Chapter 1

How Much Luck Do You Have?

"One coin" 

A splash echoed in the empty park. The cold evening wind not fazing the only visiter  at the time. the tall boy, dressed in a high school uniform, stood with his back to the wishing well.

 

The lanky form slowly turned, his leather shoes scrapping against the pavement as he looked through the clear water to see the coins snuck to the bottom.

"183rd time the charm..." He mumbled then opening his bag and taking out a small palm sized calendar and crossing off the day's date. 

Chanyeol watched the coins sparkle under the street light for a little longer before he shook his head and put the calendar back in the zip up patch in his bag. 

 

As Chanyeol trailed back across the park, the way he had come, he scanned the grass with narrow eyes, in attempted to see through the little light coming from the steet lamps. 

His foot raised and immediately stopped, slowly drawing back before the boy kneeled down on the grass. 

"Here you are" he mumbled with a smile as he plucked at a green weed with four clovers from the ground. 

Chanyeol's eyes observed it for a bit longer before taking out another small blank page book from his bag. 

Flicking through the blank white pages with pressed four leaf clovers on each one till he finally got to a blank page and put the clover in before pressing the book shut firmly.

 

The boy got up again, continuing to head across the park, his eyes still scanning the ground. 

The steet lights lit the path on the otherwise dark and cold night as Chanyeol went back passed the school he attended, back passed the convenience store and finally opening the gate of his house. 

 

As the tall high school student closed and locked the door behind him the smell of a perfectly cooked ,home made ,dinner wafted over to him. 

 

"Chanyeol? Is that you honey?" His mother walked out of the kitchen with an apron on and spatular in hand, a warm smile on her face. 

"Come have dinner, your father got home before you" she said ,glancing at the clock that read half past nine. 

"Okay...I'll get changed first" Chanyeol tried to smile and pointed to the stairs a little ahead of them. 

"Okay" she smiled and patted his shoulder before going back to the kitchen. 

 

Chanyeol went up the stairs and into a door to the right which was his room. He put his bag on the desk and took off his blazer. 

Books with brown covers similar to the one he had put the clover in were stacked on the shelf above his desk beside rows of jars filled with small coins that couldn't buy you bread roll. 

 

However the most obscure thing about his room was the box of paper cranes stringed together in the corner of his room. 

A few multi coloured origami squares were piled to the corner of his desk, alongside a roll of string and a pare of scissors. A few bits of paper only half folded in the centre of his desk. 

 

After Chanyeol had changed into a more comfortable pair of sweat pants and a grey sweater he sat down in his chair, putting his bag on the ground again quickly finishing the half folded Crain, then standing it to the right of his desk. 

 

His hand went to reach for the pile of paper but realised how little there was left on the pile. He opened the draw beside him that was filled with even more packets of the square paper and took one out, opened it and added the paper to the pile. 

 

Despite people seeing Chanyeol as a clumsy person, the sharp folds he made in the paper and quick moments he produced 9 more cranes within 15 minutes. 

He took the string and unreeled it until a certain point he believed was the right length before cutting it. 

He took a pin from the tomato pin cushion he had and threaded the string through it then running the needle through the triangles of each crane, tying a knot after each until they all sat perfectly evenly on the sting.

 After trying a knot at the end and putting the needle in the tomato again, Chanyeol took a marker pen and wrote a number. 

459 

Then getting up and putting it in the box with the others. 

 

Chanyeol sat back down and started to fold another square until there was a knock on his door. 

"Chanyeol? Are you coming down for dinner?" His mother voice called in, making his fingernail halt from creasing a line. 

 

"Please...you haven't eaten with us in a while honey.." His mother’s voice was sad and worried.

Chanyeol got up and opened the door

"I'm coming" Chanyeol smiled slightly  and closed the door again as his mother smiled back. 

 

As Chanyeol sat at the table across from his parents who were eating, his mother was asking the usual questions. 

"How was your day?"

"What subjects did you have?"

"What did you eat from lunch"

 

Chanyeol just replayed in short ,one word Answers. 

"Nothing"

Chanyeol said and his mother sighed as she looked at barely touched plate in front of him as Chanyeol poked around the food. 

 

"How is your friend going?" Chanyeol's father asked and his mother looked to chanyeol sadly, his father oblivious. 

"Fine, same as he was the last few months" Chanyeol said and stood up, picking up his plate. 

"Chanyeol, you can eat in your room, if you'd like" his mother called but was cut off by the clanking of a plate sitting atop a counter. 

 

"Stop saying friend. Call him Baekhyun" chanyeol's mother said to her husband. 

"His name dosent matter. He'll only ever be chanyeol's friend" 

The man said before picking up his finished plate as he stood. 

"Stop saying that! Baekhyun is in-" the lady was following him with tears welling up in her eyes, but stopped when she noticed Chanyeol was not his room but sitting half way up the stairs, as if he were to weak to continue up. 

 

"He's what?" Chanyeol's father turned to look at the lady, not seeing Chanyeol on the stairs. 

"He moved away.." She said meekly 

"I know that. Chanyeol told me. I'm glad he did, all he did was cause problems for our son" Chanyeol's father began complain.

 

Chanyeol got up, seeing that his mother had seen him as she was looking at him apologetically, even with tears in her eyes as his father was complaining about Baekhyun. 

 

Chanyeol shut the door to his room and fell onto his bed, he could still heard the distant argument of his crying mother and stubborn father. 

Chanyeol took his phone from the bedside table and Un locked it, going through his contacts and tapping on the name Baekhyun. 

