Hello!

Monster Talk

"How are you, Chanyeol?" Kris swung his arms across the boy's shoulders and the boy yawns. 

"Fine. But not fine enough for school." Chanyeol replied, and took a while to kick some bubble tea cup which was lying on the pavement. How inconsiderate of the person to litter. Hmm, a strawberry one. Either girl or some romantic guy who is probably gay, he made that conclusion with the narrow perception of stereotypes. He sighed before bending down to pick the cup, before realising it was slightly torched. 

Kris looked at Chanyeol, with his eyebrows raised. "Why are you picking up litter from the ground?"

"Just trying to be considerate, Kris. Stop with that sass." 

Kris shrugged and smirked, "Considerate? Perhaps that was the reason why you were always nominated as the class president-"

"Being sabotaged by friends sounds more plausible an explanation," Chanyeol replied half-heartedly, examining the bubble tea cup.

Kris watched as Chanyeol frowned. "What now? You are interested in collecting garbage on behalf of the cleaner?"

"Shut up." Chanyeol sighed before tossing the cup into the dustbin just a few feet away. "Let's hurry up, won't want to be late, right?"

Kris snorted and lamented on the amount of disinterest Chanyeol was showing him. Chanyeol was half-listening and did not bother to converse back. He was merely too tired. The beautiful rows of trees were not shaking since it was a windless day and the heat was searing.  Chanyeol was known to hate the warmth. He cannot stand flames. He assumed he survived better in winters than summers. Summer night made him extra lethargic.

Kris easily grew tired from the lack of response and like the social butterfly he was, he skipped to Luhan, the well-known bookworm who was walking slowly with a book in his hand while pushing his glasses up whenever the pair slips down the nose bridge. Kris went on and blabbered about how Luhan should just get a smaller pair of glasses and that made Luhan shrunk further into his sweater.

"Change that sweater! That is way too big!"

Chanyeol walked slowly and hated the start of the semester.  Especially when it started with Kris-

It was ominous, considering that he would then always got elected as the class president then. 

It was a new year and he would need to fit into a new class. He did not see any problem with fitting in but some part of him wished he still could hang out with some of his old friends. Sadly, most of them chose to be in the science stream and had already started lessons in Spring while him, pursuing his interest, joined the art stream to his parents' disapproval. His eyes lazily traced across the pavement, eyeing the people who were walking to the school too. Maybe, he might find a potential classmate there.

He immediately missed Do Kyungsoo. 

His eyes stopped at Sehun who was a well-known aloof figure in his previous class, and he remembered that that boy never joined any class gatherings.  Due to Chanyeol's bubbly nature, he managed to talk to this boy once or twice. However, the conversation was stuck between whether strawberry milk was better or the matcha flavoured. And yes, he knew Sehun was not straight.

Would Sehun be in his class?

His eyes move to a figure in front of Sehun.

Then a slight breeze was stirring and his eyes widened.

A beautiful sight was to behold.

A delicate boy with perfectly arched eyebrows and thin lips walked among the crowd. His face was pale but the eyes were misty and sparkling. Although the look on the boy's face was rather displeased, he looked more fanciful with an expression so strikingly disinterested. The pair of purplish pink headphones, an exact replica of the mystical sunset glow settled on the boy's head like a fashionably worn halo and the boy definitely graced that pearlised white uniform. It looked as if it was a suit made for the boy.

The boy turned sharply like he detected a pair of eyes following him.

Chanyeol gulped as if guilty but did not look away. Their eyes met and Chanyeol saw the boy's eyes narrow into slints before looking away arrogantly.

He strode faster to keep up with the boy but the boy was fast.

Within seconds, the boy was gone from his sight.

Chanyeol tapped Sehun's shoulders, "Did you see how that boy in front of you move?"

Sehun was surprised for a moment before smiling the brightest and perhaps the fakest Chanyeol had ever seen in his lifetime.

"Grab some milk tea, go clear your mind." Sehun passed a chocolate bubble tea cup to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol smiled, confused and took the drink.

Mwah!Bubble-

Wow, this brand of bubble tea is everywhere.

.

.

.

"I ...guess we are in the same class?" Luhan asked, a faint blush dusting his cheeks like fairy dust. Chanyeol nodded and settled beside Luhan. He was glad that Luhan was his deskmate. Luhan is clean, pristine and always diligent.

Chanyeol always thought Luhan was pretty too although many would bet to differ. He had seen Luhan without spectacles before and had made a point to tell the bespectacled handsome lad that he should consider the contact lenses. However, Luhan was scared of putting them and refuted that he could spend the time to wear contacts to finish reading two pages of his novel.

