Lunar New Year

SaTzu One-Shots

Lunar New Year is a special day for many people, specifically Eastern Asians. They probably cherish this day more than the Gregorian New Year. Following the lunar calendar is still very important for many traditional families; it is a sacred calendar that was created based on the moon cycle. It is truly a joyful day for many. Delicious food is served, decorations are placed everywhere, and most importantly: families get together.

Unfortunately, girlfriends Sana and Tzuyu haven’t quite gotten to that last point yet. They’ve been fighting for the last half hour about whose country they should visit first. Both of them got a week off work for the Lunar New Year holiday. The couple wanted to visit both of their home countries and celebrate Lunar New Year with each other’s families, but they both stubbornly wanted to go first.

I’m the older one! You should respect my wishes!” Sana shouted, standing up from their couch.

You’re the older one! You should take care of me and satisfy my wishes!” Tzuyu countered back.

“Tzuyu-”

“I have a dog to go back to! You don’t!” Tzuyu grumbled. She missed her dog, Gucci.

“Tzuyu...” Sana sat on Tzuyu’s lap. “Agree to go to Japan and I’ll reward you later.”

Tzuyu gulp. “What kind of reward are we talking about here?”

“You’ll see, after we’re done with Lunar New Year.” Sana winked. Tzuyu stared at Sana for a moment, fathoming whether or not this was worth it. She had to choose between seeing her family quicker or have a potentially very y rendezvous with Sana.

Tzuyu sighed. She could not pass up a y Sana.

“Fine.”

“Yay!” Sana kissed both of Tzuyu’s cheeks and pulled her up from the couch. “Grab your bags, we need to get to the airport quick!” Sana and Tzuyu already packed. They’ve been ready for days, they just spent many of it arguing.

“A kiss on the cheek? That’s nothing!” Tzuyu pouted.

Sana giggled, “I gave you two kisses on the cheek!”

“That’s still nothing!”

Sana rolled her eyes before grabbing the hem of Tzuyu’s shirt and pulling her close. A sound smack could be heard in the room as Sana roughly kissed Tzuyu. Tzuyu couldn’t hold back a groan at Sana’s rough actions. Before Tzuyu could even lay her hands on Sana, Sana pulled away.

“Better?”

“Much.”

The two hailed a taxi and set off for the airport. They had gotten up really early. They both knew that they were going to try to visit both countries before the official day of Lunar New Year ended. The flight from Korea to Japan is about two hours. The flight from Japan to Taiwan is almost three hours. They left the house around 6:00 A.M. They could spend about six hours in each other’s country if they stayed on schedule.

Tzuyu looked at Sana and smiled when she saw Sana kicking her feet excitedly. She’s like a child.

“So, did you already call the airport and tell them to book our flight for today?” Tzuyu asked with a hopeful look. You couldn’t believe how many times they had to cancel a trip because of Sana’s forgetfulness to book tickets.

“I had this flight booked since last week,” Sana replied with a smirk. Tzuyu’s eyes widened.

“You knew that we were going to fight about this for a week? You knew I was going to cave in first?”

“Of course I knew. I know you, Tzuyu,” Sana chuckled. She Tzuyu’s hair and planted a loving kiss on Tzuyu’s forehead. “And you always cave in first.”

“I suppose I do.” Tzuyu wasn’t really complaining though, she loves the rewards she gets from Sana.

“What do you plan to do when we get to Japan?” Tzuyu asked.

“Well first of all, spend time with my family, of course.”

Tzuyu nodded. “Of course.”

“After that, I’m going to show you my culture and traditions!” Sana clapped her hands. “I’m going to take you to a festival, force you to eat tons of food, and buy you some traditional clothing!”

Honestly, that sounded like a lot of fun to Tzuyu; especially the ‘eating tons of food’ part.

“Can’t wait.”

“Me neither.”

Eventually, the taxi driver finally dropped them off at the airport. Due to the harsh traffic, they barely made it on their flight in time. Sana and Tzuyu quickly checked in and went through security. They were the last people to board the plane.

“We almost missed the flight!” Tzuyu whined.

