A Reason to Fight

SaTzu One-Shots

Tzuyu panted as she hid behind the bushes. The sounds of rapid gunfire extremely frightened her. She thought she would be able to handle this. She thought this would be an easy job. She thought she was strong enough to endure the pain and cruel imagery.

She was wrong.

“Tzuyu! Get down!” her superior shouted at her.

Tzuyu winced as she crouched lower behind the bush. When she signed up for the military she did it for the greater good. She wanted to help others, she wanted to protect her nation, she wanted to do something that was worth being proud of.

Tzuyu heard the shouts of a foreign language as the sounds of heavy footsteps neared her comrades.

“Look out!” Tzuyu shouted as she watched her companion get shot. The body fell lifelessly.

“I can’t do this,” Tzuyu gasped out.

“Tzuyu, get a hold of yourself!” her sergeant yelled.

“Y-Yes sir!” Tzuyu replied with shut eyes. She heard something land near her. She then heard a light beeping sound.

“Oh , scatter!” she heard her sergeant shout at everyone.

Tzuyu immediately opened her eyes and looked down. She saw a grenade. She immediately ran deeper into the collapsing forest. She ran as fast as she could; she didn’t look back. The impact of the explosion caused Tzuyu to collapse. Tzuyu nearly wept as she heard the screams of pain from other soldiers.

“I can’t…” Tzuyu took a deep breath and stood up. She looked around cautiously. She saw many of her comrades on the floor, bleeding heavily. Other soldiers that escaped the grenade’s vicious attack quickly attempted to help their companions.

Tzuyu stood there in fear. She knew she wouldn’t be able to help anybody. She couldn’t.

“Tzuyu, I need you to-”

Tzuyu gasped as she watched her sergeant get sniped. Tzuyu didn’t make a sound. She knew better than to start screaming mindlessly. Tzuyu felt a tear drip down her face as she watched her sergeant’s eyes rolled to the back of his head. Tzuyu bent down and gently closed his eyelids. That was the least she could do.

More gunfire could be heard around them.

“Retreat!” she heard one of her other superiors say.

Tzuyu wasted no time and quickly continued running through the forest. She could hear leaves behind her getting shot at. She attempted to run in random directions, away from her team. She didn’t care if she was acting unaccordingly, she just wanted to live.

Tzuyu was alone now. She heard the calm sounds of a nearby river. Tzuyu stopped running and paused behind a tree. She breathed heavily as she tried to compose herself.

She shouldn’t have stopped.

Tzuyu heard the shouts of a foreign language again as she felt a bullet enter her abdomen. Tzuyu didn’t scream. She didn’t shout. She didn’t make a noise. She knew it was over. Tzuyu closed her eyes as she fell to the floor. She knew she lost.

That was the last thing Tzuyu thought of before she out.

______________________________________________________________________

 

Soft humming could be heard in the room. The sound of towel being wrung could also be heard. Tzuyu then heard light footsteps making their way to her. Tzuyu slowly opened her eyes, wincing a bit at the bright sunlight in the room.

Tzuyu looked up and saw a beautiful woman smiling down at her. She held the towel to Tzuyu’s forehead and gently wiped away the dried blood and sweat. Tzuyu looked around a bit and realized that she was in a small cottage in the middle of the woods.

“E-Excuse me…” Tzuyu’s voice was hoarse. The woman giggled softly as she picked up a small cup of water, handing it to Tzuyu. Tzuyu nodded in thanks before downing the drink quickly.

Tzuyu cleared a bit before trying to sit up. She immediately winced. She looked down and noticed that she was only in her tanktop. She saw a white fabric tied around her waist. The white fabric was slightly red, presumably from the blood that escaped her wound.

Tzuyu heard a slight cough and looked up. The mysterious woman held up little tweezers. In them was a small bullet. Tzuyu understood.

The strange woman helped her.

“You saved me?” Tzuyu asked in awe. The woman smiled again and nodded.

“Why? You could’ve just left me there.” Tzuyu watched the woman curiously as she continued to wipe her face.

“That wouldn’t have been humanly of me,” she giggled.

“W-What’s your name?” Tzuyu asked.

“What’s yours?” the woman apparently didn’t want to answer first.

“Tzuyu.”

