Chapter 9

As I Am

The manager was quick to come over to Sarang’s table and apologize for Sanggyun. He continuously bowed to Sungwoo as he did.

“It’s his first time working for me. He’s not used to this kind of work.” The man said.

“Then why did you hire him?” Aera snidely said. Sungwoo simply said ‘Mother.’ With a bit of a warning tone.

“It isn’t I that you have to explain it to. My daughter was the one who asked for you.” Sungwoo explained with a bit of a bored tone. The man turned to face Sarang and bow but stopped when Sarang held a hand up.

“There’s no need for that. I just wanted to say that the waiter shouldn’t be punished. Don’t deduct his pay for something that wasn’t his fault.” Sarang said.

“What?! But he created a disturbance!” Aera balked.

“Grandmother, I am handling it. Your input is not needed.” Sarang’s tone was clipped and cold.

“Sungwoo! Tell your daughter-“ “That is enough, mother.” Sungwoo’s tone not as cold but it did show that he meant business.

“As I was saying, it wasn’t his fault. And I would like to apologize for that guest’s behavior.” Sarang stood up and bowed slightly. Her dress did not allow much movement except for walking really. Crouching down earlier had been difficult but necessary.

While Sarang apologizing to someone who was not a family member or a friend was very, very, very rare, she still kept her bored, chic tone for when she was in the eyes of the public. But the manager could see her sincerity in her eyes even if her tone of voice made it sound like she didn’t mean her apology at all.

“Thank you, Miss Shin. But I would like to apologize again. We’re getting the mess cleaned up right away and we’re trying to find a new uniform for Sanggyun.”

“Alright then. You’re dismissed.” Sarang said, sitting back down and continuing to eat her food. She actually was just picking at it now since it was cold and she could feel herself getting bloated already.

The night ended later on and the Shin men were saying goodbye to different guests before finally saying their goodbyes to their friends.

“Actually dad, I was going to ride with Minsung back to my apartment. You and my oppas can go.” Sarang said.

“You were?” Minsung wondered, this being news to him. He got a quick pinch to his side along with a tight smile from Sarang.

“Yes, Minsung. We discussed this yesterday.” Sarang carefully said, hoping Minsung would catch on.

“Oh, right. Yeah uncle, Sarang is going to come with me.” Minsung said with a wide grin.

The Shin men shared a look before they all decided to let Sarang’s strange behavior slide.

“Alright, Sarang. Text one of us when you get home. And don’t forget the modeling gig you promised me you would do.” Sarang gave her father a quick hug and air kiss on the cheek.

“Yes dad. I’ll see you all later. C’mon Minsung.” Sarang gave her brothers an air kiss along with Sehyuk and her aunt an uncle and Se Hee. Aera had left already so she didn’t have to worry about her.

Sarang and Minsung waited until their families left before turning to each other. Sarang had a blank expression while Minsung had a cocked eyebrow.

“Okay, what the hell?” Was all Minsung said before Sarang just turned to walk towards the kitchen. “Yah! Aren’t you going to explain?!” Minsung yelled as he hurried after her.

Sarang got to the kitchen doors just as a waitress was walking out. The waitress immediately stopped when she saw Sarang and bowed.

“I’m looking for Kim Sanggyun.” And that was all Minsung needed to hear to understand Sarang’s strange behavior.

“He just left.” The waitress explained, still in the bowing position.

“Where can I find him?” Sarang asked and then the waitress explained how he left through the back.

“You can cut through the kitchen, Miss Shin. I can take you.” The waitress offered.

“Yes, do.” Was all Sarang said. The waitress did an about-face and quickly led Sarang and Minsung through the still busy kitchen—everyone was trying to clean up and make it spotless—until they got to a lone door at the very back of the kitchen.

“Thank you.” Sarang said as she passed the waitress who held the door open for them. Minsung thanked her as well.

