The Beginning

And So It Goes

You and Youngjae had met once through mutual friends and quickly learned that you were both interested in music. You guys started texting and talked a lot about music. Actually, you talked only about music. He was interested in your musical activities and you in his. It felt so natural. He let you into his world via his music tastes, and you could tell you were falling for him. One day after a particularly long choir practice, you got a text from him. 

6:00 pm
Youngjae: "Hey Y/N, what are you up to?"

You didn't notice it, but a smile crept it's way onto your face.

6:02 pm 
"I just got out of choir practice! Are you watching me? :P"

6:03 pm
Youngjae: "Maybe... maybe not :P"
Youngjae: "Ah I'm just kidding, of course I'm not watching you! I just wanted to see if you weren't busy if you wanted to hang out, that's all!"

The answer should have been obvious. You had no plans later, but the butterflies in your stomach were making you second guess yourself.

6:06 pm
"I'm not busy tonight."

You were proud of that answer. You didn't seem desperate, but you didn't seem uninterested either. Just the right amount of truth.

6:07 pm
Youngjae: "Soooo... I can see you tonight? :)"

Seeing the smiley face made you blush and you were embarrassed. It was just a simple colon and parenthesis but the butterflies in your stomach were once again coming alive. This would be the first time you two would be alone. To say that you were nervous would be an understatement. After giving in and discussing the details, you finally started your car and made your way home. You had decided he would come to your place, after he insisted his current living arrangements were not fit for visitors. You were still cleaning up here and there when you heard a knock on your apartment door. Looking through the peephole, you saw Youngjae biting at the skin on his lips. You wondered if he was nervous too. 

As you opened the door you welcomed him in with a bright smile, despite how nervous you were feeling on the inside. He smiled back at you and his eyes practically  disappeared. You almost melted on the spot. 

"Welcome to my... er.. house!" You said laughing as he took his shoes off by the front door. 

"It's very cozy, Y/N, did you decorate yourself?" His smile made your heart beat ten times faster. 

"I... I did," you paused to giggle with a hand over your mouth, "it's not much, but thanks for noticing".

You gave him a mini tour of the apartment with an enthusiastic spring in your step. He smiled to himself the entire time thinking he was hiding it, but you noticed. You ended the tour when you reached the door again. 

"Okay, goodnight!" You pushed at his shoulder lightly before breaking out in laughter. He looked confused but laughed nervously along with you. "I'm just kidding! Maybe I shouldn't have said that," you started to blush and looked around for something to distract yourself. 

"Ah, are you thirsty?" You asked Youngjae who was looking at his phone now to ease the awkward silence. 

"Do you have any hot cocoa?" He asked, his head shooting up to look at your answer.

"I think I do! Grab a seat on the couch and i'll make some for us!" You said as you made your way to the small kitchen. 

As you were getting the hot chocolate ready you heard the sound of your bluetooth speaker starting up. You spun around immediately to see Youngjae messing with it.

"Youngjae what are you doing?" You asked playfully, turning back around to grab the mugs of hot chocolate.

"I wanted to listen to some music..." His thoughts trailing off as he watched you walk into the living room holding two mugs. He got up immediately to grab them and you sat down beside him on the couch. 

"Who is this by?" You asked, hoping to make things a little less awkward between the two of you.

"Oh it's Bruno Mars! I really love his voice" He looked so happy talking that you wanted him to continue.

"I really love this song, Youngjae. You're good at picking music." You looked at him instinctively and your eyes met. You both blushed. A couple minutes passed and the song ended. You sat there holding your mug tightly in both hands, startled when Youngjae decided to speak up. 

"Do you want to pick the next song?" He asked warmly while smiling at you. You nodded and sat your mug down as he handed you his phone, warm from his hands which were grasping it tightly just a second ago. 

"Pick something you want to sing to..." he looked down shyly at the carpet as he realized he'd said that out loud. 

"You want me to sing for you?" He started blushing and you felt bad for asking the question in the tone you did. You were genuinely curious but you weren't sure if it had sounded that way. "I'll sing for you..." you smiled at him, "but only if you sing for me too!" He looked up from the floor excitedly.

"Deal!" And you both took turns singing for what felt like the entire night. You took a break to use the bathroom and when you looked at the time on your phone it read 9:32 pm. You wondered what he had planned for tomorrow. As you exited the bathroom you were welcomed by yet another song you didn't know, but you had quickly realized that night that Youngjae was into songs you'd never think of listening to. It was okay though, because the way he lit up when he talked about music made your heart tighten in your chest. He was in love with every component of music and you admired it so much. You didn't realize you were just standing there until Youngjae got up to meet you.

"Are you okay?" He asked laughing softly, continuing to hum the song under his breath. 

"Yeah, I'm great!" You smiled at him and he led you back to the couch. You wondered when he would have to leave, so you asked about his plans. 

"What do you have planned for tomorrow?" As you asked you realized how much it made you sound like you were interested in taking away his free time. You blushed and quickly continued talking. "I just mean that it's getting late and if you had plans in the mor-" and you were cut off by his lips pressing into yours. You gasped into his mouth and he pulled away immediately. He looked confused and sad and angry all at the same time.

"I'm so sorry Y/N, should I not have done that? Was that too much? Dammit I'm so sorry" he got up, looking like he was about to leave. But you didn't want him to leave.

"Youngjae where are you going?" Your voice sounded small and sad as you watched him put his shoes on.

"I have to go now. I'm so sorry about tonight." And he walked out of the front door, leaving you to look at the two empty mugs on the coffee table, tears threatening to run down your cheeks.