Chapter 3 - Getting to Know

Introducing K-pop: Season 1

Chapter 3 - Getting to Know

 


“Keya, are you ready?” Stacy asks through the room door as she knocks on it. After a second the door opens. “Yeah, I’m ready.” Keya says as she steps out the room. Looking over her outfit, Stacy shakes her head. “Of course your shirt is plaid.” she says motioning to the red, black, and white plaid shirt that Keya was wearing. “How many did you bring with you?”

Keya shrugs. “I’m pretty sure I brought like 15 or 20 of them.” she states as they walk down the hall. Stacy shakes her head. “You’re crazy.” she states. Keya scoffs. “Yeah, okay, because out of the two of us, I’m the crazy one.” she says sarcastically. Stacy lets out a laugh. “Of course you are.” she says.

The two walk into the living room where Suyun and Lina sat. “Are you two ready to go?” Lina asks. The two nods. “Yep all set.” Keya says picking up a bag that sat on the floor next to the couch. “I’m surprised your bag isn’t plaid.” Stacy says pointing at the blue bag. Suyun looks at her. “She probably has one in her room though.” Keya just smiles making the others laugh.

“I’m telling you guys, plaid is part of my life. I love it.” Keya asks. Stacy laughs. “We know.” she says picking up her own bag. Picking up their own bags, Lina and Suyun also picks up their cameras. “Okay everyone make sure you have your cards before we go.” Lina says. The four checks their bags before giving each other thumbs up.

With that the group walks to the door and slides on their shoes. Walking out the apartment, they make sure the door is locked. “Okay, so, we’re going to have to take the stairs because Keya doesn’t do elevators.” Stacy informs. The two sisters nod. “Don’t like elevators?” Suyun asks as they walk to the stairs.

Keya shakes her head. “Not at all. I only take them if it’s the last option.” she states. “Only if necessary.” she says as they walk down the stairs. Lina nods. “Probably don’t like crowded places either.” she states. Keya shrugs. “I’m okay with crowds as long as I have enough room for my own personal space, then I’m good.” she says.

Walking through the clear door at the bottom of the staircase, the group is greeted by Haneul. “Good afternoon ladies.” she greets. Greeting back, the four walk over to her, joining her on one of the couches. “Okay so today, you girls will be joining your groups. It will be the first official day with them.” Haneul states. “For you, Stacy, the boys should be here soon to pick you up. Some of the members have to go film for a variety show. And for you, Keya, your boys have a free schedule today. So you all have to decide on something to do.”

Keya nods and was about to asks something when a song begins to sound throughout the lobby. Tilting her head, Keya digs into her pocket. “He set a ringtone?” she asks pulling out her phone. Looking at the screen, she lets out a laugh. “He set his ringtone as one of his verses from ‘I Remember’ and then set his name as Gukkie.” she showing the screen to Stacy. Swiping the screen to answer, Keya puts the phone on speaker. “Yes, Gukkie?” she greets into the phone making Stacy laugh.

Hearing laugher on the other line, Keya notes that she was also on speaker. “You’re already calling him a nickname?” Himchan’s voice asks from the background. Keya laughs. “That’s what it’s stored under in my phone. I didn’t change anything.” she states. “But anyways, good afternoon to you all.” she greets.

“Good afternoon to you all too.” Yongguk’s voice says. “Are you ready for the day?” he asks.

“Yep, just came down stairs.”

“We’re getting ready to leave.” he states. “Shall we meet up at a café?”

“Okay. Which one?”

“There’s not one too far from your dorms. It’s called ‘Soul Café’. I’ll message you the address.”

“I know where it’s at. It’s in walking distance.” Suyun informs.

“Oh, okay, that’s covered.” Keya says. “Should we meet up now?” she asks.

“Now is good. We’re about to head out the door now.”

“Okay then, I’ll see you guys there. Bye.”

“Bye.”

 

Hanging up her phone, Keya looks at Stacy. “So this is where we part for the day.” she says. Stacy nods. “Yep, I’ll call you later. Oh, I finally made a twitter. Just for me to share pictures and videos. I followed you, just so you know.” she states. Keya lets out a laugh. “Okay, I’ll make sure to follow you back later.” she says standing up.

Standing up also, Suyun lifts and positions her camera on her shoulder. “Okay then, we’ll see you girls later.” she says turning to Keya. Saying bye also, Keya follows Suyun to the door. “And off we go.” Suyun says as she flips on her camera and presses record as they make their way out the building.