“What if we don’t find him?” Minsung asked once the door closed behind them, leaving just the two of them outside. Sarang ignored him though and went in the only direction that Sanggyun could go. “And you’re just going to ignore me again, great.” Minsung rolled his eyes but followed Sarang anyways. “And you don’t even have a jacket! You will get sick, Sarang!” Minsung scolded.

Sarang and Minsung didn’t have to walk long before seeing the back of someone familiar.

“Sunbaenim.” Sarang called out, quickening her pace to catch up with him.

“Yah! You are going to break your ankle in those heels if you go any faster!” Minsung cried out but not bothering to go any faster than his strolling speed.

Sanggyun had been walking a slow pace, still bothered by the evening’s events. He just wanted to get home and get out of his dirty clothes. He was glad he didn’t have his coat on when he was waiting tables or it would’ve gotten dirty as well and just given him a higher dry cleaning bill. At least he got a full night’s pay. When he heard a voice that sounded like Sarang’s, he straightened up from being hunched over and turned to see that it was in fact Shin Sarang with Minsung following slowly after her. He planned to just stand where he stopped, confused as to why she wanted to see him but after hearing Minsung’s comment about her breaking an ankle and seeing how quick she was going to catch up with him, he quickly moved so he could meet her halfway.

“Hello, Sarang. Is everything alright? Hi, hyung.” Sanggyun bowed to them both.

“I just wanted to see if you were alright.” Sarang said, hoping her nerves weren’t noticeable. A telling sign for her though was rubbing her arms but she could thankfully play that off as being cold which she was, thankfully.

“Oh, uh, yeah. I’m fine, thank you. And thank you for helping me.” Sanggyun shyly said, ducking his head and scratching the back of his neck.

“I’m glad. Uh, are you on your way home?” Sarang wondered, cursing herself in her head for her slight stutter.

“Yeah, I am. Jiwoo is probably waiting up to see me even though I told him not to. Are you cold?” Sanggyun questioned, finally noticing how Sarang rubbed her arms and mistaking her nervous stutter for her being cold.

“No, no, I’m fine.” Sarang quickly said but Minsung’s side comment of “I can see the goose bumps from here.” Was all it took for Sanggyun to take off his coat and carefully place it around Sarang, ignoring normal social boundaries.

“I don’t need it. I get hot easily.” Sanggyun explained. “I mean, my body gets hot as in like the temperature.” Sanggyun quickly clarified.

“Oh, thank you.” Sarang said, keeping her voice and expression as neutral as possible when on the inside, she was dying. She loved how warm it felt and how it smelt like him even though she would never say that out loud unless she was drunk.

“Sanggyun, would you like a ride?” Minsung chimed in.

“Oh no, hyung! I’m fine.” Sarang couldn’t help but deflate a little. “Shut up, we’re taking you home. So you can also get to Jiwoo quicker. Besides, I would feel horrible as a hyung. Let’s go.” Minsung grinned, gesturing for Sanggyun to follow him and Sarang and winking at Sarang when Sanggyun wasn’t looking.

“I don’t want to be a bother though. I’m fine walking, hyung. Really.” Sanggyun insisted but walking with them anyways because he was a bit scared about what Minsung would do if he didn’t at least follow them.

“Oh please. Sarang and I have nothing important to do anyways. Don’t we, Sarang?” Minsung wondered. Sarang just nodded her head. “He’s right.” Was all she said, still a bit shy after receiving Sanggyun’s jacket. It totally wasn’t something she had fantasized about happening when she was a first year in high school.

“Alright.” Sanggyun said, still a bit uneasy. On their way to the front of the building, Minsung had called for a taxi which arrived just as they got to the front.

“What’s your address, Sanggyun?” Minsung asked. Sanggyun hesitantly told him and Minsung repeated it to the driver. Sanggyun was quick to open the door for Sarang since Minsung had gone around to the other side, leaving just him and Sarang on the other side.