Luhan was nice but many said he was too quiet and meek for liking. Chanyeol had to say Luhan was charming but like what others had mentioned, he could not shine with his quietness blaring like a noisy trumpet in his personality. It made him invisible.

Chanyeol nodded and Luhan expressed his happiness on how Kris was not in their class despite taking a similar subject combination. Kris would have been more well-liked if he talked less, indeed.

Chanyeol looked around to see Kyungsoo not around and frowned to himself.

The classroom was bustling with welcomes and hellos and many were laughing over jokes. Some were significantly upset that their buddies were not with them. And then stepped in, the same boy who captivated him. He immediately headed to the seat at the back by the window after the teacher passed him a slip of paper. Chanyeol's eyes brightened.

Luhan followed his gaze and asked, "Shouldn't he sit in front? He is so small. Both you and I are taller than him. Yet both of us are sitting in front of him."

Chanyeol nodded and smiled gently.

"Luhan, you are observant."

Luhan smiled radiantly at that comment. Before both of them knew it, Sehun was already standing right in front of Baekhyun. Baekhyun glared at Sehun while the latter ripped the headphones off his head.

"Get off. Sit at the seat in front this table. I am the one assigned to be sitting here." 

Baekhyun looked away, annoyed but Sehun kept staring at him with the icy cold eyes.

"Listen up, I am your observer. I have every right to put you under arrest if you disobeyed any instructions to be observed." Sehun leaned in and whispered.

A loud chair screeching sound was heard and Baekhyun got off the seat for Sehun. The homeroom teacher looked exhausted as if already anticipating tough year ahead leading these students. Both Luhan and Chanyeol, unaware of the conversation, looked on.

"Chanyeol, do you mind sitting with Sehun? Baekhyun can sit beside Luhan." The teacher tried to smile at Baekhyun who refused to sit in the first two rows. 

Without any further ado, Chanyeol took the seat beside Sehun, "Hello, Sehun."

Baekhyun relented and slipped into the seat beside Luhan while the latter attempted a weak "hello" at Baekhyun which Baekhyun did not acknowledge. Chanyeol beamed at Luhan who looked saddened. Sehun remained stoic as Luhan managed a sad "hello, I am Luhan" at him. He kicked Baekhyun's chair legs on purpose before Baekhyun ignored, rolling his eyes. "You are being rude."

Sehun snorted. Luhan stared at Sehun before he blushed.

"Thank you. I am fine." 

Sehun nodded before he pursed his lips.

Chanyeol was not paying attention to the interaction. Baekhyun was fascinating and his eyes did not leave Baekhyun. Sehun had to nudge his shoulders to get Chanyeol's attention.

What Sehun blurted out later was a jolt to both Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Baekhyun suddenly sat up straight while Chanyeol looked rather baffled. Luhan clapped his hands, glad at the proposal.

Sehun said after some moments, "Let's be a clique. Me, you, Luhan and the boy in front, Baekhyun."

Luhan was delightful and Sehun felt a bit prouder of his proposal. Chanyeol scratched his head while Baekhyun finally turned around and sent a death glare at Sehun again. 

"Clique?" Chanyeol rubbed his neck. 

"Why do we need one? We aren't Mean girls or anything, right?" 

Chanyeol did not mean it to be insulting to Sehun but he was slightly proud to see the corners of Baekhyun's lips curved up. All the more, Sehun, the aloof guy proposing a clique? What made Luhan and him special enough to get that treatment?

Luhan deflated and looked away, chuckling awkwardly, "Yes... I mean- we don't need a clique."

Chanyeol felt his heart clenched. He knew Luhan always had a problem making friends and group projects were a nightmare for Luhan because he was always unwantedly shoved into a random group by the teacher. Chanyeol invited Luhan many times into his group but Luhan refused upon seeing Kris's bored face and Jongin's gentle yet confused look. 

Maybe a clique would be good. 

"I don't mean I don't want to be in a group with you all." Chanyeol muttered and smiled, "I just don't think we need to officiate ourselves as a clique. We can just hangout like yes-we-are-a-clique-but-not-exclusive-well- kind of friend hangout group."

Sehun nodded and Luhan brightened a bit. Baekhyun's expression softened when Luhan turned to look at Baekhyun expectantly.

Chanyeol almost flinched as Sehun stared at him hard.

Baekhyun cleared his throat slightly.

"I mean... don't look at me with your puppy eyes. I will join this cli...hangout group."

Maybe then, Chanyeol thought to himself after hearing the melodious voice, Luhan was not the only one happy about this arrangement.