IV. Ugly Sweaters

Miracles in December


Minseok was shaking with laughter as he assist Jongin in holding back the cashier, Baekhyun from attacking Jongdae who was taunting the man and laughing his off. Jongdae was wearing an obnoxious red sweater with a “Ho, Ho, Ho” written on the front and picture frames around the words with different people’s pictures in them. Baekhyun’s photo was one of them in the frame.

“I WILL KILL YOU AND THEN BURN YOUR BODY!”  shrieked Baekhyun as he waved his arms around haphazardly, smacking Jongin in the ear

“What? I think this is the best ‘Ugly Sweater’ I’ve worn in a long time.” insisted Jongdae with a mischievous grin. “And it’s very stylish.”

“I hate you Kim Jongdae!” shouted Baekhyun “I hate you!”

“Bro, I think you went too far,” argued Jongin (who then whispered “It’s the best thing ever!”)

“Well I think it’s extremely misinformed.” rebutted Yixing, “Kyungsoo and Chanyeol are hardly hoes.”

“What about Baekhyun?”

“Well I’m still working on turning my hoe into a decent housewife,” answered Yixing with a serious nod, a smile breaking his facade when everyone started laughing at his joke, Yixing quickly swept his boyfriend into a hug, shushing and cooing to him, “I was only kidding baby, you’re not a hoe.”

“I will say that your sweater is clever, but it lacks a flair of pizazz.” said Minseok suddenly as everyone settled down, tapping his chin thoughtfully

“What do you mean?”

“I mean it ain’t no Christmas tree sweater like Suho’s,” pointed out Minseok, throwing a thumb behind his shoulder to where Joonmyeon was (dark green sweater with silver garland and balls of yarn as ornaments), trying to console Baekhyun after Jongdae’s “tasteless” joke.

“Well-”

“Your sweater is not quite as classic or sweet like Baekhyun’s and his boyfriend’s sweaters,” continued Minseok, pointing at Yixing’s  knitted sweater which was a Rudolph the rednose reindeer with the hood having antlers and Baekhyun’s sweater was  Clairece  with the hood of the sweater having a big red polka-dot bow on the left side.

“I think his sweater suits him,” remarked Jongin, grinning, “It’s crude, covered with hoes and itchy. It’s basically Jongdae's in sweater form.”

Minseok laughed along with his youngest cousin while Jongdae shouted loudly at the pair, telling them to shut up.

“You two are simply haters, you always have been” snapped Jongdae

“I’m allergic to bull,” smirked Minseok “And you are even more covered in it now than you’ve ever been before.”

“Don’t make me yank those snowballs off your sweater!”

Minseok easily dodged his cousin’s attack and put Jongdae in a headlock while Jongin roared with laughter.

The front door opened and everyone turned their attention to the entrance. Minseok watched Kyungsoo come walking back into the cafe but was dragging someone significantly taller than him into the cafe.

Kyungsoo, whom was introduced to Minseok earlier when everyone was slowly arriving to the cafe for the annual Ugly Sweater party Joonmyeon threw every year.

The pastry chef was, interesting. He looked so small and vulnerable at first glance, Minseok figured he was very shy and soft spoken. But it was entirely different story when he spoke and was moving around independently. Minseok was surprised at how Kyungsoo sweetly smiled at him when they were introduced and then the smile was gone in a flash when he saw Jongdae’s sweater (quickly noticing his portrait)  and he walked away only to come back with a picture of Baekhyun from the back office and said he should use the picture instead of the picture of the wine bottle he put there. Jongdae threw himself onto the shorter fellow and said he might be in love with him. Kyungsoo easily shoved Jongdae off him and told him if he touch him again he would regret it.

Minseok stepped closer to Kyungsoo, he wanted to get to know the guy more. If anyone was able to tolerate Jongdae’s crude sense of humor and not get offended, was someone worth knowing.

Before Minseok had a chance ask Kyungsoo about himself, Joonmyeon had wandered back from the kitchen, Sehun following after the older man like a duckling holding a tray of cookies asking the older man what he did to cope with finals when he was his age. Joonmyeon, out of breath informed those that were there (Jongin, Jongdae, Minseok, Kyungsoo) that Baekhyun and Yixing were on their way but there was one more person who still had not arrived yet, or if he was going to even arrive: Chanyeol.

“We can’t have the party without Chanyeol,” said Joonmyeon firmly, directing Sehun to place the tray of cookies

“We have,” argued Jongdae, “For three years in fact, we have had this ridiculous sweater party without him.”

“Well we are going to try and invite him over,” remarked Joonmyeon, “again, like we have for three years.”

“I just tried calling,” shouted Jongin from the corner where he was sitting, holding up his phone, “He isn’t picking up.”