The woman nodded before replying, “Sana.”

“Sana…” Tzuyu tested the name. Sana nodded, glad that they know at least this much about each other.

Sana stood up and walked towards the bucket of water again. She accidentally stubbed her toe on a nearby table leg. Sana cursed a bit in frustration.

Tzuyu realized that she didn’t understand anything Sana just said. She did recognize, however, what language she was speaking. Sana was speaking the language of her enemies.

“Y-You’re one of them…” Tzuyu said softly. Tzuyu wasn’t scared though, not that much. If the woman wanted to hurt her, she would have done so by now.

“Yes… and no,” Sana sighed.

“You understand me though… have you studied my language?” Tzuyu was surprised with how well Sana understood her. She was taught that her rivaling nation were illiterate and uneducated.

“I had to, it was part of my studies when I… Nevermind,” Sana replied. She gently rubbed her toe before continuing her way to the bucket of water. Sana washed her hands a bit before drying them with a cloth.

“Studies? What are you? I mean, who are you? What do you do?” Tzuyu hammered questions towards Sana.

“Please, let’s discuss this later,” Sana said as she walked towards the small fire in the middle of the cottage. She removed the pot that was rested above the flame.

“Okay, sorry,” Tzuyu apologized.

Sana brought the warm pot towards Tzuyu. She set the pot down on a small table before picking up a spoon and scooping up a bit of the pot’s contents.

“Would you like some soup?” Sana asked politely.

“No thanks, I’m not very hungry right now,” Tzuyu gently denied.

“Okay, let me know when you are.” Sana sipped a bit of her soup.

“Can I ask you a few questions? It won’t be about who you really are, I promise,” Tzuyu suddenly said.

“Sure,” Sana shrugged.

“Why did you save me? You must’ve recognized my uniform. You must’ve known that I’m the… enemy.” Tzuyu was genuinely curious.

“I didn’t see you as a woman in uniform, I saw you as a woman who got shot and needed help,” Sana replied.

“W-What if I realized that you were one of them and decided to hurt you?” Tzuyu asked with wide eyes.

“When I saw your unconscious face, I knew you wouldn’t be able to hurt a fly,” Sana chuckled.

“I-I’ve hurt people before... “ Tzuyu stated quietly. She looked around and realized that her firearms were gone.

“W-Where’s my weapons?” Tzuyu asked.

“I didn’t pick them up when I helped you. I don’t like… violence.”

“Oh…” Tzuyu tried to sit up again, but groaned in pain.

“You shouldn’t move so much, your body is probably exhausted. You were out for two day, after all.

“Two days?!” Tzuyu was surprised.

“Yes,” Sana chuckled. “You slept like a baby.”

“You said you don’t like violence, but you’re… here. In the woods, I mean. A lot of violence took place in these woods recently,” Tzuyu pointed out.

Sana shook her head. “I’m here because I don’t like violence. The war didn’t reach here until about a week ago. I was living a pretty calm life up to then.”

“How are you not hating me?” Tzuyu asked. “I am a part of this war… I’m part of this violence.”

“Something tells me that you aren’t who you seem to be.” Sana smiled knowingly. “You seem like someone that just wants to change the world, but not like this.”

Tzuyu didn’t say anything, she just nodded silently.

“Why did you choose to be who you are?” Sana asked softly.

“You mean a soldier?” Tzuyu looked up.

“If that’s what you want to call yourself, sure.”

“I honestly don’t know… My parents were both part of the military base, I guess I thought I belonged here.” Tzuyu shook her head. “You’re right, I join the military thinking I would have fun, I didn’t expect all this.”

“Maybe you’re not meant for this role,” Sana interjected gently.

“Maybe not.”

The two stayed in a comforting silence for a few minutes.

“A-Are you a soldier too? For your people, I mean. Did you escape from your base after you realized that you hated violence?” Tzuyu decided to ask.

“No, I’m not a soldier; never was,” Sana replied. She took a few more sips of her soup.

“Oh.”

“Why are your people doing what they are doing?” Sana asked this time.

“You mean hurting your people?”

“Yes.”

“I think it’s because… I’m not sure, really.” Tzuyu’s eyes widened when she realized she didn’t know why she was fighting. “They’ve always just told me that your people don’t deserve to live.”

