Discovery

Salt

I sat in the grass watching the waves break over the rocky shore. The sun shone brightly in the sky and I could hear the seagulls in the distance fighting over their latest meal. I could see people preparing their fishing boats and other boats already bobbing out at sea. It was a tiny fishing village. Miles from the nearest grocery store and hours from the nearest mall. A single, seasonal restaurant sat at the top of the rocky hill. It was all a beautiful sight, but nothing could lift my spirits today.

It's been one week since BTS announced they were taking a break. Although I wanted them to be happy and healthy, I couldn't help but feel disappointed at the thought of not seeing them on my computer screen anymore.

I sighed sadly.

My cousin, Blake approached from behind, laughing at my poor mood. "It's just a break! It's not like they're breaking up or something! Cheer up!" He patted me on the head and I glared at him.

"You don't understand! I was going to go to Korea to see them perform! Now my plans are ruined! What am I supposed to do!?" I waved my hands angrily and Blake just laughed and my anger rose. "What the hell!? You're supposed to be my favourite cousin! Yet here you are, laughing at my agony!"

"Hey, chill 'cuz!" He raised his arms in defense, still chuckling discretely. "I just came to tell you that we have some new neighbours. I hear they're from Korea." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively and I just grumbled, punching him in the arm.

"Ow! What the hell cuz!" He rubbed his sore arm and gave me a wounded look.

"Unless it's BTS moving in, I don't care!" I turned back around and stared out over the ocean letting my sadness devour me again.

Blake mumbled something unintelligible under his breath and began walking back to the house. "Just make sure they don't fall in the ocean and die or something. You know how much Nan hates the press!" He shouted over his shoulder before disappearing.

I didn't think much of it. There was a large sign warning visitors about the dangers of the dark rocks. People weren't that stupid. Blake always told me that I had too much faith in humanity though...

With a groan, I stood and stretched my arms towards the sky, yawning loudly. Then I headed for the top of the rocky hill where the new neighbours had apparently gone.

I heard the familiar sound of laughter before I saw them. They spoke in Korean, running from rock to rock and chasing each other. Such children. I thought in my head. But it was in that moment that I spied one of them clambering down towards the blackened rocks where the powerful waves could reach. It was also the moment he turned around to yell something to the others in his group.

"Oh my gosh!" I squealed, making the seven boys freeze as they all turned to look at me. I felt like I was going to pass out any moment but something else caught my eye. A large wave heading straight towards Jungkook who was oblivious. I waved my arms frantically, screaming "GET AWAY FROM THERE!" It took a moment for him to realize what I was trying to say, but by that time it was too late.

The wave surrounded him, throwing him flat onto the slippery rock and dragging him wide-eyed into the current.

"!" I cursed, immediately stripping out of my shorts and top so that I was left only in my bikini. It was my favourite one too. I ignored the yells of the boys and dove straight after Jungkook into the churning, dark water.

The cold water surrounded me but I had long been used to it. My eyes adjusted to the darkness and my legs molded into a seaweed green fish tail. I swam quickly through the water, knowing exactly where the ocean would take him. I spotted his pale skin in no time. He was desperately fighting the current but it was no use. The ocean must really want Jungkook, I guess.

Thanks to my powerful tail, the current was much easier for me to escape. I wrapped my arms around his muscular torso, silently fangirling when he wrapped his own arms around me. I propelled myself forward, moving slower than usual thanks to the addition of Jungkook, but I wasn't complaining.

Once I broke the surface, Jungkook took a huge gasp of air much too quickly and fell unconscious.

"Ohhh, you are lucky you're handsome." I muttered before swimming with him in my arms to the shore - away from the rest of BTS.

I flopped onto the rocky shore and pulled him up after me. My chest heaved from the exertion of lifting Jungkook's deadweight.

"Damn, you're heavy." I grumbled. Once he was far enough onto the shore I pushed myself back towards the water. Then I remembered. He's still unconscious. Just to make sure that he was alive I held his face between my hands, momentarily awed at the beauty of his sleeping face. I shook my head, remembering the task at hand. "Forgive me." I prayed silently then slapped him hard on his face. He gasped, sitting up quickly and bashing our skulls together.

"God damn! Ow!" I growled before diving towards the safety of the ocean, hoping he didn't see my tail shimmering in the sunlight.

Damn him and his iron skull. I lamented in my head as I swam a safe distance from the shore, waiting for someone to find him. Eventually, he left the rocks and wandered away. I waited a little longer just to make sure and then I finally resurfaced, dragging myself up onto land with a groan.

I laid out on the rocks for a while, letting my tail dry out when suddenly-

"You shouldn't just lay out in the open like that, what if they saw you?"

I screamed, attempting to stand up and failing. I face planted into the grass with an "oomph".

"What the hell Blake!" I yelled with a mouthful of grass. Meanwhile he was slumped over laughing uncontrollably.

"Oh my God. You should have seen your face!" Blake slapped his knee, still hysterical.

"Damn you! It's not funny!"

"It is! It really is! But," he struggled to calm his laughter, his eyes still sparkled with twisted joy, "I brought you your shorts since you kind of destroyed your bottoms."

"Thanks." I muttered grabbing them from him before successfully standing up this time and slipping the shorts over my legs. "Those were my favourite bottoms you know." I said as we began to walk.

"Oh, stop your complaining. We're going to town in a week you can buy some new bottoms." He walked beside me, rolling his eyes at my dramatic antics. "Anyway, we should head back quickly. They want to call the cops. They think you're dead." He laughed.

"They do?" I was touched. That they would actually worry about someone as normal and unexceptional as myself. It was an honour.

Blake shook his head. "You're so weird."

I stuck my tongue out at him as we kept walking towards the house.