“He’s in the studio; he never picks up when he’s working.” muttered Kyungsoo, walking over to the front door, grabbing his jacket as he went, “I’ll go and get him.”

“Really?” asked Joonmyeon, looking surprised

“Yeah, it's better than being here,” replied Kyungsoo with a shrug (Minseok thinking ‘ouch’ at that remark)

“Don’t pressure him into coming,” cried Joonmyeon looking nervous “If he’s busy it’ll be fine-

“I’ll just guilt trip him, like I always do.” shouted Kyungsoo over his shoulder, walking out of the cafe.

“He won’t really do it, will he?” asked Joonmyeon nervously, looking at Jongin for an answer.

“Don’t underestimate how guilty that guy can make you feel.” answered Jongin seriously

“Someone is speaking from experience,” muttered Jongdae with a smirk

“Shut up.”


Chanyeol didn’t know why he allowed Kyungsoo to drag him out of the studio to the party. He was in the middle of making an arrangement when Kyungsoo came bursting through the doors, marching over to where Chanyeol was sitting by his computer, yanking Chanyeol up by the collar telling him he was going with him. Chanyeol nodded his head quickly, not wanting to anger his best friend, more than he already looked.

When they got closer to the cafe, Chanyeol started getting anxious and hesitant. He completely forgot about the party.

Chanyeol usually made plans out of town whenever he got an invite to the annual pre-Christmas party where they picked out slips for Secret Santa when they all gathered again before Christmas. For some reason it slipped his mind to make plans this year.

Chanyeol didn’t have a chance to speak up and tell Kyungsoo he wasn’t ready for this when they had arrived at the cafe and Kyungsoo dragged him inside.

Kyungsoo quickly shoved him into a seat and disappeared into the back, probably going to the kitchen, Chanyeol mused as he fidgeted in his seat. He looked around and saw Baekhyun sitting on Yixing’s lap, whispering into his ear as Yixing played with a strand of Baekhyun’s hair before he tucked it behind the other's ear. Joonmyeon was speaking to his brother. Jongin was talking to Jongdae and someone Chanyeol didn’t know, maybe it was that guy Jongin talks about from time to time. What was his name again?
“Here,” said Kyungsoo, suddenly reappearing by Chanyeol’s side holding out a fluffy white sweater, “Put this on.”

Chanyeol took the sweater and unfolded it to reveal a polar bear on the front of the sweater, with a sequence red Santa Claus hat. He gave Kyungsoo a pleading look, he didn’t want to wear the sweater. Kyungsoo wasn’t having it and shook his head firmly, mouthing ‘Put it on’. Chanyeol nodded quickly and did as he was told, one should never disobey Do Kyungsoo, he wasn’t nicknamed ‘Satansoo’ for nothing.

After making sure Chanyeol put the sweater on, Kyungsoo nodded in approval (his sweater was stormy blue with a giant penguin in the front with white snowflakes) and went off to where Joonmyeon and Minseok were standing. Kyungsoo said something to Joonmyeon which made the cafe owner look up with a hopeful face and smile brightly when he saw Chanyeol was indeed there.

Chanyeol blushed and waved awkwardly at his friend.

Let's get  this over with.’


Kyungsoo isn’t pessimistic, he’s a realist.

He didn’t expect this party to as planned and everyone was going to be ‘happy-go-lucky’ for the remainder of the evening. No, he expected several mishaps to happen and for Jongdae to sprout Jongdae nonsense and then the party would end and everyone could go home.

That was the plan.

In the past hour the plan changed, if not drastically.

Yixing left before everyone settled and Joonmyeon gathered them closer to the tree. Baekhyun wasn't pleased. He didn't even bother to drag his boyfriend off to the side so they can talk privately. Baekhyun expressed his frustration for Yixing bailing on the party for work (‘It can wait till tomorrow. Work will still be there no matter what, spending time with your friends won't!’) Yixing being immune to Baekhyun’s outbursts (this being miniscule)  didn't fall for his boyfriend's antics and smiled apologetically to everyone. Everyone tried to look away when Yixing leaned down to give Baekhyun a kiss but Baekhyun walked away and turned his back on him. Yixing sighed and walked out of the cafe.

It's no surprise that Baekhyun is a spoiled brat. Kyungsoo knew it the first time he met him years ago in college when he was studying with Chanyeol, and Baekhyun threw a fit when Chanyeol (they were dating at the time) declined to take him out for ice cream and the three of them in the end went on a ice cream run to shut Baekhyun up.

With Yixing gone, there was no one stopping Baekhyun from ruining the mood of the party with his attitude.