“Do you think we don’t deserve to live?”

“I don’t think that at all… I just do what I’m suppose to do.”

“What are you suppose to do, exactly?” Sana took another sip of her soup.

“Stop your people from reaching our people, stop you guys from… existing… I guess.”

Sana nodded slowly. “I see.”

“I’ve been taught that if we don’t fight for what we want, we’ll never get anywhere.

“Makes sense, but do we really have to kill for what we want?” Sana looked into Tzuyu’s eyes, waiting for her answer.

“I guess not…”

“You and your fellow soldiers are killing people that are just like you: people that want to protect their nation, people that want to make a difference,” Sana explained.

Tzuyu didn’t know what to say, she just listened.

“You follow your superior’s orders, why? Because you think their promises of peace are real?”

Tzuyu didn’t say a word.

“I don’t see why we can’t live peacefully.” Sana shook her head. “Sure, there are a lot of evil people in this world. Many people kill out of spite, but many others kill for peace. If we all just sat down and put our weapons away… If we could all just talk about our priorities and desires… If we think about others instead of ourselves, maybe our world wouldn’t be like it is today.”

“You’re right…” Tzuyu finally said. She understood everything Sana was saying.

“We need all of our nations to stop throwing themselves against each other. We need to become a union that understands each other.”

Tzuyu nodded.

Sana chuckled, “It’s funny, isn’t it? We are scared of so many evils in this world: drugs, guns, animals, natural disasters… We don’t realize that the biggest evil right now is humanity.”

Tzuyu nodded as she let the words sink in.

“I just follow orders… I hurt people because I’m told to. I’m a puppet for my nation,” Tzuyu said in realization.

“Many of us are, at least, I was,” Sana replied.

“You were? What do you mean?”

“I used to root for my nation and believe in its values, that was until I realized that my people planned to destroy others for their own benefit.”

“Who… Who are you?” Tzuyu asked in awe. Sana sounded so different from anyone she has ever met before.

“You’ll understand later.”

Tzuyu’s stomach growled. She felt her cheeks tint in embarrassment. Sana giggled and held up her spoon.

“Want some soup now?”

“Yes, please.”

Sana smiled beautifully as she slowly fed Tzuyu some of her soup. Tzuyu thought it was delicious. She hasn’t had properly-made food in a while. Some of the soup dribbled down Tzuyu’s chin. Sana giggled a bit as she picked up a cloth and dabbed Tzuyu’s dirty chin.

“Drink slower, the soup isn’t going anywhere.”

“Sorry, I’ve been living a rather… fast-paced life recently. I’ve been told that there is no time to enjoy anything,” Tzuyu said embarrassingly.

“Well, you’re here, not out there.” Sana continued to slowly feed Tzuyu. “Take all the time you need.”

“Okay.”

Tzuyu patiently drank her soup. She never felt so at ease before. She never felt so calm. Sana placed the pot down when Tzuyu finished. She giggled a bit as she wiped Tzuyu’s lips with the same cloth she used earlier.

“Are you fighting for someone?” Sana suddenly asked.

“What?” Tzuyu blinked.

“Is there someone you’re doing this for? You’ve implied that you don’t enjoy being a soldier very much, why are you still one? Are you fighting for someone?” Sana clarified.

“I-I’m not,” Tzuyu answered. “I honestly don’t know why I’m doing this.”

“I see a lot of potential in you, Tzuyu.” Sana smiled. “I believe you can make a difference if you tried.”

“Really?” Tzuyu look at Sana with a shy gaze.

“Yes, I just wish I could see the same potential in myself.”

“Sana…”

“I’m weak, Tzuyu. Not only physically, but emotionally. I’ve been talking so much about changing the world, but I know I don't have the heart to even attempt that.”

“You don’t appear weak at all, Sana,” Tzuyu replied with a shake of her head.

“You seem much more capable of being a strong person, Tzuyu-”

“I seem strong, but if you strip me of my weapons and my uniform, I’m nothing but a scared little girl,” Tzuyu admitted.

“I just… I just wish I can change the world…” Sana sighed.

“Maybe we can-”

“Nobody move!” A loud voice caused the cottage to tremble.