 

The phone started ringing and Chanyeol put it to his ear, letting it ring. 

"Ay-yo" 

Chanyeol smiled when the older boy's voice came from the speaker, but he didn't say anything. 

"I'm either with Chanyeol, cause that boi does not let me pick up my phone, or I'm in the shower, because these are the only times you can end up in my voice mail, so leave a message after the beep if you want, I'll get back to ya" 

 

Chanyeol was smiling as he hung up the phone and went into his photos. 

Flicking threw the pictures Baekhyun had taken of himself on Chanyeol's phone or pictures of them together posing weirdly or doing dumb stuff.

 

His finger stopped on one picture of Baekhyun smiling and holding a stick with a flaming marshmallow on the end. It was dark and the burning flames of a small camp fire were just caught in the picture on the side the marshmallow was near. 

 

The next picture was at a carnival, Baekhyun was holding a huge penguin and the lucky dip ticket he had won it with. 

Chanyeol was next him holding fairy floss, staring widely at the penguin with 10 of the same lucky dip tickets on his hand. 

In the next picture Baekhyun had turned to Chanyeol, who watched his fairy floss fall off the stick and on to the ground.

 

Chanyeol smiled when he flicked to the next picture where Baekhyun had given the penguin to Chanyeol and was holding a new fairy floss for him. 

Then finnaly the last picture where they had noticed Sehun taking the pictures and were grinning while  holding up peace signs.

 

Chanyeol had fallen to sleep looking at pictures of his friend and himself together.

 

The next morning was a Saturday, Chanyeol had gotten up early and showered, dressing up nicely for the over cast, winters day. 

Chanyeol went down stairs holding the brown box filled with cranes.

 

"Good morning Chanyeol" his mother greeted from the couch.

"Good morning. I'm going to go see Baekhyun, I should be back before dinner" Chanyeol said his mother nodded 

"Okay. Be safe, and if you want me to pick you up call me" she said with a caring yet sad smile. 

 

"Don't tell him" was all Chanyeol said before leaving with an umbrella in hand. 

Chanyeol walking in the rain, half of his shoulder and back getting soaked as the umbrella was shielding the  box of paper more then himself.

 

Chanyeol went Under ground into the sub way, where he put down the umbrella and held onto the box more tightly.

Because it was the time of the day were business men were running to catch trains to work, Chanyeol was bumped into a few times as he walked at a normal pace, everyone around him practically running. 

 

By The time Chanyeol got to his terminal, the wave of business people had left and Chanyeol was almost alone on his train, spare a few people sitting in largely spaced gaps away from each other and himself. 

Chanyeol looked at the cranes in the box, inspecting the creases and carefully untangling a few strings that had caught up. 

 

Chanyeol stepped through the hall way, which he previously thought to be rather scary. Whenever he used to enter the building he felt suffocated and anxious because of his tendency to be rather clumsy. 

But now, the hallway was almost the opposite, as if it were a different one to which he used to walk.

It smelt of cleanliness and was somewhat purifying and refreshing. Chanyeol now found himself smiling, which was an odd thing to find in such a place. 

 

Chanyeol finnaly stopped at two double sliding doors, rolling the left open quietly. 

"Oh!! It's Chanyeol!! Our boy Chanyeol!!"  

Chanyeol laughed as he turned around, the quiet entry not leaving him as unnoticed as he expected.

"Good morning" Chanyeol bowed to the three old ladies sitting in their beds. 

"Come to see your sleeping beauty" one of them said and Chanyeol smiled 

"Of course for you as well, Mrs Kim" Chanyeol replied with a smile as he put the box down, going past the bed covered by curtains and to the Windows, pulling the blinds up and opening the window to let the cool air in. 

 

"Did you hear that!? I'm his favourite grandma" Mrs Kim said chucking and the other two ladies scolded her 

"Chanyeoliee! What about me?" Mrs Choi asked and Chanyeol turned from opening the window. 

"I come too see you all, Mrs Choi and Mrs lee" Chanyeol replied with a handsome smile that satisfied them all. 

 

As the ladies then began taking, complaining about the breakfast food that was still to come, Chanyeol pulled back the curtain blocking the fourth bed's area. 

 

The old ladies stopped talking and looked over to admire the hundreds of multi coloured ,stringed cranes hanging from the ceiling, just high enough for Chanyeol's head not to hit them as he walked around to the left of the bed. 

 The ladies often compared the boy they shared a hospital room with to the tale of a sleeping princess and charming prince who does more than wait for his love's awakening.

 

"Hey, Baek" Chanyeol whispered as he stood on the chair next to the bed, starting to stick the strings of cranes from the box on to the ceiling. 

"I only got to make 8 this week" Chanyeol said apologeticly as he stood down from the chair then taking a book from his pocket. 

"I'v got another book, this one might be boring to look at now, huh?" Chanyeol said putting the brown covered book into his pocket and taking out another extremely similar one. 

"I finished it this week and started a new one" Chanyeol said and then sat down, finally looking at the sleeping face of his best friend. 

 

The room was then silent again as  Chanyeol took baekhyun's pretty hand in his softly. 

The beep beep beep 

Of the heart rate machine beside the bed making the silence even more painful. 

 

"I'v only got 501 to go baek. keep waiting, okay?" Chanyeol whispered as felt a sudden squeeze at his heart and a rush of emotions come over him. 


hellooo!! Thankyou for reading the first chapter of he horrible Baekyeol fanfiction.