The first one to suffer was Chanyeol. Baekhyun got offended when he saw Chanyeol had migrated over to where the cookies were and sparked a conversation with Sehun which turned into an in depth talk about Harry Potter. Baekhyun didn't appreciate how no one, especially Chanyeol, didn't immediately come over to him and try to make him feel better. With a frown on his face, Baekhyun made his way over to where Chanyeol and Sehun were standing.

Kyungsoo groaned when he saw Baekhyun was speaking directly to Chanyeol had a mad face as he did. Sehun looked scared and tried to speak up but was silence by Baekhyun’s glare. Kyungsoo put his cup down and got up from his seat to save his friend from their dramatic friend. Kyungsoo paused when saw Chanyeol put his cookie he had been munching on and put it on the table before walking out of the cafe, ignoring everyone who was calling out to him. Sehun contemplated for a moment before he followed after Chanyeol, ignoring Jongin calling his name.

After Sehun and Chanyeol left, everyone stopped and glared at Baekhyun, who scoffed, fidgeting in his place. When no one said anything but continued to glare, Baekhyun burst into tears and ran out the door, asking why everyone blamed him for everything. Joonmyeon sighed and told everyone to continue with the party while he tried to calm Baekhyun down.

Kyungsoo wondered to himself if he should go after Chanyeol and Sehun and try to get them to come back when he overhead Jongdae speak loudly to Jongin.

“Why is it recently all our parties end with someone going off with someone else, someone crying, and Joonmyeon having a field day trying to play the mother of the group?” He asked sarcastically, pouring himself more punch

“Hyung, shut up.” Warned Jongin, glaring at his brother

“I mean the last party we all tried to have was when you drove Kyungsoo’s car into the canal,” continued Jongdae, “You ended up in the hospital with a bruised face from the airbag going off. You and Kyungsoo fought and you left leaving Kyungsoo alone crying while-”

“Shut up!” Hissed Jongin, throwing his cup at his brother

Kyungsoo decided he had enough of the “party”. Not saying a word, Kyungsoo threw his jacket back on and walked out of the cafe. He heard Jongin call after him, but like nowadays, he ignored it. Kyungsoo felt his face burn in embarrassment and his heart make a weird clench.

“So stupid,” muttered Kyungsoo to himself, shoving his hands into his pockets.

It wasn't like Kyungsoo needed a reminder of what happened. He was constantly reminded every time Jongin showed up at the cafe. Kyungsoo didn't need Jongdae’s narration of how things fell apart in epic proportions.

“So stupid,” repeated Kyungsoo as he shook his head trying to rid the thoughts from his mind.

“What's stupid?”

Kyungsoo flinched and whipped around, almost knocking into Minseok. Minseok easily steadied Kyungsoo back on his feet.

“What do you want?” Asked Kyungsoo who quickly realized that came out too harsh, “I mean, what are you doing out here? Are you looking for Joonmyeon?”

“Actually,” started Minseok, looking down at his feet, “I came to give you your scarf. You left it on the table.” He explained holding out the dark grey knitted scarf

“Oh.” Replied Kyungsoo, feeling his cheeks warm up despite the freezing wind chill sweeping the streets.

Kyungsoo took the scarf from Minseok’s hands, mumbling a soft thank you.

“Um,” mumbled Kyungsoo, “see ya around.”

He was about to walk away when he felt a hand on his arm. Kyungsoo looked back and blushed when he saw Minseok flash him a crooked smile (‘It must be genetic’ thought Kyungsoo)

“Actually, do you, wanna go get something to eat?” Asked Minseok, “you know since we both left the party and it's around that time to eat dinner.”

Kyungsoo stared down at his feet, hiding his flushed face. Dinner sounded great, actually.

“What did you have in mind?” Asked Kyungsoo, peeking up at Minseok

“You like spaghetti?”


Chanyeol was walking back from the university, having walked Sehun back to his dorm after they had dinner together at a fast food joint while they discussed wands and spells. After promising the younger male they would have a Harry Potter movie Marathon when he was done with finals, Chanyeol left. He was enjoyed the evening walk when he got a message from Joonmyeon.

I am sorry for how tonight went. Especially for you Chanyeol, I really wanted you to enjoy party. Baekhyun will apologize once he's calm down from his outburst (and Yixing talks to him).

I wanted to tell you I picked out a name for your ‘Secret Santa’ present! You got ‘Sehun’. Let me know if need help with picking out a present ^-^.’

Chanyeol smiled at the text and put his phone away in his pocket. Maybe he will ask Joonmyeon for help in picking out a gift for Sehun. He didn't know if he was still good at picking out presents like he was before.

 



...I dunno what to tell you guys XDD

Ugly Sweaters bruh.