Revelation

Hae-soo's First Love

"What do you possibly want to announce that we couldn't even dismount the horse for?" Hae-soo prodded inquisitively, turning towards the prince who was leading them back to where the others had gathered.

It was especially thankful Wang So was the one steering the animal, for she was busily conjuring the possible proclaims he could make in front of his family to heed any attention, at all.

"You'll see." He answered simply, maintaining his persistent mindset of refusal to meet her eyes whilst making their way back.

The furrow between her eyebrows deepened significantly, unable to decipher the context behind his determined mask.

Hae-soo didn't attempt needling any more responses from him, acutely aware he would merely dismiss them all.

The first person they saw once they arrived back on the grounds was Soon-deok, still having the knowing smile tugging on the corners of her lips. But all that faded when her eyes trailed over to Wang So's, undoubtedly raising alarm from the way his brows were tightly knitted in fierce resolution.

The girl mouthed a silent question at Hae-soo, to which she shrugged dejectedly, as much as out of the loop as she was.

Baek-ah was spotted next, leaning against a tree with his drawing materials in hand as he sketched the scenery, either too preoccupied with his work or perceptive enough not to acknowledge his older brother's reappearance.

Her pupils bulged to finally found Wang Eun, lifting his chin up in time to have their eyes locked.

No words were spoken – which was fairly difficult, considering she was on a horse and him squatting with Wang Jung by his side – but the glint in his orbs were unmistakable, sad and mournful that revealed the lack of color in his usual easy-going demeanor.

It took everything in her willpower not to jump down from the horse in a desperate attempt to reach out to her friend, not to mention an adamant set of arms was surrounding her, keeping her firmly planted on the creature itself.

"I need to talk to him. He must be feeling miserable." She implored again, retracing her eyes to Wang So.

He dragged his hawkish gaze towards the Tenth Prince, slid his eyes to a close momentarily before expelling a long sigh. "Later, after I made my announcement."

"What's so important about it that you're prioritizing it over the needs of your brother–"

"Soo-yah." His voice was subdued, albeit unyielding. "Can't you just trust me for once?"

It was like the shoe had finally decided to drop in front of her, bringing into light the flicker of hurt glaring insistently in her face, simply awaiting for the moment she would realise what she had been clearly missing.

Hae-soo never meant to pain him – not when he showered her in nothing but protection and warmth, not when he gave her the sweet tenderness she carved for in the nights she felt utterly desolate, especially not when he offered her his heart and in turn, entrusting her with the promise to safeguard it.

She had wrapped herself in distressing over causing the first friend she made in Goryeo to be despondent, that she had failed to notice what her concern had done to him instead.

"I– I trust you. I do. There's no other person I trust more than you."

Wang So's lips jerked upwards, a feeble attempt at a grateful smile.

"Orabeoni." Princess Yeonhwa interrupted, fighting off the foremost instinct to snarl at the sight of Hae-soo, a sentiment to which she requited. "Where have you been? We were looking all over for you."

He gestured vaguely over his shoulders in the direction where they came from, looking at his other brothers instead of acknowledging the woman. "I was by the shed. I have something to say, Yeonhwa. Can you gather everyone?"

Clenching her teeth together, the princess nodded in compliance before striding to find her brothers.

"I really don't want to get off, now." At his raised brows, Hae-soo clarified. "Didn't you see how she was glaring at me? If looks could kill."

That was sufficient for a chuckle to rumble from his throat, in addition to the dramatic shudder she enacted vibrating through her frame.

"Don't worry about Yeonhwa. I'll protect you, if she even dares lay a finger on your slow-witted brain."

She stuck her tongue out at him playfully, folding her arms across her chest with an indignant huff. "We're back to teasing terms, aren't we?"

"Who, me? I wouldn't dare." Wang So's eyes widened in mock outrage, before his lips pulled into a smirk. "Not if it wouldn't get me some of what I want."

"And what could you possibly want?"

In lieu of an answer, the prince leaned towards her, angling his head slightly with his lips protruded, the unmistakable glint in his irises again.

