"I'm not a fan. You think too highly of yourself."

Valentine Sonata 『 ᴄʜᴏᴏꜱᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ 』

 

"I'm not a fan. You think too highly of yourself."

Daehyun widens his eyes and fails to say anything in return, tongue-tied. I walk away coolly despite my heart beating loud against my ribcage. I can't believe I just talked back to Daehyun. I hope he doesn't hate me.

No, who cares if he does? I muster up the courage, reminding myself that I stood up for myself. He was being mean.

Walking down the hallway, I pass by a boy who has his head lowered. He looks familiar, but I can't remember who he is.

Oh right, he's a senior. Kim Himchan, the boy who had the violin solo. I brush him out of my thoughts, continuing my way to the canteen.

During recess, I sometimes eat with my classmates, but not for lunch since I usually head straight to the practice room and skip lunch. I'm not close to anyone, though I do have a good friend named Jongup who came from my middle school. I'm quite the loner since I'm so hung up over my violin practice. I don't talk well to others too, because I can be quite straightforward without realising.

Getting some ramen and eating by myself in the corner, I spot the same senior from before. He glances at me and blinks, walking a little faster to one of the tables where his friends are. Occupying myself with my thoughts, I finish up my meal quickly, wandering around to pass the time.

As I pass by the courtyard, I flinch at the sound of screaming, knowing full well what has caused the noise. Turning hastily, I just barely avoid the crowd charging towards me. The school prince, Choi Junhong, must be nearby.

Just as I expected, Junhong descends the stairs, the boy smiling kindly to his mob of fans. Baekhyun pushes me aside and rushes to Junhong, cooing over him.

Do these boys have nothing better to do? It's not like you can get any money out of following Junhong around. He may be handsome but it doesn't mean you guys have to chase him to the ends of the earth. They just like him for his looks, anway.

"Don't insult us," one boy snaps. I belatedly realise I'd been muttering under my breath and hastily cup my mouth.

"You don't even know how nice Junhong is. He's so sweet and kind," another one fawns. I try my best not to roll my eyes and simply nod, turning around and realising to my horror my path is blocked by none other than Choi Junhong and his fanclub. I meet Junhong's eyes, surprised by how tall he is, and try to jostle past Junhong's fans.

"Excuse me..."

I bite back a sigh, my words drowned out by the screams. Junhong seems to be the only one who heard me and he apologetically moves aside.

"I'm so sorry. Everyone, please move aside. Youngjae wants to pass."

"Okay!" The boys chime. Surprised that Junhong knows my name, I shake it off, thanking him softly and speeding past him. Just in time to go meet Mr. Kim.

Racing up the stairs, I frown when the screams seem to follow me, dwindling finally as I reach the third floor. I head to the music room and slow down in my tracks, seeing Daehyun leaning against the door. The same senior from just now walks towards me and stops at the music room, sparing me a shocked glance before lowering his head. Junhong walks by me and smiles kindly at me, coming to a stop at the music room too.

Why are they all waiting outside the music room? Are they getting punished too? I step forward, surprised, when Mr. Kim arrives with a bright smile. He claps his hands together.

"I'm glad you guys are all here on time." He beckons me over and I scoot towards him. "I called you students here for a wonderful piece of news. Goyang High will be sending out a string quartet for the January concert in Washington with eight other schools in Korea. You four will be working as a team."

Wow... I didn't expect that at all... Instantly, the happiness floods me, before the realisation that I have to work in a quartet weighs down on me. It's not that I want the spotlight to myself but I'm not good at working with other people. Besides, I don't know any of these people. Daehyun is especially somebody who I wouldn't want to work with. He was so unfriendly just now.

"I'm shocked... This is really flattering; I don't deserve the chance to work with such talented people. I'm so thankful to have this opportunity," Junhong says, beaming at us. "I look forward to working with you all!"

"Whatever," Daehyun mutters, ruffling through his hair. "All of you, just make sure you guys do your part and don't screw up."

Himchan fidgets around and meets my gaze. He quickly looks to Mr. Kim and breathes, "Thank you for the opportunity, but are you sure..."

"Of course I am. You guys are the most talented bunch here in Goyang High. We need a lot of practice in coordinating all the voices of your instruments, but I'm sure we can easily reach that goal with such skilled students."

"Thank you, Mr. Kim. I'll work hard and do my best," I say, inwardly quite nervous. All of them are so talented. Junhong is amazing at the viola; Daehyun is famous for his cello playing; Himchan has gotten his own violin solo because of how skilled he is. Can I reach up to their standard?

"Shall we try and practise together now?"

I nod to Mr. Kim's suggestion, filing into the room with the other three boys. I take in a deep breath as Mr. Kim hands us the sheet music for a classical song Only You. As we start playing, despite all of us playing well individually, we sound so disharmonious and dissonant. It hurts to listen to how clashing we are, as though all of us are simply playing on our own while disregaring everybody else.

We come to a close, Daehyun folding his arms. "That was terrible."

"It's expected, since you guys aren't familiar with one another's music style and haven't yet learnt how to harmonise," Mr. Kim says with a reassuring look.

"Yeah," Junhong sighs, mustering up a small smile. "Shall we practise again?"

We nod in unison, practising for an hour or so with not much improvement. Despite Mr. Kim trying to guide us, we still sound so clashing. Daehyun lets out a growl of frustration as we put down our instruments.

"What about we try again tomorrow?" Mr. Kim suggests, smiling encouragingly. "We still have a lot of time till the concert, so don't worry." He looks around the music room and asks, "Can somebody stay behind to help clean up the room? Sorry for the inconvenience."

"I'll do it, Mr. Kim," I offer.

"I can help too," Junhong readily says.

"...Me too," Himchan starts softly.

"I'm leaving," Daehyun mutters, glimpsing at me and striding out of the room. Did I just see his cheeks pink?

Mr. Kim nods. "Well, just choose one of them, Youngjae. I'll be taking my leave first." Mr. Kim winds out of the room.

Who should I pick?

 

Junhong | Himchan