The cottage’s door was kicked down. A large man entered the room. Sana immediately turned around. She was afraid.

“Nobody move! Put your hands- Tzuyu?” The man looked at Tzuyu in shock.

“G-General…”

“Tzuyu, we’ve been looking all over for you! Where have you been?”

“I-I’ve been wounded, sir.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, this woman-”

“Turn around at once!” The general shouted at Sana.

“Sir! She helped me! She didn’t do anything wrong!” Tzuyu immediately interjected.

“Tzuyu, have you not seen the exterior of this cottage? This is clearly the home of those people,” he sneered.

“Sir, we-”

“I said turn around!” He shot at the ceiling.

Sana sighed as she turned around.

The man gasp. He then growled.

“Tzuyu, were you aware that you’ve been staying with our enemies’ princess?!” The man shouted in anger.

“Princess?” Tzuyu looked at Sana in surprise. Sana looked away. “You’re royalty? You’re part of the ministry of people I’m suppose to hate?”

The man smirked when he thought he successfully brought Tzuyu back to the right side. “She is Princess Minatozaki Sana, she’s part of the royal family-”

“I was part of the royal family,” Sana spat. “That was before they wanted me to lead the war.”

“Sana…”

“We have to take her in, Tzuyu. Or better yet, kill her now. She’s everything we’re against.” He growled, cocking his gun.

“Why? Why are we against her?” Tzuyu asked, looking him in the eyes.

The man stayed silent for a moment before roaring in anger, “Don’t question me! I am your superior! Do as I say!”

“But why?!” Tzuyu yelled back. “Can’t we just talk-”

“There’s no time to talk, this is war.” He stepped closer to the two women, keeping his gun pointed at Sana.

“Grab her, Tzuyu,” he ordered.

“I can’t…” Tzuyu looked down.

“What? Do as I say!” He shouted in frustration.

Tzuyu closed her eyes tightly before responding.

“No.”

The general mumbled under his breath while shaking his head.

“Fine, I’ll do it myself. I always knew you were incompetent.” He walked closer to Sana.

Sana just glared at the man. She wasn’t scared anymore, just angry.

“Do it,” Sana said.

“Sana-” Tzuyu held out her hand.

“That’s all you people want to do, just hurt and not understand.”

The man chuckled darkly before lifting his gun to Sana’s head. “You’re in for a world of pain, little girl.”

He put his finger on the trigger. Sana closed her eyes. Tzuyu felt the world slow down as she watched them.

Before he could pull the trigger, Tzuyu dashed towards and tackled her general down. She winced in pain as she moved her sore body, but she didn’t care.

“What are you doing?!” He shouted angrily.

Tzuyu didn’t say a word, she grabbed his gun and pointed it at him.

“Don’t follow us.” Tzuyu took Sana’s hand and led her out the doorway.

The general growled, “You’re making a mistake, Tzuyu.”

“No, I’m not.” Tzuyu shook her head. “You are.”

Sana looked at Tzuyu proudly as she was pulled out of the cottage. Tzuyu broke into a sprint when she heard her ex-general call for backup.

“We need to get out of here!” Tzuyu gripped Sana’s hand tightly as she weaved through the forest.

“Why are you doing all this?” Sana asked, barely keeping up with Tzuyu’s pace.

“I think I found someone to fight for.” Tzuyu turned around and smiled at Sana. Sana couldn’t help but smile back.

“We can do it Sana, together.”

“Do what?” Sana panted out as they continued to run.

“We can change the world together, little by little.”

Sana has never felt more happy since she ran away from home.

“What do you plan to do first?” Sana asked with a proud look on her face.

“I want to hear your story, I want to hear about your people,” Tzuyu breathed out. “I want to understand.”

“Okay.” Sana looked up into the night sky, grateful that they had darkness on their side.

“I’m glad you’ve changed, Tzuyu.”

Tzuyu nodded as she helped Sana climb over a large log. “Of course I did.”

“Are you really doing all this for me?” Sana asked quietly as she hid behind a large boulder with Tzuyu. Tzuyu smiled down at Sana and gently plucked a leaf out of her hair.

“Yes,” Tzuyu replied. She let out a deep breath as she allowed her new sense of freedom to sink in.

“You’re my reason to fight.”