“But we didn’t~” Sana pointed out the bright side of things.

Tzuyu shook her head as she and Sana placed their carry-on luggage into the little compartment above their seats. Sana couldn’t quite reach it, so Tzuyu ended up having to do all the work.

As usual.

They both got comfortable in their seats. Sana planned for an eventful day in Japan, so she suggested that she slept throughout the flight. She didn’t want Tzuyu to be sleeping during the exciting events. Tzuyu immediately agreed. She couldn’t pass up sleep.

The two knocked out on the short flight. They woke up to the pilot’s announcement that they had arrived. Sana and Tzuyu almost didn’t want to get up. They had gotten way too comfortable. The business class seats were worth it.

The girls took all their items and exited the airplane. After going through the necessary check-out procedure, they finally left Osaka International Airport. Sana took a deep breath as she took in Japan’s fresh air. She was happy to be standing on her home country’s soil. Well, more like sidewalk, but you get the point.

Sana’s parents were waiting for them outside the airport. Apparently, even they knew that they would be arriving in Japan today. Everyone knew that Tzuyu would cave in first.

“My little Sana!” Sana’s mother gushed. “And her tall girlfriend!” She hugged them both. Tzuyu awkwardly smiled at her. She didn’t understand what she was saying. She met them before, quite a few times, actually. Those frequent visits didn’t make the next one any less awkward though.

Sana’s father was placing their luggage into his car. “Let’s go! Daylight is burning!”

Everyone entered the car and they rushed towards Sana’s house. The parents arranged for a huge get together. It didn’t take long before they arrive at Sana’s house. As they walked in the door, Sana’s relatives bombarded her. They spazzed over how much she has grown and how beautiful her girlfriend was. To be honest, Tzuyu thought that they were insulting her with the way they kept pointing at her and shouting.Tzuyu has never felt more awkward.

Everyone at the party-like get together ate snacks and talked about what they’ve done in the past year. Sana engaged into their deep conversation. Tzuyu just stood by Sana’s side and nodded along to everything Sana said.

She had no clue what anyone was talking about. She didn’t care though, she was happy that Sana got to spend time with her family and catch up. She’s never seen Sana so talkative with anyone other than herself. Soon they were given money, as usual on Lunar New Year. Tzuyu was surprised with how much Sana’s family had given her. It was like she was part of the family. Well, she pretty much was.

After a couple of hours, Sana excused herself from her family so that she could take Tzuyu out for some festivities. Her family let her go with a smile. They were glad that she had someone to share her culture and traditions with.

“Are you sure that wasn’t rude of us?” Tzuyu raised an eyebrow.

“Please, they wouldn’t find me rude even if I insulted their most precious kimono, and that’s saying a lot,” Sana assured Tzuyu with a laugh. Tzuyu decided to believe Sana as she was dragged to a little festival.

People from all directions were shouting at people to come visit their booths and try traditional food or buy traditional clothing. It was a pretty loud place, but was comfortably loud. Families could be seen eating and talking together, kids could be seen playing together, and couples could be seen spending a romantic time together. Sana’s eyes twinkled when she saw some people wearing kimonos. She hasn’t seen one in awhile.

“You wanna catch some fish?” Sana led Tzuyu to a fish catching booth. This was a pretty popular activity in Japanese fairs. Tzuyu and Sana smiled when they saw kids trying to catch some fish. Fish were swimming around in a little tank and kids were trying to catch it with a small net. They looked on in horror as a stray cat came out of nowhere and took one of the fish into its mouth. They quickly averted their eyes and continued walking through the busy festival.

“Come on Tzuyu, I want you to try something!” Sana dragged Tzuyu to a little store. A mochi store. “Let’s make mochi!”

“How?” Tzuyu looked at Sana in shock as she received a large wooden mallet.

“It’s easy!” Sana led Tzuyu to an area where the workers allowed customers to make their own mochi. Tzuyu simply blinked as she was lead to a large wooden barrel filled with polished, glutinous rice. Sana chose her favorite flavors to add to the mochi. Tzuyu was surprised when Sana handed her the wooden mallet.