Hae-soo blinked rapidly and pressed her index finger against him, effectively halting his approach. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Wang So tilted his head, a mixture of bafflement and amusement in his features.

"I– I don't know. But whatever it is, it can wait."

"It cannot–"

"It can."

The prince exhaled loudly in exasperation, and she was saved from further grousing when the brothers rounded on them.

"Yeonhwa said you have something to share." Wang Yo murmured in utmost detachment, inspecting his perfectly manicured fingers as if they were the most interesting thing on earth. "It better be something good."

Wang So leveled a glowering look upon his older brother, before sweeping through the other princes with an equally harsh gaze. "It is."

At that, the Third Prince's eyes narrowed to crinkled slits and dark eyes met his. "Do tell, my little brother."

Refusing to satisfy him with a reaction to his sneer, the Fourth Prince inhaled sharply through his nose to compose himself and started. "There's something all of you should know. It's been going on since the night of the ceremony."

The moment the words left his lips, Hae-soo's head snapped to him, the realisation finally dawning upon her.

Her surprise garnered his attention and his lips curved into a brilliant smile, tightening his grip on her ever so slightly.

From the corners of her eyes, she was positively certain a scowl was permanently etched on Princess Yeonhwa's features.

"What are you trying to tell them?"  moved with the silent inquiry, darting around nervously to find everyone's interest piqued, anticipating the announcement he would soon make with bated breaths.

Wang So's grin broadened visibly, shaking his head at her dismissively. He disregarded her restless fidgeting in his embrace, in a last ditch effort to wiggle out of his strong hold and hopefully escape into the depths of the woods, if it would mean the unrelenting scrutiny on the couple would dissipate.

His touch was velvety when the tips of his fingers ghosted over her pale knuckles, having gone white from the firm grip on the rein. The comforting gesture eased her burning nerves when her muscles loosened, allowing him to flip her palm over.

With his thumb tracing around the curves of her wrist, his lips parted to continue. "We're–"

A sudden wheeze was heard from the crowd and it effectively broke his reverie, in turn making everyone seek out the source of the sound.

Princess Yeonhwa swayed back and forth on the balls of her feet, a hand pressed lightly to her forehead before she fell to the ground, startling everyone present.

Wang Wook was the first to react, hurrying to his sister and immediately drawing her head to his lap to examine her condition while the other princes stood by numbly with eyes widened in alarm.

"She's alright, but I should probably bring her back. So, your announcement can wait, can't it?"

Wang So was still a little shell-shocked, but nodded nonetheless. "Don't worry about it. Take care of Yeonhwa."

The Eighth Prince bobbed his head in assent, picking up his unconscious sister and carrying her towards their carriage. Lady Hae lingered for a moment longer, staring at her younger cousin, who was still on the horse with the other prince.

"Hae-soo?"

"Yes, unni?"

"I don't think you would want to head back to the residence so soon. Will you be fine going back by yourself?"

Wang So spoke up before she could reply, his head bowed respectfully. "I'll bring her home safely. Please do not worry."

Nodding quietly, she muttered her gratitude before boarding the carriage alongside her husband, the horses being ushered into moving.

The Third Prince clicked his tongue, watching them leave with a smug smirk. "What an appropriate moment for Yeonhwa to faint. I almost think she knows what you're about to tell us."

His penetrating gaze raked through Hae-soo, a thinly plucked brow slanted in strong disapproval. The unnerving look hinted at something more underlying his words, causing her blood to run cold and clutch instinctively at Wang So's sleeves.

"Don't beat around the bush." The prince growled through gritted teeth, enveloping her in the serenity only his arms could provide.

"Ah," Wang Yo exclaimed with an understanding gasp, gesturing between the two of them. "I know what you're going to say."

"Though, honestly, I really didn't expect the wolf-dog to find his companion so soon."

The Ninth Prince joined his older brother with a snicker, hovering just an inch away from him. "Hyung-nim, everyone deserves some affection. Even beasts carve for this kind of tenderness, every once in a while."