“The building is about a ten minute walk from here. Is that okay?” Suyun asks as they begin walking down the street. Keya looks at her. “You’re the one with the camera, I should ask you that.” she says with a small laugh. Suyun smiles. “Don’t worry about me. I’m used to the weight of a camera.” she says.

“So how long have you and your sister been VJs?” Keya asks as they turn a counter. Suyun tilts her head to the side. “I’ve been one for about four years and she’s been one for about two.” she states. “She didn’t think she’ll like it, but now she loves It.” she adds. Keya nods. “It’s seems like an interesting job.” she says.

“It is.” Suyun says. “You get to meet and work with a lot of different people. It’s hard work sometimes, but so is every job.” she says. Keya nods. “Oh, so true.” she says. “But it’ll be great working with you. I’m sure we’ll become good friends.” he says. Suyun nods. “I hope so since we’ll be staying in the same place for the next six months.” she says with a laugh.

“Oh there’s the café.” Suyun says pointing with her free hand. Looking up ahead, Keya spots a sign with the word ‘Soul’ on it. Adjusting her glasses, Keya follows her up to the building. “Oh they’re here.” she states as she spots the six boys through the window of the cafe. As she opens the door, a small bell sounds off. Holding the door opened she lets Suyun walk in first. “Thank you.” Suyun says as Keya walks in behind her.

Keya smiles to her before leading the way over to the boys of B.A.P. “Hello all.” she greets as they come into distance of the table they were at. The group sat at a square table; Yongguk and Zelo sat on one side; Jongup and Himchan sat on another side; and Youngjae and Daehyun sat on the third side. On the fourth side sat two empty chairs. The boys look up and wave to her as they greet back. “This is Suyun Choi. She’s my VJ for the show so she’ll be joining us on our adventures.” Keya introduces. As they greet each other, Keya pulls out the chairs.

“Here you go.” Keya says to Suyun. Suyun smiles but shakes her head. “I’m good. I’ll stand so that I can get a better view of everyone.” she says. Keya nods before sitting down in one of the chairs, hanging her bag on the back of it. “Well if you get tired use it. Don’t know how long we’ll be here.” she says. Suyun nods. “Okay, but trust me, I’m fine. Remember I’ve been doing this for a while. I’ve built the endurance for holding a camera for a long period of time. Thank you though.” she says.

Keya nods before turning to the six boys at the table with her. “Soo... what shall we do?” she asks. The group looks at each other before shrugging. “Well since this is the beginning of you joining us, how about we get to know each other.” Yongguk suggests. “Should we ask each other questions?” he asks. Keya adjusts her glasses. “That sounds fine to me, but I already know a lot about you guys already. So you guys can ask questions first.”

“Okay, let’s start basic. We know your name.” Daehyun says. “When’s your birthday?” he asks. Keya smiles. “It’s a day you all already know.” she says. The boys raise a brow. “Really? Is it our debut date?” Zelo asks. Keya shakes her head. “No, but close.” she says. “It’s two days before. January 24th.” she states. The group all turns and look at Youngjae. “What really? We’re Birthday Buddies?” he asks. Keya nods. “Yeah, I found it super awesome that I shared a birthday with one of you.” she says.

“But the only difference though is that I was born three years earlier in 1991.”  Keya states. The boys turn to her with widen eyes. “You’re 26?” Jongup asks. Keya nods. “25 if you’re going by American age.” she states. Zelo shakes his head. “No, you can’t be that old. You’re about 20.” he says. Keya lets out a laugh. “Thank you. But really I’m 25/26.” she says. The boys look at Suyun, who nods. “Yeah, I didn’t believe it either, so I had her show me her ID. She was really born in ‘91”

“Wow” Zelo says as they look back to Keya. Keya shrugs. “I get it a lot.” she says. “I guess because of the way I am, people think I’m younger than I actually am. At my job I had to show like ten people my ID just for them to believe me too.” she says with a small laugh. “I guess it’s a good thing. But sometimes there’s those moments when it’s not.” she says. “I’ll think of it as positive today.”

 

“Oh, what’s your job?” Jongup asks.

“I’m an assistant store manager for the restaurant I work at.”

“Really? How long have you worked there?” Daehyun asks.

“For five years.”

“Five years and you’re already an assistant?” Himchan asks.

“Yeah, I like learning new things. And my restaurant has a lot of things to learn.”

“So you’ve graduated around 2009 right? Did you go to college?” Yongguk asks.

“I did for like a year and a half. Before I had to stop.”

“Why did you stop?” Youngjae asks.

