being an Omega?"

"About being an Omega? But you are an Omega." Baekhyun turned his head to look at Kyungsoo and flashed his cutest, most pleading smile. Kyungsoo hesitated and then shook his head. "Oh my, Baekhyun. Ask away."

There was a deep, heavy breath, and then Baekyun rattled off: "What does a Heat feel like? What does it feel like to have a mate? How do you know when a mate is yours? Is it weird? Is it scary? How did you know Sehun was the one for you? Does feel good? I don't know what I'm saying. I'm just curious."

Kyungsoo raised a brow. "Are you inquiring about this stuff because you have an...interest in a certain someone?"

Baekhyun pshawed and waved a hand, though felt a blush creep to his cheeks. "Interest in someone? No. Who would I be interested in?"

Kyungsoo looked down at the shawl. "Oh, I don't know..."

"And a few other things, too," said Baehyun as he waved a finger. "Do you think Chanyeol has been acting strange? Ever since his Kudos Epoch?"

"Strange how?"

"Well for god's sake, Kyungsoo! He's clingy and distant and negligent of a lot of things an Alphas are expected to be: responsible, stoic, dominant, mature. He keeps forgetting that my birthday is in May, which is rare, and he doesn't look at me the way he used to. He doesn't seem to have any priorities as an Alpha - he doesn't hunt unless he has to, he doesn't communicate with the other pack members at all besides me, he snaps at other dominants, he wants to play - which I don't mind - except when we do play he's touchy and dazed and all...weird. He just smells different. I feel different when I'm around him. I don't get it."

"Hm."

"What do you think Kyungsoo? Do you think he's acing strange?"

Kyungsoo shook his head and continued weaving. "Nope. Everything he's doing is perfectly normal."

Incredulity passed over Baekhyun's face. "What? How could you say that?"

"Do you know exactly why he's acting the way he is?" 

"No! How am I supposed to know?"

"The purpose for his actions...?"

Baekhyun sighed and continued staring up at nothing. "No."

Kyungsoo began to explain in a very instructive voice, "Just so you know, he is not clingy, dazed, distant, or immature. At least not towards the pack - to you, yes, perhaps he is. Stoicness and dominance will only come about in his life in times when he is needed to be those things...like when he's taking a mate, he must be dominant and prove his strength for his Omega...at least when they're in the process of mating."

Baekhyun squirmed - the thought of Chanyeol having a mate suddenly soured his mood. Baekhyun couldn't think of any Omegas that were good enough for his friend. It wasn't fair. Maybe he and Chanyeol could just live together as friends forever, and Baekhyun could ward off bad mates.

No, he thought. That's not what good friends do. He knew he was being selfish thinking that way.

Kyungsoo went on, "And speaking of priorities; you say that he doesn't hunt unless he has to, but my god haven't you noticed? He's been hunting like crazy, excessively. You should know because he brings all of his kills to you."

Baekhyun nodded in confirmation, patting his stomach. "Yeah. Chanyeol brings me a lot of food."

"I don't know if you are aware of this, but when a wolf passes through his Kudos Epoch and becomes a dominant, the Alpha's sole priority first is to find himself a mate."

Baekhyun snorted. "Chanyeol? Find himself a mate? Well he's not doing a very good job. Who is there in this pack to look at him that way? Minseok already has his sights on Jongdae, Suho is head over heels for Yixing, you're mated already and I..."

And I.

Kyungsoo nudged him. "You what?"

Baekhyun swalled a lump in his throat. Why was it suddenly difficult to speak? Oh, and there it was again, that heat pooling low in his abdomen. "...I'm his friend. He's obviously not courting me, Kyungsoo. I would have figured it out by now, or he would have told me."

"It's considered disrespectful for an Alpha to voice his pursuits publicly."

"It doesn't matter. I just..I feel bad for him. There is no one here taking an interest in him, you know? And then there's..well there's me."

"Yes," Kyungsoo insisted, "There's you."

Baekhyun clacked his tongue, looking away from the other Omega. He thought about all the things Chanyeol had been doing the last few days. The constant gifts, the flowers, the offerings of food and the hunt's kills, the escorting him everywhere, the possessiveness, the persistent attention, the waiting outside the Omega den, the serenades with all the classic love arias, the scenting off, the skinship, the favors, Chanyeol's overall freaky behavior and -

It slammed into him like a train.

"Oh my god!" Baekhyun screeched, sitting up with a gasp. Kyungsoo stared at him, his hands stopping where they were weaving. Baekhyun's heart hammered against his ribs. He was so, so stupid! How could he not have figured it out? How did he not figure it out on day one? He faced Kyungsoo, mouth agape. "K-Kyungsoo! Chanyeol is courting me!"

Kyungsoo threw down his shawl and let out a frustrated huff. "Well finally you dip! It took you long enough, pabo."

Baekhyun stuttered, exploding with heartbeats. "W-What? You knew?"

Kyungsoo shook his head, laughing angrily. "You're the only one in the world who didn't. We all figured you were so slow that by the time you figured out that Chanyeol was into you he would have died trying to get you to notice him. It was sad, really. Depressing to watch you guys."

Shivering, Beaekhyun ran his fingers through his hair. "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Oh my god! O-Oh my god. Chanyeol he - he - he means to claim me!"

"That's generally what courting is the procession of."

Baekhyun pulled his knees up to his chest, head spinning. He sat for a moment, and then his eyes popped out of his head and he just about screamed. "Kyungsoo!" How did he not realize? "Chanyeol wants to mate with me!"

Kyungsoo tched and rolled his eyes with exasperation. 

Baekhyun felt as if he was going to explode. "Oh . Oh . Oh my god. Oh my ing . Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god."

"Yikes. Calm down Baekhyun."

"He w-w-wants to...to..."

"Be honest, Baekhyun, have you never thought about Chanyeol in that way? As a potential mate? Have you never thought about having with him?"

Baekhyun blushed immediately. The answer was no, no he had not thought about...having...having with Chanyeol...

He wished Kyungsoo hadn't just put the idea in his head. His mind began running wild immediately and he saw imagines, fantasies, images of Chanyeol on top of him, holding him, sweating, with him, kissing his neck, rolling his hips -

Baekhyun squeaked and hid his face, but the pictures weren't in front of him, they were in his mind. He imagined himself gasping for air and clawing at Chanyeol's beautiful broad back, and Chanyeol's lips all over his body, the Alpha's hands touching him. He imagined Chanyeol and...and the two of them together...

It was wrong! He wasn't supposed to like Chanyeol in that way! He was his friend! Baekhyun wasn't supposed to enjoy the idea of Chanyeol's - cough - inside of him...going...in and out and...

"Are you okay Baekhyun? You look like you're about to faint."

Baekhyun leapt to his feet, trembling and face red hot. "I-I-I-I'm g-going t-to I-I ha-have t-to g-go f-for a w-w-walk - "

"Baekhyun you look sick - "

But the Omega was already gone.

 

[1/2]