“Pound it!” Sana pointed at the wooden barrel. A Japanese worker kneeled patiently next to the rice, ready to turn and wet the pounded mochi after every hit.

Tzuyu nodded and weakly hit the wet rice with the mallet. The worker looked at Tzuyu with an odd expression and Sana giggled.

“You need to hit harder than that.”

“I don’t want to miss! I also don’t want to hurt the worker,” Tzuyu whined.

“Pretend you’re trying to win me a prize at a carnival,” Sana suggested. “The prize is delicious mochi~”

Tzuyu looked at the barrel with a determined expression. She breathed harshly through her nose before roughing pounding the mochi over and over again. The worker flinched back in fear every time Tzuyu struck the barrel, but he still did his job of turning and wetting the mochi.

After a few minutes, their mochi was complete. The workers packaged the mochi up for them and happily bid them farewell... after they paid, or course. Sana fed Tzuyu some of the mochi and Tzuyu moaned at the taste.

“This is delicious!” Tzuyu ate some more of their freshly made mochi.

“I knew you would like it!”

They continued to eat the mochi and eventually finished it all, much to their disappointment. Sana also took Tzuyu to a traditional garment shop. She wanted to get Tzuyu a furisode kimono. She’s been dying to see Tzuyu in one.

Sana dragged Tzuyu to one of the tailors. The tailor wasted no time in getting Tzuyu’s measurements. Tzuyu stood extremely still throughout this, almost as if she was frozen. She wasn’t used to people other than Sana touching her.

The tailor led Sana and Tzuyu to a number of fabric selections with a variety of designs. Sana helped Tzuyu with the translation as she thought about which design and color she liked best. Tzuyu decided on a pink and red colored kimono. It was also littered with beautiful flower patterns. Sana nodded happily at her choice.

“You’re going to look so good,” Sana couldn’t wait to see Tzuyu in it.

“I hope so,” Tzuyu replied nervously.

“You’re going to look magnificent.”

The tailor actually worked really fast. She didn’t have much costumers today, most people would’ve have gotten their kimonos before Lunar New Year.

Only about half an hour passed before the kimono was fully finished. All the workers helped create it. That made it a much more meaningful experience for Sana and Tzuyu. Sana practically shoved Tzuyu into the little changing room. She wanted to see Tzuyu wear it right now. Tzuyu hesitated before agreeing.

“Are you done yet?” Sana almost wanted to peek inside the changing room.

“Almost!” Tzuyu had one of the female workers help her put it on, much to Sana’s annoyance. She told Tzuyu to leave her clothes on under it, she didn’t want the worker to see what’s hers.

“Are you-”

“Calm down, I’m done.”

Sana’s jaw dropped when Tzuyu stepped out of the changing room with the blushing female worker, who quickly ran off. Sana struggle to keep herself from jumping the poor woman. Tzuyu looked like a perfect doll. The kimono clung to her form perfectly despite the clothes she had on underneath.

“Y-You’re…. You’re… Oh my god.” Sana cupped her own cheeks, she could take her eyes off of Tzuyu.

“Does it look bad?” Tzuyu asked worriedly. She didn’t understand Sana’s reaction.

“Bad? No one on planet earth or any other planet would think you look bad!” Sana shook her head furiously. “You’re absolutely gorgeous!”

Tzuyu blushed from the compliments she received from Sana.

“Thanks.”

“You’re very welcome.” Sana winked. She looked down at her watch and gasped. “We should go back! We need to catch the next flight to Taiwan!” Sana took Tzuyu’s hand and they ran back to Sana’s house.

Sana bowed apologetically at her family for not staying longer, but they waved off her apologies. They told her that she doesn’t have anything to apologize for. Sana and Tzuyu quickly grabbed their stuff and had Sana’s father drive them back to the airport. They barely made it onto their flight again.

Some people looked at Tzuyu weirdly. She was still wearing the kimono. She had no time to take it off, and frankly, Sana wasn’t complaining. Tzuyu was such a joy to look at. Sana also may or may not have tried to jump Tzuyu a few times on the plane. They were asked politely by a flight attendant to not do anything… weird. The girls decided to nap again throughout the flight. They planned to stay up to at least midnight in Taiwan. Tzuyu wanted to show Sana her culture and traditions.