“I stopped to help out my mom.” Keya replies.

“To help out your mom?” Jongup asks.

“Yeah, one of her rules was, if under her roof, you have two options: Go to school or have a job.” Keya states. “But the bills were getting too much for her to handle herself. So I decided to help. I’m setting myself up to enroll again for night classes the beginning of next year.”

“Ah, tell them what your major is.” Suyun says.

“Animation.”

“Do you draw?” Jongup asks.

“Yes, I love drawing.”

“Really?” Zelo says. “Someone give her a piece of paper and a pencil.” As if thinking the same thing, Youngjae pulls a few pieces of paper and pencil out a bag on the floor next to him.

“Thank you.” Keya says with a small laugh as she takes the items.

“Should we stay quiet while you draw?” Youngjae asks.

“Nah, I’m used to noises. You can continue asking questions.” Keya asks before looking at the paper in front of her.

“Okay then, what are your favorite foods?” Daehyun asks.

“Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.” Keya says. She then looks up to see the boys looking at her with raised brows. “I eat a lot of sweets. I mean I’ve toned down since high school. But I still eat too much.”

“Exactly how much is too much?” Youngjae asks.

“Most of the items in my bag are candy.” Keya answers, pointing to the bag behind her. “But I eat a lot in general anyways.”

“Okay what are your favorite foods, beside chocolate?” Zelo asks.

“Ah, pizza and hamburgers.” she says as she begins to stretch on the paper.

“What about fruit?” Jongup asks.

“I love pineapples. I like grapes and mango too. And I like eating candy blueberry and raspberry flavored, thought I haven’t ate the actual fruits in a very long while.”

“What about strawberries?” Himchan asks.

“Yeah, no, I can’t eat them.”

“Are you allergic?”

“No, but I can’t ingest them.” Keya states. “If I try to eat one, I will throw it up. I’ve had a few experiences with strawberry that makes me stay away from them. If I get candy strawberry flavored, I usually give it to someone else.”

“A bad experience during childhood usually stops people from an item.” Suyun says.

“Yeah one of my coworkers told me that too. It’s been about 15 years and I’m sure I’m not eating one anytime soon. Nor do I have the desire to.”

“Okay enough about food. It’s making me hungry and I’m sure it’s going the same to you all.” Daehyun says. “What other hobbies do you have?”

“Umm... I like to write, dance, skateboard... you already know I draw... I like reading manga and watching anime...”

“Wait stop.” Zelo says. “You dance and skateboard? Really?” he asks.

“I only do already choreographed dances; I can’t free-style to save my life. And yes, I skateboard. I learned from my brother.”

“Brother? How many siblings do you have? Are you the youngest?” Youngjae asks.

“Yeah, I’m the youngest. I have a brother, who’s the oldest. Then two sisters in between us.”

“Four kids, sounds a bit crazy.” Suyun says.

“Oh it was. I tried to stay out of most of the craziness when younger. You know, sit back watch the others get in trouble. Or get them in trouble.” she says with a laugh. “But I loved it. And I may be a bit biased when I say this, but I think my mom did a job great raising four.”

“No dad?” Youngjae asks slowly.

“Well I know him and talk to him every now and then. But he’s not really included in my picture when someone asks. My mom is enough for me.”

 

A second later, Keya sits down the pencil. “Done.” she says holding up the paper. “I can only draw two different semi detailed pictures quickly off the top of my head.” she states. Jongup smiles. “It’s a chibi Naruto.” he states. The picture she drew was of a chibi Naruto hanging on an orange. “Can I have it?” he asks. Keya nods. “Sure.” she says. Signing the bottom of it, she then hands it to Jongup. “Jongup, I think you’ve found another friend.” Daehyun says.

Keya smiles. “Hey, you ever want to talk about Anime or Manga, I’m your girl.” she says. “I love having someone to talk the books and shows with.” she says. Youngjae looks at her. “Do you play video games too?” he asks. Keya scrunches up her nose. “Well... I play a few online RPGs.” she says. “But I don’t play the games like Resident Evil or Borderlands. But only because I at those games. I do enjoy watching as others play them though.”

“Should I just marry you now to save trouble?” Jongup asks making the others laugh. Keya smiles. “I think you’ll fit in well, you even got Jongup interested in getting to know you.” Youngjae says. Keya lets out a small laugh. “That’s good to know. I know the next six months will be a great time.”

