One

Remember You

Jaemin POV

      Her eyes met mine and I tried my best to remember them because I knew that after today, I'd never see her again. Her eyes were a stormy grey with streaks of blue littering her iris. Her eyes were entrancing; with every turn of her head, her irises would catch the light from all angles and change. The colors her eyes transformed to were magical but fluid, only there for a split-second before disappearing. The intriguing metamorphosis of her eyes was what drew me to her the first time and I don't regret choosing to approach her. The next few years of my life that spent with her were the best of my life. It had bestowed me with the honor of experiencing numerous things with her in diversity. But sadly, our journey together has to end and you have to go, leaving this world, traveling to a realm where I cannot protect you. I'm sorry that I can't stay loyal to the promises I vowed by...

      My thumb brushes over her cheekbone, carrying a single salty tear with it. My eyes run despairingly along the lines, curves, and angles of her face, remembering her striking features and her perfectly sculpted lips. I close my eyes, committing the image to memory. My mental image of her is almost perfect, almost. I open my eyes again and my dark orbs meet her stormy ones and memorize every single detail down to the shadows and reflections her long thick eyelashes cast on her eye. Now, it's perfect~

      Slowly I look down to her lips and lean in, cupping her face and capturing her in a soft but meaningful kiss. Her hot tears stream down her cheeks and onto her lips, allowing me to taste her longing to stay in this world, and her sorrow. Pulling apart breathless, knowing that this will be the last time I will ever see her again breaks me and I bite my trembling lip, whispering "I love you. Always," in her ear before swiftly turning around to hide my tears and exiting the door of her ward with hurried footsteps. I can hear her sobs and it destroys me from within and I desperately want to turn back and engulf her in my embrace but I know I can't. I'll lose it and I can't risk hearing you say goodbye. I don't want to hear you say goodbye...

      Once out the door, I immediately whip around, regretting my selfish escape to prevent myself from cracking and place my hand on the cool metal doorknob. I hesitate, then retract my hand, letting it fall lifelessly to my side. I collapse onto a plastic chair, waiting for the time for when I have to let you go and remain hunched staring at my clasped hands, lost in my own thought. I wish you didn't have to go...

I promised you that we would always be together..... I'm sorry

I promised you that I would protect you..... I'm sorry

I promised you that I would never lie to you..... I'm sorry

      Time passes and I am startled out of my reverie when I hear the door open and see her being wheeled unconscious into the operation room by the nurses I didn't even notice had entered the room, and I know that it's time. 

      "Na Jaemin," my name is called by the surgeon half an hour later and I raise my head, my hollow eyes that were void of any emotion meeting the gaze of the surgeon that was full of pity, sadness, and admiration all at the same time. He gestures for me to follow him and I nod once before standing up and trudging to the operation room that she was in. As I finish prepping and lay down on the operation table, my mind flashes to the last gifts I have prepared on the kitchen table for her to discover when the hospital discharges her and then my world starts to fade. I conjure up the image of her face, but even that starts to fade. Her features blur together until I cannot differentiate her chin from her nose, except her eyes. However, while my world blurs and spins even more, her eyes remain my only focus. Those strong, grey irises, filled with happiness and health once more, that's enough for me to let a soft smile on my face before succumbing to the darkness that called to me. 

      Soon, Na Jaemin will be no more and you, my love, will finally realize that I had truly given my heart to you.

I promised you that I would do anything for you..... 

I promised you that my heart was yours to keep forever..... I didn't lie
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Please leave feedback on this one shot, I would love to hear it~ Until next time *waves*

(small note: if anything was confusing, leave a comment and I'll try to reply. If not, great~)