The nearly three hours flight when by like a breeze. The girls felt like they barely blinked before arriving in Tainan, Taiwan. Time goes by fast when you’re not conscious. The two exited the plane and the airport in record time. They couldn’t wait to start their next event. This time, Tzuyu’s parents were outside the airport. It was almost evening now, but there was still plenty of time to do stuff in Taiwan.

“Tzuyu you look beautiful! Did Sana get that for you?” Tzuyu’s mother looked at Sana appreciatively. Sana only understood her name, but she smiled regardless.

“You must’ve had a lot of fun in Japan,” Tzuyu’s father chuckled. Tzuyu nodded.

“I did.”

“Let’s go! We have someone who is very excited to see you!” Tzuyu’s mother ushered them towards their car.

“Gucci?” Tzuyu eyed sparkled.

“Yes!” Tzuyu’s father opened the door and a little dog jumped out into Tzuyu’s arms.

“Gucci!” Tzuyu peppered kisses all over her dog’s face. Gucci barked happily and wiggled in Tzuyu’s arms. Tzuyu loosened her grip on her dog and pouted when Gucci hopped over to Sana’s arms, just as happy.

Sana giggled and pecked Gucci’s little black nose.

“Glad to see you missed me, Gucci.” Tzuyu pouted. Gucci just panted happily as it looked between Sana and Tzuyu. Tzuyu’s parents laughed before ushering them into the car. After they placed everything inside, they drove off to Tzuyu’s house.

Tzuyu’s entire family decided to meet up for a gathering as well, but in a restaurant. They drove to the restaurant directly from the airport. They didn’t want to waste time. Luckily, the restaurant allowed pets as long as they were restrained from unwanted behavior.

Similar to Sana’s family, Tzuyu’s family spazzed over Tzuyu and Sana’s cuteness. They thought they were adorable. Tzuyu’s relatives asked Sana more questions than they asked Tzuyu. Tzuyu had to translate to Sana what they asked her. They asked Sana if Tzuyu took care of her well and if she eats all her vegetables.

Needless to say, Tzuyu was pretty embarrassed.

They also talked about how their careers were going and about possible visits they could make to Korea. Tzuyu agreed that she should visit one day, but only after she cleans up the mess they call their apartment. Everyone laughed at the joke.

After hearing Sana’s laughter, Tzuyu slowly looked at her. “You understood what I said?”

“Nope!” Sana continue to laugh with the family. Tzuyu chuckled. Sana always laughed at everything. She didn’t need to understand anything to find it funny.

A couple of hours passed before everyone handed the younger family members red pocket money. Tzuyu and Sana received a lot, probably more than they received in Japan. The two girls thanked everyone with a grateful heart. Luckily, ‘thank you’ was one of the few phrases that Sana knew how to say in Taiwanese; along with the phrases ‘how are you’ and ‘I love you’.

Tzuyu soon bid her family farewell as she decided to take Sana to her own hometown’s festival. Tzuyu’s parents nearly cried when they saw Tzuyu being affectionate with Sana. They were just too precious. Tzuyu’s relatives wished the couple a happy Lunar New Year as they left.

It didn’t take long before they reached the bright and crowded festival. Sana looked on in awe at the red everything. There were red banners and ribbons everywhere. All the stores had red lanterns hung up around their stores. Tzuyu led Sana to a spot where a performance was happening. Several women in traditional garments were dancing to an old folk song with large fans. Tzuyu couldn’t help but quickly kiss Sana when she saw Sana cutely clap along to the song.

Sana beamed up at her. “This is fun!”

Tzuyu smiled back. “It sure is.”

After the performance ended, Tzuyu led Sana to another popular location: the food stalls. Yes, they just ate, but they couldn’t pass up eating some authentic, fresh traditional foods. Tzuyu bought a few dumplings and chicken pieces. They ate them with a welcoming stomach.