“Hey, I have a question.” Himchan says. Keya looks at him and nods. “Sure, what’s up?” she asks. Himchan sits up in his chair. “Okay, so this has been bugging me since yesterday when we met you.” he says. “I’m pretty sure I remember your face from somewhere. You live in the states. And you went to two of our concerts right?”

Keya nods. “Correct. I attended the ones in Chicago.” she states. Yongguk looks at her. “But you weren’t part of any meet and greet were you?” he asks. Keya shakes her head. “I know.” Daehyun says smiling as he sits forward in his chair. “She’s the security girl we ran into after the concert to get directions during LOE.” he says. “She told us where to go and told Himchan ‘Happy Birthday’. I remember that because she actually spoke Korean to us but she wasn’t one of our staff members or Powerhouse’s.” he informs.

Keya smiles. “You remember me.” she says. “I must say I feel honored.” she adds as she begins doodling on the blank piece of paper in front of her. Himchan tilts his head. “It was irritating me because I couldn’t remember correctly. So I asked Yongguk but he didn’t remember too well either.” he says. “I remember now. I remember we interrupted your phone call.” he adds.

Daehyun looks at her. “I remember clearly because you saved my life during AWAKE.” he states. The others look at him. “Saved your life? How?” Suyun asks. Youngjae turns and looks at Keya. “Ohhhh, that means you’re the girl that caught him when he slipped.” he states. He then looks at the others. “He’s over reacting a bit, but when we were there, we were walking in one of the back hallways and part of a hall was slippery but Daehyun didn’t see the sign.” he explains.

“But luckily Keya was there.” Daehyun says. Youngjae nods. “When he was going down, she caught him. Then preceded to lecture him on watching where he was going.” he says with a laugh. Daehyun smiles. “I wasn’t able to thank her because another security guard needed her help.” he states. Keya looks at him. “Ah, that’s why you thanked me yesterday.” she states. Daehyun nods. “Yep and we’re going to be best friends okay?”

“Wait so you’re a security guard too?” Zelo asks before she could say anything. Keya shakes her head. “No, I have a friend who works at that theater. During AWAKE he needed help with translating. And during LOE, I was wearing a dress and he didn’t want me to get cold while I was waiting.” she states. Youngjae raises a brow. “You wore a dress to the concert?” he asks. Keya shakes her head again. “No, I changed after the concert because I had a date.”

“A concert and a date in the same date?” Daehyun asks. “That’s a lot in one day.” he says. “So, you have a boyfriend?” he asks. Keya shakes her head. “No, we broke up not long after.” she states nonchalantly. Hearing silence fill the air afterwards, Keya looks up to see the six looking at each other. “You’ll are curious, I can see it. It’s okay to ask questions about the situation.” she says with a laugh before going back to drawing. “Trust me; I’ve answered them plenty of times.”

“Okay, then how long did you two date?” Himchan is the first to ask a question. Keya tilts her head. “For two and a half years.” she answers. Himchan nods. “Seemed serious… Why did you two break up?” he asks. Keya lets out a sigh as she pushes her glasses back onto her face. “Popular politics.” she states.

The six boys look at each other with raised brows before looking back at the girl drawing. “What do you mean by that?” Jongup asks. Keya shrugs. “Oh, I wasn’t into politics and I wasn’t popular enough for him anymore.” she states. Another wave of silence settles over them. “You’re kidding right?” Youngjae asks. “That can’t be right.”

“Oh but it is.” Keya says sits her pencil down and looking up at them. “We knew each other since high school. We were friends but it never went any farther because he was always dating one of the top girls in school that everyone knew of. He was somewhat part of that ‘popular’ group.” she states. “However after high school, my name stuck out a little in the business world of our small towns and that’s when he asked me out.” she continues.

“Until I moved, the towns that I work in and lived in were next to each other. And in the town I work in, it’s basically a community where everyone knows everyone. With me working in a restaurant, I see a lot of the people of the town regularly and I work five out of seven days, so I’m well-known. But then came the election for a new mayor for that town.” she says. “The moment the nominees were announce he started acting weird then he broke up with me. And it wasn’t that long after that I found out he started dating one of the nominees’ daughter.”

“That sounds ty.” Jongup says. “Did you notice any warning signs that could have foreseen it afterwards?” he asks. Keya nods. “I mean he always talked about being more out there in the community and getting to know others, which is fine if you’re helping. But then he always wanted to talk about politics. It was always politics this and that.” she says. “I could have probably seen it sooner but I didn’t. Too late now. We’re cool around each other now and I’m over it.”

“You seem very mature about it all.” Himchan says.

