The Beginning

Valentine Sonata 『 ᴄʜᴏᴏꜱᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ 』

Bookmark the page to remember where you left off!

 

 

 

Hi, my name's Yoo Youngjae. All my life, I've always aspired to be a professional violin player. I remember the day my aunt brought me to the performance hall in Seoul and I heard a live orchestra for the first time. I melted into the wonderful music and the violin sounds especially stood out to me. It was elegant; it was romantic; it was so full of life yet could sound so sad in the next moment.

After that trip, I begged my parents to buy me a violin and have been playing ever since. I am now studying in Goyang Boys' School, a high school for the performing arts. Life has been rather mundane these few years after my enrollment. I have been studying hard and practising even harder, wanting to one day be good enough to perform on stage. As a soloist, I always feel lacking compared to many others.

"Youngjae!" My teacher, Mr. Kim, waves to me just as I start packing my bag, ready to leave.

"Yes, Mr. Kim?"

"Can you stay behind for a while?" He asks, checking his time. "I want to talk to you after my next class. It'll end at two, so you can go have your lunch first. Meet me at the music room later."

Nodding, I zip up my backpack, inwardly wondering if I had done something wrong. Maybe I've been doing poorly for practices. After all, my technique is getting weaker. It seems right but there's always something missing whenever I play. I''m always afraid that maybe I'm just not that great of a player and that can't be changed, so I practise hard and tirelessly to prove myself wrong.

Pacing down the hallway, I hear a melodious music coming from the practice room. It's the sound of a cello, low and elegant. It sounds so beautiful. I linger outside, wandering who's playing it. I'm afraid to disturb the player but I'm wondering who can play so well.

 

Peek insideHead to the canteen