“Thank you.” Sarang said, not even bothering to keep her chic front up and it surprised Sanggyun but he quickly said ‘no problem’ and sliding in after Sarang. Once they were all settled in was when the driver began his trek.

“Jiwoo keeps taking about Mary Poppins.” Sanggyun said to make some conversation. Minsung busied himself on his phone while Sarang had been staring ahead, clutching the flaps of the jacket.

“Oh really? I would love to take him to see it someday, if that’s okay with you.” Sarang turned her head so she was looking at Sanggyun.

“That sounds great. Jiwoo will be really excited.” Sanggyun grinned, just picturing how happy his son would be when he found out that ‘his noona’—as he’s been calling her as ever since he saw her at Minsung’s apartment—was going to take him to see the movie.

“There’s a theatre that shows a lot of old movies and they’re playing Mary Poppins next week. Does that sound fine?” Sanggyun smiled even wider.

“That sounds perfect.” Sarang smiled a small smile as well.

“Great. Should we exchange numbers?” Sarang wondered. Sanggyun nodded his head, getting his phone out of his front pocket while Sarang opened her clutch purse. The two quickly exchanged numbers, both smiling as they did and not noticing Minsung sneakily take a photo. He was so sending that to the group chat that consisted of his siblings and the Shin siblings.

“We can text about the details. I can’t wait to tell Jiwoo.” Sanggyun’s wide grin on his face.

“Well don’t tell him right now or he won’t want to go to bed.” Sarang said with a light smile on her face.

“You’re right. I’ll tell him in the morning.” And as Sanggyun said this, the driver was slowing to a stop in front of his apartment. Sanggyun was getting out his wallet to pay but was stopped by Minsung.

“Let hyung take care of it, Sanggyun. Tell Jiwoo and Taeyang hyung that we say hi.” Minsung grinned.

“Are you sure, hyung?” Sanggyun questioned. Minsung just nodded his head.

“Oh, your coat.” Sarang went to remove Sanggyun’s coat but was stopped by said owner of the coat.

“Just give it back on the day you take Jiwoo to see Mary Poppins.” Sanggyun said with an easy grin. It was Sarang’s turn to question how sure he was, something she never did.

“Of course. I don’t want you getting sick. Thank you again for helping me, Sarang. You were, you were my saving grace.” Sanggyun decided to say since ‘knight in shining armor’ sounded weird.

“No problem. Thank you for the coat, sunbaenim.” Sanggyun flashed her a bright smile.

“And thank you for the ride, hyung. Thank you, sir.” Sanggyun got out of the taxi, turning so he could tell Sarang one last thing. “I’ll text you later about the movies, Sarang. Goodnight.” And with that, Sanggyun closed the door, waving to the taxi as it drove away before hurrying into the apartment building.

It was silent in the car for a bit before Sarang spoke up.

“Do not say anything.” Was all she said to Minsung who finally let out a cackle.

Sanggyun and Sarang, sitting in a tree. K-i-s-s-i-n-g!” Minsung obnoxiously sang in English.

“Minsung, I swear I will kick out of my apartment and force you to stay with Sehyuk oppa while your bathroom is renovated!” Sarang threatened. Her phone’s screen began to light up though.

“What the?” Sarang unlocked her phone to see the groupchat she was in with her brothers and the Kim-Park siblings. “You took a picture of us?!” Sarang screeched, not caring what the driver thought.

“Of course!” Minsung cackled. He laughed even harder when he read all the messages coming in. Who knew four people could blow up a phone so fast?

“Is that the Sanggyun?!”-Jiho.

“He’s why you were lying about riding with Minsung, wasn’t he?”-Yooncheol.

“What is a Sanggyun and why does he have Sarang smiling like that? It’s scary.”-Sehyuk.

“He’s that waiter! Sarang, you have a lot of explaining to do!”-Se Hee.

Sarang could only groan, lazily glaring at Minsung who was still cackling. Just the few messages she saw was enough for her to feel exhausted. She doesn’t want to imagine how they’ll be next time she sees them in person.