Komorebi

Komorebi

- Captain! We’re under attack!

- Yeah! I think that’s quite obvious thank you… muttered an angry Taecyeon before declaring red alert on all decks. Call me Chansung on the bridge! I wanna know how the hell we’ve ended up in such a mess, he yelled over the blasting siren. And cut that thing off for god’s sakes!

- Yes, captain!

 

Junho nervously pushed some buttons that seem to do the job and calmed the noise as well as the captain before a surprisingly composed Hwang Chansung appeared on a the shaking bridge.

 

- It was never their intention to sign the treaty captain. I guess they wanna take the ship down as a demonstration of their military force to send a message to the federation, the young first officer reported to his captain that was yelling orders here and there as to how to fight back. They chose the wrong target though.

- Yeah we’re almost done with them, Taecyeon growled eyes glued to the screen. Why does this always happen to us… Why can’t this happen to M. perfect diplomacy… he sarcastically retorted.

- Come on Cap’, Khun has his fair share of issues as well. He’s not-

- But no one has tried to take down HIS ship, Taecyeon interrupted. How many times has it been already hm?

 

Turning his head from the screen the captain glared in Chansung’s direction and the young officer knew it was best to remain silent. It was more of a rhetorical question anyway. No ship under the federation had been attacked as much as the USS Promise was over the last years. It was known as the battleship of the fleet. The one you send where no one wants to travel. That’s what the members all signed up for. That’s why the federation especially sent him and his crew on dangerous missions. He was an adventurer. A man of thrill and danger that expressed himself best in risky situations. But at some point or another, even the greatests need some rest.

 

- I’m tired of this, he whispered as the last Klingon’s ship bursted into space with Taecyeon’s final shooting order. Junho, see with Woo in the engeniry if he needs any help. Chansung, sick bay, Minjun might need hands there as well, he sighed and the boys left the bridge quickly with one swift bow.

 

He stood in front of his chair, personally making sure that the danger was long gone, extinct even, like all the Klingon’s lives that were ended in the sudden battle that day.

The ship was in a relatively good condition though it suffered some strategic hits but Wooyoung was a splendid chief engineering despite his eccentric personality and as usual he surpassed all the expectations of his already high demanding captain.

On the crew’s side, the casualties were rather light and to reward all of his men, Taecyeon set course to the nearest peaceful planetoid for a shore leave he thought everyone deserved.

Some beamed down once the destination was reached and even though Minjun -as a friend but also as a concerned doctor- strongly advised the captain to do the same, the stubborn young male remained in his ship. There was no way he would leave her after such a fight anyway. Anyone who remotely knew or heard of Ok Taecyeon would have known that. The ship was one of the three most important things in his eyes, the safety of his crew being the second one. The ship needed company while her wounds were “healed” and he needed time alone to let out some pressure more than anything.

After numerous official reports sent to the headquarters and one entry in his captain’s log, the man left the bridge, promptly walking toward his favorite place in all that humongous ship.

 

***

 

Night was ending, dawn piercing through the trees, light scattered on the ground as the rising sunlight made its way through the woods. The whole scene had a soothing feeling. Calm, peace was what he was looking for and Taecyeon felt light hearted instantly. The autumn season was finally there at least in this heavenly place. The ocher leaves on the ground, the faded green ones remaining in the old trees with the huge roots covered in moss.

Hypnotised, Taecyeon just walked there for a while, entering the forest even deeper as the sun rose. It was magical. The dappled light, the birds chirping, the dead wood cracking with each of his steps. He had no other need than to aimlessly walk among the trees and vegetation yet he knew exactly where he was going. He wasn’t afraid of getting lost, it was impossible, this was a tricky place he knew it but there was no need to be cautious.

When the cold humid weather reached his bones, he sneezed a few times and smiled as he reached a glade with a huge tree hiding a small cabin in the woods. Stepping into the unique room of the cabin, he started a fire that filled the place with a delicious smell and warmth that helped the stressed and exhausted captain to fall asleep in a comfy old chair.

 

***

 

- The Komorebi? asked Junho to his friend that nodded with a worried sigh. It’s that bad ugh.. the pilot added turning his head to look at the door of the locked simulator.