Wang So's directed lour was sufficient to get Wang Won to cease talking, although the same wasn't extended to Wang Yo. "He wouldn't know what to do with love, if he even found it."

The way he rolled his smudged eyes at the word wasn't lost on Hae-soo, in what she assumed to be clear disbelief that the last thing he expected from his brother was his ability to settle down, especially with someone he cared about.

She saw how his gaze sought hers intuitively, a semblance of vulnerability and disorientation prominent in his features.

The Third Prince followed the direction of his eyes, the smirk gradually establishing on his lips. "Or does he think he already has?"

Whatever happened next was a flurry of movements when Wang So jumped down the horse with effortless grace, storming over to his older brother to grab him by his collar menacingly. "Don't you dare think about it."

An expulsion of doom-laden laughter was heard from Wang Yo's lips, just as the Ninth Prince attempted to separate his two older brothers.

"Oh, you're so easy to make fun of." He barely suppressed the dark snicker from emitting, shoving his hands away and smoothing the robes he had crumbled.

"I won't have you anywhere near her. Mark my words. You know what evidence I have."

The threat was plain, looming in the air as the sinister expression on the Third Prince was replaced with a somber one, stepping closer towards him.

Wang So refused to back down, staring with an intimidating gleam in his hues, as if to challenge the other prince.

"Fine. But this isn't over." Waving his hands around, Wang Yo whirled around to leave with Wang Won, but not before sending a wicked wink her way.

Hae-soo didn't even register the fact her fingers were trembling when the prince returned to her, worry coating his features. "Are you alright?"

"Yes–" She begun to answer, reaching instinctively for his hands when someone cleared his throat behind them, capturing their attention.

It was Wang Eun, still wearing his downcast expression but also looking wistful. "Can I talk to you, Hae-soo?"

Holding her palm up to cut off whatever the prince had to protest, she nodded reassuringly. "Of course."

The Fourth Prince didn't add anything further, simply offering his assistance to help her dismount the horse before giving them their privacy, leaving the scene alongside Baek-ah and Wang Jung.

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way, Your Highness. I didn't know you–"

He shook his head, a grim expression covering his face. "Let me speak first, will you?"

When she obliged by shutting , Wang Eun exhaled through his nose. "I will admit that I like you. You're the first woman to treat me like that, hitting me when I'm at fault and reprimanding me, instead of pacifying me with soothing words. No one fights me properly, or even treat me like I'm a normal person and not a royalty. That's why I wanted to marry you, not Soon-deok."

Hae-soo's mouth fell slightly agape, about to interrupt but the look on his face sent her closing once again.

"But I saw you with So hyung-nim today. I can't express how much it hurts to see you together with my hyung-nim, when I wanted to be the one by your side. I'm better than him, in so many ways. Why did you choose him, instead of me?"

He faltered at the last word, his lips quavering. She didn't know what to say in the situation, except place a hand upon his shoulders.

"Yet–" The prince pressed on despite his obviously distressed state, impressing Hae-soo with his sheer determination – something she hadn't been able to see in him, until that very moment.

"When Yo hyung-nim was picking on you, I couldn't do a thing. I was paralysed with fear and I couldn't defend you. But what I didn't dare to do, So hyung-nim did it without dreading the repercussions. And– That's when it became clear; I can never be the prince you needed. I'll always be the frightened kid who doesn't reject my hyung-nim's gift and accepts my father's arrangement without a protest."

"Your Highness, it isn't your fault–"

Shaking his head fervently, Wang Eun gently pried her hand off, letting it fall to her sides. "I won't like you anymore, Hae-soo. You deserve to be with someone who can protect you, something So hyung-nim can do but I can't."

She accepted the proclaim, nodding to show her assent when she extended her hand towards him again – the same gesture she extended when they made up, after the almost-fight. "Can we still be friends?"

The prince huffed, studying the hand dangling in front of him before taking it, giving a firm squeeze. "Of course. I am your first friend in Goryeo, after all."