“You should try cooking these for me one day,” Sana suggested, patting her filled belly. Tzuyu snickered and patted Sana’s belly as well.

“Only if you want me to burn the house down, you know I don’t know how to cook well.”

Sana pouted.

Tzuyu poked Sana’s cheek and Sana smiled immediately. She couldn’t be upset with Tzuyu for too long, especially not on this amazing day.

Sana squealed in fright when a few lion dancers ran past her. The lion dancers starting performing while their team members played very loud music to accompany their quick, yet graceful movements. Sana almost wanted to cover her ears, but she didn’t want to appear rude. Tzuyu smiled as she watched the lion dancers transition through difficult stances; she bobbed her head to the loud drums.

"Is it always this loud?!" Sana shouted over the music.

"Yup!"

Tzuyu eventually led Sana away from the lion dance performance. The loud drumming and constant bashing of the cymbals almost blew out their ear drums. The two continued walking up a long path to a grassy, open field. Tzuyu wanted to do one last thing before Lunar New Year officially ended. She wanted to send up a love-filled sky lantern into the night sky. Yes, today is not Taiwan’s Lantern Festival, but this area of the field allowed people to send up sky lanterns if they wished.

Tzuyu bought one of the sky lanterns. She was handed two pens; she gave one of them to Sana. They both wrote on it at the same time. They poured their hearts out into a few sentences. They finished writing after a few minutes. When they pulled back, they smiled widely with tear-shed eyes. They read each other’s wishes with wildly beating hearts.

I hope we continue to live healthily so that we can celebrate many more Lunar New Years together! I can’t imagine a life without my wonderful girlfriend. I wish for us to stay together forever and have more unforgettable experiences.

- Minatozaki Sana

I wish for nothing more than for all my loved ones to be happy, especially my little squirrel. I wish for tremendous success in both of our lives and for us to be together until the end of time (or maybe even beyond that, our love has no limits).

- Chou Tzuyu

The two hugged each other tightly. They stayed in that position for a few minutes before pulling back and lighting their sky lantern. They looked up into the light-filled sky. Their sky lantern was flying higher than anyone else’s. Fate probably chose their wishes to be granted first.

Tzuyu looked at Sana and examined her side profile as she watched their lantern. Tzuyu smiled softly before gently taking hold of Sana’s chin. Sana jumped a bit at the sudden contact and looked at Tzuyu.

“You’re absolutely breathtaking,” Tzuyu whispered. Sana felt tears well up in her eyes again as she wrapped her arms around Tzuyu’s neck, locking her wrists firmly.

“I love you,” Sana has never said anything more truthful before in her life.

“I love you too,” Tzuyu replied, just as loving.

They gently pressed their forehead against one another’s, refusing to have even their heads separated.

“Sana?” Tzuyu kissed Sana’s closed eyelids.

“Yes?” Sana kissed Tzuyu’s nose.

“When can I have my reward?” Tzuyu asked cheekily.

Sana giggled softly bumping Tzuyu’s forehead.

“Now.”

The two quickly met for a passionate kiss. They did it right on time, the citizens of Taiwan began sending fireworks into the sky to celebrate their festive day. Beautiful flashing lights surrounded them as their lips stayed locked. Sana kept a tight hold on Tzuyu’s upper back while Tzuyu the curves of Sana’s body. The people around them couldn’t help but smile at the adorable sight. They could tell that the couple was going to be together for a very long time. Even some kids stopped playing with their firecrackers to cheer on the cute couple.

Sana and Tzuyu didn’t hear a thing though, they had their own little fireworks going off in their heads.

When they ran out of breath, they slowly parted. They breathed heavily onto each other’s face before laughing. Tzuyu leaned in for a few, quick short pecks. Sana responded to every single one with loving pecks of her own.

Sana and Tzuyu looked up again into the dark, yet bright night sky. They quickly found their own sky lantern. They obviously couldn’t make out the details, but they could just tell it was theirs. Two pairs of soulful eyes met each other once more. The smitten couple didn’t say a word as they met for another sweet kiss.

This year’s Lunar New Year has truly been an unforgettable experience for both Sana and Tzuyu.