 

***

 

When Taecyeon opened his eyes awake after his nap, the room was different. There was shelves filled with books covering the walls, some were scattered on the ground and he smiled tenderly as he stretched his sore body.

 

- I’ve always wondered how you’ve managed to enter the simulator… he said to the boy that instantly lifted up his nose from his captivating book.

- You never knew? The first time, it was a malfunction of the program. I wanted the Library and the simulator made me one… but in your Komorebi section.

- And now?

- Maybe i’ve reprogrammed your simulation to let me in each time... adding a few thing or two? Chansung looked at Taecyeon with those big innocent eyes of his and the captain just laughed it off, sliding to the ground to steal a kiss from his first officer.

- You’re using your authority to enter my privacy, that’s very bad, I should report you, Taecyeon smiled against Chansung’s lips, the latter straddling Taec’s lap, his arms wrapped around the older man’s neck.

- I’m just worried about you, plus, I like this place. And don’t even try to deny it, you were quite happy for us to have a secret hideout when we started dating, the youngest chuckled in between the butterfly kisses they were giving to each other.

 

Taecyeon nodded with a cheeky smile. What Chansung said was entirely true.

The federation never banned relationships on board their ships. In fact, when you spend several years in outer space, you can’t seriously expect people to turn into monks and nuns. But even if a ship as big as the Promise was the equivalent of a small town cruising across different universes, being the captain of it take a bit away the privacy you can enjoy when you have fewer responsibilities. Even more when the one you’re seeing is the man ranked just below yourself.

 

- You remember when the fed suggested me to take on a new mission? Taecyeon finally spoke after a long while, both men enjoying a long cuddling session that was probably needed as much as a good rest.

 

Chansung knew exactly what Taecyeon was talking about and nodded without a word, letting the man he was loving for while now, sort his thoughts and voice them. It took a few clearing of his throat, a scrunch of nose and a long frown before Taec felt finally ready to expose what was bothering him.

 

- It’s uncharted territories Chan… Where no man has gone before... It won’t be a calm and easy mission… It will be a very, very long time in space without returning home… and I won’t force the crew to sign for this one… not that I have ever forced them to blindly follow me everywhere anyway… but you understand what I’m saying… he said nervously, with short sentences and long pauses in between them. Anyway what I’m saying I guess is that I need fights and action but I also need some time to breathe and prepare in between each challenge. I’m tired of playing the federation’s kamikaze. I’m not as good as a diplomat as Khun but I think it’s a fairly good mission that I want to accept… What do you think? he ended a bit nervous and out of breath this time.

 

Chansung smiled. No words were exchanged for a solid minute and he ran his hand into Taecyeon’s growing hair that leaned as a reflex in his palm.

 

- I think you won’t lose much of the crew members if you decide to accept. They’d follow you anywhere and you know that. Also, I think it’s what you need. A part of danger for a part of safety. It’s a good ratio. And I’d love to suggest myself as your first once more for this new adventure.

- It’s a several years mission, that means you won’t be home for.. well more than a while, Taecyeon tried to joke.

- I don’t care. I’ll be with you, Chan stated as a matter of fact. If you’re talking to me about this you must have thought this thoroughly but, how about you?

 

Chansung’s eyes were sparkling with the firelight. The pine burning in the chimney and the old books’ smell surrounding them in this cosy, too real to be true and artificially created atmosphere.

Taecyeon needed no effort in remembering that first time the program mixed their simulations. He was stepping into the cabin when he saw Chansung on the ground just like he was when he woke up. He was sitting on the floor surrounded by books, and he looked up when he opened the door, smiling right at Taec. It felt like he had been waiting for him, like he was welcoming Taec home. That's when he realised he liked him.

 

- You’re my home, Taecyeon whispered rubbing gently his nose against Chan’s before sealing their lips in a sweet and tender kiss. There's nothing else I need but you… and my ship.

 

He winked and Chan, surprised,  pinched his hip, both men rolling on the floor among the books starting a tickle fight that ended up, much later in something a bit more steamy…