“Were you mad at him?” Zelo asks.

“Yeah, I was at first.” Keya says. “But then I thought to myself. ‘If who I am isn’t good enough for him, then why should I bother?’ Especially when I was fine with where and how I was. If you have to change who you are to please someone and there’s nothing wrong with you, then they’re the ones not worth it.”

“Oh, such wise words.” Daehyun says.

“I try. I’m usually the shrink for my group of friends and employees. Plus it’s not like he cheated or something. He broke it off correctly.”

“Well then what’s your opinion on idol’s dating?” Youngjae asks. Keya looks at him. “What about it?” she asks. “I think it’s okay for them to date. Even if it’s each other.” she adds. Jongup sits up in his chair. “What if it was Kyuhyun-shi who was announced dating, what would you say?” he asks.

“I would say: ‘It’s about damn time.’” Keya says. Himchan lets out a small laugh. “Really?” he asks. Keya nods. “Yes, oh my… do you know how long I’ve been waiting for news of those boys to even attempt relationships. They could reveal that they’re dating each other for all I care. But they’re not the worst case. Don’t even get me started on the men of Shinhwa.” she says. “But anyways. I hate that there are some fans who think that idols shouldn’t date. They’re still people. They still have personal lives. If idols can’t date then their fans shouldn’t be allowed to either. But who’s going to follow that rule? No one. Not even that, if it’s not affecting them and their love for music or the person they’re dating isn’t a menace to sociality, why does it even matter? Who are we to judge who they want to be with?”

“This seems to be hitting a nerve for you.” Yongguk says. Keya looks at him. “Yeah, I can get very heated about this topic.” she says. “Especially with the whole marriage thing with Sungmin. I’ve been an ELF literally, not kidding, literally, since the day they debuted. And we all know how some fans took his situation.” she says.

“So you were fine with the whole thing?” Youngjae asks. Keya shrugs. “For the most part. Only problem I had is that I wished he would have trusted us fans enough to announce earlier that they were dating. That way it wouldn’t have been a double shock with: boom, dating, then boom again, marriage.” she says. “But I’m happy for him. One down, fourteen more to go.” she says sighing.

“You’re one of those people who gets excited when it’s announced that someone’s date, aren’t you?” Daehyun says. Keya lets out a small laugh. “Majority of the time.” she says. “Especially for idols. I mean, it’s already hard for you all to date because of being constantly in the public’s eye. Sometimes you have to be very conscious of what you do. Hey, you even have to be conscious on whom you date because you don’t want them dating you for the wrong reasons.”

“But even if you don’t date, great friends are good too.” Keya says. “If there’s someone who’s standing alongside you as you go through not only your great times but also hard times, then you should keep that person in your life. As much as people say you can, you actually can’t get through this world alone. Having even one person who has your back fully is enough to overcome it all.”

The group stares at her in silence for a moment. “Woow, Keya, you really can be a therapist.” Jongup says. Keya smiles. “I try to be as wise as I can.” she says. “It’s good to keep a logical head on your shoulders.” she says. Zelo sits back in his chair. “Okay guys, change of plans, so when we have a problem, we call her first so that she could give us advice.” he says making the others laugh.

~

After hours of talking, eating, and talking again, the group decides to call it a day. “Okay, we’ll see you guys tomorrow.” Keya says. “Just message me in the morning where to go and I’ll see you then.” she states. Saying their byes, Keya and Suyun makes their way out the café. Waving through the window, they begin walking down the street.

“They’re a great group of boys.” Suyun says. Keya nods. “Yeah they are.” she says. “I’m glad I’m getting the chance to get to know them more first handedly.” she says. “Nice to know they’re the crazy little dorks that I thought they were. It’s easier for me to fit in now.” she says making Suyun laugh.

“You’re going to have so much fun filming for this show.” Suyun says. Keya looks at her. “You too.” she says. “You’ll be with me the whole time, so we’re in this together.” she states. “When we get missions, you’re going to be part of the team too. Our team has eight members, not seven. So don’t be surprised if one day I ask you to sit the camera down and join. You’re part of the show too. They did me today, so tomorrow will be let’s learn facts about Suyun.”

“You’re adorable, you know that?” Suyun asks. Keya pushes up her glasses as she shrugs. “I’m just saying. You’re part of the show too. So have fun when doing it. I love it when they include the crew into the shows.” she says. “So, you’ll be included too. You get to experience the different moments too.” she says.

 


And that's Chapter 3. It's basically just a filler chapter to get to know the main character.

Thanks for reading.